• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The history of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is fascinating

Welp. Just had last class before the tournament.

I'm nervous.

I'm lucky in that I've trained Muay Thai. So I'm used to the feeling of adrenaline pulsing and how to deal with it.

Still, I'm getting that nervousness and Muay is nothing compared to this for me for some reason?

I belong there. My Jiu Jitsu won't fail me, haha.

Ha.

sk7pvCz.gif

I'm nervous.

I'm lucky in that I've trained Muay Thai. So I'm used to the feeling of adrenaline pulsing and how to deal with it.

Still, I'm getting that nervousness and Muay is nothing compared to this for me for some reason?

Ha.

You'll do great. Just have fun! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you :D

There's a bus strike here today which makes getting home from class a nightmare for me. Had to miss class again. It's either that or taxi home which I did last week and just can't afford again. Really sucks too as I just realized this week is my 6 month training anniversary!

You'll do great. Just have fun! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you :D

There's a bus strike here today which makes getting home from class a nightmare for me. Had to miss class again. It's either that or taxi home which I did last week and just can't afford again. Really sucks too as I just realized this week is my 6 month training anniversary!

Happy anniversary. :)

And thanks for the well wishes. Saved my favorite gi for it. A beautiful blue gi with my affiliate's name on it. Let's go. Gulp.

Someone hold me, I'm terrified.

Happy anniversary. :)

And thanks for the well wishes. Saved my favorite gi for it. A beautiful blue gi with my affiliate's name on it. Let's go. Gulp.

Someone hold me, I'm terrified.

In the the world of stunts there is a saying about that if you are not nervous before doing a stunt, don't do it. If you're not nervous about lighting yourself on fire, or ramming your stunt car into a 360 degree spin into a water, something is wrong with your state of mind.
This story always calmed when applying it to the pressure. You're not getting kneed in the face, but you're still going there with killers who want to crumple you.
It's normal and logical to be nervous. They will try to break you, and they have teammates and coaches rooting to see you choked out. The best you can do is to hold your own, take it as a learning experience, and try to survive. But remember to tap if you get caught!
95% of the population would not dare signing up for something like this, so by showing up you have already won. It's a learning experience, were you can bring back knowledge and perspective to your own gym. That's all it is.

My personal anecdote about tournaments /
A tournament is not a fair contest. It depends on who you face. Someone who is a beginner, or someone who is sandboxing hard and have years of prior experience in Judo/MMA/No-Gi/Wrestling/Sambo/whatever. It doesn't really matter, because the only person you're fighting is your fear.

In my mind, the person you're fighting in there is yourself because facing opponents, is something you do all the time in sparring. What causes adrenaline dump is the pressure we put on ourselves and our fears; Not wanting to disappoint your coach or teammates or to make a fool of yourself. For others its the accomplishment of winning and not wanting to lose. Moreso for competitive personalities.
But it's also just being in a unfamiliar environment performing in front of crowds who will see you be mounted with your head mushed against the floor while you're being stretched like a yoga victim in a skiing accident- There are so many people yelling and noise it's hard to hear your coach telling you what to do.
So there is a lot of things that can cause that adrenaline dump. Even for extremely strong and well conditioned people who can roll a lot in training without getting tired, can be tired in 30-40 seconds. You see it often in high level MMA and Boxing too. Hench the classic saying "the fight is won before the fight even starts".

Adrenaline Dump to me feels like you're being sapped of all your strength like it is some magic shit. You're gripping the gi so hard, you're defending takedowns so hard, you forget to breathe. you're an alien in your own body. It's one of the most what-the-fuck experiences you can possible have.
But when you conquer it and you find a footing- somewhere to be comfortable in a uncomfortable situation, that is true power and really, really shows you can perform under pressure, in a real situation and that you can act. I believe this type of pressure to perform under tense situations like this is also what helps you being able to be assertive in a real world confrontation.
Looking back at it, going into competition has yielded both disappointment and ecstasy for me, but either way, I've felt it has been a vehicle for growth I wouldn't be without.

