• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The ICO and Shadow of the Colossus Collection |OT| Ueda *bow*

Geez...

Atelier Totori
Ico & Shadow of the Collossus Collection
Dark Souls

All at once! I only just recently found out about Dark Souls too so I couldn't plan ahead for it. Will be getting Totori this week for sure. Ico & Shadow will have to wait. Dark Souls might have to wait too, though I do feel desire for that mini soundtrack. Hopefully some good deals come about later and I can get the Ico & Shadow and Dark for cheap.

Or maybe I'll break down and get Dark Souls next week. Whatever happens, hopefully I'll have all three eventually and nothing goes permenately out of stock too soon.

Irish said:
What words that begin with an 'I' have the 'ee' sound. Normally, it is either the 'eye' or 'ih' sound.
The name "Ico" originated in Japan, so trying to work out how to pronounce it based on how the "I" is pronounced in English or American English words isn't going to get you anywhere.

yggdrasil

Erigu said:
The explanation they gave for "Nico" wasn't "Ni (2) + co" though, but "Next Ico".
Doesn't mean it couldn't be both, of course. Once could argue that "Trico" seems to hint at that... even if it's not the explanation they gave for that name either, amusingly enough.

Do you have a source for your claim about Nico? I can't find a primary source (Ueda/Kaido), but there's a lot of secondaries out there. Here's one.

And you're right about Trico: though the name itself has multiple derivations, its project title spelling suggests that it is a portmanteau of "tri-" and "Ico." I always thought they mentioned this, but apparently they didn't.

Famitsū staff (2009). "Hitokui no Ōwashi Trico" (in Japanese). Shūkan Famitsū (Enterbrain) (6/19): 37. said:
The name of the creature can be taken to mean "prisoner" (虜 toriko?), "baby bird" (鳥の子 tori no ko?), or a portmanteau of "bird" (鳥 tori?) and "cat" (猫 neko?).
(via Wikipedia)

Does Ico have a good payoff for finishing the game? I'm a couple of hours in
where Yorda's mom comes and stops us from leaving
and the camera is driving me crazy. I'm tempted to stop and just move on to SOTC.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
BoboBrazil said:
and the camera is driving me crazy. I'm tempted to stop and just move on to SOTC.

you don't play games for endings, but for how you get there.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
The camera? What's wrong with it? I don't recall being annoyed by the camera in ICO.

BoboBrazil said:
If awkward cameras drive you crazy, SotC is not the next game to play.

yggdrasil

BoboBrazil said:

What on Earth is wrong with the camera in the HD remaster? Ico was always notable for its cinematic scripted camera. I'm starting to get worried.

Yoshichan said:
The camera? What's wrong with it? I don't recall being annoyed by the camera in ICO.

The camera goes out of focus alot or puts you into a blind spot where you can't see the main character quite a bit. It isn't really that much of an issue in the larger areas, but in the more closed in spots it gets frustrating. It also has a tendency to zoom in way too close to your character, making it hard when you are trying to protect Yorda from enemies.

@alr1ghtstart How is the rest of the game going forward from the section I'm at?

Erigu

yggdrasil said:
It appears most of the secondaries are wrong, then.
Well, I guess it could be both, but I've never seen a confirmation for the "ni / 2" thing from the staff, anyway.

yggdrasil

Erigu said:
Well, I guess it could be both, but I've never seen a confirmation for the "ni / 2" thing from the staff, anyway.

Right, and it being Dengeki, they wouldn't have to explain the linguistic reasoning to Westerners. Then again, the numerical nomenclature might be so obvious that it might not be worth mentioning. Hard to say.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
BoboBrazil said:

Imo ICO has the most memorable payoff in gaming...

colinp

Banned
yggdrasil said:
Right, and it being Dengeki, they wouldn't have to explain the linguistic reasoning to Westerners. Then again, the numerical nomenclature might be so obvious that it might not be worth mentioning. Hard to say.

Living in Japan I would say it is so obvious it does not bear mentioning.

