• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The hype around Starfield is massive, and growing.

Ozriel

M$FT
The game will easily sell 20m copies on Steam over time. Xbox sales will be dismal.

The bragging from the Xbox fans in this thread, as though Xbox have had any positive contribution to this game, is laughable.

It’s a first party Xbox game, all tabs have been picked up by MS since 2021, including signing off on a year long delay for polish. Plus extensive QA support from Microsoft as reported.

I'll still not understand why this game was 'chosen' by the masses to be hyped to begin with. Just another Beth game that'll be a buggy mess like the past titles from them.

“Bethesda RPGs aren’t popular and have no fanbase”

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
It’s a BGS/Todd Howard game and would have launched exactly as is without the acquisition happening.

Pretty sad to try and claim otherwise.
That's not true. Not that any of this matters, but they literally delayed the game fairly publicly for a year. And we know MS committed a large amount of resources to QA. Phil also said during the Redfall damage control interviews they committed engineering resources early as well. It's all been said publicly.

Everyone always knew this is how it would go though. If it's shit, it's all MS fault. If it's good, MS has nothing to do with it.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Y'all ..

F4D_FUjWgAAS6p9
Can’t be real. Omg if it’s real!

Mods are going to be fucking sick.

Last edited:

Interfectum

Gold Member
why not just play on Gamepass?
Steam bro. Easy Steam Deck utilization, Steam Big Picture mode for easy controller navigation and use on a TV, mods, friends lists, etc.

I could hack Xbox Game Pass games into Steam but I'd rather just buy the game on Steam and have it... don't want to worry about Steam compatibility issues and keeping up a subscription.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
That's not true. Not that any of this matters, but they literally delayed the game fairly publicly for a year. And we know MS committed a large amount of resources to QA. Phil also said during the Redfall damage control interviews they committed engineering resources early as well. It's all been said publicly.

Everyone always knew this is how it would go though. If it's shit, it's all MS fault. If it's good, MS has nothing to do with it.

No kidding.

I love you Banjo64 Banjo64 but we can easily look up plenty of posts from you correlating Redfall and Xbox in the same sentences.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
That's not true. Not that any of this matters, but they literally delayed the game fairly publicly for a year.
And BGS couldn’t have delayed a game without Microsoft? Where’s your evidence for that?

And we know MS committed a large amount of resources to QA. Phil also said during the Redfall damage control interviews they committed engineering resources early as well. It's all been said publicly.
This is like an amateur boxer offering advice and guidance to Mohammed Ali.

Why on earth would BGS need Xbox Q&A or engineers?

I have no doubt it’s been offered, probably taken up. Has it had a material effect, no chance.

Of course.

Weird how this wasn’t a common consensus when Redfall released to terrible reviews.
I know nuance doesn’t work when you’re being disingenuous, but Microsoft can be responsible for the final say on releasing a game and at the same time have had no impact on a game’s development.

Mind blowing I know.

adamsapple

Feel free to pick out some specific posts if you like and I’ll happily address any issues you have one by one (y)

No, please. I am not looking for addressing on them at this point.

Just the very first post in the search page is enough, you've used Redfall as an example of a microsoft game here, plenty of other posts to go around but I'll just use this one example for now.

Imagine Uncharted with the production values of Redfall and Crackdown :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_loudly_crying:

Starfield is just as much of a Microsoft game as Redfall is/was.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
No, please. I am not looking for addressing on them at this point lol. Just the very first post is enough to show it.

Just the very first post in the search page is enough, you've used Redfall as an example of a microsoft game here, plenty of other posts to go around but I'll just use this one example for now.
What is that supposed to prove sorry?

That Redfall is a Microsoft game?

Did I say Starfield is not a Microsoft game?

Just to refresh your memory, this is all I said:

as though Xbox have had any positive contribution to this game, is laughable.

Last edited:

SenkiDala

Yawn, this tired shlock again.

Redfall is fully on Microsoft, Starfield they had nothing to do with.

🥱
Ahah that's exactly this. If a MS studio game is a failure "HA ! Microsoft again !" if it's a success "Good Lord, MS didn't poison the development, congrats to the devs"...

Like when a mom tells a dad "LOOK WHAT YOUR DAUGHTER DID!!!" when she does something bad and "AH ! THAT IS MY DAUGHTER !" when she does something good.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
I have no doubt it’s been offered, probably taken up. Has it had a material effect, no chance.
This doesn't even make sense. So you think MS has people working on polishing it, but the game would be literally identical if they didn't do anything. What are these people working on then? I don't get it.