Good luck :D

In the the world of stunts there is a saying about that if you are not nervous before doing a stunt, don't do it. If you're not nervous about lighting yourself on fire, or ramming your stunt car into a 360 degree spin into a water, something is wrong with your state of mind.
This story always calmed when applying it to the pressure. You're not getting kneed in the face, but you're still going there with killers who want to crumple you.
It's normal and logical to be nervous. They will try to break you, and they have teammates and coaches rooting to see you choked out. The best you can do is to hold your own, take it as a learning experience, and try to survive. But remember to tap if you get caught!
95% of the population would not dare signing up for something like this, so by showing up you have already won. It's a learning experience, were you can bring back knowledge and perspective to your own gym. That's all it is.

My personal anecdote about tournaments /
A tournament is not a fair contest. It depends on who you face. Someone who is a beginner, or someone who is sandboxing hard and have years of prior experience in Judo/MMA/No-Gi/Wrestling/Sambo/whatever. It doesn't really matter, because the only person you're fighting is your fear.

In my mind, the person you're fighting in there is yourself because facing opponents, is something you do all the time in sparring. What causes adrenaline dump is the pressure we put on ourselves and our fears; Not wanting to disappoint your coach or teammates or to make a fool of yourself. For others its the accomplishment of winning and not wanting to lose. Moreso for competitive personalities.
But it's also just being in a unfamiliar environment performing in front of crowds who will see you be mounted with your head mushed against the floor while you're being stretched like a yoga victim in a skiing accident- There are so many people yelling and noise it's hard to hear your coach telling you what to do.
So there is a lot of things that can cause that adrenaline dump. Even for extremely strong and well conditioned people who can roll a lot in training without getting tired, can be tired in 30-40 seconds. You see it often in high level MMA and Boxing too. Hench the classic saying "the fight is won before the fight even starts".

Adrenaline Dump to me feels like you're being sapped of all your strength like it is some magic shit. You're gripping the gi so hard, you're defending takedowns so hard, you forget to breathe. you're an alien in your own body. It's one of the most what-the-fuck experiences you can possible have.
But when you conquer it and you find a footing- somewhere to be comfortable in a uncomfortable situation, that is true power and really, really shows you can perform under pressure, in a real situation and that you can act. I believe this type of pressure to perform under tense situations like this is also what helps you being able to be assertive in a real world confrontation.
Looking back at it, going into competition has yielded both disappointment and ecstasy for me, but either way, I've felt it has been a vehicle for growth I wouldn't be without.

Good luck :D

Very impressive post. I admit I don't want to let my teammates and coach down. I will also be doing this in front of my boyfriend and family. I admit I want to break and choke out my competition as well.

DKehoe

If anyone is interested, a few years back the Wrestling Observer had a really interesting article on the history of the Gracies and Vale Tudo. It's almost 21,000 words so I won't post it here. But if it's something people would want to read I could see about uploading it somewhere.

First ever gi only class yesterday and it's fair to say that my happiness at grabbing that sub in no gi a couple days back was extinguished. I couldn't do anything, I completely gassed in the second roll and I had four more to go. 20 minutes of agony. I was legit seeing black dots just from tiredness. gi's... I don't like them and I don't think I ever will.

I love the gi game. It's like rolling with a weapon. Bow and arrow chokes, ezekiels, baseball bat chokes; all incredibly fun, IMO.

So my comp is tomorrow. I went with the team and we are staying overnight. It looks really tough but I have to swallow my fear and just go do my thing. I'll have to see it as a learning experience and treat it like any other class. We are going out for acai after so I know that'll help calm the nerves.

I have no idea what the fuck acai is. You can go out for it? Like there's acai restaurants?

We're rooting for you Cindi!! You'll do great :D

I have no idea what the fuck acai is. You can go out for it? Like there's acai restaurants?

We're rooting for you Cindi!! You'll do great :D

It's a fruit native to Brazil. It goes great after a workout. Not the most healthy but it tastes delicious and is kinda energizing.

Thanks!!

