• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The ICO and Shadow of the Colossus Collection |OT| Ueda *bow*

Takuya

Banned
GodDuckman said:
Out of curiosity, is anyone actually using the regular boxart and hasn't flipped it?

If so, what the HECK is wrong with you?
Bet they're too busy playing the AWESOMENESS inside the box to worry about it.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
GodDuckman said:
Out of curiosity, is anyone actually using the regular boxart and hasn't flipped it?

I haven't flipped it simply because it doesn't fit in properly on the shelf with the reverse cover. :\

GodDuckman said:

I don't like not having all the spines in my library consistent, not having the PS3 on it etc... That's the only reason I haven't flipped it yet, the inside images are awesome though :/

ScOULaris

GodDuckman said:

I haven't flipped it, and I don't plan on it. The reverse side has the ugly European cover art for SotC, and there's no PS3 branding so it would look weird among my other games.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
RoadHazard said:
Guess this doesn't really matter much, but I feel a bit uneasy not completely understanding the "rules" of the game. I though it would punish me by leaving her for an extended period of time, but it did not.
Not sure about that section, maybe it's like that to ease you in, but later on the game will start punishing you if you leave her behind.

corrosivefrost said:
I'm pretty sure, if you don't want trophies, you can go buy copies of the PS2 games on eBay and run them through an emulator on a high end PC... :p
This is true, but I'd definitely not recommend playing Ico especially this way, if you can choose, that is.

StuBurns

Banned
I'm probably not going to flip the cover because I hate the spines looking wrong, and then when you open it, it looks stupid.

Also, unlike most of GAF, I think although bad, the Euro cover isn't as bad as the US one. I actually imported an Asian version of the first GoW Collection to avoid that cover.

ScOULaris

StuBurns said:
I'm probably not going to flip the cover because I hate the spines looking wrong, and then when you open it, it looks stupid.

Also, unlike most of GAF, I think although bad, the Euro cover isn't as bad as the US one. I actually imported an Asian version of the first GoW Collection to avoid that cover.
What was wrong with the US cover? I thought it was actually better than the Euro and Jap covers, which is very rare.

Chris R

Playing Ico for the first time and having fun. Though I wonder, is there any way to tell ghost lady to STOP? I had to go do some switch pushing/box moving and she decided it was a good time to move ahead, smoke monsters spawned and almost pulled her into a void pit. Totally wouldn't have happened if she just stayed where I left her :<

StuBurns

Banned
ScOULaris said:
What was wrong with the US cover? I thought it was actually better than the Euro and Jap covers, which is very rare.
You think this:
gowcol.jpg

Is better than this:
godofwar_collection.jpg

?

Fair enough. I don't know what I hate about the 'normal' Remasters boxes, they're just horrible.

StuBurns said:
You think this:
http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/kotaku/2009/09/gowcol.jpg[/IG]

Is better than this:
[IMG]http://www.neonpunch.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/godofwar_collection.jpg[/IG]
?

Fair enough. I don't know what I hate about the 'normal' Remasters boxes, they're just horrible.[/QUOTE]

Box art within a box art is always horrible, I don't blame you.

[IMG]https://www.videogamesplus.ca/images/ds_castlevania_kb_boxart.jpg

StuBurns

Banned
ScOULaris said:
Wait, what? I am saying that I liked the original US SotC boxart better than the original Euro and Jap boxart for SotC.
That's completely unrelated to the post you quoted though.

In terms of the original SotC covers, Jpn>US>Euro for me.

really amazed at how ICO looks now. Wow. Much better than I expected. :eek:

also, starting SoC over with low health/stamina was a nice reality check. Played my PS2 copy so much that Wanderer was just overpowered as hell. Forgot what it felt like to start fresh. :D

I do wish they could have plugged some of the scrapped Colossi in. I knew the moment I beat SoC for the first time that it was in my Top 5, but subsequent playthroughs would never be nearly as special since a MASSIVE part of the experience was having no idea what the next colossi would be like. That thrill can never be replicated- both the visual beauty/fear and the joy of figuring out how to topple them.
Some of those unused colossi would have gone a long way to capture even a little of that feeling again.

Oh well. Still a stellar product and I adore replaying through both again.

ScOULaris

StuBurns said:
That's completely unrelated to the post you quoted though.

In terms of the original SotC covers, Jpn>US>Euro for me.
No it's not. The reversible cover of the collection uses the art from the original European release of SotC, which annoys me.

StuBurns

Banned
ScOULaris said:
No it's not. The reversible cover of the collection uses the art from the original European release of SotC, which annoys me.
Yes, it is. I didn't comment about the original covers or the reversible covers whatsoever in the post you quoted.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
_dementia said:
Payback for getting the more complete version of Ico the first time around?

Haha, yeah...

And to add injury to insult, the voucher code that's supposed to let us download the bonus content won't be redeemable until October 10, due to "some technical issues". Good job, SCEE!

EDIT: How many videos are on the US disc? The EU voucher supposedly only gets us two videos (concept video for NICO, and a behind-the-scenes video with interviews about the making of all three games). What will we be missing out on?

goonergaz

RoadHazard said:
Haha, yeah...

And to add injury to insult, the voucher code that's supposed to let us download the bonus content won't be redeemable until October 10, due to "some technical issues". Good job, SCEE!

odd considering I'm 99% sure it said the content would be on the disk...WTH

*edit* I guess I need to read properly (or ensure I'm reading the EU blog) - hey ho...

