• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The ICO and Shadow of the Colossus Collection |OT| Ueda *bow*

StuBurns

Banned
HYDE said:
Serious question: Is there an original PS2 disc for North America that isn't blue for PS2. I've even read that there was a greatest hits version? Never seen one that wasn't blue, and I've never seen a greatest hits version. Are there such things?
My UK version is on DVD. But I don't think the US rerelease had the Euro content. Maybe it got cheaper to print DVDs.

kadotsu said:
PS2-DVDs are blue PS2-CDs are not blue.
That's not true.

PS2 DVDs - Clear
PS2 CDs - Blue
PS1 CDs - Black

Grisby

Y2Kev said:
no, u ban now
NceQk.gif

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Rickenslacker said:
He was completely oblivious to the stamina bar decreasing and figured that the colossi was knocking him off randomly/because he didn't unequip his sword. It was a painful QL to see. Also spending way too much time intently trying to reveal weakpoints with the sword beam and using the bow and arrow.
goddam why do people watch these

is it like watching Ridiculousness?

stalker

Maybe it's already been commented, I have not read the whole thread, but the EU release date for Shadow of the Colossus is 2006 instead of 2005. Minor detail of course, very nice thread.

HYDE

Banned
StuBurns said:
My UK version is on DVD. But I don't think the US rerelease had the Euro content. Maybe it got cheaper to print DVDs.

That's not true.

PS2 DVDs - Clear
PS2 CDs - Blue
PS1 CDs - Black

So Ico was printed on a CD in the US? It always seemed to me like it was meant to be a PS1 game. Wasn't it like a launch game for PS2.

I also just realized it is almost exactly ICO's 10th anniversary. It was released September 24th 2001 and 3 months before Japan on December 6th, 2001. It's crazy it actually released here first and not there.

Rickenslacker said:
He was completely oblivious to the stamina bar decreasing and figured that the colossi was knocking him off randomly/because he didn't unequip his sword. It was a painful QL to see. Also spending way too much time intently trying to reveal weakpoints with the sword beam and using the bow and arrow.

Seems like some modern 'game design' would have done him well. ;P
More handholding and having everything minute labelled for you during gameplay, hurray! Also he admits that he is not a patient person and got frustrated when he first played this game on the PS2 years ago so I doubt he got very far back then or even enjoyed the game. For the record, I am not someone that gets frustrated easily, if ever, so I may be the polar opposite of him, and that's why SOTC is one of my favourite games ever. :)

StuBurns

Banned
HYDE said:
So Ico was printed on a CD in the US? It always seemed to me like it was meant to be a PS1 game. Wasn't it like a launch game for PS2.
It was in development for PS1, maybe that did impact the scope of the game which affected it's ultimate file size, but I don't know. Lots of PS2 games were on CD initially. It actually really hurt piracy because CD burners were cheap, but blank DVDs and burners at the time were still very expensive.

I've just remember, the copy I looked at was my rerelease version, my original Ico isn't here, so I don't know if the original pressing was CD here or not.

Visceir

Rickenslacker said:

Well, it's Brad...

Persona7

Banned
Most early PS2 games used CDs.

I am getting this collection sometime next week because my game shop friend owes me 30 bucks and is getting this in early.

vazel

Banned
Can't wait to replay these. I still remember how I felt when I finished playing Ico way back then. I never imagined a videogame could be crafted like that. My receiver has been dying I hope it lasts a little longer so I can play in surround sound.

Shit is paid off, son. Being finally able to play Shadow of the Colossus with a steady framerate is alone worth the price, Ico is just the cherry on top. A phenomenal cherry, mind you.

Teknoman

If by "sick" you mean "SCARY AS FUCK KILL IT NOW!", then I agree. A lot of the colossi that they cut from the game have given me nightmares. Especially that worm one. (I think it's a worm?)

Have you guys ever had dreams based off of Wander and the Colossus? Good fucking night, they are scary as Hell.

Nothing really scary, but kinda exhilarating. Had a dream that was similar to the flying bird colossus. Was insane.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
SotC really clicked for me after I customized the controls... I eventually found a scheme that was very intuitive, especially for complex, layered actions. I'm pretty confident that it was far better than the default and should've taken its place.

But I can't remember what it was... it's gonna take a while to figure it out again.

