• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The ICO and Shadow of the Colossus Collection |OT| Ueda *bow*

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Yeah, I simply cannot believe that the day has almost come for this. It was pretty bad when they delayed it from march this year.

Dash Kappei said:
Is there a valid reason SotC outputs at a lower resolution than friggin' GT5?
I'm trying to no start flippin' tables here, help me out ok?
I think the reason is they're doing these by partially emulating the way things are done in them. For example, instead of lighting through 'normal', fast pixel shader approach, they are doing it the same way it was done in the original, by multiplying and blending numerous textures and who knows what. The kind of operations for which the hardware is not best suited for, especially at high resolutions.

StuBurns said:
I don't believe it would at all. No scaling is far better than scaling.
It will still be scaled in one direction, and probably bilinearly (by blurring the edges between pixels). I really doubt it will be just pixel doubled. Besides, if they're applying MLAA on the final stretched 1080p image (which is admittedly doubtful), it won't work nearly as well. There's other games that have this kind of upscaling, you can look them up and see how it looks like. Usually not that great IMO.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I'm glad they cut that colossus. With the exception of the FUCKING SCORPION, all of the colossi are majestic and kinda beautiful. It really enhances the ending of the game when you realize it. That spider colossus looks like a piece of shit I want to step on.

Carl

bone_and_sinew said:
I still wish they would've included the spider colossus that got cut. It looked sick.

SotC_spiderColossus.jpg

Holy fuck i've never seen this before. Gonna have to look for the other cut colossi.

Xena

Great thread! I haven't had the opportunity to play neither games years ago, so I'll definitely be checking this out (even though I'm kinda worried it's gonna be as hard as Demon's Souls - I was watching GB's quicklook and I'm not sure I can deal with Shadow of the Collossus. I think it will frustrate me too much like DS).

MechaX

Y2Kev said:
I'm glad they cut that colossus. With the exception of the FUCKING SCORPION, all of the colossi are majestic and kinda beautiful. It really enhances the ending of the game when you realize it. That spider colossus looks like a piece of shit I want to step on.

Spider Colossus would still be better than Small Bull Colossus.

seabee said:
Great thread! I haven't had the opportunity to play neither games years ago, so I'll definitely be checking this out (even though I'm kinda worried it's gonna be as hard as Demon's Souls - I was watching GB's quicklook and I'm not sure I can deal with Shadow of the Collossus. I think it will frustrate me too much like DS).

Huh? Difficulty wise, SotC isn't within the same galaxy as Demon's Souls.

seabee said:
It's nowhere near Demons Souls difficulty. SotC is a kid's game compared to Demons Souls.

Xena

vodka-bull said:
It's nowhere near Demons Souls difficulty. SotC is a kid's game compared to Demons Souls.
Really? I don't know. Brad, or whoever was playing that demo, kept falling off the colossus all the time - to me it seemed extremely frustrating.

Frame rate drops in '1080p' mode is disappointing. I'll need to play in 720p now, as a locked 30fps is really a priority with this game. A smooth frame rate this time will have more of an impact than being HD imo.

KingK

Shadow of the Colossus is still my favorite game ever. I've never played ICO (I could never find it for a reasonable price), so I can't wait for this!

KingK

seabee said:

Don't judge the difficulty from GB's quicklook. The guy playing had no idea what he was doing, he didn't even realize that the huge pink circle was the grip meter, that was why he kept dying.

Shadow isn't extremely difficult or frustrating. The final colossi is the only one I remember being somewhat frustrated by.

Mzo

Fine Ham Abounds said:
I hate to be That Guy, but I have little interest in Ico, and SotC's PS2 framerate and general emptiness killed it for me the first time around before I even got to the second colossus.

This is in my GF queue though, and I am going to give both their fair shake. I'm enthusiastic about seeing if I can "get" SotC now that I think I can play though it without getting a headache.
The games haven't changed, but maybe you have. They are slow, beautiful, sweet, introspective games. They're best when you play them alone and let yourself get swept up in them.

Fixing the framerate of SotC is cool and all, but if that was enough to deter you from playing an amazing game, what can I say? Maybe these games are not for you.

It's weird how people tend to hold all games to the same standards of excitement and non-stop action. Do you always want to watch Transformers, or are you ever in the mood for Lost in Translation?

seabee said:
Really? I don't know. Brad, or whoever was playing that demo, kept falling off the colossus all the time - to me it seemed extremely frustrating.

