• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The ICO and Shadow of the Colossus Collection |OT| Ueda *bow*

Shawsie64

Banned
UnluckyKate said:
Every other word would be spoil, either from the games or for appreciation of games based on too much hype.

So enjoy. And please, come back to post some feedback as much a possible

Will do :)

Im excited as the only thing I know about these games is how highly they are regarded.

I should have it by weeks end in the mail

anddo0

anddo0 said:
Got the same email. What a pleasant surprise. I've never received a game from them day 1.. No wonder they've been offering these deals. I regret skipping out on Uncharted 3 etc...

Well... Spoke too soon. "Estimated delivery 09/29/2011" LOL what?

I expected the 28th. But this really blows. I may get the game from GS instead.

To the others who purchased through Newegg. What does your est date say?

leng jai

It arrived. This thing is fucking beautiful - even the instruction manuals. Time to dig in.

BTW are the themes meant to have the slight flashing?

Reveirg

I'm around 2 hours into Ico now, it's my first time playing through.

I love the atmosphere and the general feel of the game. I'm not so sure about the gameplay so far though, there are some nice elements but overall I feel like it's a good thing the game only lasts 5-6 hours, the puzzles get old pretty fast.

Still, it's a very enjoyable experience so far. Maybe I'm just a bit impatient because I'm so eager to dive into SotC again, in glorious HD!!

Ico feels like SotC, with all its epicness taken away. That's not necessarily a bad thing though, it just makes for a very different but unique experience.

I have been playing SOTC for a few hours now (just beat the 6th I think). I don't remember if I did this before on the PS2, but I managed to grab one of the white doves in the temple and it took me for a quick 1 - 2 second fun ride in the air until it flew into the ground and I got knocked off. Hah

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Leshita said:
I have been playing SOTC for a few hours now (just beat the 6th I think). I don't remember if I did this before on the PS2, but I managed to grab one of the white doves in the temple and it took me for a quick 1 - 2 second fun ride in the air until it flew into the ground and I got knocked off. Hah
Yep, lots of small things in this game :)

No colossi-spoilers:
You can grab a fish by its back and hold on to it for a long period of time. Same thing with big birds.

I should go to sleep. The earlier I go to sleep, the earlier I get to work. The earlier I get to work, the earlier I leave work. The earlier I leave work, the earlier I get Ico & SOTC HD in my grubby hands.

San Francisco Gaf-ers might like to know:

I stopped by the 2673 Mission Steet GameStop today to make sure I could get a copy tomorrow, since they always push for
pre-orders, and consequently like to imply they may not have a 'non-pre order' copy
available Day 1.

The guy told me I could pick it up at midnight tonight, since their store had the highest pre-orders for FIFA 2012, and would be open then!

This is the first time I've ever pre-ordered with Gamestop (gave him $5 towards tonights purchase)

I don't know how many copies of Ico/SotC they'll have, but it may be worth a shot.

Can't wait : )

My local GameStop in Canada also had a midnight launch. Didn't go though. Midnight launches are kind pointless unless you have the day off the next day.

I'm going to be housesitting for the next four days with no friends around and nothing to do but care for the dog. Prrrooobably gonna have to pick this up. :p

leng jai

Beginning to think playing in japanese was a mistake? How do you save in ICO? I played about 15 minutes then quit out and I had to start again.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
leng jai said:
Beginning to think playing in japanese was a mistake? How do you save in ICO? I played about 15 minutes then quit out and I had to start again.
Sometimes you'll find a place to sit down (call for your lady to sit next to you).

leng jai said:
It arrived. This thing is fucking beautiful - even the instruction manuals. Time to dig in.

The instruction manuals are amazing, they are officially my favourite manuals off all-time now. The Ico one is like a storybook whereas the SOTC one is just nice with all the colourful artwork within. I just remembered how great the music in SOTC is after my play session, been rocking to the OS + Daddy's Gone all night. :p

ScOULaris

Just re-read the Digital Foundry Tech Analysis article again and watched their video of the 1080p showdown with the second colossus. The framerate only drops to 26fps for literally one second twice in the video (when stabbing the colossus). I hardly think that is worth switching over to 720p whenever you watch to play SotC.

leng jai said:

i hope so :) . they come across like old closed circuit camera feeds. odd but okay choice (i'll probably be sticking with the demon's souls dynamic theme)...

goonergaz

ScOULaris said:
Just re-read the Digital Foundry Tech Analysis article again and watched their video of the 1080p showdown with the second colossus. The framerate only drops to 26fps for literally one second twice in the video (when stabbing the colossus). I hardly think that is worth switching over to 720p whenever you watch to play SotC.

