• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The ICO and Shadow of the Colossus Collection |OT| Ueda *bow*

SparkTR

For the people who already have the game, what does the exclusive TLG preview show? We haven't seen it since 2009, I imagine it would've had a massive facelift since then.

ScOULaris said:
All I'm saying is, when two of the best games ever get a quality HD re-release like this, wouldn't you want to experience them in your native language? It's not like the Japanese versions have anything that makes them different from the US release, and you can always order the artbook later. I get that the Limited Edition is a very nice collectors piece, but I want to own the best version of these two games. And the best version is the one that has English text (for menus, manuals, and dialogue).

enjoy your best version, bud. but please be assured that the version i chose in no way feels like a 'waste' :) ...

ScOULaris

semiconscious said:
enjoy your best version, bud. but please be assured that the version i chose in no way feels like a 'waste' :) ...
The best version also comes on one disc and has a badass main menu.

come-at-me-bro-meme-anteater.jpg

ScOULaris said:
All I'm saying is, when two of the best games ever get a quality HD re-release like this, wouldn't you want to experience them in your native language? It's not like the Japanese versions have anything that makes them different from the US release, and you can always order the artbook later. I get that the Limited Edition is a very nice collectors piece, but I want to own the best version of these two games. And the best version is the one that has English text (for menus, manuals, and dialogue).
I'm fairly certain the in-game dialogue is gibberish either way. Not English. Not Japanese.

DryvBy

Ugh, this will be the last time I let my wife order my games. She used "Free Shipping" instead of the release day shipping. So my shipping date: October 4th. Guess I'll be going to the store, buying it, and returning my Amazon order when I get it.

Danielsan

JumpingTheGun said:
Do the lizards and fruits in SotC take some real hardcore exploring to find or are they in pretty simple locations?
Lizards are always near a save shrine. Fruit are on trees.

_dementia said:
I'm fairly certain the in-game dialogue is gibberish either way. Not English. Not Japanese.
SotC has at least 10 to 15 minutes of made up language with English subtitles and what is said is significant.

ScOULaris

_dementia said:
Have you not played them?

There is only one character in Ico who doesn't have English subtitles (and they are in English during the second playthrough), and all of SotC's fictional language has English subtitles as well.

The dialogue in these games is sparse, but that's exactly why you need to be able to understand it. I can see how the games could still be enjoyable without understanding the subtitles, but without question understanding them adds greatly to the experience.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
ScOULaris said:
I know, but there's always the chance that it won't get there on time. It happens.

just as likely as the store you chose not bothering to put it out on the shelves on release day

RedSwirl

By the way, for those who haven't played SOTC yet, the horse controls are not 1:1, they are 1:1:1. And even then, to some extent the horse has an AI of its own while you ride it. Agro will automatically navigate around certain obstacles, slow down in narrow pathways, and will stop before a gap that's too big to jump.

tirminyl

Grrr. I pre-ordered this a while ago and at the time it didn't have release date shipping. When I realized the release date was coming, I checked my order and saw they had release date shipping but I couldn't select it. Amazon should notify people once they add release date shipping for a product.

RedSwirl said:
By the way, for those who haven't played SOTC yet, the horse controls are not 1:1, they are 1:1:1. And even then, to some extent the horse has an AI of its own while you ride it. Agro will automatically navigate around certain obstacles, slow down in narrow pathways, and will stop before a gap that's too big to jump.

Doesnt Agro have a couple of tricks and moves that aren't covered in the manual in terms of how to perform them?

RedSwirl

JumpingTheGun said:
Doesnt Agro have a couple of tricks and moves that aren't covered in the manual in terms of how to perform them?

Yes. You can make Wander hang onto the side of Agro, or stand on top of her while still riding.

RedSwirl

Hopefully we can get some good discussion about the colossi themselves and the symbolic connections between the games from the new players aside from the overall quality of the games. I still find it fascinating looking up information on each of the bosses. Anybody else notice how there are three Minotaurs and three serpents?

ScOULaris

RedSwirl said:
Hopefully we can get some good discussion about the colossi themselves and the symbolic connections between the games from the new players aside from the overall quality of the games. I still find it fascinating looking up information on each of the bosses. Anybody else notice how there are three Minotaurs and three serpents?
So much of it has already been discussed and analyzed over the years, but I guess it might pick up again with all of the newcomers.

