• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The ICO and Shadow of the Colossus Collection |OT| Ueda *bow*

jett

D-Member
MoonsaultSlayer said:
Come on, let's share our experiences and forget the pronunciation again.

*DO NOT READ THE SPOILERS IF YOU HAVEN'T PLAYED SHADOW BEFORE*

I remember the first time I got to the
sand snake
colossus, I had no idea that I had to
shoot an arrow at its eye
. I spent a very long time trying to get it to "come at me bro" and
smash into the surrounding wall or center rock structures
but nothing! I forget what made me finally realize but that stands out as one of my biggest "ooooooh, I got it!" moments.

Part of the experience is figuring each colossus out. Seriously, do not look up how to tackle them at all.

Best moment in the entire game for me is, by far,
the fifth colossus, the bird.

"Huh, it's flying and not coming down, how I'm gonna get up there."

"Guess I'll shoot it again."

"Aw shit it's coming straight at me."

"AW SHIT is that grass I see there on his wing....!"

Then you realize what you have to do and your mind is blown. That's the moment I realized I was playing one of the best games ever made.

Trevelyon

I put my money down on the collection last week, but the girl couldn't bring it up on their system after three awkward attempts of pronouncing e-co then eye-co and finally ick-o & Shadow of the Colossus the Collection, I had to spell I C O out and it finally clicked.

She was cute and I turned on the charm, so the exchange was sort of silly and flirty and less "oh my God! where's the nearest oven".

Trevelyon said:
I put my money down on the collection last week, but the girl couldn't bring it up on their system after three awkward attempts of pronouncing e-co then eye-co and finally ick-o & Shadow of the Colossus the Collection, I had to spell I C O out and it finally clicked.

She was cute and I turned on the charm, so the exchange was sort of silly and flirty and less "oh my God! where's the nearest oven".
Wow, interacting with a real-life woman sounds fascinating. I'm too used to Yorda.

Dynedom

jett said:
Best moment in the entire game for me is, by far,
the fifth colossus, the bird.

"Huh, it's flying and not coming down, how I'm gonna get up there."

"Guess I'll shoot it again."

"Aw shit it's coming straight at me."

"AW SHIT is that grass I see there on his wing....!"

Then you realize what you have to do and your mind is blown. That's the moment I realized I was playing one of the best games ever made.

That was one.

The other has to be the
sky serpent
. The first time it emerges, you're like "holy shit what the hell". You realize you have to
get on its back
but don't know how. Then you notice the
sacks underneath it and realize you have to ride argo and shoot arrows at them in motion.
. I was seriously in awe and couldn't get over how epic it was. That wasn't even the best part.
You had to then ride up along it and jump off from your moving horse ONTO a moving colossus

My favorite battle in SOTC and I seriously wish I could experience it for the first time again. I have yet to experience anything so jaw-dropping and immersive in a video game. The more you discovered, the more awesome it became.

Trevelyon

_dementia said:
Wow, interacting with a real-life woman sounds fascinating. I'm too used to Yorda.

Sadly they're usually not as sturdy or as willing as Yorda. I've pulled my arms out of sockets while dragging them into the back of my deawoo.

They will never measure up to her in the end.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Well I posted this on last page, last post, so this got lost:

So whoever is on the fence, Best Buy is having a deal

I don't have making thread privileges so I'll put this here:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?type=category&id=pcmcat252800050012&slref=10&slloc=01

Save $20 on two select PS3 collections

Get caught up on these classic PlayStation hits. Buy any two of these collections and you'll save $20.

Follow these steps:

Select a PS3 collection below by clicking the box to its right.
Select a second collection.
Click the Add to Cart button.

Items may ship separately. Three items per order. See offer details.

1. ICO and Shadow of the Colossus Collection - PlayStation 3
2. Resistance Dual Pack Greatest Hits - PlayStation 3
3. Uncharted Greatest Hits Dual Pack - PlayStation 3
4. God of War: Origins Collection - PlayStation 3

It's a buy 1 get 1 50% off

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
BocoDragon said:
Lol at people who try to spin "eye-co" as an American pronunciation... Its not American.. You've just been wrong all this time.

