• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The ICO and Shadow of the Colossus Collection |OT| Ueda *bow*

Reclaimer

ScOULaris said:
So much of it has already been discussed and analyzed over the years, but I guess it might pick up again with all of the newcomers.

Also, everyone needs to read Talking Ico: An Annotation by Peter Eliot after they've completed Ico. It's an excellent breakdown/analysis of the game's plot and design.

There's also a pretty good SotC Plot Analysis FAQ over at GameFAQs.
Thanks for the link dude! Seems like a good read.

I stopped reading after the first part because I'm trying to forget as much as I can from my first playthrough so long ago on PS2. I want to go on fresh as possible.

For anyone going through the first time, don't you dare read that article before finishing the game. :)

Coldsnap

How is Ico as a game to have your girlfriend watch? My last girlfriend watched me play through SOTC and loved it... wondering if I should show Ico to my lady friend

Salaadin

Coldsnap said:
How is Ico as a game to have your girlfriend watch? My last girlfriend watched me play through SOTC and loved it... wondering if I should show Ico to my lady friend

Does she play games at all? If so, let her play it. My sister was in love with the game after playing it.

patsu

Coldsnap said:

Heavy Rain is pretty good for spectating too.

Danielsan

ultron87 said:
This isn't a game that will become hard to find in a month, right?

*debating whether to buy it now*
Support great games and good HD remaster efforts (looking at you Ubisoft and Capcom) and buy it now.

ScOULaris

Coldsnap said:
Even better, play through it the second time with your girlfriend controlling Yorda. ;)

Coldsnap

Salaadin said:
Does she play games at all? If so, let her play it. My sister was in love with the game after playing it.

I'm not really sure, just started hanging out with her. I think she use to play video games a lot, played Halo Reach with her and she was actually decent.

Are you gonna come back to XIV for the patch btw?

ScOULaris said:
Even better, play through it the second time with your girlfriend controlling Yorda. ;)

What you can do that?!

PooBone

ScOULaris said:
So much of it has already been discussed and analyzed over the years, but I guess it might pick up again with all of the newcomers.

Also, everyone needs to read Talking Ico: An Annotation by Peter Eliot after they've completed Ico. It's an excellent breakdown/analysis of the game's plot and design.

There's also a pretty good SotC Plot Analysis FAQ over at GameFAQs.
It's been a while since I read that, but I agree it is a good and worthwhile read.

PooBone

Coldsnap said:
wow, she's a trooper!
First game we ever played together, right after we started dating, was the Gamecube remake of Resident Evil. Eternal Darkness was another classic. Horror games are a staple for us, I'll wait to play em until one night when she can sit next to me. Did the same with Alan Wake recently.

EDIT: I tried to get her to watch Uncharted 2, since that's kinda how the game was marketed. LOL. She wasn't very interested and said it was like a cheesy action movie and that the main character was an unlikeable dick.

I lawled.

RedSwirl

What about the
big dark figment that can be seen in the distance that looks like it could be the castle from Ico if you look at it from the bridge (when you reach the bridge climbing up the shrine)
?

cackhyena

PooBone said:
EDIT: I tried to get her to watch Uncharted 2, since that's kinda how the game was marketed. LOL. She wasn't very interested and said it was like a cheesy action movie and that the main character was an unlikeable dick.

I lawled.
What? Divorce.

PooBone

RedSwirl said:
What about the
big dark figment that can be seen in the distance that looks like it could be the castle from Ico if you look at it from the bridge (when you reach the bridge climbing up the shrine)
?
good stuff.

cackhyena said:
What? Divorce.
lol, not at all. Drake is a cocky fuck. She likes the more fucked up and sometimes more intellectual games I play. I personally loved Uncharted 2 and called it my GOTY 2009. (although looking back, I'd prolly give it to Assassin's Creed 2) We were both big fans of Twin Peaks, which is part of the reason we loved Alan Wake so much.

Salaadin

Coldsnap said:
I'm not really sure, just started hanging out with her. I think she use to play video games a lot, played Halo Reach with her and she was actually decent.

It might be worth a shot. Like I said, my sister loved it. Even prompted her to play SOTC which was a huge stray from the types of game she usually plays. Shes a devout Team ICO fan now.

Coldsnap said:
Are you gonna come back to XIV for the patch btw?
Im definitely going to check it out. I came back to XI for a little but thats already wearing on me. I need something new. XIV sounds like a completely different game now.