Also, everyone needs to read Talking Ico: An Annotation by Peter Eliot after they've completed Ico. It's an excellent breakdown/analysis of the game's plot and design.

There's also a pretty good SotC Plot Analysis FAQ over at GameFAQs.

RedSwirl said:
Hopefully we can get some good discussion about the colossi themselves and the symbolic connections between the games from the new players aside from the overall quality of the games. I still find it fascinating looking up information on each of the bosses.Anybody else notice how there are three Minotaurs and three serpents?

I know it may seem trivial, but do you mind covering up that stuff dude? Ive never played either. Ill gladly contribute to discussions about the bosses but I want to go in knowing jack shit about the experience

ScOULaris

StevePharma said:
Mind. Blown.
When was it ever confirmed that Agro was a female? I'm pretty sure he's male.

Also, you can break into a full gallop with Agro from a standstill if you press Back + X at the same time.

Another hidden move is if you jump off of a ledge with water below, hold X and Wander will enter a diving animation.

ScOULaris said:
When was it ever confirmed that Agro was a female? I'm pretty sure he's male.

Also, you can break into a full gallop with Agro from a standstill if you press Back + X at the same time.

Another hidden move is if you jump off of a ledge with water below, hold X and Wander will enter a diving animation.

That dive move is so ballin'. There is a trophy for
doing all the stunt moves on Agro
, so that's a cool thing for people to figure out while they play.

ScOULaris

MadraptorMan said:
Are ICO and SoTC officially in the same "universe"?
Well,
Ueda has officially confirmed that they are, but he didn't plan on connecting the two from the onset of SotC's development. He threw in the horned baby at the end of development to create the connection.

RedSwirl

MadraptorMan said:
Are ICO and SoTC officially in the same "universe"?

Yes. Ueda prefers to consider Colossus
a prequel to Ico,
but likes to leave things up to individual interpretation.

PooBone

ScOULaris said:
The SotC theme is sort of a spoiler. ;)
Not to me. ;)

Pandoracell said:
Got my copy. Gonna play SotC first I think, even though i've never played ICO.
Me too, even though I've played them both several times. ICO is a much slower experience and I don't want to try and rush it because I'm anxious to get to Colossus (my favorite of the two)

ScOULaris

I think I am gonna play through ICO first, since it has been a while since I played through it. I've played through SotC more times than I can count.

Also, I want to unlock all of the second-playthrough features that we U.S. customers missed out on the first time around.

Also, who else is glad that we're getting the PAL version of SotC as well with the slow-mo effect on the last stab?

sarcoa

ScOULaris said:
Well,
Ueda has officially confirmed that they are, but he didn't plan on connecting the two from the onset of SotC's development. He threw in the horned baby at the end of development to create the connection.
ehhh
I assume he just chucked in the beach ripped right from Ico as well?

ScOULaris

sarcoa said:
ehhh
I assume he just chucked in the beach ripped right from Ico as well?
That beach was not ripped straight from Ico. It looks kind of similar, I guess, but it's in no way similar enough to think that it's supposed to be the same place.

Salaadin

There were many similarities between the two but
the horned baby was the glaringly obvious one. The other stuff (language, look, feel, Ico beach, shadow creatures) can all be chalked up to simple design choice and the fact that its the same team with the same art style.

The fun thing about post-SOTC were all the theories linking the two...going WAY beyond the horned baby link. So much fun to read.

jett

D-Member
I don't believe Ueda "chucked in" the connection to ICO at the last minute. There are too many visual cues in SotC, especially the architecture which is of a similar pre-columbian era style in all three games.

ScOULaris said:
That beach was not ripped straight from Ico. It looks kind of similar, I guess, but it's in no way similar enough to think that it's supposed to be the same place.

It doesn't matter anyway because the beach at the end of ICO isn't real.

PooBone

Salaadin said:
There were many similarities between the two but
the horned baby was the glaringly obvious one. The other stuff (language, look, feel, Ico beach, shadow creatures) can all be chalked up to simple design choice and the fact that its the same team with the same art style.

The fun thing about post-SOTC were all the theories linking the two...going WAY beyond the horned baby link. So much fun to read.
I remember that. Good stuff.

Top Bottom