• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The hype around Starfield is massive, and growing.

MMaRsu

efu12x585ukb1.png

Over 300k people have Starfield pre-ordered on Steam

Numbers will increase ofcourse

The only thing I see hurting peak Steam numbers is the early access, when most people will probably have sprung for the premium edition due to the game being pretty cheap on keysites. I paid about 75 euro's for mine. But then some people will only start playing on the 6th, which could hurt peak numbers.

Last edited:

oji-san

Banned
My first character will be an introvert. No companions. No crew members. Small ship, the more trashy, the better. Combat full stealth mode. Thievery and discovery related skills are a must. I want a quiet and lonely experience.
I like to play as one of the default characters, especially if it appeared on trailers.. was a bit disappointed that you can't play as the dude from the Cyberpunk 2077 trailers, created a character that look as much as the trailer one.

MMaRsu

Once reviews drop, streams start and early access kicks in… it’s going to be crazy.
Oh for sure. Every streamer under the sun is going to be playing this game. DrDisrespect, xQc, Shroud, Summit1g, CourageJD, BreaK, Viss I assume Ninja etc will be playing as well. Jackfrags will drop a review I assume or something of the sort. Those are about the only big streamers I know.

Once those streamers start playing and I assume the game is good, sales will go through the roof. DrDisrespect even said he might do a 24 hour stream. He previously stated many times that Morrowind was his favorite game.

But personally I don't like it that streamers get to play before us :<

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I like to play as one of the default characters, especially if it appeared on trailers.. was a bit disappointed that you can't play as the dude from the Cyberpunk 2077 trailers, created a character that look as much as the trailer one.

In a game like this I like to role play as a character that I created in my head. Backstory, motivations and all. In Cyberpunk you can’t really roleplay as a custom character. You are always V so yeah in that case playing as a default character makes a lot of sense.

MMaRsu

Oh come on, dunking on Todd Howard specifically is absolutely a sport and it’s the best part of most Bethesda games (regardless of whether the game is great or not)

In all honesty Todd seems like a great guy. People who work at BGS say the same thing, I assume that's a big reason to stay too if your boss is a nice guy and not a dickhead.

Watching some of these keynotes and interviews really made me realize how much love he has for making these games, and he generally admits his faults, and just wants people to play his games and have fun.

Last edited:

Montauk

Fingers crossed for this one. I hate so many AAA games these days.

Let’s just hope for something genuinely great, with no cynicism. And not a movie game, god.

I hope I can stand the 30fps because I generally avoid any 30fps title because of weird eye problems (poss neurological).

I was ok with UC4 (on a PS4 Pro) but that seems like a very smooth 30. I hope this is tolerable.

Every other 30fps “visuals” option in games I’ve tried in recent times I couldn’t stand.

oji-san

Banned
In all honesty Todd seems like a great guy. People who work at BGS say the same thing, I assume that's a big reason to stay too if your boss is a nice guy and not a dickhead.

Watching some of these keynotes and interviews really made me realize how much love he has for making these games, and he generally admits his faults, and just wants people to play his games and have fun.

Never understood what the fuck people want from him, might not keep tabs on every tiny nonsense, he looks cool, passionate and made some of the greatest games, i like him.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I'm close to ordering the upgrade.

I think the chances of me wanting the DLC are remote.

It's ridiculous to pay extra for the early access.

Be strong.

MMaRsu

I had ChatGPT rewrite a Skyrim review to make it about Starfield instead. Looks about as good as any other review :messenger_tears_of_joy:

(No actual review within, no spoilers either)
In Starfield, your journey takes you through the vast expanse of the universe, offering a plethora of opportunities for personal exploration and character development.

Bethesda's latest masterpiece invites you to embark on a spacefaring adventure that is simply unmissable, despite any technical imperfections that might arise. What amazes me is how, even after immersing myself in the universe of Starfield for 60 hours, the first instinct I have once I finish sharing this review is to continue my cosmic exploration. This phenomenon is due to Bethesda's knack for crafting worlds that are so intricate and all-encompassing that comparing other games to them would feel lacking.

The sheer volume of content seamlessly integrated into the game is a testament to the mastery of video game creation. Even more impressive is how well-executed each aspect is, leaving you with an insatiable desire to witness and engage with every element, all while tailoring your experience to your unique preferences. Starfield may not be without its technical hiccups, but it admirably fulfills the potential of this particular role-playing format, delivering an experience that is nothing short of essential.

In their latest offering, Bethesda departs from the fantasy realms of their previous titles, venturing into the uncharted territories of outer space with Starfield. The universe of Starfield is an exploration of the unknown, where you forge your path through the cosmos, navigating the complexities of a galactic society. While Starfield doesn't shy away from its science fiction influences, it maintains its distinct identity, merging futuristic concepts with a grounded and believable setting.

