• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The ICO and Shadow of the Colossus Collection |OT| Ueda *bow*

conman

Salaadin said:
Thats funny. Wander does run a little goofy but not "like a girl".
He runs like a North Korean marches--straight legs out in front of him, torso leaning slightly back. Definitely looks goofier in higher res.

Muskweeto

To all the box art fanatics:
I threw my case in the trash and put the disc in my cd book with all my other games without cases.

COME. AT. ME. BRO!

Muskweeto said:
I threw my case in the trash and put the disc in my cd book with all my other games without cases.

COME. AT. ME. BRO!
you could have donated it to someone who may have bought it used without a box and manual

that's kinda wasteful

I find the 3D in Ico a bit distracting. Maybe I'm just not used to it. It's awesome in SotC though, with the perspective you get, both seeing the colossi from below and when climbing all over them.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Muskweeto said:

COME. AT. ME. BRO!

You're a bad person for throwing a perfectly good case in the trash. Otherwise, I don't care what you do with your disc.

dark10x said:
Well, you should be able to resolve that detail on a Panasonic plasma. What are your settings under the picture mode? How old is the plasma?

Older Panasonic displays probably won't be able to resolve the detail properly, but if it is from the last two to three years, it should be possible. Just tell me your settings and I might be able to help (I'm quite familiar with Pannys).
I'm on my way out the door right now but I would love if you could pass down some knowledge later on, that would be quite awesome.

I bought the set this past December and it was from 2010, can't remember the exact branding ( VT something or other)?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
zychi said:
So how is the 3d on this game? One of the few games I'd actually be interested in playing in 3d is SotC
Apparently, 3D is better realized in Ico than it is in SotC. Eurogamer editor was saying that 3D in SotC doesn't portray the gigantic-ness of the environment and colossi as well as it should have. It also adds a notable framerate hit to SotC, but remains steady in Ico.

I still really want to see both in 3D, but it'll have to wait until I get my hands on that 3D visor thing.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
this game....... THIS GAME... I'm getting more and more depressed as I slay thou colossus ... don't want this game to end :(((((((((((((((((

Davedough

Yoshichan said:
this game....... THIS GAME... I'm getting more and more depressed as I slay thou colossus ... don't want this game to end :(((((((((((((((((

My wife said she felt sorry for the Colossi. They were just minding their own business and I had to come along and make their heads bleed.

Davedough said:
My wife said she felt sorry for the Colossi. They were just minding their own business and I had to come along and make their heads bleed.
Haha, my wife always felt this way so last night she left the room and said "i don't like watching you kill them anyway" (she was leaving for another reason). 5 minutes later she walks back in and I point out the slain colossus falling but she said it's the stabbing that gets her.

Muskweeto

_dementia said:
you could have donated it to someone who may have bought it used without a box and manual

that's kinda wasteful
I actually recycle, saying trash just made it sound more hurtful.

I'm an anti pack-rat, I love it when I go to someone's house and see their collections proudly displayed, but I'll never be that kind of person.

PS. I knew I'd get comments on being wasteful before I posted that.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Ok, I'm stuck in ICO. I'm in the room where you
jump on a chandelier and cut it down, making it strike the bridge thing underneath it. Obviously I'm supposed to make that bridge crash down to the floor underneath it, but I just don't know how. I can light sticks on fire down there, so I thought maybe I should burn the bridge's "leg" off, but I can't seem to make that happen.
Yeah, stuck. :(

Any pointers (not the whole solution)?

(I know, I could just go to GameFAQS, but I really don't want to.)

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Incitemaybe said:
I have a 50" panasonic plasma, my room is pretty bright in the day, but even at night that same scene was next to pitch black. I have my blacks set to "light" on the set as well. I don't know, it's hard to find a balance.
The important question I think is, do you keep your PS3 settings on RGB Full or Limited. Don't use Full RGB, it just clips darker colors on almost every TV. The boat scene you mentioned is what prompted me to ask the question in the first place. In Eurogamer comparison video, it looked almost pitch-dark in remake video and normal looking in their PS2 capture.

dark10x said:
The blur used in ICO is basically the same as what was used on PS2, however.
Slightly changed I think, to eliminate some of the ghosting. I really love it btw, it adds to the otherworldly look of the game.

TheJollyCorner said:
my only disappointment with the themes is that they don't have specialty icons, too. :(
Be happy about it, 99 times out of 100 custom icons are just dialed-in crap.

GQman2121

Banned
TripOpt55 said:
I just played through the first colossus. I am quickly remembering why this may be my favorite game soundtrack.

The sound design itself is really quite brilliant. How the music changes depending on what you're doing is what makes everything so much more memorable.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
ChiefEdiri said:
If the games are that short, I'll just wait for the inevitable price drop to 30 dollars.

So you'd never buy a 15+ hour game for more than $30, no matter how brilliant those 15+ hours are?

Danielsan

RoadHazard said:
So you'd never buy a 15+ hour game for more than $30, no matter how brilliant those 15+ hours are?
Sad how some people still desperately care about quantity rather than quality.
$40 for two of the best games ever made. Not that hard of a decision people.

Seda

RoadHazard said:

I never buy games for more than $35 regardless. Vast majority of games take just 4-8 weeks to drop to that price.

Unless it's Nintendo first party.

EDIT: Oh didn't realize this was $40. I'm in...eventually.

