• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The ICO and Shadow of the Colossus Collection |OT| Ueda *bow*

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
_dementia said:
And if you want the trophy, you'll do it under 2!

I can only imagine how enraging that would be. I'm playing at a totally normal pace and Yorda's pathfinding is unbearable. I had all day to play in 2001. I don't now. Do what I say, woman!

I pre-ordered it from Play-Asia.
Ah, gotcha.

Takuya said:
What bugs me about that one is...

That the 2 hours includes the ending cutscenes.... =(
Well, the world record is something like 1 hour and 40 minutes, right? If I can find a video of it, I'll probably copy everything the player does verbatim. Maybe I'll save every 30 mins so I don't lose too much progress if I fall behind.

Salaadin

hey_it's_that_dog said:
I can only imagine how enraging that would be. I'm playing at a totally normal pace and Yorda's pathfinding is unbearable. I had all day to play in 2001. I don't now. Do what I say, woman!

I dont have too many issues with here finding paths but I do notice that sometimes she will climb down a ladder, stop, and then start climbing back UP even though Im at the bottom. YORDA!! WHATRE YOU DOING!!!

Thoraxes

I would actually say the PS3 version, having played the game across PCSX2, the original PS2 release, and the PS3 version.

There's a smoothness to it that you won't find on the others, and some of the little details they touched up are pretty nice. They're really noticeable, to me anyways.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Hmm... I'll probably put these games in my backlog for awhile. I have to finish CVX first (and probably Suikoden 5). Although I'll platinum Ico first before moving on to the epic SotC.

AEREC

Nocturnowl said:
I've only done 2 Colossi so far on this version but the shaking doesn't seem too much different to the PAL PS2 version, though it has been a while so maybe I just don't remember.

First time playing Ico, what's the average length of the game out of interest?

6 hours 9 minutes was my final time, and I only got stuck in two places for around 20 minutes.

Razgreez

Salaadin said:
I dont have too many issues with here finding paths but I do notice that sometimes she will climb down a ladder, stop, and then start climbing back UP even though Im at the bottom. YORDA!! WHATRE YOU DOING!!!

(insert mysogynist statement here). I'm married though so to me it's natural :D

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
amrod said:
So which would look better... The ps3 version or one running on a PCSX2?
In case of Ico, PS3 remake is 100% way to go for the reasons dark10 mentioned. Low res assets are redone, proper widescreen, 7.1 surround, all effects emulated correctly (I'm pretty sure PCSX2 is still missing a hugely important full screen effect in Ico), added 3D, reduced ghosting effect in motion blur.

In case of SotC, you can get it to run in higher resolution in PCSX2, on PS3 remake you're best off with 720p. However, they've added better motion blur, more precise bloom, touched up some assets again, and added 7.1 surround and 3D support here as well.

You'd also have to run these in an insane 'internal resolution' on PCSX2 to eliminate texture shimmer the way it's eliminated in these remakes. Not sure if it would even be possible to go high enough. I could never eliminate it as much as I wanted no matter how high res I tried. I also never had luck getting proper sound out of PCSX2 in these games. There was always some sound effect delay or echo or something glitchy about it.

gunbo13 said:
I'm pretty sure PCSX2 doesn't let you use real widescreen mode for games that don't support it natively. In this case Ico doesn't, but SotC does (albeit with deformed HUD)

Salaadin

Einbroch said:
So, SotC is like 1000x more enjoyable than Ico. Just finished the 5th Colossi. Good Lord that was epic.

#5 was just...wow. My favorite fight in the game but that doesnt mean much because they are all great.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Salaadin said:

A couple times I've called her and she started running the opposite direction first. Basically the lesson is never let go of her if you don't have to, but sometimes I want to explore the area unencumbered.

Einbroch

Banned
7th is pretty sweet too. Pretty much all the non-traditional ones are pretty freaking awesome. I hate
underwater monsters, they scare the heck out of me
and this one was no different.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
runlikehell said:
Holy fuckballs, 5th colossus.
Yep. The particle effects they use
in the air
is this-gen quality. And please don't tell me I'm exaggerating, I'm dead serious.