Similarly the pronunciation of Ico being the same as the Japanese phrase 'let's go!', as mentioned earlier.

Similar how I doubt you'd find any magazine feel the need to explain what 'Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal' is a pun off of.

yggdrasil

BoboBrazil said:
The camera goes out of focus alot or puts you into a blind spot where you can't see the main character quite a bit. It isn't really that much of an issue in the larger areas, but in the more closed in spots it gets frustrating. It also has a tendency to zoom in way too close to your character, making it hard when you are trying to protect Yorda from enemies.

You might be fiddling with it too much. I only needed to zoom in a few times during the entire game.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
raviolico said:
Looking at your Avatar: Res-ih-dent Ih-vel, L-ih-on

The 'i' sound in "Resident" is what I think of as "ih" while the one in "evil" and "Leon" is "ee".

An American English speaker wouldn't say Res-ee-dent. It would be Res-ih-dent or Res-uh-dent.

We need to get the International Phonetic Alphabet up in here.

I in Japanese is only pronounced one way. The I in Trico is pronounced exactly the same as the I in Ico. There's no ambiguity in pronounciation with Japanese.

kyubajin

Pazuzu9 said:
I think it would be more like Tor-ee-ko.

Or Ze Rastu Gardeeanu. ¬_¬
You're right it's Tor-ee-ko as the official Japanese name is 人喰いの大鷲トリコ (Hitokui no Ōwashi Toriko).

Persona7

Banned
One of the annoying nerds at the video game shop gets annoyed when people pronounce games in a different way.

Next time I go in I am going to ask him if he played eyeco,hopefully he will be wearing his Shadow of the colossus shirt that day.

Tendo said:
Anyone else do release date delivery? My stuff isn't processing or anything yet. Is that normal?
Will start processing tomorrow.

Persona7 said:
One of the annoying nerds at the video game shop gets annoyed when people pronounce games in a different way.

Next time I go in I am going to ask him if he played eyeco
You should also talk to him about Y's and Fax-anadu.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Cruzader said:
So I guess we all have been saying "playstation" wrong since Sony Japan probably call it "presstushun" or something.

Anyways I got in on the $30 Newegg deal. Cant wait.
Isn't Ico (the game) named after Ico (the character)? Now, far be it that im suggesting that mispronouncing a fictitious character name is even comparable, but you wouldn't keep mispronouncing someone's name you know in real life, after he corrected you in what his name is. Anyone would agree that only the biggest jerks would do so.

Can anyone help me? I'm stuck at Stone Pillar and I can't figure out what do to. I lowered the 1 chain, but there is seemingly no way for me to get over to it?

Grayman

frequency said:
I ordered it in the E3 sale thingy too. That's too bad. I was hoping it would be $20 off the actual price.

But uh... what the hell? They shipped it to you before release date? Do they ship things earlier for certain parts of the country?
Being in Manitoba, no one (FS/BB, Amazon, or GameStop) ship to me until 2-5 days after release date.
I am in Surrey(Greater Vancouver area) but as far as I know futureshop ships from Ontario regardless. I ordered from them years ago and did not have a very good experience with the courier they choose.

shwimpy

yggdrasil said:
So is it confirmed that the Last Guardian video is unlockable after beating both games?
Nope.... otherwise it would've already been posted on the net.

I don't think there is a TLG video in the collection.

yggdrasil

shwimpy said:

That would be a pretty huge backpedal after months of promises. Although surely somebody's beaten both games already...

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
shwimpy said:

The U.S. PSBlog promised.

edit:beaten

edit2: do people have early retail copies of the NA release or are all copies out there right now Japanese?

Famassu

hey_it's_that_dog said:
The U.S. PSBlog promised.

edit:beaten

edit2: do people have early retail copies of the NA release or are all copies out there right now Japanese?
I've got an European copy, though not a retail one. I haven't yet had time to finish both games, if that's the requirement for the trailer. I'll try to finish both tomorrow.

Top Bottom