• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The history of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is fascinating

Fox318

Nope. With this. ;_;

iEEgUDJ.jpg

That gi is baller but wouldn't be allowed by my affiliate lol. Maybe a Goku or Vegeta rash guard...

Well that must be amazing training for pressure. You'll lose weight and while you do you'll get used to be smashed by a 260 pound guy. That'll teach you amazing technique if nothing else. Silver lining.

Getting neck cranked is no fun with somebody that big.

Also rolling in the cage with him is fucking hard as hell. The walls don't make for any good escapes.

Congrats on your purple belt? Great news.

How long have you've been training?

I started in september of 2010 so it's been 6 years. In that time, i've been out in two-three rounds of 6 months due to breaks and injuries. I think 4,5 years of dedicated training is properly a good sum up of me.

As a white belt I was helt back because I competed a lot. I was a white belt for 2,5 years. I think it was also because my instructor doesn't promote on peoples ability to just get wins. As a 240 pounder, I am advantaged by genetic disposition. Everyone has to work harder against someone my size and weight.
Comparatively I don't feel like I've been a blue for as long as most other people in my gym. Here, most are truly blue belts for quite a few years.
I feel more prepared for the purple belt, but I think it's due to just being older and more calm. When I got my blue belt everyone was going in for the kill. Becoming a target of the white belts, and blue belts putting in the work to show the disparity. Or so it feels like, hehe!

Compared to white belt I've not been that dedicated as a blue belt. Did not do well in competition at all and my attendence was much lower. As a white belt I trained 4-5 times a week. Since blue it's been 2-3 times.

The book cindi mentioned before- Jiu-Jitsu University. It says that the purple belt is where you spend a lot of time in the guard really refining technical abillity and begin to show you can deal without using the strength and smash of the blue belt.
I think there is truth in that for me, but I think right now, I need a deviation towards having a proper base, and fighting to keep top control. I still feel so damn umcomfortable on top. I want a game where I really just get into it on top.

Amazing gif and powerful words. Congrats on the purp. You don't plan on quitting now do you?

;)

No!! But it feels bittersweet as my instructor leaves on friday. I feel sad about that, as well as the many people who I've trained with who are also no longer training! All the friends you get through training and who stops at some point. It really adds up! And now I am one of the "old" guys. I sort of feel like it's up to people like me to keep up a good gym culture and help beginners.
We have a local tournament next saturday. I'm not competing but I am gonna see if I can get others to join me and just cheer for our teammates and take pictures. Morality has been a bit low at our gym after our instructor has been gone so much. It hurt the culture a bit. But our new instructor is great too fortunately^_^

Conor is really cool! I'm a big fan, even though I cheered for Diaz!

Tomorrow's the big day for me, my first (free trial) class at Legacy. I'm a nervous wreck to be honest. What should I expect going in? I think the class is one hour long and they're going to provide me with a loaner gi. I'm guessing I should just show up with shorts/t-shirt to wear underneath it? Anything I should look out for?

Tomorrow's the big day for me, my first (free trial) class at Legacy. I'm a nervous wreck to be honest. What should I expect going in? I think the class is one hour long and they're going to provide me with a loaner gi. I'm guessing I should just show up with shorts/t-shirt to wear underneath it? Anything I should look out for?
Legacy was formerly a Gracie Barra school and their fundamental classes are all run the same way. You'll be asked to read the etiquette, sign the waiver, and put your loaner gi on before class so get there about 15 minutes prior class starts.

Once class begins you'll fall in line based on rank. The you'll go through a 10-15 warm up with push ups, jumping jacks, bridges, collar choke sit ups, break falls, etc. You won't be familiar with many of these movements so you just follow along as best you can. Try to find anyone besides a white belt to stand behind through warm ups so you can mirror them.

Next, you train techniques and drill them with a partner. Usually mount escapes, closed guard attacks, etc. After drilling you'll likely spar starting from a specific position, either full mount or closed guard. If there's enough time, there might be full sparring where you'll likely be asked to sit on the sidelines for a round and just watch. If you get asked/allowed to spar then you'll be partnered with someone who knows what they're doing. That partner won't be trying to take your head off; they're usually someone who has some technique and can show you some jiu jitsu magic. Class will end, you line up by rank again, and shake everyone's hand.