Thanks. IMO you should give competition a try once or twice. I learned so much. I feel like I learned months worth of BJJ in a single day in a matter of hours. Walrus is right when he says it's mostly against yourself and I think that could be positive for you to experience at least once.

I lost all of my matches except one.

I got my stripes today. Two at once in fact!

I brought my BJJ notebook for note taking and it took about 20 minutes to write down everything. I also think I made a friend in one of my competitors. I met people from all over the world who came here with the same goal in mind: hauling ass and doing BJJ. I feel so confident right now. Like I did something incredible. Highly recommend. Can't believe I met people from around the world because of jiu jitsu.

For some reason, after getting striped and combined with the tournament...I'm hungry. I'm not talking about actual hunger (though there's that too) but I'm hungry for more jiu jitsu like I've never felt before.

Speaking of food, eating sucks now because I was put into the cross collar choke of my LIFE today.

Thanks. IMO you should give competition a try once or twice. I learned so much. I feel like I learned months worth of BJJ in a single day in a matter of hours. Walrus is right when he says it's mostly against yourself and I think that could be positive for you to experience at least once.

I brought my BJJ notebook for note taking and it took about 20 minutes to write down everything. I also think I made a friend in one of my competitors. I met people from all over the world who came here with the same goal in mind: hauling ass and doing BJJ. I feel so confident right now. Like I did something incredible. Highly recommend. Can't believe I met people from around the world because of jiu jitsu.

For some reason, after getting striped and combined with the tournament...I'm hungry. I'm not talking about actual hunger (though there's that too) but I'm hungry for more jiu jitsu like I've never felt before.

Speaking of food, eating sucks now because I was put into the cross collar choke of my LIFE today.

Man thats great! So glad to hear about your promotion too. Sounds like you earned it. Youre a full year training now right? So 2 stripes was definitely earned. And congrats on the win!

Great job:D

Winning is great it is not to downplay the achievements one can have winning medals, but it really is secondary to the wisdom and insight you get about yourself and others.

You walk through hell and you conquered yourself, and you make it work. And so just showing up is one hell of an achievement. Not something one should take lightly. You've done something most people don't dare do- And that is throwing yourself with lions and lionesses.

Teammate story from tonight /

Start Cooper made this doc with Robson Moura years ago, where he talks about how he would always just be the worst in tournaments and how he had no success, and how he really eventually came into his own; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWKvBzcL7PI

I'm thinking of this because at tonights training one of my training partners is a guy called Anders, and he had trained for 7 years before he got his Blue Belt. He is the only guy i've seen our instructor get genuinely frustrated at. For all the time I've known him, it seemed like Anders was slow-dimwitted and had no flair at all for BJJ.
He seemed unhinged, unintelligent and had this groggy way of talking past others. Like he'd be on a different frequency. As you can imagine his confidence wasn't high, but everyone liked him because he was sweet as a kitten and really meant well. He just didn't have have sense of visual learning. He just wouldn't get it. We'd see a move and when being paired up with Anders he just wouldn't get it. We'd spend 15 minutes just doing a relatively simple move.
No Anders that's a bull pass. No, the other leg. No' grip the collar. Yes, no- pull that-
So over the years I've known Anders his ability to show up have flucturated. Sometimes I won't see him for 3 weeks, and this is one of the kings that betrays the question "how long have you trained". Anders started 9 years ago, but Anders has probably not more than 2-3 years of a dedicated attendance. Showing up only once or every so often is just not enough to see real growth.

Then over the last 5-6 months, I started seeing Anders more and more. He'd be there 2-3 times a week and suddenly he was beginning to give some real resistance. He got this wacky guard with hypermobile rubber knees, where he is incredible awkward trying to sweep or pass his guard. And he just got so good so fast, and now- in mere months it's reached a point where he is giving me trouble.
And so I asked him what was up, because he seemed like a completely different person, and he basically explained that he was diagnosed with a form epilepsi. It turns out that Anders wasn't slow or dim witted or just didn't get it, but that he is out for micro seconds.
All his life doctors have tried to diagnose him- he has been to asylums because they thought he was weird, he has seen many neurologists and psychologists, and cardiologists trying to figure out. And all his life, people have judged him and labelled him, but since he has been on medication, he is like a different person and it really shows when rolling with him.
He is still the humble, warm guy who wouldnt hurt a fly. And Anders is still goofy. He reminds me of Donald Duck in a variant that doesn't get mad.
I'm not friends with him outside of BJJ. We don't hang out elsewhere but we've spent hundreds of hours together on the mat and I guess over the years people just become you're friends. It's hard not to. Try not to become friends with people at a place like this. There is almost just no way!

