• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The ICO and Shadow of the Colossus Collection |OT| Ueda *bow*

KennyLinder said:
SotC

I seem to remember there isn't much to do in the secret garden at the top of the temple, it always looked like they intended to have more going on up there but ran out of time or something. Would be ace if there is more now :)
Well
that's the point. The whole game has hidden vistas throughout the land that are just simply there. The unique thing about the garden on top of the castle is that eating the fruit LOWERS your health as opposed to raising it like every other fruit bearing tree.

BTW, my trophy notifications happen during the save screen which contrasts what I've seen in videos. Is this not normal, though? Figured it was done on purpose to be unobtrusive. Maybe my trophies are just lagging? Good if so.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
The game(s) just arrived... I'm getting shivers all over my body. A new era begins now...

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
OMG!!!!!!!!! REVERSIBLE COVER :D :D

Adamm

Every post in the thread makes me sad that I have to wait 2 more days to play it!
Damn UK release dates!

Even Australia gets it before us!

leng jai

goonergaz said:
It is tempting, but it's bidding - will probably end up much higher and your money better spent towards the whole box set (and the disks and manuals are also extra special)

You probably can't get the jap LE anywhere hence the jacked up price.

Yoshichan

Shower done.
Food done.
Mentally done.

Putting in the SotC disc now... here goes nothing!

edit: FULL FUCKING ICO SONG AND SOTC-SONG IN THE THUMBNAIL!

This game OOZES with perfection already and I haven't even started the game!

Im holding out till I get one of those Sony HMZ-T1 headsets. It will be the first thing I fire up when I put that thing on my face.

Really love to hear impressions on the 3D in SotC.

ScOULaris

I haven't posted in this thread since picking up the game after work yesterday, so I thought I'd share my impressions:

This is the best HD remastering to date, with GOW: Origins following closely behind. The difference in visual (and even audio) quality from the originals is staggering. Ico's new clarity is especially a revelation when comparing it to the original low-res, scanlined presentation of the PS2 version. SotC runs smooth as silk, even in 1080p, and it's just an audiovisual feast right from the beginning in HD.

I am especially loving playing this version of Ico because I am noticing all sorts of changes and additions to the U.S. version that I originally played on PS2. I noticed Yorda exhibiting extra little behaviors that she never did in the NTSC release, and I've already come across one or two puzzle tweaks. I really can't want to start a second playthrough with her subtitles translated. Even if it weren't for all of that, simply playing this beautiful game in glorious HD is gaming heaven for me.

But I'm back at work now, so it looks like I will be suffering through yet another 8.5 hours of waiting until I get to play again. My wife was begging me to come to bed last night while I was up watching the Bonus Content videos. :)

Quixzlizx

ShockingAlberto said:
Dear Fry's,

Why would you let me pre-order this online if you were just going to put me on backorder?

I despise you,
ShockingAlberto

The same thing happened with me and the Catherine LE. I wouldn't pre-order anything with a limited first print from them.

I only played ICO for about 45 minutes last night but already I feel the emotional impact will be staggering in the end. I took a bite and took a glimpse at the intro of Shadow, but quickly turned it off as it was practically "too epic" to take in after experiencing the first few moments of ICO.

This is going to be a hell of a long day at work.

Is it still possible to find the soundtrack for both of these games?

ScOULaris

It's kind of cool to see how many of you are experiencing one or both of these games for the first time with this collection.

I think it's best that you discover most things for yourself, but here are some little details in SotC you might not know about:

- You can grab onto and ride doves, hawks, and fish. Try it out on the doves in the altar. Just sneak up on one, then jump toward it and hold R1 when it begins to fly away. It's much harder to grab a hawk, but they will take you for quite a ride when you do.

- In between hunting colossi, why not hunt some birds? It might seem impossible because your shot has to be very precise, but you can shoot hawks out of the air with your bow/arrow. It's pretty challenging (which is realistic) but extremely gratifying when you finally nail one out of the sky.

Also, after you've beaten the game and attempted the Time Attack modes, make sure you track down some world record time attack videos on YouTube. You'll be amazed at some of the approaches these speedrunners take, and you'll have a whole new appreciate for the physics engine in the game.

soldat7

Neuromancer said:
I find it weird they put that song from Ico right in the XMB and the title screen.

Bugs me that there is no background art in the XMB. They should have thought of that.

jett said:
No impressions of the bonus footage on the disc?

It's good stuff, just very very short. The longest feature is a 20 minute conversation between Ueda and a couple of vets from Ico/SotC. There's almost nothing new regarding TLG.

jett

D-Member
soldat7 said:
Bugs me that there is no background art in the XMB. They should have thought of that.

It's good stuff, just very very short. The longest feature is a 20 minute conversation between Ueda and a couple of vets from Ico/SotC. There's almost nothing new regarding TLG.

I feared that. Thanks.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Spent a lot of time with ICO yesterday and came away very impressed with the port. They really did a tremendous job here. Not only that, the game itself still looks and plays wonderfully and feels just as special today as it did in 2001.