Kioshen

RoadHazard said:
Ok, I'm stuck in ICO. I'm in the room where you
jump on a chandelier and cut it down, making it strike the bridge thing underneath it. Obviously I'm supposed to make that bridge crash down to the floor underneath it, but I just don't know how. I can light sticks on fire down there, so I thought maybe I should burn the bridge's "leg" off, but I can't seem to make that happen.
Yeah, stuck. :(

Any pointers (not the whole solution)?

(I know, I could just go to GameFAQS, but I really don't want to.)

Look for
bombs nearby ... not in the same room but reaaaally close. Only one is necessary.

Patapwn

I've been enjoying my Japanese LE (brag!). Did SoTC first because I have a theory it's really a prequel. Shadow of the Colossus is fucking amazing, one of the best games to ever be created. The ambition and execution trump (or at least stand toe to toe) with any game created this generation or generations past.

This is my first time playing Ico however. I played for 5 mins last night before demanding I go to bed. Had too much going on today and needed rest. I didn't want to play the game for an hour and then bail. I want to complete it in one setting. From the little time I did spend with it, I could tell it has class. The art alone elevates this 'once was' ps1 game to current gen (perhaps even beyond) levels.

Anyways, I can safely say these games have and will stand the test of time. TLG needs to come out soon...

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Anyone else switch X and Triangle in ICO the first thing you did? Jumping/climbing with Triangle just feels so wrong (and so does dropping from ledges with X).

Kioshen said:
Look for
bombs nearby ... not in the same room but reaaaally close. Only one is necessary.

Oh, that's what those are? Haha, I thought
they were pots or something useless like that
. Guess I didn't look at them too carefully. And I even read the manual, which mentions them, before I started playing. >_<

EDIT: Ok,
some are pots (?), some are bombs!

AEREC

GodDuckman said:
Out of curiosity, is anyone actually using the regular boxart and hasn't flipped it?

If so, what the HECK is wrong with you?

I keep going back and forth for some reason...the spine doesnt line up perfectly when I have the covers reveresed so it looks awkward.

I have it back to the normal ugly cover now...doesnt bother me too much though as I never see the covers on my bookshelf...and I leave it like that for when I sell it so I can buy the PSN versions (if they are ever released).

RoadHazard said:
Anyone else switch X and Triangle in ICO the first thing you did? Jumping/climbing with Triangle just feels so wrong (and so does dropping from ledges with X).

Oh, that's what those are? Haha, I thought
they were pots or something useless like that
. Guess I didn't look at them too carefully. And I even read the manual, which mentions them, before I started playing. >_<
I'm leaving the controls as is (including the original holding type). Its some kinda weird nostalgia for me to use different controls than what is the norm.

Muskweeto

Does it matter that I started playing Shadow of the Colossus before ICO?
I've never played either and I was in the mood to run around killing giant beasts.
Do the games connect in any way important?

Muskweeto said:
I've never played either and I was in the mood to run around killing giant beasts.
There is a connection but it doesn't matter which order you play them.

RBK

Banned
RoadHazard said:
I usually hold them off, only game I can remember in recent memory I bought Day 1 like that was MGS 4 and God of War 3. I also usually don't like to rush through the single player of games.

Muskweeto said:

That's a tough thing to answer without spoiling anything.

Personally I'd recommend everyone play ICO before Shadow of the Colossus.

ScOULaris

Muskweeto said:
Nah, you're fine. I always suggest that people play games in release order so you can see how a development team evolved over time (and how ideas transfer from one game to the next), but just play whichever you're more in the mood to play.

There is a moment in SotC that will have less impact if you don't play Ico first, though.

Muskweeto

_dementia said:
There is a connection but it doesn't matter which order you play them.
Oh good, thanks.

BTW, Shadow of the Colossus is amazing.
I can't wait to get home tonight and go after the third colossi.

EDIT: @scOULaris, hmm, oh well, I'll deal.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
infinityBCRT said:
I'm leaving the controls as is (including the original holding type). Its some kinda weird nostalgia for me to use different controls than what is the norm.

So the original hold type is the one where you press once to grab her hand, and again to let it go? That seems annoying to me (kind of like using toggle-type Z-targeting in Zelda games). Feels more natural to hold the button to hold her hand, and let the button go to let her hand go.

ultron87

Muskweeto said:

They are somewhat connected but it really isn't that big a deal.

They are both tremendous standalone games.

RBK

Banned
Danielsan said:
Sad how some people still desperately care about quantity rather than quality.
$40 for two of the best games ever made. Not that hard of a decision people.
Not really, gaming is a expensive hobby. Plus usually the games I buy have a MP component to it or have a really engaging and long story mode(20 hours or so minimum). If it has neither, I won't pick it up right away.

ChiefEdiri said:
Not really, gaming is a expensive hobby. Plus usually the games I buy have a MP component to it or have a really engaging and long story mode(20 hours or so minimum). If it has neither, I won't pick it up right away.

=/

Watching that Nico vid only made me think of Monster Hunter. Of course in Ueda's world, something along those lines would be otherworldy, surreal and so fucking mindblowing that Id probably have a heart attack before completion.

Davedough

ultron87 said:
I really hope he makes that game one day. I love SOTC, but doing it as a team would be even more amazing.
I don't know about the team aspect. One if my favorite things about shadows is the stark loneliness you feel as The Wanderer. I think a team would detract from that.

Top Bottom