Relax, have fun, and enjoy your class. There's really nothing to be nervous about.

Legacy has an extensive schedule, what time is your class?

Camajise summed it up, all id add to that is make sure you trim finger & toenails beforehand. Absolutely dont forget that. Not only does it stop you cutting your partner, it stops you from losing a fingernail if someone strips a grip you have on their gi.

Legacy was formerly a Gracie Barra school and their fundamental classes are all run the same way. You'll be asked to read the etiquette, sign the waiver, and put your loaner gi on before class so get there about 15 minutes prior class starts.

Once class begins you'll fall in line based on rank. The you'll go through a 10-15 warm up with push ups, jumping jacks, bridges, collar choke sit ups, break falls, etc. You won't be familiar with many of these movements so you just follow along as best you can. Try to find anyone besides a white belt to stand behind through warm ups so you can mirror them.

Next, you train techniques and drill them with a partner. Usually mount escapes, closed guard attacks, etc. After drilling you'll likely spar starting from a specific position, either full mount or closed guard. If there's enough time, there might be full sparring where you'll likely be asked to sit on the sidelines for a round and just watch. If you get asked/allowed to spar then you'll be partnered with someone who knows what they're doing. That partner won't be trying to take your head off; they're usually someone who has some technique and can show you some jiu jitsu magic. Class will end, you line up by rank again, and shake everyone's hand.

Relax, have fun, and enjoy your class. There's really nothing to be nervous about.

Legacy has an extensive schedule, what time is your class?

Wow, thank you so much for the detailed reply. I think knowing these things will help me walk in a bit more calm. My class is scheduled for 6:30pm and I think the lady I spoke with said it's about an hour long.

Camajise summed it up, all id add to that is make sure you trim finger & toenails beforehand. Absolutely dont forget that. Not only does it stop you cutting your partner, it stops you from losing a fingernail if someone strips a grip you have on their gi.

Noted and will do so after work! Thanks!

Had my first class since getting sick tonight. Jesus I'd forgotten half of the little bit I did know!

I felt kinda bad tho, I rolled with a girl and I'd never seen her before so I didn't know if she was a total newbie or what. I went a bit light, until she showed she was experienced enough to almost sweep me and do a good job retaining her guard so I figured she's good enough for me to properly roll with.
We were doing collar chokes from guard in drills so that's what I tried on her, only problem was she had long hair in a regular pony tail. So her hair got caught in my hands and I think it pulled some out when I did the choke as she looked in real pain. I stopped immediately and was like shit I'm so sorry are you okay?? She just kinda whimpered "no.." and left the roll. The instructors to pair her with me again later and it looked like she refused (it was hard to tell without my glasses on but it looked like she was saying no and motioning toward me).
I felt bad about it but at the same time maybe tie your hair up before simulating murder with people

Wow, thank you so much for the detailed reply. I think knowing these things will help me walk in a bit more calm. My class is scheduled for 6:30pm and I think the lady I spoke with said it's about an hour long.

Noted and will do so after work! Thanks!
So how did you enjoy your first class?

So how did you enjoy your first class?

Well, about 12 hours removed it, it was an amazing experience. I'm hurting but I feel great. The 3 hours leading up to class I was a complete wreck to be honest. I do have a bit of social anxiety and I was constantly on the verge of just saying fuck it and skipping the class. But I was tired of always quitting on myself and never really trying the things I want to try so I sucked it up and went in.

Everyone was really nice and I was quickly setup with a loaner gi after signing the waiver form. I was introduced to the professor and got on the mat and was promptly lost during the warm up. The pushups/situps I was ok with but they busted out some moves I never seen before so I did my best to mimic what I was seeing.

After that we drilled two techniques, I couldn't even begin to tell you what they were but luckily my training partner was massively patient with me and was coaching me through the moves. We ended with a free rolling which I was equally as lost in. I just did my best to grab my partners collar and try to keep him away from me.

