• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The hype around Starfield is massive, and growing.

Krathoon

Gold Member
IMG_20230826_064046.jpg

Fail
Yeah. That is kinda poopy. You should be able to travel across the globe, if you can.

I guess that takes too much. It makes me think that the terrain is randomly generated.

charles8771

I have a series X, I have a subscription. I have not downloaded Redfall nor will I be downloading and playing starfield for a while. Why? 30FPS.

Other then this Forum, and the same people posting starfield posts, I have not seen hype about it other then game articles saying MS needs to nail this. Which I don't think is really hype...

EDIT: And yes, I do hope they nail this and get a 60FPS going because it's been a while since I downloaded anything from the subscription other then indie titles(which were really good, btw).
HLGw676.jpg

PC gamers call filthy console peasants for some reason
"30fps is more cinematic"

In 7th gen, they were completely fine with games running at 20fps

Last edited by a moderator:

clarky

Gold Member
So now that I have it preloaded on my xss and my PC what happens on launch day? I just hit play and off into the abyss I go or is there a patch/upgrade that happens right before?
If its anything like the windows version of Redfall come launch it will delete itself instead of patching and you'll have to redownload the whole thing again.

Hence why im going the steam route this time, to be sure.

Last edited:

Ribi

I don't think so but I can see how "exploring the whole planet" might imply something like that.. but who cares, this game is so vast it doesn't really matter.
It's not that "who cares game is great" it's that people never learned their lesson after Todd has done this shit before. We shouldn't have to be lied to constantly, if they had just told us it would be fine. But never stating it is just scummy, we deserve more respect as consumers than that. Pushing it to the side just allows them to do it again and again.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
The amount of discourse around Starfield this last week both here and on the rest of the internet is insane.

One way or the other next week is going to be very entertaining. Buckle up people............

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
It's not that "who cares game is great" it's that people never learned their lesson after Todd has done this shit before. We shouldn't have to be lied to constantly, if they had just told us it would be fine. But never stating it is just scummy, we deserve more respect as consumers than that. Pushing it to the side just allows them to do it again and again.

Please tell me how Todd lied?

Its like your implying if someone hasn't spoken they're a lier....what?

Topher

Gold Member

Eh.....what was Todd's lie again?

MMaRsu

If its anything like the windows version of Redfall come launch it will delete itself instead of patching and you'll have to redownload the whole thing again.

Hence why im going the steam route this time, to be sure.

Just be glad it didnt blow up your PC in the process

AbandonedWetArcticseal-size_restricted.gif

DaGwaphics

Did they ever fix up Redfall? I have not seen any updates on Steam.

They did release a huge patch for it that was supposed to solve most of the crashes and things like that. The first map ran well for me as it was, outside of a couple hitches here and there. The second map was more of an issue, but I still had fun with it.

Honestly, I was more drawn to keep moving through it than I was the Halo campaign (which I still haven't finished), the story isn't bad at all. It's not GOTY by any stretch, but it's fun in spite of some of the negatives. I'd go ahead and give it a go as it is versus waiting for future improvements.

Topher

Gold Member
That's sort of how I imagined it would work. Be interesting to see if the pre-generated landing spots are interconnected and if we have a limit of how many additional custom ones we can create per planet.

Not sure if they have said, but I'm curious about how big each area is. Think someone said they were pretty large.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Thought it would be fitting here (?)

Good to have confirmation that the game does not perform like the trailers did.

Microsoft splurges so much money in devs and games and they can't fucking capture footage right?

Good.

This really does seem like it's shaping up to be the best Bethesda game at launch.

This was on 2011

2ddy1a.jpg

Skyrim PS3 was .. sure something ..

Last edited:

Krathoon

Gold Member
They did release a huge patch for it that was supposed to solve most of the crashes and things like that. The first map ran well for me as it was, outside of a couple hitches here and there. The second map was more of an issue, but I still had fun with it.

Honestly, I was more drawn to keep moving through it than I was the Halo campaign (which I still haven't finished), the story isn't bad at all. It's not GOTY by any stretch, but it's fun in spite of some of the negatives. I'd go ahead and give it a go as it is versus waiting for future improvements.
I must have got it on Steam after the big patch or I forgot about the patch. I found a cheap key for it and bought it because I did like atmosphere of it.

reinking

Gold Member
Not sure if they have said, but I'm curious about how big each area is. Think someone said they were pretty large.
I am curious about the content of each and hope there are interesting things to discover. I know... ...I know.. but there are thousands of planets.

The good news is we only have about 5 days to find out how all of this comes together.

Krathoon

Gold Member
One thing I found annoying with Redfall is that the characters would not talk to you unless you talked to another character first. They should have made it where all characters have something to say at any time. Like an rpg.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I wonder if all the Starfield hype is going to last as long as Skyrim hype has. Over a decade later in Skyrim is still talked about frequently. It's amazing how much people adore the game after over a decade.

SJRB

Gold Member
If this game gets even 40% of the Skyrim magic I'll be satisfied.

I'm 100% convinced they'll never get the magic as they did during the Skyrim launch, but I am legit very hyped for Starfield.

MMaRsu

This was on 2011

I had the PS3 version which turned to shit eventually due to the save file, and the amount of RAM available on the PS3 (the thing was a piece of shit for open world games lets be honest)

At least it looked good

Yes thats my video lmao 11 years ago DAMN
Uploaded three days before official release guess I got lucky hahaha

Me fooling around in Oblivion (even older 17 years ago lmao)

Last edited:

charles8771

I had the PS3 version which turned to shit eventually due to the save file, and the amount of RAM available on the PS3 (the thing was a piece of shit for open world games lets be honest)

At least it looked good

Yes thats my video lmao 11 years ago DAMN

Me fooling around in Oblivion (even older 17 years ago lmao)

Svm8NuR.png

The Xbox 360 had 512MBs of RAM, as Epic Games designed Gears of War to work with 512MBs
When MS originally planned it with 256MBs

Krathoon

Gold Member
Is this still on GameBryo or did they move on to another engine? GameBryo was getting long in the tooth.

They may have overhauled the engine since Skyrim and Fallout 4.

This always happens when you customize an engine over time. I assume they have access to the engine's source.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Is this still on GameBryo or did they move on to another engine? GameBryo was getting long in the tooth.

They may have overhauled the engine since Skyrim and Fallout 4.

This always happens when you customize an engine over time. I assume they have access to the engine's source.
It’s Creation Engine 2.

Krathoon

Gold Member
Not sure if I totally believe that. Skyrim is the most modded game on earth and one of the reasons for that is due to how easy it is to mod it.
Yeah. I think Skyrim is on a different engine. Oblivion was notorious for being jankey.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
Yeah the 360 version was great aside from some framedrops but hardly crashing and not a lot of issues in general.

Not sure where this idea that the Skyrim 360 was a buggy disaster came from. It was the lead platform, I got it on day one and played it for dozens of hours, it was completely acceptable by the standards of the time.

Here is the DF article at the time, if the game was a mess they would have said so: https://www.eurogamer.net/digitalfoundry-face-off-skyrim

Top Bottom