I've always admired the visuals in ICO, but looking at it in 2011, I can't help but find myself even more impressed. The quality of the lighting and shadows is really incredible for the hardware. The sunlight and contrast between light and dark was unlike anything we had ever seen back then (one of the many games released in 2001 that demonstrated the clear advantage PS2 had over Dreamcast).

They use a lot of dynamic soft self-shadows in the game in areas where you'd expect it. Most moving objects cast shadows in the world and blend smoothly with pre-baked shadows. The environment is often shaded in such a way as to give the impression of ambient occlusion (nooks and crannies are properly darkened). Nothing dynamic about it, but it often looks correct. Of course there are things like the water and trees that are given special attention in certain areas. The pond beneath the windmill, for instance, STILL looks extremely nice.

Really, the way in which every scene is designed and lit still holds up in this day and age. Ueda's team was really ahead of the curve with this game and focused on visual elements that most studios didn't bother with. With both ICO and SotC, it feels as if they spent a lot of time hand coding effects to emulate the look of more advanced visual techniques that have only become common this generation.

I'm also thrilled that Blue Point actually mixed the games in proper 7.1 rather than just slapping in a DPL2 track. The audio is dramatically better as a result.

JumpingTheGun said:
I only played ICO for about 45 minutes last night but already I feel the emotional impact will be staggering in the end. I took a bite and took a glimpse at the intro of Shadow, but quickly turned it off as it was practically "too epic" to take in after experiencing the first few moments of ICO.

This is going to be a hell of a long day at work.

Is it still possible to find the soundtrack for both of these games?
Both the Ico and SOTC soundtracks should be available from Yesasia, Playasia, CDJapan, and Amazon Japan. The SOTC OST is especially great. :)

ScOULaris

One thing about SotC that I feel is often overlooked is how much post-game content there is. Playing through on Hard Mode is a rewarding experience because of the new vital point locations and increased difficulty, and having Time Attack modes for both difficulties that each yield their own set of unlockable items is a nice touch too.

I can't wait to go through both Time Attacks again in this HD version. I need to get back the invisible stamina circle and huge life bar that I had on my PS2 save.

My favorite combo:
Queen's Sword + Parachute + White Agro.

ScOULaris

Neuromancer said:
I find it weird they put that song from Ico right in the XMB and the title screen.
Yeah, they should have used the instrumental song that plays during the cinematic when you let the title screen idle.

ICO's main theme(?) that plays when you let its title screen idle is utterly beautiful. Mouth dropped when I first heard it last night in conjunction with the shot placements and cuts. Ueda is going to be my favorite game director after playing these I know it.

Yoshichan

1 hour and 10 minutes later... I finally decide to go to my first colossus.

I've been too busy doing everything including training my Agro skills and hunting down some of the fruit and lizards. This is gonna take me 30+ hours but I don't give a shit. This is how I played it the first time, this is how I'll play it this time.

I told myself I wasn't gonna buy this because new games... but I don't own either of them on PS2 and never did finish ICO. ;_; I won't have any moneys left for Dark Souls but fuck it I'm getting this tomorrow.

Salaadin

JumpingTheGun said:
ICO's main theme(?) that plays when you let its title screen idle is utterly beautiful. Mouth dropped when I first heard it last night in conjunction with the shot placements and cuts. Ueda is going to be my favorite game director after playing these I know it.

I like you.

ICO holds up really well. Its the same game I loved 10 years ago. Im so happy with this HD release.

LiK

JumpingTheGun said:
It was ahead of its time. People wonder why the wait for TLG has been so painful for us old Ueda fans.

SparkTR

soldat7 said:
It's kind of strange how Ueda went from the possibility of including a gameplay demo of TLG in this collection to having barely anything at all regarding the game.

IronRinn

Went straight to SotC last night (I will re-play Ico but I most interested in playing SotC at a decent framerate) and downed four Colossi. I forgot how gorgeous this game is. I also forgot how maddeningly frustrating it can be.

LiK said:
It was ahead of its time. People wonder why the wait for TLG has been so painful for us old Ueda fans.

Thats exactly what I kept saying last night while watching the introductory scene of ICO. I think its perfect timing to re release these now, as I can see why people couldnt see them for what they were a decade ago.

Magnus

Painful wait to play this. It's sitting at the store waiting for my pickup. Hopefully the shoot I'm on wraps by 8pm tonight and I can get an hour or two in. I've gotta see what SotC looks like now.

Probably gonna have to wait till this weekend. :(

goonergaz

People slag off HD remakes but this is a great example of why they work...I'm gonna love seeing my kids play these, I'd already introduced them to the PS2 versions but that was in the bedroom on a small TV...I can't wait...just a couple more days to go!

I started playing through SotC last night and downed 6 and got lots of lizard tails and fruit. Holy shit, this game is art. The feeling of being utterly alone, just you and your steed. The 7th is going to kick my ass tonight. I could tell from the statue it was a fish or something.

Top Bottom