• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The hype around Starfield is massive, and growing.

M.W.

rXAEaFL.jpg

That FOV looks a bit rough. I hope there's a slider.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
You can get the premium upgrade on gamepass
Pay $35 to play on Friday ? Pretty slick deal.

My worry is the Xbox gamepass pc version won’t be moddable like steam version.

Without DLSS I’m scared to do pc gamepass version because this game seems poised to suck without it.

Midn1ght

So you can't seamlessly travel around the planet either by foot or with your ship.

If I understand well, when you land somewhere, you have a definite radius of land available to you for traveling until you reach the boundary. So if I want to travel to another part of the same planet, I'll have to take my ship and land somewhere else on that planet. Am I getting this right?

It's fine by me and I understand that Starfield is a very different game than NMS, but man, one of the coolest thing in NMS is actually transitioning from space to planet and just freely flying around the planet and finding a beautiful spot to land on. I hope the gameplay in space is good and that there's a lot of things to discover outside of planets (huge spacecraft, battles, space stations, etc...) cuz in NMS flying in empty space gets old fairly quickly.

So you can't seamlessly travel around the planet either by foot or with your ship.

If I understand well, when you land somewhere, you have a definite radius of land available to you for traveling until you reach the boundary. So if I want to travel to another part of the same planet, I'll have to take my ship and land somewhere else on that planet. Am I getting this right?

It's fine by me and I understand that Starfield is a very different game than NMS, but man, one of the coolest thing in NMS is actually transitioning from space to planet and just freely flying around the planet and finding a beautiful spot to land on. I hope the gameplay in space is good and that there's a lot of things to discover outside of planets (huge spacecraft, battles, space stations, etc...) cuz in NMS flying in empty space gets old fairly quickly.

If you don't have a narrative structure, you can do whatever the hell you want.

Midn1ght

If you don't have a narrative structure, you can do whatever the hell you want.
Of course, I know it's a bad comparison, I'm just talking about what made me love NMS in the first place, the feeling of freedom and seamless travel between space and planets. I would sometimes spend hours just traveling between systems to find the one super beautiful planet, fly around and find a spot to build a small base. Very relaxing.

I wonder if something similar would have been possible had they chose to limit the scale of the game to say 20-50 handcrafted planets instead of a thousand generated one.

Still, I'm sure the feeling of immensity and discovery will kick in when I'll finally play the game. Oblivion, Fallout 3 and Skyrim are among my favorite game of all time so I'm not too worry.

Of course, I know it's a bad comparison, I'm just talking about what made me love NMS in the first place, the feeling of freedom and seamless travel between space and planets. I would sometimes spend hours just traveling between systems to find the one super beautiful planet, fly around and find a spot to build a small base. Very relaxing.

I wonder if something similar would have been possible had they chose to limit the scale of the game to say 20-50 handcrafted planets instead of a thousand generated one.

Still, I'm sure the feeling of immensity and discovery will kick in when I'll finally play the game. Oblivion, Fallout 3 and Skyrim are among my favorite game of all time so I'm not too worry.

I guess once you get into planet scale, even a single one will be too big to create a narrative structure and unique content.

I recently played Skyrim, it's not biggest world out there, but everything feels perfectly distanced. You feel the calm of exploration between landmarks but it's not distant, and doesn't take you out of combat or npc interaction for too long.

GymWolf

Gold Member

Without DLSS I’m scared to do pc gamepass version because this game seems poised to suck without it.
Does the game remain in your library if you use gamepass to play but then buy the upgrade and don't renew gamepass again?

Fess

This is the option Elite Dangerous sorely needed and to a lesser extent, No Man's Sky. At least in NMS, everything in the system took less than 40 seconds to get to. Meanwhile in Elite, some far off planets and stations could take around 10 minutes. 15 at the most from the arrival point.
Yeah, long time No Man’s Sky player, dabbled some with Star Citizen too. I am so NOT bothered by getting from planet to space in seconds! Doing the entry through the atmosphere was fun the first 20 times or so, after that it became annoying.

But I know I’ll miss flying over the planet surface to scout for cool stuff. I think it can be annoying to have to go back and forth between space and landing spots or have to traverse on foot or with the jetpack. Could’ve done it like in og NMS when you couldn’t crash into the planet, and maybe also have the space ship fly slowly, don’t have to go full blast like some Star Wars dogfight scene if the engine can’t keep up.
Oh well. Maybe they’ll give us some planetary exploration vehicle in an expansion in the future.

Last edited:

MMaRsu

they have way too many points of interest to do on 20-50 planets.