Syn23

I've just finished ICO. I've got the shivers.
Great atmosphere, great level design, great game.

I think tomorrow I'll play it again, to
understand what Yorda says,
meanwhile going for trophies, before moving to Shadow of the Colossus.

A silly question about the story and three about trophies, if somebody knows:
What happens if you don't jump back towards Yorda when the bridge opens? Do you get a simple game over or something more fancy?
I missed the "save everywhere you can" trophy. Is there somewhere to save after you are separated from Yorda? I'm pretty sure I saved on every couch.
For the "finish the game without dying", if I die is ok if I return to the title screen and reload?
Also, for all the trophies it doesn't matter if I start a "new game+", right?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
alr1ghtstart said:
added some noob tips in the OP.
Very nice tips for the starters :)!

Holy SHIT when you load up SOTC for the first time and the gameplay starts with that close camera shot of you and the girl.. just amazing, i was actually shocked at how good it looked.

Yoshichan

Fix The Scientist said:
Holy SHIT when you load up SOTC for the first time and the gameplay starts with that close camera shot of you and the girl.. just amazing, i was actually shocked at how good it looked.
And when he takes the blanket and throws it away, perfectly timed with the music, in slow-motion. Fucking perfect.

Encountered my first obnoxious Ico glitch.

I was just about to complete the Gondola area when a shadow grabbed Yorda. I prepare to chase it to it's portal, but it just flies up in the air and stays there. I try running around, yelling, trying to grab it's attention, but it just stays up in the air. Had to commit suicide to continue. Made me repeat that whole area over again, though at a much quicker pace.

Deified Data said:
Encountered my first obnoxious Ico glitch.

I was just about to complete the Gondola area when a shadow grabbed Yorda. I prepare to chase it to it's portal, but it just flies up in the air and stays there. I try running around, yelling, trying to grab it's attention, but it just stays up in the air. Had to commit suicide to continue. Made me repeat that whole area over again, though at a much quicker pace.
Ugh. Fix this shit Ueda!

Muffdraul

Syn23 said:
A silly question about the story and three about trophies, if somebody knows:
I missed the "save everywhere you can" trophy. Is there somewhere to save after you are separated from Yorda? I'm pretty sure I saved on every couch.

There are no couches after you split up and you can't save without her on the couch with you, so that's not it. There are definitely a couple of couches that are relatively easy to miss because they're a bit out of the way, not on the path forward. I'd say one of them is in the area with the big windmill with the awesome little water pool, but that one isn't all that hard to miss. There's another on in the waterfall area. There might be one more, can't remember...

Zoibie

About 2 hours in to Ico, just got past the windmill and I'm really liking it so far. I already know I'll be replaying this multiple times; the sense of place is just amazing, especially in the more grassy areas where the contrast is really quite beautiful. Combat feels a bit laborious but it breaks up the puzzles I guess and I think I've found the right technique.

Just found out that shadows only attack from the opposite direction you're facing. Usually if you turn to stare one down, he'll retreat and try again. It's a good way of crowd control in tight spots. Just run around in circles, swatting at them.

KingK

Salaadin said:
I've noticed that if you're standing directly at the bottom of the ladder, she'll either stop moving or go back up. You need to move out of her way, away from the ladder, and she'll finish going all the way down.

ScOULaris

Okay, I'm officially PISSED OFF right now. I just completed the HD Collection version of Ico, and they changed the fucking ending! I don't know if this is how it always was in the PAL version (which is what this incarnation is based on), but the U.S. ending is so much better. The differences are subtle, but important. See below for more explanation:

Here is the link for the original U.S. ending:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbbG8M8Hzqg

In the HD Collection version, the ending is shortened and the music has been changed. The song that plays as the castle begins to crumble in the U.S. version is cut short in this version, and "You Were There" starts playing instead. It also cuts right from Yorda holding Ico in the tomb area to putting him in the boat, as opposed to showing her riding down the elevator with him as the more ominous original music track plays.