Anders like Robson was the bottom of the food chain in a martial arts with hard free sparring where you really feel it if you don't adapt. A lot of people would have quit, which is why it fascinates me when I meet people who don't. As I get older I find that it is often unlikely people who don't quit.
I've personally quit many things over my life, and I've seen talented young people who it came easy to- They could have gotten to a real high level, but they sort of sometimes take it for granted. There are things I take for granted and that I've quit which came easier to me due to my privilege, the help I got, the advantages I have. It feels good to be appreciative. We can do these things, but many people can't. Millions of people have bodies that are ruined and broken and they will never be able to use it. That sense of not taking it for granted to use your body to its full potential in the short while you have it seems scary. Your body is like a rent-a-car. you don't get to keep it, so be sure to drive it to its fullest with no regrets. For me it also means that if I should get a injury that would stop or inhibit me from ever doing BJJ again, I'd not feel regret because I know I didn't take it for granted and I got the most of it while I had the chance. I feel it takes off some of the anxiety.

Great job:D

Winning is great it is not to downplay the achievements one can have winning medals, but it really is secondary to the wisdom and insight you get about yourself and others.

You walk through hell and you conquered yourself, and you make it work. And so just showing up is one hell of an achievement. Not something one should take lightly. You've done something most people don't dare do- And that is throwing yourself with lions and lionesses.

Teammate story from tonight /

Start Cooper made this doc with Robson Moura years ago, where he talks about how he would always just be the worst in tournaments and how he had no success, and how he really eventually came into his own; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWKvBzcL7PI

I'm thinking of this because at tonights training one of my training partners is a guy called Anders, and he had trained for 7 years before he got his Blue Belt. He is the only guy i've seen our instructor get genuinely frustrated at. For all the time I've known him, it seemed like Anders was slow-dimwitted and had no flair at all for BJJ.
He seemed unhinged, unintelligent and had this groggy way of talking past others. Like he'd be on a different frequency. As you can imagine his confidence wasn't high, but everyone liked him because he was sweet as a kitten and really meant well. He just didn't have have sense of visual learning. He just wouldn't get it. We'd see a move and when being paired up with Anders he just wouldn't get it. We'd spend 15 minutes just doing a relatively simple move.
No Anders that's a bull pass. No, the other leg. No' grip the collar. Yes, no- pull that-
So over the years I've known Anders his ability to show up have flucturated. Sometimes I won't see him for 3 weeks, and this is one of the kings that betrays the question "how long have you trained". Anders started 9 years ago, but Anders has probably not more than 2-3 years of a dedicated attendance. Showing up only once or every so often is just not enough to see real growth.

Then over the last 5-6 months, I started seeing Anders more and more. He'd be there 2-3 times a week and suddenly he was beginning to give some real resistance. He got this wacky guard with hypermobile rubber knees, where he is incredible awkward trying to sweep or pass his guard. And he just got so good so fast, and now- in mere months it's reached a point where he is giving me trouble.
And so I asked him what was up, because he seemed like a completely different person, and he basically explained that he was diagnosed with a form epilepsi. It turns out that Anders wasn't slow or dim witted or just didn't get it, but that he is out for micro seconds.
All his life doctors have tried to diagnose him- he has been to asylums because they thought he was weird, he has seen many neurologists and psychologists, and cardiologists trying to figure out. And all his life, people have judged him and labelled him, but since he has been on medication, he is like a different person and it really shows when rolling with him.
He is still the humble, warm guy who wouldnt hurt a fly. And Anders is still goofy. He reminds me of Donald Duck in a variant that doesn't get mad.
I'm not friends with him outside of BJJ. We don't hang out elsewhere but we've spent hundreds of hours together on the mat and I guess over the years people just become you're friends. It's hard not to. Try not to become friends with people at a place like this. There is almost just no way!