I tapped a bunch, mainly to chokes. It was fascinating. I felt lost. I didn't know jack shit. But it was great. I felt amazing afterwards despite being on wobbly legs and totally gassed. I ate a bit of a CBD edible before bed to help offset some soreness but I'm definitely hurting a bit this morning.

I have a free week which I couldn't have timed worse. I probably won't be able to take another class until Tuesday. We haven't discussed price yet I'm just hoping it's not overtly expensive. That'll be the only thing holding me back.

Well, about 12 hours removed it, it was an amazing experience. I'm hurting but I feel great. The 3 hours leading up to class I was a complete wreck to be honest. I do have a bit of social anxiety and I was constantly on the verge of just saying fuck it and skipping the class. But I was tired of always quitting on myself and never really trying the things I want to try so I sucked it up and went in.

Everyone was really nice and I was quickly setup with a loaner gi after signing the waiver form. I was introduced to the professor and got on the mat and was promptly lost during the warm up. The pushups/situps I was ok with but they busted out some moves I never seen before so I did my best to mimic what I was seeing.

After that we drilled two techniques, I couldn't even begin to tell you what they were but luckily my training partner was massively patient with me and was coaching me through the moves. We ended with a free rolling which I was equally as lost in. I just did my best to grab my partners collar and try to keep him away from me.

I tapped a bunch, mainly to chokes. It was fascinating. I felt lost. I didn't know jack shit. But it was great. I felt amazing afterwards despite being on wobbly legs and totally gassed. I ate a bit of a CBD edible before bed to help offset some soreness but I'm definitely hurting a bit this morning.

I have a free week which I couldn't have timed worse. I probably won't be able to take another class until Tuesday. We haven't discussed price yet I'm just hoping it's not overtly expensive. That'll be the only thing holding me back.
Awesome, you've just described how everyone's first class went.

"Learning to be comfortable in uncomfortable situations" is one of jiu jitsu's greatest lessons and is something that you can carry with you throughout life. Every time you step foot on the mat you face a challenge. There's always going to be someone better than you and if there isn't you challenge yourself to be better than you were the last time you stepped on the mat.

Awesome, you've just described how everyone's first class went.

"Learning to be comfortable in uncomfortable situations" is one of jiu jitsu's greatest lessons and is something that you can carry with you throughout life. Every time you step foot on the mat you face a challenge. There's always going to be someone better than you and if there isn't you challenge yourself to be better than you were the last time you stepped on the mat.

This is something that really focusing me on this endeavor. I've been too comfortable in my own life with work/hobbies. I rarely push myself so just showing up to class last night was an unbelievable accomplishment for myself.

It's tickling a part of my brain that hasn't been tickled before. It's engaging and it's motivating me. I can't wait to see myself grow in this art.

This is something that really focusing me on this endeavor. I've been too comfortable in my own life with work/hobbies. I rarely push myself so just showing up to class last night was an unbelievable accomplishment for myself.

It's tickling a part of my brain that hasn't been tickled before. It's engaging and it's motivating me. I can't wait to see myself grow in this art.

Yup. Join up I say. It will become frustrating a few months in but it's worth it. You'll start seeing your entire body as one giant puzzle piece. The brain tickling is infectious since there's counters to counters and escapes to your escapes. You will be on the bottom for many months, but one day you'll be on top giving someone the business. It is highly rewarding and I will not in any way try to deter you. I'm happy you got to experience it!

Can you tell us what class schedule was like? What did warm ups consist of? Can you try to describe the drills of the moves you learned? How many rolls?

Keep coming and you'll eventually feel less lost. It takes months but you'll get there if you keep coming!

Fox318

I think my gi might be a bit too big or I need to shrink it because everyone else has these skin fucking tight gis that don't have any room to grab a hold of.

Yup. Join up I say. It will become frustrating a few months in but it's worth it. You'll start seeing your entire body as one giant puzzle piece. The brain tickling is infectious since there's counters to counters and escapes to your escapes. You will be on the bottom for many months, but one day you'll be on top giving someone the business. It is highly rewarding and I will not in any way try to deter you. I'm happy you got to experience it!

