• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The hype around Starfield is massive, and growing.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
That’s a dumb deal tho.
It's not dumb, it's just not for everyone. It actually is a great idea and thinking outside the box a bit.

Premium edition is $100 at retail I believe. That means the DLC is about $30.

I'm subbed on GP through 2026, so I'm not buying Starfield. If I wanted the DLC expansion this lets you buy it for about $30. I will just buy the base game when it's on sale on Black Friday in 2026 for like $15. This puts my total spend on the game below 50%. It's designed for people subbed to GP. If that doesn't apply to you don't get it. It's just more options.

Krathoon

Gold Member
- Shattered Space Story Expansion (upon release)
- Up to 5-days early access**
- Constellation Skin Pack: Equinox Laser Rifle, Spacesuit, Helmet and Boost Pack
- Access to Starfield Digital Artbook & Original Soundtrack

Yes it's a "rental" .
The annoying part about it is that they don't have the DLC yet. It is an IOU.

Also, you are paying for early access. That is kind of shitty. Just give that to people who pre-order.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Well, that's pretty common with season passes and such. Alan Wake 2's deluxe edition promises 2 DLC packs without a date on them, and I have the same kind of hype for that game, I've got that pre-ordered too.

It is entirely subjective. I completely get if others don't want to pay extra for something they don't know about much at this point.

RE: DLC. The name sounds like a post story DLC (like Broken Steel). If we take FO4's DLC as a reference, the DLC for that game started 3~4 months after the game came out.

This expansion is probably Q1 '24.

Last edited:

Rien

Jelly Belly
It's not dumb, it's just not for everyone. It actually is a great idea and thinking outside the box a bit.

I'm subbed on GP through 2026, so I'm not buying Starfield. If I wanted the DLC expansion this lets you buy it for about $30. I will just buy the base game when it's on sale on Black Friday in 2026 for like $15. This puts my total spend on the game below 50%. It's designed for people subbed to GP. If that doesn't apply to you don't get it. It's just more options

Hmmm okay. I guess you have a point.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Final Countdown GIF
countdown GIF

MMaRsu

So who's doing the OT and what is the name we have decided? Have we decided yet? Anything as long as its not No Mans Skyrim 😭🤣

Punished Miku

In the interests of actually enjoying the game and staying grounded on planet Earth, I propose we all take turns naming one thing we aren't excited about. I'll go first.

Mining looks boring.

GymWolf

Gold Member
The entire skill tree has leaked and without going into any details... I think that skills look fantastic. This is the kind of leak I'm okay with. I will be studying it so I can plan my build in advance.
So it's vastly better than something like the outer worlds?

cormack12

Gold Member
So who's doing the OT and what is the name we have decided? Have we decided yet? Anything as long as its not No Mans Skyrim 😭🤣
M mortal is doing the OT so it will be fire

They usually throw a poll up beforehand on the OT name.

Aside from the nontrovery, I am interested in if once you've generated a tile it resides in the database? Like if I have 3 pins to place for landing spots, if I do a 4th and it replaces my 1st. Can I then land in the same place my 1st was and it will be the same or will it generate a new tile?

Does this mean base building can only take place on pregen tiles?

Virex

Banned

Also, you are paying for early access. That is kind of shitty. Just give that to people who pre-order.
I see them doing the same thing they did with Fallout 4. Have you buy the DLC before it even exists, and when the DLC happens they want you to pay more because the DLC "cost them more" to make. So either pay more or fuck off.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
She definitely could have used a 40 min walk from time to time.
Her ship will need stronger thrusters.

Speaking of ships, I saw that the piloting skill upgrades includes access to class B and then class A ships. If assuming we start with class C, what do you guys think the difference between classes will be?

Punished Miku

Her ship will need stronger thrusters.