Anders like Robson was the bottom of the food chain in a martial arts with hard free sparring where you really feel it if you don't adapt. A lot of people would have quit, which is why it fascinates me when I meet people who don't. As I get older I find that it is often unlikely people who don't quit.
I've personally quit many things over my life, and I've seen talented young people who it came easy to- They could have gotten to a real high level, but they sort of sometimes take it for granted. There are things I take for granted and that I've quit which came easier to me due to my privilege, the help I got, the advantages I have. It feels good to be appreciative. We can do these things, but many people can't. Millions of people have bodies that are ruined and broken and they will never be able to use it. That sense of not taking it for granted to use your body to its full potential in the short while you have it seems scary. Your body is like a rent-a-car. you don't get to keep it, so be sure to drive it to its fullest with no regrets. For me it also means that if I should get a injury that would stop or inhibit me from ever doing BJJ again, I'd not feel regret because I know I didn't take it for granted and I got the most of it while I had the chance. I feel it takes off some of the anxiety.

Right. Makes me grateful I can do this stuff. But even then, have you seen that one kid who is paralyzed from the waste down? Or was it he had no legs period? I don't remember, but I do remember this. Kid got gold in a tournament.

Also, it's about impossible to not form relationships with people while rolling. I think a lot of people underestimate the physical contact aspect and how it's helpful in building relationships.

That's such a heart warming story and I'm glad you shared it. 15 minutes doing a relatively simple move? Aren't most white belts like that?

I absolutely hate that I can't train as much as I would like to. Last week I trained 4 hard days and I woke up Saturday morning with an odd pain in my back. It wasn't typical lower back pain but a bit higher and deeper. I assumed it was kidney pain and after reading up on it, I may have been dehydrated. I am 41 and my body simply doesn't recover or react like it did. Although I drink 40 ounces of water during my workouts, for whatever reason, it doesn't seem to be enough. This, along with minor pain in my thumb, jaw, and foot, are causing me disappointment this new week. I'm finally at a school with a great schedule but my body seems to wanna limit me to no more than 3 classes a week. Guess I'll mix in some weight training in the week.

this makes me consider signing up for a class with my local gym :3

Most gyms do a free intro class. You should check it out!

Think I got sandbagged tonight. Rolled with a new guy, said I was his third ever class but he straight smashed me and triangled me. My first 3 classes I didn't know my ass from my elbow. He also seemed to know a ton of guys at the gym too which is odd for someone on day 3.

Rough rolls tonight tho, even aside from that. A 4 stripe WB built like a brick shithouse laid on top of me for 2 minutes choking me. Armbar'd twice by another chap. The one good bit of rolling I managed was getting a guy around my level into my closed guard, grabbed his collar and he instantly postured up, allowing me to incredibly awfully situp sweep him straight into a collar choke. It was a poor imitation of a situp sweep I watched on YouTube but fuck it, it worked!

Writing down what I did tonight in my bjj journal but gotta say I'm really proud of the team. Before drills, coach pulled a teammate out to demonstrate the technique before she gave a demo. He rolled with three people in a row to show off the tech and ended it with a great submission. I feel grateful to be surrounded by people who are willing to help each other out and lend a helping hand when people are struggling and people who push each other to become the best we can. It feels amazing and humbling being surrounded by such killers. Dude went on to roll two more times that class. Beast mode.

Going to Newbreed and I have to push myself like that.

Most gyms do a free intro class. You should check it out!

Think I got sandbagged tonight. Rolled with a new guy, said I was his third ever class but he straight smashed me and triangled me. My first 3 classes I didn't know my ass from my elbow. He also seemed to know a ton of guys at the gym too which is odd for someone on day 3.