Like I said though - that's just one example...then there's also the pixel thing they speak of, be interesting to try in both and see it first hand.

Takuya

Banned
Reveirg said:
It doesn't. =/

And the cover art is even uglier because it has both french and english even for the title (La collection/ The Collection, Remastered in high definition / maintenant en haute définition)

I'm french-speaking and I wish I had received the US version, which is -slightly- better... Oh well...
I hate when that happens. It completely ruins the boxart; not to mention almost always causes the manufacturer to not give the same treatment (as in reversible covers etc.). Another good example was the Canadian Final Fantasy XIII cover not being "shiny".

Danielsan

leng jai said:
To a certain extent it is a mistake to play these games in Japanese if you can't read the language. Though there is very little story in terms of dialogue and text, what little there is quite important. Especially in Shadow of the Colossus you are gravely missing out if you can't understand the spoken narrative.

ScOULaris

Danielsan said:
To a certain extent it is a mistake to play these games in Japanese if you can't read the language. Though there is very little story in terms of dialogue and text, what little there is quite important. Especially in Shadow of the Colossus you are gravely missing out if you can't understand the spoken narrative.
Agreed. I want the artbook from the Japanese Limited Edition, but why would you want to play these games in Japanese? Seems like a waste.

f@luS

More than a member.
goonergaz said:
Like I said though - that's just one example...then there's also the pixel thing they speak of, be interesting to try in both and see it first hand.
but with 720p it will be your tv which will upscale...

nny

KennyLinder said:
Same. I emailed them and they said they are getting stock on Sept 30th.

Good to know; I was starting to worry with the prolonged "Waiting for stock".

edit:

KennyLinder said:
Yesasia say "Ready to be Shipped".

Hurrah!

Indeed it does!

\o/

edit 2:

Apparently they have stock not only for preorders, so if anyone is still looking for a Japanese LE yesasia has some.

ScOULaris

You guys who ordered yours on Newegg, Amazon, Yesasia... etc. are crazy. There's no way I would want to potentially wait an extra day or two. I'm picking this bad boy up TODAY.

ScOULaris said:
You guys who ordered yours on Newegg, Amazon, Yesasia... etc. are crazy. There's no way I would want to potentially wait an extra day or two. I'm picking this bad boy up TODAY.
I'm not crazy, just poor. Besides, I've got Kirby Mass Attack to hold me over, which is not a bad way to pass the time at all.

ScOULaris said:

I am getting the PAL version on Friday too.

Zwei

ScOULaris said:

never heard of release day delivery, I suppose

anddo0

ScOULaris said:

I would never do this for new releases like Dark Souls or U3.. Newegg doesn't do release day, and even with Amazon release day, you're looking at late day delivery or even next day. I made an exception for ICO/Sotc since I've beaten both games so many times over. Also there's the $18 difference (NYST and travel cost). So I guess in the end 2 days later won't kill me.

Scoularis Ill be doing the same: picking up on my break and staring at the box for the following few hours. This is my first time playing these too XD

and I cant watch YouTube vids at work. The site is blocked =/

ScOULaris

JumpingTheGun said:
Scoularis Ill be doing the same: picking up on my break and staring at the box for the following few hours. This is my first time playing these too XD

and I cant watch YouTube vids at work. The site is blocked =/
It's not my first time playing them. They are two of my favorite games of all time, and I have played both of them several times over (especially SotC).

On my PS2 save for SotC, my stamina circle is so big that it's invisible, and my health bar extends across the entire width of the screen. That's a testament to how many times I've replayed it. Beat Normal and Hard Time Attack as well to get all of the unlockable items.

ScOULaris said:
Agreed. I want the artbook from the Japanese Limited Edition, but why would you want to play these games in Japanese? Seems like a waste.

'waste' of what? :) as much as i treasure them, i have no memories whatsoever of any dialog from either of these games. & why would i? - part of their magic, & their impact, is the fact that they both tell their stories without words...

not all songs have, or need, lyrics. anyone attempting to parse what's little's being said in these games, in order to get a handle on what the hell's going on, is completely missing the forest for the trees, & has my sympathy...

ScOULaris

All I'm saying is, when two of the best games ever get a quality HD re-release like this, wouldn't you want to experience them in your native language? It's not like the Japanese versions have anything that makes them different from the US release, and you can always order the artbook later. I get that the Limited Edition is a very nice collectors piece, but I want to own the best version of these two games. And the best version is the one that has English text (for menus, manuals, and dialogue).

Top Bottom