Speaking of ships, I saw that the piloting skill upgrades includes access to class B and then class A ships. If assuming we start with class C, what do you guys think the difference between classes will be?
Compartment size for transport
Weapons / shields / maneuverability
Fuel / engine speed
Crew compartment size / additional on ship services (lab, manufacturing, med bay)

My guess at least.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

In the interests of actually enjoying the game and staying grounded on planet Earth, I propose we all take turns naming one thing we aren't excited about. I'll go first.

Mining looks boring.
No VATS or equivalent system as far I can tell. I’m really going to miss it especially if I go for melee - the slow motion, the ragdolls, the sense of feedback, the heads exploding…

I understand they didn’t want to make it look like Fallout too much though.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

I'm subbed on GP through 2026, so I'm not buying Starfield. If I wanted the DLC expansion this lets you buy it for about $30. I will just buy the base game when it's on sale on Black Friday in 2026 for like $15. This puts my total spend on the game below 50%. It's designed for people subbed to GP. If that doesn't apply to you don't get it. It's just more options.

Exactly my point as well.

Why would I buy the full version now when I have game pass until late 2025? I then just buy a key or it on sale when its cheap. means I get to enjoy it day one and will probably not pay more than 50 for it all.

adamsapple

12 minutes of Starfield impressions.

TL - DR

- The game plays smooth, any jerk in trailers is from recording / capture issues
- "Looked quite a bit better than anything we had seen before" - DF and 'other journalists'
- Lots of shadow casting sources / lights, something they couldn't do in their previous games
- Gun play, combat, weapon animations looked good. "Not the Skyrim jank"
- Based on presentation "Looks like the most polished Bethesda game"
- "Graphics design is top tier"
- "I like the main menu by the way" - Rich
- DF also had a chat with Spencer afterwards and talked about Xbox 360 market closing, Starfield impressions etc.
- They will have lots of coverage for the game and are trying to have it ready in time for the embargo (31st Aug)

Bonus:

untitleddqdqr.png

I noticed that I can use Bing Rewards to sub to Game Pass Ultimate again. Subbed/converted my Live account, and I have Starfield preloading on my PC right now. I was prepared to buy it once reviews hit, so I'm super stoked to be able to play it for "free" now. The hype is finally setting in.

Fess

The Outer Worlds had these kind of "cells". On a planet, there might be 2 or 3 landing spots, but you would need to hop between them by getting into your ship again.

(or maybe you could fast travel between them - at any rate, you couldn't walk from one to the other)
Yeah most games are like that, it’s extremely rare to never reach a ”wall” of some kind. The size of the tiles may vary of course but no barriers is not common.
Didn’t study it much, want to go in mostly blind, but the clip I saw just had a text box popping up, that’s rough imo. Should’ve had some radio interference from going to far away from the ship or water or a deep rift something like that.

However, I do wonder if Series S RAM size could have limited the size of the tiles, for Series X as well if the parity thing is in affect there.
But if so there should be bigger tiles on PC. Not the best PR perhaps.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
12 minutes of Starfield impressions.

TL - DR

- The game plays smooth, any jerk in trailers is from recording / capture issues
- "Looked quite a bit better than anything we had seen before" - DF and 'other journalists'
- Lots of shadow casting sources / lights, something they couldn't do in their previous games
- Gun play, combat, weapon animations looked good. "Not the Skyrim jank"
- Based on presentation "Looks like the most polished Bethesda game"
- "Graphics design is top tier"
- "I like the main menu by the way" - Rich
- DF also had a chat with Spencer afterwards and talked about Xbox 360 market closing, Starfield impressions etc.
- They will have lots of coverage for the game and are trying to have it ready in time for the embargo (31st Aug)

Bonus:

untitleddqdqr.png
200.gif

adamsapple

Seems like a good deal to me. DLC pack on release and 5 days to play before anyone else on top of an artbook and OST. Cosmetics I don't care for and is a bonus if anything.

The DLC is not on release FYI, they haven't put a date on it.

Shivering Isles also wasn't on release tho.

Top Bottom