If you never fall off the Colossus during your initial experience with the game then the game is really no challenge at all, and would be a cakewalk. I was never frustrated with the game during my play through on the PS2 even with the 'horrible' framerate some complained about (I kind of liked the horrible framerate actually, adds to the chaos during the battle for me, and it really did not affect my enjoyment of the game at all). Falling off simply allowed me to think through my mistakes and learn from them so I can get the timing of my jumps or whatever right the next time around. You also get a great sense of accomplishment when your grip meter is nearly depleted and you somehow miraculously get that last stab to end the colossus' life. :)

Mzo

seabee said:

I really hope this is a joke post.

Xena

Mzo said:
I really hope this is a joke post.
Care to explain why? I'm "sorry" I'm not very good at these kinds of games. I watched that quick look exactly to have an idea if I could handle the game or not.

Xena

Leshita said:
If you never fall off the Colossus during your initial experience with the game then the game is really no challenge at all, and would be a cakewalk. I was never frustrated with the game during my play through on the PS2 even with the 'horrible' framerate some complained about (I kind of liked the horrible framerate actually, adds to the chaos during the battle for me, and it really did not affect my enjoyment of the game at all). Falling off simply allowed me to think through my mistakes and learn from them so I can get the timing of my jumps or whatever right the next time around. You also get a great sense of accomplishment when your grip meter is nearly depleted and you somehow miraculously get that last stab to end the colossus' life. :)

I don't mind continuing the game many times - but there's a point where I just have to say "I'm done with the game" because I don't have too much time to spend on one single game to master it; I'm more of a RPG kinda person. I do play DS every once in a while and improve a bit going further than last time, but it still like once a month or so. I don't want my experience with this game to be like this as well.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
SOTC is more of a puzzle game. Once you figure out how to beat the colossi, it will be no problem. DS is on another level of frustration. They're really not comparable at all.

Angry Fork

seabee said:
Care to explain why? I'm "sorry" I'm not very good at these kinds of games. I watched that quick look exactly to have an idea if I could handle the game or not.
Staying on colossus' isn't hard at all. You just hold R1 on the patches you're allowed and run on their body whenever they start to slow down. You can time it because they repeat their moves/mannerisms. If you see a video of someone playing and he's constantly falling off then he either has terrible coordination (enough to lose the first level of Mario Bros.) or he has no clue how to play the game. It's almost a run on joke now that people who play these games before release always suck for some reason.

KingK

seabee said:

Like I said, the reason it looked "hard" in the quicklook was because the person playing didn't understand the controls and basic mechanics of the game. If he would have actually known that the big pink circle was the grip meter, he would have beaten that colossus in under 5 minutes.

You don't have to be particularly skilled at video games to complete Shadow of the Colossus without much of a problem.

StuBurns

Banned
Lord Error said:
It will still be scaled in one direction, and probably bilinearly (by blurring the edges between pixels). I really doubt it will be just pixel doubled. Besides, if they're applying MLAA on the final stretched 1080p image (which is admittedly doubtful), it won't work nearly as well. There's other games that have this kind of upscaling, you can look them up and see how it looks like. Usually not that great IMO.
That makes no sense to me, there is no reason for anamorphic scaling. It is exactly half the pixels, so you do two for each one and you retain per pixel mapping.

Xena

KingK said:
Like I said, the reason it looked "hard" in the quicklook was because the person playing didn't understand the controls and basic mechanics of the game. If he would have actually known that the big pink circle was the grip meter, he would have beaten that colossus in under 5 minutes.

You don't have to be particularly skilled at video games to complete Shadow of the Colossus without much of a problem.
Thanks for your input, I'll keep that in mind and I'll give it a shot at the game.

Mzo

seabee said:
No problem.

I mentioned this after I saw that Quick Look, and it makes me really sad that one person can make a game look bad for a whole generation who may never have played it.

You have a regenerating grip meter that comes into play when a Colossus is trying to shake you off. There's supposed to be a tug-of-war between the dude trying to buck you off and how long you can hold on.

Brad never let go of the button. He held it down until he lost his grip, as seen by the circle shrinking down to nothing, ignoring the rumbling of his controller and the game's warning beeps. Then he tries to jump back on immediately after hanging on until 0, giving it no time to regenerate.

It's pretty obvious from the shining sword light that you're supposed to stab the back of the knee, and then when the Colossus trips, the new camera angle shows you a close up of his super easy to climb arm, which Brad ignored.