The heart of Starfield centers around the enigmatic presence of spacefaring beings known as "Celestials." These beings, dormant for an immeasurable stretch of time, have reemerged to reshape the cosmic landscape, leading to widespread upheaval and chaos. As the first Celestial Awakened, your unique abilities allow you to stand against these formidable forces, unveiling the mysteries of their return and charting your course amidst the turbulence. This central narrative serves as the foundation of Starfield, offering a captivating storyline punctuated by surprises, intrigue, and a momentum that distinguishes it from Bethesda's previous endeavors.

Of course, Starfield is not solely defined by its main storyline. Just like its predecessors, the game flourishes with a multitude of interconnected systems that shape your character's trajectory, interactions, and experiences. The hallmark of Starfield is its unparalleled freedom—freedom to converse with, steal from, or even eliminate almost every character in sight. The universe thrives around you, unaffected by your presence unless you intervene. Your capacity to interact with and manipulate objects is equally expansive, encompassing everything from the mundane to the extraordinary. Within this realm, you're at liberty to advance your skills across various domains, from combat to magic, alchemy to technology, tailoring your journey to align with your desires.
Starfield provides a streamlined yet robust character progression system. As you advance, you choose to enhance your health, magical prowess, or physical stamina, gaining perks that correspond to your chosen skills. This streamlined approach doesn't compromise your creative freedom; instead, it guides you toward developing a character that mirrors your preferred playstyle.

In the realm of combat, Starfield showcases marked improvements. Engaging in melee combat and utilizing shields feels more tactile and responsive, though there may still be moments where the animations lack synchronicity. The introduction of "Astrospeak," a set of potent magical abilities rooted in ancient cosmic languages, adds depth to your arsenal, granting you new options for confronting adversaries. The third-person perspective for combat strikes a balance, offering dramatic kill sequences that accentuate your victories.

The interface of Starfield is a testament to thoughtful design, catering to both controller and keyboard/mouse input methods. Essential information and menus elegantly overlay the game world, allowing easy access to your inventory, abilities, and map. You can even designate items and spells as "favorites," ensuring swift access during combat scenarios. On PC, the interface transitions seamlessly, benefiting from the adaptability that mods can provide.
Visually, Starfield's landscapes and interiors are a sight to behold, presenting an array of diverse and breathtaking vistas. While some close-up details may falter, the overall experience is captivating, conveying a sense of awe that transcends minor graphical discrepancies. The voice acting, although predominantly stellar, does exhibit some repetition that is worth noting.

Ultimately, the allure of Starfield lies in its capacity to craft stories unique to each player. The universe it presents is teeming with opportunities for discovery and growth, drawing players into a world they'll want to inhabit for hours on end. The imperfections that occasionally arise are overshadowed by the depth and quality of the experience, leaving you with an irresistible desire to continue venturing through this boundless cosmos.

Last edited:

Raven117

HA! You are missing the point man. The fact that he does seem like a nice guy that can get a little too excited about his games (and over-promises a bit) is what makes it fun. I mean, come on...just watch the classic video below.

MMaRsu

HA! You are missing the point man. The fact that he does seem like a nice guy that can get a little too excited about his games (and over-promises a bit) is what makes it fun. I mean, come on...just watch the classic video below.

Haha yeah Ive seen it a ton of times lol

One thing I love about Fallout 4 is when I come back to my red rocket fort and do some crafting, some base building and it's raining while I listen to old songs. It's so comfy.
I hope I can feel something similar playing starfield.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Reached the top of steam best sellers.

Let's see if this does higher than BG3 for concurrent players.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Leaker reports they are running 3800x/2080ti @ 1440p on the above high settings.

He gets 45-60 fps most of the time, 60-70 fps in dungeons and space.

2080Ti not getting 60+ most of the time seems pretty heavy for a non RT game. I guess there's a reason why the consoles are 30 FPS other than just because of Series S.

M.W.

2080Ti not getting 60+ most of the time seems pretty heavy for a non RT game. I guess there's a reason why the consoles are 30 FPS other than just because of Series S.

I believe (though could be wrong) this was with FSR enabled. His 3800 is probably the bottleneck here. BGS games are CPU heavy.

Last edited:

ajanke

Leaker reports they are running 3800x/2080ti @ 1440p on the above high settings.

He gets 45-60 fps most of the time, 60-70 fps in dungeons and space.
That's what I got. Got an i9900 too fingers crossed its guuuuddddd

Last edited:

adamsapple

I swear these websites ..

Their reasoning is that players might not be finished with the base game whenever the DLC comes out so it might be in a rough spot.

What the fuck ..

Last edited:
I swear these websites ..

Their reasoning is that players might not be finished with the base game whenever the DLC comes out so it might be in a rough spot.

What the fuck ..
It seems they prefer the Cyberpunk 2077 route where 2 of the 3 planned expansions get cut and the only remaining one releases 3 years after the base game. What a strange thing to criticize.

Last edited:
Top Bottom