It's American/English in the sense that it's most similar to the English word "Icon." How else do you expect an English speaking person who isn't familiar with Japanese to say it? I'm not saying it's the right pronunciation, but I am saying it only takes a modicum of perspective to understand why so many people think it's "eye-co."

hey_it's_that_dog said:
It's American/English in the sense that it's most similar to the English word "Icon." How else do you expect an English speaking person who isn't familiar with Japanese to say it? I'm not saying it's the right pronunciation, but I am saying it only takes a modicum of perspective to understand why so many people think it's "eye-co."
But people don't say eye-gloo or ohctopus. Long vowels don't always work at the beginning of words.

But I do see a flaw in my example.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
MoonsaultSlayer said:
But people don't say eye-gloo or ohctopus. Long vowels don't always work at the beginning of words.

It depends on whether the vowel is followed by one or two consonants. Igloo is pronounced with a short 'i' sound. You're right that it's not eye-gloo, but it's not ee-gloo either. It's igloo, where the 'i' is pronounced like the 'i' in 'sick'. And it's also a borrowed word, so not a great example of English pronunciation rules to begin with. Octopus also follows the consonant rule.

Ico. Icon. That's all I need to argue. People aren't thinking of the words igloo or octopus when they see "Ico" written on a box.

And please note that I've never said that it is, or should be, pronounced 'eye-co.' I'm just explaining why it's such a common misconception.

Alucrid said:
Jesus no one really cares if you say eye-co or ee-co.

Clearly some people do, but they really shouldn't.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
GeoramA said:
It says free shipping, but I'm still getting charged for it.

With shipping and tax, it comes to $70. Kinda lame.

Try calling them or talk to chat support?

Alright guys, this is OT but I'm jumping on this deal. I've never played God of War games or Uncharted games. Which collection should I get between those two??

Branson

Put me in the group that said eye-co. Never heard any different until I listened to podcasts. Still think it sounds better than ee-co but that might come from calling it that first.

yggdrasil

Pretty sure I said "Eye-co" up until the lead-up to Shadow of the Colossus when they revealed the Nico prototype, and the 1-2 naming scheme was revealed. As a long-time Japanese speaker, I was pretty embarrassed. I'm glad they've decided to cross cultural numerical nomenclature with the Ico-Nico-Trico progression though.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Alucrid said:
Jesus no one really cares if you say eye-co or ee-co.
Call it whatever you want. A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.... but if you look in a dictionary, there will be one specific definition on how to pronounce "rose". :p

hey_it's_that_dog said:
I understand why someone would pronounce the Ls in 'tortilla' or the J in 'jalapeno' too... but it's wrong, even in America.

_dementia said:
This thread proves otherwise.
No one cares that much. But this is a discussion board and that happened to be the topic.

Good point about the tortilla and jalepeno. Even the "enye" sound is commonly spoken correctly in English.

Carnby

I have pretty much ordered every version of this release.

1 copy of the NA version
1 copy of the JP version of Ico
1 copy of the JP version of Shadow of the Colossus
1 copy of the JP Limited Edition Collector's edition

I ordered separate copies of the JP version because I love the cover art, and these games deserve their own case/cover/disc. I have no plans on opening any of the JP versions that I ordered. That's what the NA version is for.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
BocoDragon said:
Call it whatever you want. A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.... but if you look in a dictionary, there will be one specific definition on how to pronounce "rose". :p

I understand why someone would pronounce the Ls in 'tortilla' or the J in 'jalapeno' too... but it's wrong, even in America.

I'm not sure you're actually reading my posts. I never said it 'eye-co' was correct. I said it's 100% understandable why someone would THINK that's how it's pronounced. So what you're saying is correct and I agree with you, but it's not what I was arguing about in the first place.

MoonsaultSlayer said:
No one cares that much. But this is a discussion board and that happened to be the topic.

Good point about the tortilla and jalepeno. Even the "enye" sound is commonly spoken correctly in English.

It's a good point if the argument is about how you should pronounce things correctly (or at least approximating correctly) with respect to their linguistic origin. Is that what the argument is about? Is anyone really arguing that "We should all say 'eye-co' because we're not Japanese"? That's what it sounds like BocoDragon is arguing against.

