• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The hype around Starfield is massive, and growing.

Topher

Gold Member
And Friday is going to be an unexpected sick day. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
XPtQbx5.png

Im Out Amy Poehler GIF by FOX TV

Topher

Gold Member
Let me get this straight, after I just paid $30 for the premium upgrade for starfield, I now just find out that planets borders are like 10 minutes long?

Refund is an option, but that isn't the entire planet. Just that single landing zone.

Last edited:

Fess

Let me get this straight, after I just paid $30 for the premium upgrade for starfield, I now just find out that planets borders are like 10 minutes long?
A planet is made out of tiles. I saw a video where someone walked in a straight line til the edge of a tile and then speed up the video to not make it boring. That last bit is kinda the point most seem to miss with this concern. It’s a long walk. You’re not really going to want to walk that far, take your ship if you want to traverse further away to another point of interest, see it like using fast travel in any other open world game.

As always it would’ve been better to outright explain it in detail. Most games have these types of borders. It’s no big deal. Skyrim is just a tiny part of the planet Nirn too, with borders keeping the player inside one tile, can’t walk to Morrowind. You can take a boat to the Morrowind island Solstheim though, with a short load. Similar to what we have here but we use the spaceship.

This is not going to be a problem unless you want it to be a problem.

For me it just solves the mystery why there are no surface vehicles and why you can’t fly the spaceship over the planet surface. They want to keep the player inside these tiles, probably adding points of interests near the center to not have the player reaching the edges, then making the traversal slow and the tiles big enough that most, but obviously not all, will rather take the spaceship to another location when stuff is further away.

Anyway, can’t wait, 4 more days! 🪐🚀

Last edited:

Akuji

i dont feel any hype whatsoever but thats because that game just isnt for me.

hope it is a grand spectacle and beloved by many. can only help us, consumers when everyone in it competes. microsoft needs this game to be huge.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I hit my first very little hype cockblocker. Apparently there are A LOT of loading screens. I hated that in Fallout 4. Let’s hope these are quick…

salva

When's the OT coming?

Surely it has to be |OT| "Todd, no offense man *cough* that's a good game"

Last edited:

Winter John

My plan on Friday is to play the start on my Series S just for the lulz. I expect nothing less than total hilarity. Then I'm gonna go into town and buy an X. The S is a neat little machine but it's limitations are getting more noticeable.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I have a Series S. But that console will probably perform worse.

Half the pixel fill rate.
Half the texture fill rate.
Half the compute power.

If you're subbed to GP, no harm in downloading on both your PC and console, they will be cross-save compatible as well.

If you're subbed to GP, no harm in downloading on both your PC and console, they will be cross-save compatible as well.
Yeah for sure.
People just need to figure out what PC setting are to be turned down and what setting better keep up for best performance and image quality.
But I believe native 1440p will be hard. Full HD with High setting I'm not worried at all. But I want more.

Krathoon

Gold Member
I went with the Steam version because the keys seemed to be cheaper. For some reason, the XBox store version is more expensive on CDKeys.

Danknugz

i already took friday off this week but not for starfield and considering going in so no one thinks i took it off for starfield cause no one knows i actually play video games and i'd like it to stay that way

Duchess

Most games have these types of borders. It’s no big deal. Skyrim is just a tiny part of the planet Nirn too, with borders keeping the player inside one tile, can’t walk to Morrowind.
The Outer Worlds had these kind of "cells". On a planet, there might be 2 or 3 landing spots, but you would need to hop between them by getting into your ship again.

(or maybe you could fast travel between them - at any rate, you couldn't walk from one to the other)

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
31 dollars for paying it early? And the game is still a rental then?

- Shattered Space Story Expansion (upon release)
- Up to 5-days early access**
- Constellation Skin Pack: Equinox Laser Rifle, Spacesuit, Helmet and Boost Pack
- Access to Starfield Digital Artbook & Original Soundtrack

Yes it's a "rental" .

Riky

$MSFT
Yeah the hype is growing.

"
And for the first time in a very, very long time, Xbox is about to launch the biggest console exclusive of the year—bigger than Sony’s Spider-Man 2, bigger than Nintendo’s The Legend Of Zelda: Tears Of The Kingdom.

In a year full of massive game releases—Hogwarts Legacy, Diablo IV, Baldur’s Gate 3, etc. etc.—none are as hotly-anticipated as Starfield, Bethesda’s answer to the question: “What if Skyrim, but in space?”

Topher

Gold Member
Yeah the hype is growing.

"
And for the first time in a very, very long time, Xbox is about to launch the biggest console exclusive of the year—bigger than Sony’s Spider-Man 2, bigger than Nintendo’s The Legend Of Zelda: Tears Of The Kingdom.

In a year full of massive game releases—Hogwarts Legacy, Diablo IV, Baldur’s Gate 3, etc. etc.—none are as hotly-anticipated as Starfield, Bethesda’s answer to the question: “What if Skyrim, but in space?”

Damn.....it was so nice celebrating this exciting game without any console warrior nonsense. Oh well. You can always count on Forbes.

Last edited:
Top Bottom