Rough rolls tonight tho, even aside from that. A 4 stripe WB built like a brick shithouse laid on top of me for 2 minutes choking me. Armbar'd twice by another chap. The one good bit of rolling I managed was getting a guy around my level into my closed guard, grabbed his collar and he instantly postured up, allowing me to incredibly awfully situp sweep him straight into a collar choke. It was a poor imitation of a situp sweep I watched on YouTube but fuck it, it worked!

Definitely sounds like a sandbagger. Maybe he was a wrestler?

Nothing more uncomfortable than being choked for two whole minutes. I'm glad the sweep worked.

I absolutely hate that I can't train as much as I would like to. Last week I trained 4 hard days and I woke up Saturday morning with an odd pain in my back. It wasn't typical lower back pain but a bit higher and deeper. I assumed it was kidney pain and after reading up on it, I may have been dehydrated. I am 41 and my body simply doesn't recover or react like it did. Although I drink 40 ounces of water during my workouts, for whatever reason, it doesn't seem to be enough. This, along with minor pain in my thumb, jaw, and foot, are causing me disappointment this new week. I'm finally at a school with a great schedule but my body seems to wanna limit me to no more than 3 classes a week. Guess I'll mix in some weight training in the week.

How's the back?

3 days of rest and my back now feels amazing. Been playing out the remainder of the week's schedule in my mind hoping to still get 3 days of training in. Planning to make it to 630am class tomorrow and can't wait to get back on the mat. Not only does my back feel fine but the pain under the ball of my left foot seems to be gone as does the pain my thumb. So grateful for my health, my fitness, and this great sport of jiu jitsu.

Fox318

Has my first injury. Strained my hamstring or my knee.

I'm not in pain but there is a soreness that wasn't going away. Doc said I should be fine but I'm really hoping I'm back soon because I have a tournament coming up soon.

Definitely sounds like a sandbagger. Maybe he was a wrestler?

He said he had done TKD, but like the instant i tried to pull guard, being the filthy guard puller i am, he tried to stack pass me, got into side control, he ankle picked me when we were starting on the knees too..all kinds of things i would have had no clue about doing on day three. I dont really care tbh, if he was sandbagging its just, whatever, those kinds of people eventually get found out, or maybe he is just a natural. Either way i just dust myself off and move on. Cant get hung up on people beating you or youd never make it past day one in BJJ.

Theres a competition in Nov here. Im a little tempted to sign up. Im in no way, shape or form good enough tho and that isnt false modesty or trying to be all "no ego", im literally dreadful at BJJ. My reaction times are that of a narcoleptic tortoise and i still catch myself doing dumb shit all the time, but i do like the idea of giving it a shot in a competition.

Has my first injury. Strained my hamstring or my knee.

I'm not in pain but there is a soreness that wasn't going away. Doc said I should be fine but I'm really hoping I'm back soon because I have a tournament coming up soon.

In regard to injuries, its obvious advice but the best thing you can do is listen to your body. I hurt my shoulder a few weeks ago, which made rolling/drilling real uncomfortable. It felt better after a while but still not 100%, and i stupidly went to class and made it worse. I had a week off last week and its back to normal now, so really just take the time off to heal, BJJ will still be there when you get back to it. And its not worth training through injuries and making them 100 times worse

Brerlappin, I'm dreadful as well. But competition will also force you into survival mode and you WILL learn. Ask your coach or professor if they think you're ready. You will be fed to killers in gi's but the overall experience could make your jiu jitsu skyrocket in terms of application.

That guy sounds like a sandbagger to me. I learned how to pass guard on day one but I was still uncomfortable with the movements like hopping into side control. It's a movement that requires practice. There are two explanations: either the people he knows from the gym taught him a thing or two and it got him to try bjj and it's honestly all his knows or he's done this rodeo before and is totally sandbagging.

Today was a really good class. :)

What did you do?

