• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The ICO and Shadow of the Colossus Collection |OT| Ueda *bow*

Kayo-kun

I can't decide if I should pick this up or if I shouldn't (I haven't had a chance to play them before since I didn't own a PS2). I know that Ico/Shadow of the Colossus are great games and many of my friends have recommended them, not to mention all the praise the games has recieved from you guys and gaming sites all over the web. Still it seems like I simply don't have the interest to play these games, atleast not now. I just finished Dead Island, have Deus Ex waiting for me, then Castlevania Harmony of Despair is coming out on PSN in a couple of days (which I have been waiting for a half year), and Dark Souls the week after.

I've watched the review and gameplay videos on both games, but still can't get hyped. I am a huge fan of the RPG/adventure genre too, but I still can't find interest in the game since it looks dated and somewhat boring from what I've seen. I know that I should be ashamed for writing this and that I'm a horrible gamer... :p

Maybe the reason for this is because the amount of great games coming out which makes my brain go into economic mode and try to discredit the game to not buy it lol.

Cruzader

Banned
Kayo-kun said:
I can't decide if I should pick this up or if I shouldn't (I haven't had a chance to play them before since I didn't own a PS2). I know that Ico/Shadow of the Colossus are great games and many of my friends have recommended them, not to mention all the praise the games has recieved from you guys and gaming sites all over the web. Still it seems like I simply don't have the interest to play these games, atleast not now. I just finished Dead Island, have Deus Ex waiting for me, then Castlevania Harmony of Despair is coming out on PSN in a couple of days (which I have been waiting for a half year), and Dark Souls the week after.

I've watched the review and gameplay videos on both games, but still can't get hyped. I am a huge fan of the RPG/adventure genre too, but I still can't find interest in the game since it looks dated and somewhat boring from what I've seen. I know that I should be ashamed for writing this and that I'm a horrible gamer... :p

Maybe the reason for this is because the amount of great games coming out which makes my brain go into economic mode and try to discredit the game to not buy it lol.
They are unlike anything out there. Very memorable games.

I would get it sometime after if you have a big backlog but definitely get it down the line. I think the fact they are running better than before is great for new comers and us who played them in the past. Shows the devs put some real effort and we should notice that and support their release.

Famassu

Kayo-kun said:

Thing is... even if you have a lot of games waiting for you in the future, these two aren't long games, so you could easily fit a playthrough (or two, if you're into trophies) of ICO into a few 1-2 hour sessions, probably even play it through in one session if you have an evening of nothing else to do. SOTC is longer, but it's still not a super-long game, easily doable in 2-3 evenings (or less). So even with a leisure pace, the whole collection is manageable in less than a week.

yggdrasil

Here's some footage of the game's menus (and box). Looks like the videos are:
  • Walking in the Footsteps of Giants
  • Walking With Giants: A Candid Talk with the Visionaries Behind the Games
  • Ico: Concept and Prototype Video Montage
  • Shadow of the Colossus: Concept and Prototype Video Montage
  • Nico: Initial Concept Video

I'm guessing the Last Guardian footage is in the first or second one, and there's likely nothing new in terms of content there. I believe the Playstation blog specifically said there were 5 videos, and the Dynamic Themes can clearly be seen below. Why haven't the first videos been ripped?

just picked this up then without knowing anything about the two games. The problem is i also got Dark Souls, Gears 3 and Space Marine.....so this is going to be played much later in the year.... :/

ScOULaris

yggdrasil said:
Here's some footage of the game's menus (and box). Looks like the videos are:
  • Walking in the Footsteps of Giants
  • Walking With Giants: A Candid Talk with the Visionaries Behind the Games
  • Ico: Concept and Prototype Video Montage
  • Shadow of the Colossus: Concept and Prototype Video Montage
  • Nico: Initial Concept Video

I'm guessing the Last Guardian footage is in the first or second one, and there's likely nothing new in terms of content there. I believe the Playstation blog specifically said there were 5 videos, and the Dynamic Themes can clearly be seen below. Why haven't the first videos been ripped?
Oh, god. So beautiful. I can't even handle it. The wait until I get out of work tomorrow is gonna be unbearable.

Hanmik

shwimpy said:
Nope.... otherwise it would've already been posted on the net.

I don't think there is a TLG video in the collection.

s3fY3.jpg

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011...s-collection-next-week-bonus-content-preview/

ScOULaris

LiquidMetal14 said:
SO is TLG footage immediately unlocked or do you have to beat each game or something?

This wait is killer.
It's unlocked right from the start. You don't access it from the in-game menu, but rather from the "Bonus Content" icon on the XMB after you've inserted the disc into your PS3.

It can be seen in the unboxing video a couple of posts up.

krYlon

JumpingTheGun said:
Its been preordered. Ive never played either and am going in utterly blind. Someone help get me hyped. I should probably be more excited...

Going in blind is the best way to go.
Don't get hyped, just play them as they are.

anddo0

Neuromancer said:
Newegg doesn't generally come release date? ;_;

It depends on where you live. I'm in NYC, so there's an outside chance I'll get it by tomorrow. I think Wednesday is a safer bet though. If you're outside of NY, you'll get it between wed/thur.