MMaRsu

I'm gonna buy armoured core for the fuck of it and play some missions to tide me over.

I'm too hyped.

Just finished outer worlds which gives me a week break. Watching interstellar tonight.
Armored Core 6 is very cool so far, I really like it. Problem is nothing is holding my interest lmao

GymWolf

Gold Member
Pretty sure it still shows up in your library since it is installed on the device, but it isn't playable until you renew GP.
So it's not really a good deal imo, you pay 35 dollars to no even own the game, in some key sites it doesn't cost that much more, but it is the standard edition.

Not that i'm telling people how to spend their money, after buying the absolute shitshow that was ff7repuke in digital at full prices so i can't even re-sell it, i'm the last person who can speak really :lollipop_squinting:

spons

Gold Member
Yeah the premium upgrade stuff in Game Pass is kinda stupid, you can also buy Forza Horizon premium addons without owning the game, but when you decide to stop paying for Game Pass you're left with only the upgrade and not the game to play it with. If they want to get serious with Game Pass they should at least have a tier to pay for where you get everything a game offers, like Ubisoft+ has (which includes the ultimate editions for every game they offer).

twilo99

Gold Member

Yes that’s what I did but I keep forgetting about the modding situation. I think you can do some modding with the gamepass version but is limited?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

That's a wallpaper worthy picture.

Beautiful.

The Premium bundle also includes the first story DLC whenever it launches, it's a good deal.

-

Last edited:
This is the option Elite Dangerous sorely needed and to a lesser extent, No Man's Sky. At least in NMS, everything in the system took less than 40 seconds to get to. Meanwhile in Elite, some far off planets and stations could take around 10 minutes. 15 at the most from the arrival point. Getting Atmos entries right was a pain in the fucking ass to where if you didn't get it right, it was a long way down from your emergency descent. Thank you for this, Bethesda.

It could go way over 10-15 minutes. The Hutton orbital run in Elite Dangerous was notorious for taking well over an hour, and there were other systems that dwarfed that.

MMaRsu

well, first lie confirmed then.
It literally says open the map to explore another region. This was a 40 minute walk in one direction, which is twice the size of Skyrim.
You can also land on the part where you ended up and explore another 40 minute, the geography lines up.

It literally says open the map to explore another region. This was a 40 minute walk in one direction, which is twice the size of Skyrim.
You can also land on the part where you ended up and explore another 40 minute, the geography lines up.
I bet someone will manage to mod this. Maybe not to have a seamless transition but at least skipping the space part and simply getting a popup saying loading new area and letting you walk on after a short load.

Fess

It was probably never said but someone's gotta try and be concerned.
Pete Hines said it in an interview at Gamescom…

I’ll try to find it and timestamp it if possible, iirc he said something like - Hmm I haven’t actually tried to walk around a planet but sure you can do that if you do have the time for it, just walk on haha

Was in the Bethesda interview with two women where the sound drop out early on.
Sounded like he actually didn’t know for sure, which was a little odd. Not sure how much dev work he actually do though.

Interestingly he also talked about the exact same funny bug as Todd about getting caught in the cargo hold when he was on foot shooting some baddies who blasted out into space.
So they both stumbled into the exact same bug… or someone was lying.

Can’t wait to play the game for myself so I can judge the game properly. I don’t trust anyone but myself at this point. Too much PR, shilling, concern and console war. 5 more days.

Edit: was probably in this live stream, no idea how to replay it

Last edited:

Dunnas

Interestingly he also talked about the exact same funny bug as Todd about getting caught in the cargo hold when he was on foot shooting some baddies who blasted out into space.
So they both stumbled into the exact same bug… or someone was lying.
that isn’t a bug. It is just something that can happen in the game.

Fess

Don't recall him saying you could walk in a straight line forever. He did say....

That’s the quote I was thinking of!
Idk to me it says you can walk around the entire planet.
Either way, likely too much busy work and for no reason just like in NMS.

Fess

that isn’t a bug. It is just something that can happen in the game.
Just thought it was interesting that it happened to them both. If it’s common then how does the engine and gameplay mechanic react to that? When you fly off a planet the normal way you start in the cockpit after the take-off sequence. If he’s in the cargo when taking off, does he start in the cargo after a baddie take-off sequence and can fight his way through the spaceship into the cockpit?

twilo99

Gold Member
So now that I have it preloaded on my xss and my PC what happens on launch day? I just hit play and off into the abyss I go or is there a patch/upgrade that happens right before?

Top Bottom