Just finished now myself. I rolled with a 3 stripe WB, and I actually used some amoeba-like BJJ intelligence to ALMOST submit him haha. We started in combat base, and I stuck my leg out a little to make it a bit more inviting for an ankle pick. He took the bait and the second he went for it I slapped on a triangle attempt. Was so so close to getting it, he eventually escaped the triangle but again I almost managed to convert it into an armbar from guard. He eventually subbed my ass but congratulated me at the end of the roll by telling me i almost got him haha..made my night!

Just feels like things are clicking and stuff, ya know? Took months to feel comfortable doing BJJ. It's so hard, and I know it won't last forever because BJJ is full of ebbs and flows but today I just felt like I'm really starting to get this thing even though I got smashed. Just feel more comfortable doing bjj period. Like, there was a period where I just couldn't do moves by watching the teacher give the demo. You see them do it and you're like "yeah I got it" and then when you get your partner, it feels like you forgot how to do the whole thing and have to be guided step by step. Well, today, I watched the demo of something I've never done before and when we drilled it, I could apply what I learned visually by watching and drill it pretty rapidly. It's the small things like that which make it more fun when you don't feel like your body is a foreign entity. Drilling moves and forgetting steps is always the most annoying thing. It makes you feel like a moron. You can do steps 1 and 2, but when you get to steps 3 and 4, you forget what to do. So then you work on steps 3 and 4 and start over. But now you've forgotten the details of 1 and 2, and you've still got steps 5 and 6 to do. That happens less and less. It still happens, but not as much, and when it does, it's not as frustrating as it used to be for whatever reason.

Sounds like you're starting to get it too. Give yourself some credit!

Fox318

really miss being on the mat but I think taking the time off was the best thing for me.

Weighed in at 203 this mourning so naturally trying to lose weight to get to 190-199 shouldn't be an issue.

Though I'd love to be able to say I was below 190 just so I could see my abs for the first time ever but that's my long term goal.

I've cut weight for wrestling before but frankly I don't want to sweat it out like crazy for a same day tournament.

really miss being on the mat but I think taking the time off was the best thing for me.

Weighed in at 203 this mourning so naturally trying to lose weight to get to 190-199 shouldn't be an issue.

Though I'd love to be able to say I was below 190 just so I could see my abs for the first time ever but that's my long term goal.

I've cut weight for wrestling before but frankly I don't want to sweat it out like crazy for a same day tournament.

How long will you be off the mat? Is it an injury? Probably not helpful but look into paleo diet. It helped me with losing that kind of weight fast.

Just feels like things are clicking and stuff, ya know? Took months to feel comfortable doing BJJ. It's so hard, and I know it won't last forever because BJJ is full of ebbs and flows but today I just felt like I'm really starting to get this thing even though I got smashed. Just feel more comfortable doing bjj period. Like, there was a period where I just couldn't do moves by watching the teacher give the demo. You see them do it and you're like "yeah I got it" and then when you get your partner, it feels like you forgot how to do the whole thing and have to be guided step by step. Well, today, I watched the demo of something I've never done before and when we drilled it, I could apply what I learned visually by watching and drill it pretty rapidly. It's the small things like that which make it more fun when you don't feel like your body is a foreign entity. Drilling moves and forgetting steps is always the most annoying thing. It makes you feel like a moron. You can do steps 1 and 2, but when you get to steps 3 and 4, you forget what to do. So then you work on steps 3 and 4 and start over. But now you've forgotten the details of 1 and 2, and you've still got steps 5 and 6 to do. That happens less and less. It still happens, but not as much, and when it does, it's not as frustrating as it used to be for whatever reason.

Sounds like you're starting to get it too. Give yourself some credit!

That's awesome, seems like the competition has definitely fired you up!

That's awesome, seems like the competition has definitely fired you up!

Likely not. It's probably just a change in mindset. It's really stressful forgetting something you drilled later in the day. Being more proactive and writing down what I learned that day and what happened during the rolls is helping me recall stuff more easily, and it really helps when you're learning something new. I think going from 3 days to 4 days also helped. I could be wrong! I mean, BJJ is hard enough as it is and I think being more involved just helps a bit to help weather the storm due to how tough it is.