Thinking about XIV still ticks me off. I was so excited for it :(

Coldsnap said:
What you can do that?!

It wasnt in the original US release but was for JP and EU. Im not sure if it has to be unlocked or if it can be done right from the start but yeah, a second controller can control Yordas movement.

Coldsnap

Salaadin said:
Im definitely going to check it out. I came back to XI for a little but thats already wearing on me. I need something new. XIV sounds like a completely different game now.

Thinking about XIV still ticks me off. I was so excited for it :(

Yea same here, but the last dungeon patch was really good! got my less jaded and stoked for this one

Sanic

Wow, I just played through the first 3 colossi and i'm not really having fun at all. Odd, considering I loved the game when it came out. Might just stop and play ico instead.

cackhyena

PooBone said:
Hopeful saving grace:
She did really like Ico and SOTC and didn't ask questions when I moved to PS3 out of the living room into my man cave yesterday. :)
She's alright. Keep here around for a while. My wife used to watch a lot more with me. She even played all the way through R6: Vegas back in the day. Now she's hooked on certain iOS games like Tiny Tower. She's still beast at Dr. Mario, though. I literally have no chance. On a good day, I can tie her in Tetris wins. Talking Super Nintendo versions.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Coldsnap said:
Together with Uncharted series and Heavy Rain, It's basically a Perfect Game™ for that kind of thing. Especially since there are puzzles that she can help you out with. When you complete the game once, she can also control Yorda then.

GeoramA

Hanmik said:
does anyone know if these beautifull games are coming to PSN..? please say yes, they are coming..
Well they're not hitting PSN day 1 like GoW Origins. But I would assume they will down the road.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
_dementia said:
I looked, but I couldn't see him :(

I guess I'll try harder next time.
He definitely swims away, it's clearly visible. No one dies in chapter 1.

I've also noticed in the gameplay of UC3 they now let you not snap someone's neck, but instead chose to do a chokehold like in chapter 1 of UC2, which takes a bit longer, but the enemy would just faint.

partime

PooBone said:
That's one of the best spectator games I've ever played with my wife watching.

The best was Condemned; Criminal Origins.

My wife started spectating right when i was about to have sex in the hotel room.

Uncomfortable? Yes, but she was definatly hooked afterwards

She refers to Heavy Rain as that game were you strip tease and have sex..

Just picked up my copy. As per usual, Canadians get screwed out of the reversible cover. Fuck you Sony.

OMCeg.jpg

jett

D-Member
Crewnh said:
Just picked up my copy. As per usual, Canadians get screwed out of the reversible cover. Fuck you Sony.

OMCeg.jpg

Could you take a look at the bonus videos and see if there's actually any new TLG footage?

partime said:
My wife started spectating right when i was about to have sex in the hotel room.

Uncomfortable? Yes, but she was definatly hooked afterwards

She refers to Heavy Rain as that game were you strip tease and have sex..
It's kinda fucked up how the first moment you get control over the female character you can get her naked.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
ScOULaris said:
All I'm saying is, when two of the best games ever get a quality HD re-release like this, wouldn't you want to experience them in your native language? It's not like the Japanese versions have anything that makes them different from the US release, and you can always order the artbook later. I get that the Limited Edition is a very nice collectors piece, but I want to own the best version of these two games. And the best version is the one that has English text (for menus, manuals, and dialogue).
You do realize that some of us can actually understand Japanese, right?

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
PooBone said:
First game we ever played together, right after we started dating, was the Gamecube remake of Resident Evil. Eternal Darkness was another classic. Horror games are a staple for us, I'll wait to play em until one night when she can sit next to me. Did the same with Alan Wake recently.

I lawled.

My wife is a gamer also, but she loves watching me play through Survival Horror games. I can't even count how many times I've played through Silent Hill 2 and 3 with her. We're currently going through Siren: Blood Curse, RE4 HD, Dead Space 2, and Alice: The Madness Returns (not survival horror, but it's still pretty creepy at times). Most of my female friends are big into Survival Horror games. I wish there were more of them this generation.

I'm looking forward to playing Ico and SOTC later today when I get home from work.. I'll try and run through Ico and beat it, so we can try it out together. That should be interesting.

Salaadin

_dementia said:
It's kinda fucked up how the first moment you get control over the female character you can get her naked.
Same thing for Ethan, I think. Isn't taking a shower practically the tutorial of that game?

Top Bottom