• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The ICO and Shadow of the Colossus Collection |OT| Ueda *bow*

Snaku

Banned
This came in the mail today, forgot I had it pre-ordered on Amazon. But I had already rented Space Marine from Redbox. Sorry ICO...tomorrow.

FFS how do you get the fucking chandelier to fall, I've been trying for like 40 minutes. It won't fucking drop.

edit: ...got it. fuck I thought you jumped on it.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
This is like the greatest thing ever, having these games presented so perfectly.

And this will be my very first time through Sotc, instead of stopping after the first 2 colossi many years ago because the performance was awful. Jealous? :D

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Canadian box art print is unbelievably bad. The Uncharted 2 level of Canadian box print atrociousness.
Y2Kev said:
inverse kinematics :D

ueda made animation cool...and mostly everyone else still completely whiffs

not really surprising. he was an animator.
More importantly, he was able to recognize that you won't get amazing animation in games by just hiring great animators or great programmers. That you need geniuses who understand, and can do both really well.

Lord Error said:
Canadian box art print is unbelievably bad. The Uncharted 2 level of Canadian box print atrociousness.

Yeah it's pretty rough. I'm pretty sure my printer does a better job. Luckily we have custom cover-GAF.

Purexed

Banned
Got in 20 mins before my wife pulled me from playing SOC to help cook dinner. I must say, the 3D execution is fucking amazing. The art along with the clarity of everything is everything all the other 3D I've seen is missing. While the resolution drops from 1080p to 720, you don't see the massive tradeoff like Killzone 3 or Resistance 3. It's early but this may be the gaming equivalent of the Avatar 3D Bluray.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Son of a bitch!

It arrived in town this morning and seemingly just sat at UPS without ever going out on a truck. What a downer.

W1SSY

BobTheFork said:
FFS how do you get the fucking chandelier to fall, I've been trying for like 40 minutes. It won't fucking drop.

edit: ...got it. fuck I thought you jumped on it.
I hit that same point and got the chandelier to drop but I couldn't figure out what else I needed to do without a guide.

This is my first time playing Ico and it is beautiful. I love the ambient sounds. One problem I am having at the beginning is the controls. I was getting on the trolley and when trying to make it move I hit triangle thinking it was the action button. Needless to say I got to do the whole section again and proceeded to get knocked off the roof to my death by a shadow. I know after I play it for awhile I will get more accustomed to the controls.

Sai

Picked it up earlier this afternoon.

Guy at the local Best Buy said the game's been selling quite well. Put a smile on my face. :D

eshwaaz

Lord Error said:
More importantly, he was able to recognize that you won't get amazing animation in games by just hiring great animators or great programmers. That you need geniuses who understand, and can do both really well.
Well said. It's remarkable to me that Ico was such an accomplishment for animation on both artistic and technical levels, yet you never heard them screaming from the rooftops how amazing or revolutionary the movements were.

Nowadays developers cram down your throat how many animations character X has, or this amazing tech fueling the character actions, but it almost never pays off. Video game standards for animation are pathetically low.

shwimpy

First time playing Ico.... got to the first save point. This game is so beautiful and charming... have a huge smile on my face.

FantasticMrFoxdie said:
Couldn't resist so I bought a copy and plan to return my NewEgg copy...My shipping info for this entire day was from New Jersey to....New Jersey. -_-
I did the same... Never again, Newegg.

anddo0

Neuromancer said:
I did the same... Never again, Newegg.

I'm tempted to do the same. My shipping info hasn't been updated since last night. I'll never order a day one game from Newegg again. The saving isn't worth the headache.

Thoraxes

Got my copy from Target for $35.
Was super pumped to play, and I forgot to do the system update.
Anyone got suggestions what to do with myself while I wait 10 minutes in anticipation?

Quick

Banned
Thoraxes said:
Got my copy from Target for $35.
Was super pumped to play, and I forgot to do the system update.
Anyone got suggestions what to do with myself while I wait 10 minutes in anticipation?

Masturbate, of course.

bender

What time is it?
The ICO dynamic theme in the bonus content is nice though I could do without the film grain effect. I might have to finally replace my Afrika theme.

Cruzader

Banned
Got my newegg order today at afternoon but I got off work, well came back from a special dinner but work related, around 10pm. Booted BF3 beta instead for an hour.

Damn shame this happens. Plus I got RE4sdhd to beat. I'm a sad panda right now.

Einbroch said:
What order should I play the games in?

For the original experience, ICO > SotC. I suppose that'd be the better way to do it if you've never played them.

I started SotC tonight since I've played through them before.

--

Are there images/videos of the dynamic themes?

Can't wait to pick this up tomorrow. Never played more than a couple of hours of ICO, and don't even remember much of that. I did beat SOTC recently for the first time. But that was so broken up over the span of a couple of years that I have no problems experiencing it again from the beginning. Probably forget 3/4 of the ways to defeat the colossi too. Also never did hard mode or any of the secrets, and there are trophies to collect too. So damn excited!

bridegur

I'm sure this has been answered a thousand times, but can someone tell me what the situation is as far as 720/1080p and upscaling? I seem to remember there being some issue with this.

I remember playing the ICO demo on a Jampack disc back in the day. I ended up buying it when Toys R Us had their 90% off clearance in 2005 (never had another :() but never opened it. I tried playing SOTC at a friends a few years ago, but was turned off by the horrible framerate. Looks like it is amazing on PS3. I'm going to have to pick this up this week. =D

bender

What time is it?
I remember that Jampack demo. Wasn't the windmill puzzle reworked in the final version?

I'm actually thinking about the demo that came with PSM.

Aww shit, yeah. I remember playing that Jampack demo when I was 10 at a friend's house. I was blown away. In hindsight, it got this whole ball rolling. I was so pissed when Yorda fucked up and we couldn't get through the closing door :lol

Yuripaw

Banned
IMAG0270.jpg

Was playing the collection earlier today at my brother's place on his 135 inch screen in 3D (that's why the game image looks blurry/doubled), and holy crap it looked amazing :)

Top Bottom