Can you tell us what class schedule was like? What did warm ups consist of? Can you try to describe the drills of the moves you learned? How many rolls?

Keep coming and you'll eventually feel less lost. It takes months but you'll get there if you keep coming!

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I thought to myself (right before a collar choke appeared on me) "this is going to be frustrating for awhile". And I'm ok with that because I know with time the drilling will pay off and I'll start seeing results.

I'll do my best to remember what we did. We opened with warm ups of jumping jacks, pushups, squats, break falls, a couple different ab crunch variations, and hip escapes. We also did something I THINK was called the cradle, laying on our backs we had to roll ourselves foward onto one leg while having the other leg kinda bent under us. Terrible explanation but that's the best I can offer lol We finished with a few random stretches for our legs.

The first technique we drilled was escaping from a headlock from someone who is in side control. We had to push against the persons neck, hip escape, roll them over and advance to an arm bar.

The second technique I've already forgotten as I type this and that's frustrating me. I can't remember the starting position but the technique involved a hip escape and swinging your legs around the person to catch them in your full guard.

After that we had some free rolling, at this point I was needed a lot of breaks to catch my breath but I would guess my partner and I rolled about 5-7 times maybe?

It's exciting and I'm now on the hunt for YouTube channels to watch and just indulge myself. My body definitely hasn't been pushed like this in years, if ever. I'm so completely and utterly sore in places I didn't even think of. I have mat burns on my feet and Gi burns on my knees and they're so tender to the touch. But I want more.

I'm starting to look into some Gi's and I want to buy 2 and some various rash guards so any recommendations are fully welcome. And any tips in general from everyone here will certainly be welcome as well.

iddqd

Just wanted to cry to everyone here, not able to train for a while due to a bruised rib.
I already feel chubby and every social media post my gym does ("great training today...") is a STAB INTO MY HEART!

That's all. Super nice to see higher belts posting their experiences.
I'm one of those 10 year white belts due to moving a ton and mostly training at MMA / No Gi places.
Plan before the injury was to finally get some color on my waist. Now its mostly Nutella!

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I thought to myself (right before a collar choke appeared on me) "this is going to be frustrating for awhile". And I'm ok with that because I know with time the drilling will pay off and I'll start seeing results.

If anything, ive found the longer you train, the worse you seem to get at BJJ lol. At least some days it seems that way. It is super frustrating at time but you cant let it get to you. Like last night we were rolling, start with a guy in my guard, went to grab his collar and do a hip bump sweep - ERROR "HIP BUMP SWEEP TUTORIAL.MP4 NOT FOUND" - and im left sitting there with my hand in this dudes collar doing fucking nothing while hes trying to pass my guard. That kind of shit is frustrating as hell. But its jsut part of being a noob i guess. I shouldve jsut done the sweep wed been drilling that evening, but my dumb ass was like "no, hell be expecting that!!" .... :/

I'll do my best to remember what we did. We opened with warm ups of jumping jacks, pushups, squats, break falls, a couple different ab crunch variations, and hip escapes. We also did something I THINK was called the cradle, laying on our backs we had to roll ourselves foward onto one leg while having the other leg kinda bent under us. Terrible explanation but that's the best I can offer lol We finished with a few random stretches for our legs.

The first technique we drilled was escaping from a headlock from someone who is in side control. We had to push against the persons neck, hip escape, roll them over and advance to an arm bar.

The second technique I've already forgotten as I type this and that's frustrating me. I can't remember the starting position but the technique involved a hip escape and swinging your legs around the person to catch them in your full guard.

After that we had some free rolling, at this point I was needed a lot of breaks to catch my breath but I would guess my partner and I rolled about 5-7 times maybe?

It's exciting and I'm now on the hunt for YouTube channels to watch and just indulge myself. My body definitely hasn't been pushed like this in years, if ever. I'm so completely and utterly sore in places I didn't even think of. I have mat burns on my feet and Gi burns on my knees and they're so tender to the touch. But I want more.