But I'm grateful for fully mappable controls. Devs that don't do this really suck.

feel

So trophy popups cannot be deactivated? Only friend notifications?

Does anyone know of some kind of trick or glitch that could make the trophy popups not appear?

I hate being reminded I'm playing a videogame when I'm totally immersed into a great experience. I need them gone in SOTC, ICO, TLG, JOURNEY and Uncharted 3.

Dragon

Banned
Letters said:
So trophy popups cannot be deactivated? Only friend notifications?

Does anyone know of some kind of trick or glitch that could make the trophy popups not appear?

I hate being reminded I'm playing a videogame when I'm totally immersed into a great experience.

They cannot be deactivated as far as I know unfortunately. I truly don't care about trophies. Pretty annoying.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

8zid8p.jpg
6gzdhh.jpg

2n1gtvq.jpg
sdoak5.jpg

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Stop whining about trophy pop ups. Once you Platinum the game, they will never appear ever again. lol.

Mzo said:
The games haven't changed, but maybe you have. They are slow, beautiful, sweet, introspective games. They're best when you play them alone and let yourself get swept up in them.

Fixing the framerate of SotC is cool and all, but if that was enough to deter you from playing an amazing game, what can I say? Maybe these games are not for you.

It's weird how people tend to hold all games to the same standards of excitement and non-stop action. Do you always want to watch Transformers, or are you ever in the mood for Lost in Translation?
Both films are soporific piffle in my book for completely different reasons, but I get what you're saying. I'm not sure though that my complaining about the emptiness of the world justifies assuming I have the attention span of Michael Bay.

This was exactly the kind of game I've always loved, hence why I tried it in the first place and was disappointed I couldn't get into it. The fps has always felt a regrettably cheap thing to complain about considering all the work they put into the graphics for the game, but running through an empty world at 25fps and then jittering up a jerky beast at 10-20fps quite literally made me nauseous.

I'd just like to give the game a second chance because I have the impression that it deserves it. In the event that I still don't care for it, at least I wouldn't be talking out of my ass if I knocked it.

TheBranca18 said:
They cannot be deactivated as far as I know unfortunately. I truly don't care about trophies. Pretty annoying.
I hate trophies too, but the popups aren't much more annoying than loading screens really.

Teknoman

A despair filled farewell has to be one of the best battle themes i've ever heard. Evokes so many feelings.

sdoak5.jpg

I'll take it.

Ico was one of my favorite games last gen, and one of my favorite games of all time. Can't wait to play it again and show it to my wife.

SotC I'm less bullish on. I liked the concept but I don't know, it never grabbed me the way Ico did. And I hated the ending. Maybe with a better framerate and knowing what to expect I'll enjoy it more this time.

Danielsan

Neuromancer said:
Ico was one of my favorite games last gen, and one of my favorite games of all time. Can't wait to play it again and show it to my wife.

SotC I'm less bullish on. I liked the concept but I don't know, it never grabbed me the way Ico did. And I hated the ending. Maybe with a better framerate and knowing what to expect I'll enjoy it more this time.
This just blows my mind. The ending was flat out amazing. :(

First time playing both.

I have more interest in SOTC than I do in ICO. I'll probably play them in order, but would anyone suggest I play SOTC first?

I'm definitely playing ICO first since I never played it before. Plus, when its time to play SOTC it will be a nice change of pace with the open world design. I also have the ending to look forward to since I bailed on the final boss.

genjiZERO

maybe it's petty, but trophies are keeping me on the fence about buying this game. The originals were so immersive that I fear trophies will ruin that. If only you could turn them off...

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I'll probably get this. I've never played Ico, and I played about halfway through Shadow of the Colossus but it was a mixed bag for me, mostly because of the terrible framerate. This is a good of a time as ever to give em a shot .

genjiZERO said:
maybe it's petty, but trophies are keeping me on the fence about buying this game. The originals were so immersive that I fear trophies will ruin that. If only you could turn them off...

Can't you disable notifications? Seems like there should be a way to turn them off.

hayguyz

Banned
Snuggler said:
Can't you disable notifications? Seems like there should be a way to turn them off.

Some people are saying you can turn them off, and others are saying that you can't. No one knows for sure...

Top Bottom