@ Super Deluxe made a fun little BJJ physics video / https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPuZiFXqCz4

Right. Makes me grateful I can do this stuff. But even then, have you seen that one kid who is paralyzed from the waste down? Or was it he had no legs period? I don't remember, but I do remember this. Kid got gold in a tournament.

Also, it's about impossible to not form relationships with people while rolling. I think a lot of people underestimate the physical contact aspect and how it's helpful in building relationships.

That's such a heart warming story and I'm glad you shared it. 15 minutes doing a relatively simple move? Aren't most white belts like that?

@ Oh yeah it's normal for white belts to have it take a long time. But my friend would miss crucial details because he is gone for those micro-seconds. so you could say to anders "anders grap the lapel" - And then he wouldn't understand. So in that sense it was just more regular.

I often have classes where I don't nail the move.

This week we've been doing a Bernando Faria pessure pass. This one specifically: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eU2MKcq5we0

It's been a good time to learn this for me because there is another guy who is my size. He is from Marcedonia and 240-250 powerlifter. The pressure really becoms a lot to drill over and over for an hour against someone who is much smaller.

I learned some really interesting details about controlling the hip. My problem with passing right now is that often I tend to get frustrated when I am halfway through passing and they recover guard, and I make a mistake and they pull the arm to recover. I waste a lot of energy passing and that is a problem.

I look at other big guys and I see them smashing with bull passes and under and overs like they do on the MMA team. I really feel the hip pressure negates my bodys ability to do the;

That is AMAZING. Doesn't it make it easy to get it with a choke because of the exposed head though?[/QUOTE]
Most chokes from the bottom are weak and the passer can easily posture to relieve pressure. Bottom person can't guillotine either because the shoulder pressure is keeping the bottom person's torso down. That said, I love to pressure pass but don't like to keep my head on their torso in between the their waist and neck.

If I am in closed guard, I will open it and then work to half guard. From there it's game on; I will either leg weave pass, flatten them out with a cross face, or stay very low in half guard and pass like on this Ribeiro Bros vid.

My cross face game is dangerous. My previous coach really helped improve my Ezekiel where when I get a cross face I'm always threatening. Bottom guy gets distracted by my choke attempts while I work to pass half guard with my legs. A great tip i learned when I do cross face is to properly base with my elbows nice and wide and apply lots of shoulder pressure to their chin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXcviuVHMgI

I realize chokes from the bottom aren't the best. When I try it it's really easy for it to break because since you're on the bottom you don't always have the best grip. But I'm shocked he wouldn't try to go for something with his opponents head exposed like that. Maybe that's my white belt logic.

I'm nervous.

Ha.

sk7pvCz.gif

I was in your same position last year. Years of Muay Thai competition and doing my first JiuJitsu tourney I was getting super nervous. I think it was because it was so new to me. But Kickboxing confidence helped me win the JiuJitsu tourney. I trained like I was getting ready for a kickboxing fight because that is all I know. Cardio on point and I cut weight like I usually do. I don't think the lower skill levels take it as seriously. Won gold. But this year I took a big step up in skill level division. Got smoked by my first opponent. I was able to work my way back to getting at least 1 win and getting bronze.
My whole point....Your Kickboxing experience should give you a big confidence booster over your competition.

After the tourney I realized that as much as I hate cardio I need to do it more. Usually my "cardio" is BJJ and a five minute jog warm up on the treadmill at the gym before doing my routine. I didn't treat it like a Muay Thai fight. I probably should have. Next tournament I'll train the way I was trained in MT. This will include a lot of cardio. God I hate cardio.

Glad to see another experienced Muay Thai fighter here. Why'd you switch to BJJ?

Fox318

How long will you be off the mat? Is it an injury? Probably not helpful but look into paleo diet. It helped me with losing that kind of weight fast.
Thanks . actually I just had my first Muay Thai class since then and I feel great.

Frankly it was the first 6 days in 2 months that I didn't work out.

I'm doing keto right now and I'm slowly losing weight.

Top Bottom