I'm starting to look into some Gi's and I want to buy 2 and some various rash guards so any recommendations are fully welcome. And any tips in general from everyone here will certainly be welcome as well.

Sounds good. Try not to over induldge on YouTube. You may overwhelm yourself with the amount of technique available. Jiu Jitsu is practically infinite and between what you learned in class and the videos you're watching, you may go into overload. Try to not do that.

Remembering technique is hard, right? You can forget a move the second you walk out those doors. My suggestion is keep the moves and rolls in your head on the ride home or whatever. And when you get home, write what you learned. It will keep you engaged, increase memory, and allow you to chart progress so when you have one of those bad weeks you can go back to the first page and say,"look how far I've come. This is nothing."

As for gis, two is a good number. As for rashguards, you don't have to buy one. Any type of compression shirt will do. I got a Nike compression shirt for example and it cost 10 dollars. A lot of rashies are in the area of 40-60. You can go get a cheap compression shirt at any athletic store or Ross (are you American?) or something. That isn't to say don't buy a rashguard, because they're cool as fuck and I have one myself, but don't think you need a rashguard. We only use them because they're safer (you don't get caught up in someone's loose t-shirt), it can't be grabbed, and it whicks away sweat.

The first two or months are pretty "easy" because you realize you suck and internalize it and you're at the bottom. But then month three rolls around and you realize "I still suck. I've been doing this three times a week for three months. It feels like I can't do shit. I'm still on bottom. I can barely swim here." This will be your first real test. Push through it. When that happens, remind yourself that you're much better than you were when you started. And you're much better than you were last week.

I posted this earlier but it is absolutely essential viewing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_oB5vvhQw8

Its the jacket.

A3.

Try shrinking it. Wash it and then put it in the dryer for a bit. Leave it in there for five minutes. Take it out and then try it on. Does it fit better? If not, put it back in until it does. If that doesn't, try rewashing it on hot. If that doesn't work, ask your school if you can try on gi jacks a size below and see how well A2's fit you. Order an A2 online if possible.

Just wanted to cry to everyone here, not able to train for a while due to a bruised rib.
I already feel chubby and every social media post my gym does ("great training today...") is a STAB INTO MY HEART!

I'm one of those 10 year white belts due to moving a ton and mostly training at MMA / No Gi places.
Plan before the injury was to finally get some color on my waist. Now its mostly Nutella!

I'm so sorry. I don't know what I'd do in that situation. BJJ and the gym have become so ingrained in my life. When I was sick the other month and missed a week of both I wanted to die. It was then that I realized I need this stuff in my life or else I get depressed for whatever reason. I can't explain it. Any way for you to stay active in the mean time even if it's not BJJ?

Legacy schedule is extensive with fundamental classes early morn, noon, and 2-3 night classes. There's even noon classes both sat and sun. Take advantage of the free week. No reason to wait til next Tuesday.

As far as gis, I wouldn't recommend paying more than $100 on your first gi. You can sometimes find good $60 gis at www.bjjhq.com and www.rollmore.com. I have a preference to Adidas www.acsgear.com/shop/jiu-jitsu as their sizing fits my body type, they're preshrunk, they have a modern cut, and their quality control is better. Never have I received a jiu jitsu product of theirs that had frayed fabric or bad stitching.

It's a tough one mate. If it is any comfort, you might want to know that when injury sets in, a lot of people indulge in eating unhealthy. You can get away with eating a certain amount of calories when you're training, but when you're not burning those 2000-4000 calories during a BJJ session it can mingle. Kasting had a video about this actually, and his consensus was; Don't lose hope even when you're out injured.

It's such a mindfuck, and I've seen super skilled beast fighters get injured and be out for a year or more. the rehabilitation training can kill your drive and make you feel depressed, and then you eat poorly which makes you feel like shit. It's just a slippery slope.

Maybe something you would benefit a lot from is looking at what you could do and train around your injury. I heard a story from Eddie Bravo about one of his students who had this mentality when he was injured where he needed to set new goals. So he was really unflexible and when he was injured with his neck and couldn't grapple, he decided he would learn to do splits in 3 weeks. So he spend a lot of time every day on stretching, and after 3 weeks (apparantly?) it was possible even for a guy who was not flexibile. He seemed to work at it for hours every day, and when he got back to the gym his game had changed completely because of this new flexibility.