If you don't remember, listen to the Kinda Funny Xbox Phil Spencer interview talking about Redfall. He compares their involvement between Redfall and Starfield, which is all most people have ever claimed. Everyone knows MS isn't directing the game and making creative decisions about it. They're helping with funding, engineering support (probably optimizing for X and S), and extensive QA.

Topher

Gold Member
Yawn, this tired shlock again.

Redfall is fully on Microsoft, Starfield they had nothing to do with.

🥱

Some people have blamed MS for Redfall. Some have said MS has nothing to do with Starfield. The problem is assuming they are the exact same people. I'm sure some folks have contradicted themselves on this, but weaponizing a generalization doesn't make sense.

No, please. I am not looking for addressing on them at this point.

Starfield is just as much of a Microsoft game as Redfall is/was.

Is that post supposed to be some gotcha here? I'm not seeing it. You said Banjo64 Banjo64 correlated Xbox and Redfall in the same sentence in "plenty" of posts and yet your example doesn't show that at all.

adamsapple

Just to refresh your memory, this is all I said:

as though Xbox have had any positive contribution to this game, is laughable.

But that's also decidedly not true.

MS gave Bethesda more than a years worth of extra time so as not to rush the game out, they also devoted pretty much most of its internal Q/A staff members to the project to help Bethesda.

If that's not a positive contribution to the game, I don't know what is.

Last edited:

Vox Machina

Banned
This doesn't even make sense. So you think MS has people working on polishing it, but the game would be literally identical if they didn't do anything. What are these people working on then? I don't get it.

If you don't remember, listen to the Kinda Funny Xbox Phil Spencer interview talking about Redfall. He compares their involvement between Redfall and Starfield, which is all most people have ever claimed. Everyone knows MS isn't directing the game and making creative decisions about it. They're helping with funding, engineering support (probably optimizing for X and S), and extensive QA.

1. Endless concern trolling -> "It's a Bethesda game. It'll be a broken, buggy mess at launch!"
2. Microsoft commits extensive engineering and QA resources, and foots the bill for an entire year of delay
3. Game launches and it's high quality (remains to be seen of course, but early feedback seems to be pointing towards that result)
4. Microsoft had nothing to do with this

Tired Monday GIF

Let's see how it turns out.

Banjo64

cumsessed
But that's also decidedly not true.

MS gave Bethesda more than a years worth of extra time so as not to rush the game out, they also devoted pretty much most of its internal Q/A staff members to the project to help Bethesda.

If that's not a positive contribution to the game, I don't know what is.
Ok, and you are welcome to disagree with me - but why did you bring up my post history about Redfall and Xbox as if it was some gotcha moment?

1. Endless concern trolling -> "It's a Bethesda game. It'll be a broken, buggy mess at launch!"
2. Microsoft commits extensive engineering and QA resources, and foots the bill for an entire year of delay
3. Game launches and it's high quality (remains to be seen of course, but early feedback seems to be pointing towards that result)
4. Microsoft had nothing to do with this

Tired Monday GIF

Let's see how it turns out.
I know you’ve never been one for rational thought Mage, and you do like to do these ‘hypothetical arguments’ where you put words in people’s mouths: but I love BGS, this game will be just as good or better than the Fallout and TES games that came before it.

adamsapple

Ok, and you are welcome to disagree with me - but why did you bring up my post history about Redfall and Xbox as if it was some gotcha moment?

That's not a gotcha, it's just an example of how there wasn't a specific disassociation to Microsoft when it came to Redfall.

We know they (MS) have had a pretty positive impact on Starfield's development both in terms of giving the developers more time and providing them additional first party resources they wouldn't have had if it was still a third party multi-platform game releasing in 2021.

When was the last time we read anyone talk about a BGS single player RPG not having any bugs in the first ~15 hours. It's unheard of.

Vox Machina

Banned
I know you’ve never been one for rational thought Mage, and you do like to do these ‘hypothetical arguments’ where you put words in people’s mouths: but I love BGS, this game will be just as good or better than the Fallout and TES games that came before it.

A) I'm nobody's alt.
B) I should have qualified that the part about the concern trolling over quality was not specific to any individual.
C) I still disagree that this game will have launched the same without Xbox's involvement.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Own them until someone revokes a license or bans your profile.

I still have OG Xbox games that look and run brand new. Maybe i’m a unicorn?
Digital is forever, if you catch my drift.
Even obscure 80's prototype games are available to the masses. Nothing can ever be truly revoked as long there's an open internet.

Verily, that which is good hath not sprung forth from the realm of Xbox, for behold, that which is wicked hath ever been begotten by the hand of Xbox

PaízoStathmós 29 verse 40 from our holy book

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Hopefully you're watching the correct order of episodes, not the way Fox originally butchered it by airing episodes out of order when the show was on TV.
I’m just going by what Hulu has them in order by. This will probably be the 4th time I have watched the series though.