Bit-Bit

Beat Ico last night. Last time i played it was ten years. If you told me the game was made during this generation, I wouldn't hesitate to believe you. It's even more beautiful than many games released this Gen. The colors are vibrant and the famerate is smooth.

SotC on the other hand is not as sharp and the frame rate seems to be sub 30fps. Is that how its suppose to be?

cackhyena

Bit-Bit said:
Beat Ico last night. Last time i played it was ten years. If you told me the game was made during this generation, I wouldn't hesitate to believe you. It's even more beautiful than many games released this Gen. The colors are vibrant and the famerate is smooth.

SotC on the other hand is not as sharp and the frame rate seems to be sub 30fps. Is that how its suppose to be?
? Haven't noticed that at all.

Bit-Bit said:

Are you playing in 1080p? There are framedrops on SotC when playing in 1080p.

Takuya

Banned
Bit-Bit said:

Turn off motionflow and all that stuff if your TV has it enabled, it actually makes things worse.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Bit-Bit said:

Try setting your PS3 to display at 720p, that will ensure the best framerate possible. Also don't play in 3D if you're doing that.

edit: 4th time is the charm.

ScOULaris

I think it's the motion blur and the slower camera movement in SotC that might give some people the impression of a lower framerate. Rest assured, it's very smooth in this collection. Even in 1080p.

I popped in Ico for a bit last night and am stunned by how great it has held up. The fact that this game is 10 years old is a testament to absolute fantastic art direction and game design. I never finished Ico or SotC, so this collection is a real treat!

I can't even begin to imagine the impending awesomeness of The Last Guardian. *sigh*

CloakedPuppet said:
I popped in Ico for a bit last night and am stunned by how great it has held up. The fact that this game is 10 years old is a testament to absolute fantastic art direction and game design. I never finished Ico or SotC, so this collection is a real treat!

I can't even begin to imagine the impending awesomeness of The Last Guardian. *sigh*
impending? more like eventual.

:(

RoadHazard

Gold Member
So, here's the lowdown on the EU bonus content:

Nothing is included on the disc, instead we get a voucher that can't be redeemed until October 10. That voucher gets us - two weeks late - the dynamic themes and two of the videos. The other videos we don't get at all, period.

I seriously don't understand why they couldn't just include the same bonus content on the EU disc. Huge fail by SCEE (or whosever fault this is).

Davedough

So I was going through the options last night....

Anyone know what that Full Pixel option does? By default its off on both. I guess I could have just turned it on to see, but I was too eager to ruthlessly and selfishly slay colossi in the promise that my dead elf wife just might return to me.

B-Ri

Davedough said:

Anyone know what that Full Pixel option does? By default its off on both. I guess I could have just turned it on to see, but I was too eager to ruthlessly and selfishly slay colossi in the promise that my dead elf wife just might return to me.

""full pixel" mode that liberates the PS3 version from the borders of the original game, giving the game much more real estate on-screen - boosted all the more by the move from the original's 4:3 aspect ratio to the full 16:9 widescreen experience."

RoadHazard said:
So, here's the lowdown on the EU bonus content:

Nothing is included on the disc, instead we get a voucher that can't be redeemed until October 10. That voucher gets us - two weeks late - the dynamic themes and two of the videos. The other videos we don't get at all, period.

I seriously don't understand why they couldn't just include the same bonus content on the EU disc. Huge fail by SCEE (or whosever fault this is).

Exactly. I feel fucked Sony. Why? You did that shit right with God of War

RedSwirl

Davedough said:

For me it took care of the underscan.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
StuBurns said:
Maybe SCEE didn't feel it warranted the work to translate the videos in all the European languages.

Didn't someone say that ICO's subtitles are just in English, even if your PS3 is set to French or whatever? If so, that reasoning doesn't work.

(They are in English for me, but I wasn't expecting a Swedish translation anyway.)

LiK

B-Ri said:
""full pixel" mode that liberates the PS3 version from the borders of the original game, giving the game much more real estate on-screen - boosted all the more by the move from the original's 4:3 aspect ratio to the full 16:9 widescreen experience."

yup, turn on full pixel.

StuBurns said:
Maybe SCEE didn't feel it warranted the work to translate the videos in all the European languages.

It's like a couple of hours for each language guy to translate it into their respective language, and then a couple more for their cool subtitle guy to encode it into the video. It's not like they had to get it running at 60fps or anything.

Phatcorns

B-Ri said:

If you turn this on, you need to also have your TV set to Full Pixel mode or it cuts off portions of the screen.

Davedough

B-Ri said:

Right. So I'll be turning that on then.

Off-topic. I found it kind of annoying that you cannot switch from one game to the other without backing out completely to the PSN screen. There's no switch game mode from either game menu =(.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Davedough said:

You were curious about a setting but didn't spend the 1 second it would take to figure it out? You should do GiantBomb Quicklooks. :trollface

LiK

Davedough said:
Right. So I'll be turning that on then.

Off-topic. I found it kind of annoying that you cannot switch from one game to the other without backing out completely to the PSN screen. There's no switch game mode from either game menu =(.

that's pretty much the rule for all HD remasters/remakes from what i've seen. they're all treated as separate retail games even on the same disc.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
LiK said:
yup, turn on full pixel.

...if your TV is set to not overscan. If your TV does overscan (make the image larger than it should be and crop it around the edges), you should not turn this option on. Ideally though, you should turn this on and set your TV to not overscan (which can be done on any modern, decent HDTV). Only then will you be taking advantage of the game's full resolution.

Top Bottom