Maybe what you want to do is do some core exercises- maybe you will see if you can get to a point where you can do a plank for 5 minutes or do 200 push ups. You can do things that will make you feel better.

And I am saying this to myself as well. I know what it's like, and I know the feeling of that nothing will make it better again, but the reality is: We will all get injured. It's an unfortunate side effect of combat sports.
What is important is that you don't give up. You've already outlasted many who have belted higher than you and burned out. So don't be discouraged!

Sounds good. Try not to over induldge on YouTube. You may overwhelm yourself with the amount of technique available. Jiu Jitsu is practically infinite and between what you learned in class and the videos you're watching, you may go into overload. Try to not do that.

Remembering technique is hard, right? You can forget a move the second you walk out those doors. My suggestion is keep the moves and rolls in your head on the ride home or whatever. And when you get home, write what you learned. It will keep you engaged, increase memory, and allow you to chart progress so when you have one of those bad weeks you can go back to the first page and say,"look how far I've come. This is nothing."

As for gis, two is a good number. As for rashguards, you don't have to buy one. Any type of compression shirt will do. I got a Nike compression shirt for example and it cost 10 dollars. A lot of rashies are in the area of 40-60. You can go get a cheap compression shirt at any athletic store or Ross (are you American?) or something. That isn't to say don't buy a rashguard, because they're cool as fuck and I have one myself, but don't think you need a rashguard. We only use them because they're safer (you don't get caught up in someone's loose t-shirt), it can't be grabbed, and it whicks away sweat.

The first two or months are pretty "easy" because you realize you suck and internalize it and you're at the bottom. But then month three rolls around and you realize "I still suck. I've been doing this three times a week for three months. It feels like I can't do shit. I'm still on bottom. I can barely swim here." This will be your first real test. Push through it. When that happens, remind yourself that you're much better than you were when you started. And you're much better than you were last week.

I posted this earlier but it is absolutely essential viewing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_oB5vvhQw8

That's a great idea about writing down what I learned in a given class. Definitely going to start doing that. And yes, I'm American and there's a Ross within a few minutes of me. I'll look into just getting some compression shirts/shorts.

Legacy schedule is extensive with fundamental classes early morn, noon, and 2-3 night classes. There's even noon classes both sat and sun. Take advantage of the free week. No reason to wait til next Tuesday.

As far as gis, I wouldn't recommend paying more than $100 on your first gi. You can sometimes find good $60 gis at www.bjjhq.com and www.rollmore.com. I have a preference to Adidas www.acsgear.com/shop/jiu-jitsu as their sizing fits my body type, they're preshrunk, they have a modern cut, and their quality control is better. Never have I received a jiu jitsu product of theirs that had frayed fabric or bad stitching.

Unfortunately my schedule over the next few days is jam packed as it is. I might be able to squeeze in a class on Sunday but realistically Tuesday is looking to be my best bet.

Here's a sample from my bjj journal. I have a Word document and type it while eating after I shower when I get back from class. Just a random snip:

Mood: Pretty good
Sleep: 7 hours
Class time: 10:30 AM
Body: great shape
Technique practiced: From ground, opponent tries to grab, counter, scoot back. If their knee steps in, push it in, and then scoot back. If collar grab, flick it away, scoot. If they grab feet, circle feet and plant hands on the mat, scoot. If they step in, lift off with R leg with knee bent, grab knees, plant head against torso, takedown.

I chart who I rolled with, how much sleep I've gotten, how my body feels that day so if I'm not feeling well I can deduce to whether or not I got enough sleep or if my body is wearing down for injury prevention.

Rolled with the professor today. It was, um, stressful? Trying to not get freaked out by the fact I was rolling with my teacher did not work. At all.

Definitely going to do the journal thing, that sounds like a great idea. What's the best way to deal with mat burns on the top of your feet? I figured I'm going to need some athletic tape to wrap around my foot to cover up the burns for my next class.