Ocaso

Dynedom said:
That was one.

The other has to be the
sky serpent
. The first time it emerges, you're like "holy shit what the hell". You realize you have to
get on its back
but don't know how. Then you notice the
sacks underneath it and realize you have to ride argo and shoot arrows at them in motion.
. I was seriously in awe and couldn't get over how epic it was. That wasn't even the best part.
You had to then ride up along it and jump off from your moving horse ONTO a moving colossus

My favorite battle in SOTC and I seriously wish I could experience it for the first time again. I have yet to experience anything so jaw-dropping and immersive in a video game. The more you discovered, the more awesome it became.

Totally agree. The
sky serpent
blew my mind as well. It's an underappreciated fact that Shadow is in many ways as much a puzzle game as ICO, albeit one disguised as an action game. It's so unique yet so beautiful.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
hey_it's_that_dog said:
I'm not sure you're actually reading my posts. I never said it 'eye-co' was correct. I said it's 100% understandable why someone would THINK that's how it's pronounced. So what you're saying is correct and I agree with you, but it's not what I was arguing about in the first place.
My post was hardly intended to argue against everything you've said in this thread. We clearly agree in general.

I was only responding to your comment about understanding why Americans would infer "eye-co" from the spelling. I can understand why a lot of people pronounce things wrong based on the spelling. English is full of words whose correct pronunciation can't be inferred from the arrangement of the letters alone.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
MoonsaultSlayer said:
Anyone know of a good video display calibrating site? I want shadow to look perfect.

If you want WAY TOO MUCH information go here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=948496

If you just want to download a series of video files you can play on your PS3 and calibrate basic settings like brightness, contrast, color/tint, and sharpness, download this:

http://www.wuala.com/alluringreality/Public/MP4-2c.7z

(this is a link from the page I linked above, it's safe! also legal. it's not ripped copywrited material or anything.)

Just open the zip and find the basic settings folder and there are video files for each of the calibrations.

The brightness and contrast ones have basic instructions on screen. The color/tint and APL ones don't so you'll have to find instructions on that page.

edit: this page has instructions

http://www.missingremote.com/guide/display-calibration-part-i

goonergaz

MoonsaultSlayer said:
Anyone know of a good video display calibrating site? I want shadow to look perfect.

It's worth knowing that you should play Ico @ 1080p and SotC @ 720p for best performance

Erigu

yggdrasil said:
Pretty sure I said "Eye-co" up until the lead-up to Shadow of the Colossus when they revealed the Nico prototype, and the 1-2 naming scheme was revealed. As a long-time Japanese speaker, I was pretty embarrassed. I'm glad they've decided to cross cultural numerical nomenclature with the Ico-Nico-Trico progression though.
The explanation they gave for "Nico" wasn't "Ni (2) + co" though, but "Next Ico".
Doesn't mean it couldn't be both, of course. Once could argue that "Trico" seems to hint at that... even if it's not the explanation they gave for that name either, amusingly enough.

MercuryLS

Banned
Pre-order the game at bestbuy.ca and receive $5 off instantly, covers the tax for the game. Also, you can get the GOW Originis, Uncharted Bundle or Resistance Bundle for $20 if you purchase it at the same time.

kizmah

I never played these games as I didn't own a PS2 but I do remember wanting Colossus badly. Now that I have a PS3 I am getting the collection. One question though, how many hours of gameplay are we talking here? I am in the middle of Xenoblade and Skyward Sword is around the corner. Will I have the time to squeeze these two in between?

Cruzader

Banned
So I guess we all have been saying "playstation" wrong since Sony Japan probably call it "presstushun" or something.

Anyways I got in on the $30 Newegg deal. Cant wait.

Phatcorns

hamzik said:
I never played these games as I didn't own a PS2 but I do remember wanting Colossus badly. Now that I have a PS3 I am getting the collection. One question though, how many hours of gameplay are we talking here? I am in the middle of Xenoblade and Skyward Sword is around the corner. Will I have the time to squeeze these two in between?

Personally it was 6 or 7 hours for Ico and 12 or 13 hours for Shadow.

Top Bottom