Reclaimer

goonergaz said:
It's worth knowing that you should play Ico @ 1080p and SotC @ 720p for best performance
What? So you are saying that unchecking the 1080p option in my PS3 settings will make SotC perform better?

I call poppycock on that. If a game maxes out at 720p, it will render at 720p on my PS3, no matter if I have 1080p checked or not. Checking 1080p shouldn't hinder performance.

Or is there something else going on here?

Reclaimer said:
What? So you are saying that unchecking the 1080p option in my PS3 settings will make SotC perform better?

I call poppycock on that. If a game maxes out at 720p, it will render at 720p on my PS3, no matter if I have 1080p checked or not. Checking 1080p shouldn't hinder performance.

On the PS3 games can be rendered differently depending on what resolution you're outputting to. Also, the PS3 doesn't have a dedicated hardware scaler so that may also cause some performance issues.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Reclaimer said:

Yeah, there's something indeed. If you don't disable 1080p/1080i from the console setting, the game will run in 960x1080p upscaled to 1920x1080p. Which in itself is not too bad (although it results in rectangular pixels, which they say doesn't suit antialiasing method as well) but the framerate drops here and there in that case. Digital Foundry article has noted that the first time they noticed it happen is on the 2nd colossus for example, so it's probably pretty rare. However, when forced to 720p, the game apparently has no frame drops at all.

They probably did this so that your TV doesn't switch between 720p and 1080p when switching from one game to the other, and maybe also because 960x1080p is slightly higher res than 1280x720p.

ultron87

I wanna buy this buy I don't want to. I've never played Ico and SOTC is my third favorite PS2 game so I'm certainly the target audience. But there are a ton of games coming out really soon and I still need to beat Deus Ex and Gears.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
_dementia said:
I'll probably live with framedrops so I can have the higher native resolution, but that's incredibly disappointing.
As I mentioned it's probably really rare, based on their comment. I think the bigger potential issue is that AA may not look as good in SotC 1080p mode as it does in 720p mode.

goonergaz said:
Basically with SotC if you want PS2 performance stick with 1080p, if you want 30FPS locked go for 720p.
That is NOT what they said at all. In SotC 1080p mode frame drops are very rare, going by their comment. It's when playing SotC in 3D that the framerate fluctuates as much as it did on PS2 SotC.

goonergaz

"As I mentioned it's probably really rare, based on their comment. I think the bigger potential issue is that AA may not look as good in SotC 1080p mode as it does in 720p mode."

Indeed, not only some frame issues but also PQ - TBH it's a shame but not a deal breaker, I guess you could try 1080p and then switch to 720p if you don't like it...personally I want a smoother frame-rate to avoid any frustrations.

goonergaz

Lord Error said:
That is NOT what they said at all. In SotC 1080p mode frame drops are very rare, going by their comment. It's when playing SotC in 3D that the framerate fluctuates as much as it did on PS2 SotC.

yes sorry, my bad - although to suggest it happens on the 2nd colossus makes you wonder how many will be affected as I'm sure that wasn't the worst one when I played it on PS2...like I said (or rather meant), 30FPS locked with a better PQ is a no-brainer

mattp

Thank you for shopping at Newegg.com.

Your tracking number has been generated and your package/order will ship out today

Davedough

So I never pre-order anything so I'm a complete idiot when it comes to these things, but... launch date is tomorrow. Does that mean that when I go into my pre-order store tomorrow, they'll have my copy?

BTW... when I pre-ordered it, the person behind the counter said "What system is that for?" I almost slapped a bitch.

yup, all you gotta do is walk in and claim it.

is there an order I should play these in? I know Ueda originally though of Shadow as a prequel to ICO...

Reclaimer

Lord Error said:
Yeah, there's something indeed. If you don't disable 1080p/1080i from the console setting, the game will run in 960x1080p upscaled to 1920x1080p. Which in itself is not too bad (although it results in rectangular pixels, which they say doesn't suit antialiasing method as well) but the framerate drops here and there in that case. Digital Foundry article has noted that the first time they noticed it happen is on the 2nd colossus for example, so it's probably pretty rare. However, when forced to 720p, the game apparently has no frame drops at all.

They probably did this so that your TV doesn't switch between 720p and 1080p when switching from one game to the other, and maybe also because 960x1080p is slightly higher res than 1280x720p.
Ahhh, this makes much more sense. Thanks for the detailed explanation. What an odd choice to favor framerate issues often during the actual game over a small delay once (tv auto switching resolutions) inside the Main screen UI.

720p is fine.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
They just sent my copy of the game :D should be here 28th!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
goonergaz said:
yes, ICO = 1080p and SotC = 720p
Do I have to manually change the resolution for these games through display options (PS3)?

goonergaz

JumpingTheGun said:
is there an order I should play these in? I know Ueda originally though of Shadow as a prequel to ICO...

There's been great debate over this, TBH I don't think it really matters...the stories are not linked in any series way that playing them in any particular order makes any difference to the experience (IMHO).

goonergaz

Yoshichan said:
Do I have to manually change the resolution for these games through display options (PS3)?

Through XMB make sure 1080p is ticked before starting Ico and make sure it's unticked before starting SotC.

Yoshichan

goonergaz said:
Through XMB make sure 1080p is ticked before starting Ico and make sure it's unticked before starting SotC.
Thanks a bunch man!

Top Bottom