Nakazato

Have decided to take BJJ up going to likely look into in next month. Kinda of excited haven't don't any martial arts since I was 10.

Journal is useful especially for open mat. Open mat is a hands off "class" where you can practice any technique, what you learned, roll with people you otherwise wouldn't roll with (they are almost always upper belts). So when learning, it's a good idea to keep a journal and then on the day of open mat, take a look at what you learned that week so you can work on it during open mat for extra drilling/rolling xp. If you've a question in regards to how to work defense, open mat is probably your place. If you're struggling with a move, open mat is a great time and place to drill with the instructor. Open mat usually has the best jiu jiteros there and you will have their respect just by coming to a place with so many sharks.

A big tip for journal is to make it simple, short, and sweet. Otherwise you'll never write down in your journal.

Don't know about mat burn. I've never really had that problem for whatever reason.

Have decided to take BJJ up going to likely look into in next month. Kinda of excited haven't don't any martial arts since I was 10.

Congratulations!

Getting a stripe on my white belt next week, I'm in an SBG gym so I have to do that Iron Man thing. Pretty nervous about it, like I feel sure everyone is going to tap me out.

Getting a stripe on my white belt next week, I'm in an SBG gym so I have to do that Iron Man thing. Pretty nervous about it, like I feel sure everyone is going to tap me out.

That's crazy you have to do that for a stripe. They just hand them out randomly based on performance at my gym.

Had a rough weekend thanks to work, and it only got worse today, ended up skipping training as I was just too damn exhausted. Back at it on Thursday.

After a much too busy weekend I ended up sick. Today was my last day of my 1 week free trial at the local jiu jitsu spot. And I'm leaving on vacation in a few days. So I likely won't be able to sign up and get back to it for 2 weeks. I'm pretty bummed as I was hoping to get at least 2 more sessions in before leaving.

Get rest Berlappin!

Cheers Cindi! Made it back tonight and it was a really small class. Hardly anyone there. So our Prof just had us do some drills and then spar for what felt like about 10 hours lol.

It was a great class tho. I got smashed to bits, I smashed another dude to bits, I can barely move right now! I'm so happy tho, finally managed to land the Ezekiel, twice! On the same guy too lol. I love the Ezekiel, it's so damn sneaky

How much are ya'll paying for your classes? Last night I went to class just to watch and talk with the manager gal. It's $156/month with a $99 registration fee. That seems like crazy high to me, or is that the norm?

Fox318

mine is 115 a month no contract.

I get striking, BJJ, and Catch as Catch Can as part of it.

Other gym I saw that was near to me was like $200 a month with a 2 year contract

How much are ya'll paying for your classes? Last night I went to class just to watch and talk with the manager gal. It's $156/month with a $99 registration fee. That seems like crazy high to me, or is that the norm?
That's the norm for the extensive schedule Legacy offers. Some schools charge less but their schedules are limited in comparison.

Expect to pay between $100-200 a month.

Yikes. I talked to 10th Planet and they charge $105 but only have 4 classes a week. Going to need to think about this, $105 is a bit more doable but their schedule isn't really that great for me. Hmmm

Yikes. I talked to 10th Planet and they charge $105 but only have 4 classes a week. Going to need to think about this, $105 is a bit more doable but their schedule isn't really that great for me. Hmmm
There's a few more in the area-
NoHo MMA
Valley Martial Arts
Checkmat Burbank
Dartanian BJJ
Subconcious BJJ
Hayastan

BJJ is definitely one of the most expensive MAs to train. I remember my face just dropped when they told me the price of my gym. 90 euro per month. Plus 70 for the Gi. I'm still surprised I even signed up

Fox318

I can't complain too much because not many people even go to the grappeling classes.

There are maybe 30-40 people that rotate in and out of striking classes every week/month and what feels like 7 people max that go to Catch wrestling.

Even less for BJJ most don't love the gi.

The class size for that is usually like 4 for me.

I always find it odd that more people would be willing to get punched in the face than roll around.

Top Bottom