Please don't judge anything at all ever by that Quick Look, it was the worst of the worst.

feel

Cruzader said:
I'm sure you playing but disable trophies on xmb?
You can disable trophy popups?? I hate popups while playing great games and I've been bitching about not being able to turn them off on ps3 as opposed to being able to on the xbox. :O

How??

seabee said:
Because he probably didn't care about picking up additional stamina. Of course, if you never pick up a lizard, it may be considered hard, but who'd play it that way?

Edit: Or what KingK said. Whenever Wanda can stand on a colossi without the threat of falling off it you can regenerate your stamina in seconds.

KingK

vodka-bull said:
Because he probably didn't care about picking up additional stamina. Of course, if you never pick up a lizard, it may be considered hard, but who'd play it that way?

My first time playing the game I didn't know you could increase your health or stamina, lol.

Letters said:
You can disable trophy popups?? I hate popups while playing great games and I've been bitching about not being able to turn them off on ps3 as opposed to being able to on the xbox. :O

How??

I think it's in Settings and you turn off Notifications or something. I believe it will also turn off the notifications of when someone comes on/offline though too.

Mzo

vodka-bull said:
Come on now, additional stamina for the FIRST Colossus? There's no excuse for what he did.

StuBurns

Banned
KingK said:
I think it's in Settings and you turn off Notifications or something. I believe it will also turn off the notifications of when someone comes on/offline though too.
That's all it does, well, that and messages etc. Trophies still appear.

Mzo said:
Come on now, additional stamina for the FIRST Colossus? There's no excuse for what he did.

Hearing all these comments has gotten me interested. Care to share the link to this video?
He must really suck based off of all these comments. Hah.

black_13

Banned
Ahhhh been waiting for this since the PS3 came out.
Wish they had done a little more to SotC but still looks alot better.

KingK

Leshita said:
Hearing all these comments has gotten me interested. Care to share the link to this video?

Here it is. He starts fighting the colossus at about 43:00

The worst is when he gets frustrated and quits he goes "Let the records show that I never let go of the grip button!" No shit, that's why you kept dying, lol.

Grisby

Y2Kev said:

Eh, there were one or two I'd trade for that spider, namely the
the stadium one and one of the smaller beasts.

StuBurns

Banned
I don't doubt I'm in the minority, but I wouldn't have wanted anything added to either game. Not because they're perfect or anything, but I like the idea of them being as they were, just with the performance benefits of the newer console.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Grisby said:
Eh, there were one or two I'd trade for that spider, namely the
the stadium one and one of the smaller beasts.
That's the scorpion. The scorpion is the only one in the game that I thought deserved it.

But I felt so bad for the bulls. You scare them with fire. You are a big mean douche in this game.

btw i'm banning anyone who bashes these games just fyi

Amir0x

Banned
I wish they had a "cutting room floor" Shadow of the Colossus where there was a special game mode that allowed you to take down the "cut" Colossus that didn't end up in the final game. it's always been my own wish outside of the framerate issue.

God, guys...can you believe it? A Shadow of the Colossus with a non-shitty framerate locked in. The one major flaw has been removed. Classic all-time status will finally be attained.

HYDE

Banned
Serious question: Is there an original PS2 disc for North America that isn't blue for PS2. I've even read that there was a greatest hits version? Never seen one that wasn't blue, and I've never seen a greatest hits version. Are there such things?

Grisby

Y2Kev said:
That's the scorpion. The scorpion is the only one in the game that I thought deserved it.

But I felt so bad for the bulls. You scare them with fire. You are a big mean douche in this game.

btw i'm banning anyone who bashes these games just fyi

Ah, its been so long I forgot a lot of the names of the creatures. Also, I hope friendly critiquing is allowed. I enjoy the games as much as the next gaffer but they certainly weren't perfect.

Also, your right about being quite the asshole in this game. Team ICO should have added an extra mode titled as such where Wanderer throws up devil horns while rocking his head to metal (wielding two swords and Argo has hydraulics).

kadotsu

Banned
HYDE said:
Serious question: Is there an original PS2 disc for North America that isn't blue for PS2. I've even read that there was a greatest hits version? Never seen one that wasn't blue, and I've never seen a greatest hits version. Are there such things?
PS2-DVDs are blue PS2-CDs are not blue.

Crisis

Banned
HYDE said:

Of which game? Because as far as I know, Ico was only on a CD in the US. It fucking definitely did not get a Greatest Hits release, though Shadow of the Colossus did and was on DVD.

Leshita said:
He was completely oblivious to the stamina bar decreasing and figured that the colossi was knocking him off randomly/because he didn't unequip his sword. It was a painful QL to see. Also spending way too much time intently trying to reveal weakpoints with the sword beam and using the bow and arrow.

Top Bottom