Last edited:

Perrott

Hard to take your analysis serious when you claim GamePass is more popular on PC than console, or that historically Steam sales are significantly impacted by PC Gamepass.

Cyberpunk 2077 also sold approx 10.2 million copies in slightly over one year on PC alone

PuVRB7P.png

And much of this was under a cloud of bad reviews on Steam.
The PC Game Pass thing - a 3:2 ratio between PC subs and console subs - has been well known for a while, not my fault that this is the first time you heard of it.

Regarding Game Pass butchering Steam sales, of course its gonna happen. I mean, if you have north of 15M PC Game Pass subscribers, a lot of those are not going to double dip and pay an additional 70 dollars or more for a game they'd already have access to, unless they're looking to take advantage of the early access but those people are not going to be anywhere near the majority of Starfield's player base. I also bet that people are not going to be double dipping on buying a game they already have access to via sub in a fall/holiday season so packed of hugely anticipated game releases as that of this year.

Regarding the Cyberpunk numbers, you've literally confirmed the point I had stated in my previous comment: that Cyberpunk's PC sales were in the 8-12M units range to date, because only two additional million copies have been sold across all platforms since December 2021 up until March of this year.
Er you realize its been the no.1 most wishlisted game on Steam since the steam page went up a year or two right?, it also was no.1 best global seller for over 8 days when pre-orders went up 3 or 4 months ago. Its going to be massive on Steam.

Also The last data we had for Gamepass numbers was around 10mil subs on Xbox, from around 21mil Series owners. And around 15mil subs on PC, but thats from over 200mil PC players.

Anyway people try and twist it, the game is going to be massive, on PC anyway.
I'm not trying to twist anything, just saying that the "20 million sales in 18 months" simply seems completely unreasonable to me, with Starfield releasing on day one on a subscription service with 25-30M users and on only two platforms, one of which is the least popular of all console ecosystems and has a problem of shrinking game sales in general. I just don't see how the numbers could get there in such a short span of time.

And don't get me wrong, I'm dying to play this game and hoping it'll be the very best it can possibly be. Just search my GAF post history, you'll see that I was one of the few defending this game all the way back to 2019 from the stupid, ignorant claims of it running on the same old Bethesda engine without any significant overhauls and that sort of shit. Hell, I'd been anticipating its release since before it was officially announced, when we only had a trademark for it.
You are going to be surprised.
There are a out 25 million XSXS out there.
You have about 135 million active users on Steam. Bethesda is one of the highest rated PC centric developers out there, so this will easily be one of the biggest selling games on PC.
Diablo 3 sold over 30 million copies on PC alone, and Starfield will have more mass appeal on PC than Diablo does.
While Gamepass will take away some sales for sure, you also have to add those users into the sales equation. There are also a ton of people paying for early access on top of their GP subscription cost.
MS pulls in between 4-5 Billion a year in subscriptions, which is people paying for their games in a different way.
This game is going to make a shit ton of money.
I don't doubt that it is going to be successful, just not to the extent of selling 20 million copies in 18 months and I've already stated my point about it, so I don't think it makes sense to go over and over with this discussion until we have some initial sales figures of the game three weeks from now.

I estimate 5 - 6 million copies sold on PC through the end of the year and 1.5 - 2 million copies sold on Xbox consoles in the same time frame. Altogether 6.5 million - 8 million copies sold in just under four months for a brand new IP would be stellar numbers.

MMaRsu

No one denies that Starfield will sell millions, but let's be real here. Starfield is a new IP and is skipping one major platform on launch, which means more limited playerbase. GamePass will also definitely impact game sales. Microsoft themselves admitted game sales decrease because of GamePass during recent trial about Activision Blizzard's acquisition, so it's hardly a hot take

Also, if we follow data you showed, the game sold only slightly over 3 millions of copies on Xbox One in a year, which had much higher userbase than Xbox Series. Data from the chart also includes people who bought it for PS5 and Xbox Series as these versions were forward-compatible with new consoles
Playstation was never the best place to play Bethesda games though, and most fans of Bethesda games know this. I think most will buy an xbox or set up a pc for it.

cheststrongwell

my cake, fuck off
This game needs to come out before the internet tears itself apart arguing about stupid shit like title screens and sales numbers!

MMaRsu

I've really loved the Starfield trailers so far, but I hope we get something close to this epicness

But this is honestly one of the best trailers ever made in my opinion haha. Ofcourse Skyrim is goated.

I know its a Starfield thread but it does get my hyped to think of what Todd will do with TES6, it should be insane. One gen away boys.

Top Bottom