Watch the U.S. ending and tell me that it's not put together better. Why did this happen? WHY!?

W1SSY

Two and a half hours into Ico and just got the sword. Probably going to take a break for awhile and then continue. One question I have is do the shadows randomly spawn when you leave Yorda? I have had a couple times in which I leave to do a puzzle and then she gets attacked and I lose.

Overall I am enjoying almost everything but the combat. The combat is bad IMO. It is just so repetitive that it gets old real fast and most of the time I am hoping I can just pull Yorda to one of the doors to kill all the shadows without actually fighting.

ScOULaris

Okay, so I finally found a video of the PAL ending, and it looks like it was already slightly different from the U.S. ending to begin with.

Here's the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGdcfcYrL4I

Compare it to the U.S. link that I posted above. I was wrong about them cutting out a scene, but the music does indeed switch over earlier in the PAL ending.

I guess I was freaking out over nothing, but I do prefer the U.S. edit of the ending.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Ok, this part of ICO is driving me freaking crazy:

I'm in the room where you're supposed to time your jump on a springy thing that keep shooting up from a hole in the floor. Can't do it.

This is the first time I've felt that my progression is being hindered by bad game design rather than me making a mistake or not figuring out a solution.

EDIT: Did it 10 seconds after writing this post. :D

I had to press the button much sooner than I thought.

Einbroch

Banned
RoadHazard said:
Ok, this part of ICO is driving me freaking crazy:

I'm in the room where you're supposed to time your jump on a springy thing that keep shooting up from a hole in the floor. Can't do it.

This is the first time I've felt that my progression is being hindered by bad game design rather than me making a mistake or not figuring out a solution.
Hold jump just as it goes down. You should see your legs bend at the same time the thing goes down.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Einbroch said:
Hold jump just as it goes down. You should see your legs bend at the same time the thing goes down.

Yeah, I just made it. But still, that stood out as poorer-than-usual (for this great game) game design to me. It sure didn't feel (or look) like I was supposed to press the button that early.

Syn23

Muffdraul said:
There are no couches after you split up and you can't save without her on the couch with you, so that's not it. There are definitely a couple of couches that are relatively easy to miss because they're a bit out of the way, not on the path forward. I'd say one of them is in the area with the big windmill with the awesome little water pool, but that one isn't all that hard to miss. There's another on in the waterfall area. There might be one more, can't remember...

Thanks, I think I've missed the second one you mentioned.

Yoshichan said:
Yep. The particle effects they use
in the air
is this-gen quality. And please don't tell me I'm exaggerating, I'm dead serious.

Speaking of those, I don't remember them from the PS2 version. Are they new?

5th Colossus is definitely a highlight. I fell off so many times, but jumping back on to it was always an incredible rush.

Yoshichan

MrCookiepants said:
Speaking of those, I don't remember them from the PS2 version. Are they new?

5th Colossus is definitely a highlight. I fell off so many times, but jumping back on to it was always an incredible rush.
Nah it's there. It just looks slightly off because the framerate goes under 15 at that point.

I warn you though, this is PS2 footage. Your eyes might just bleed if you watch this.

Colossus #5 spoilers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2dMnc-B1Xs

4:52

RoadHazard said:
Yeah, I just made it. But still, that stood out as poorer-than-usual (for this great game) game design to me. It sure didn't feel (or look) like I was supposed to press the button that early.
I've heard a few complaints about that, notably in the Game Informer review. Apparently this piston jump is different between US and PAL versions. Anyone remmeber what it was like in the original?

ScOULaris said:
Okay, so I finally found a video of the PAL ending, and it looks like it was already slightly different from the U.S. ending to begin with.

Here's the video:

Compare it to the U.S. link that I posted above. I was wrong about them cutting out a scene, but the music does indeed switch over earlier in the PAL ending.

I guess I was freaking out over nothing, but I do prefer the U.S. edit of the ending.
This is weird... I'm sure the copy I played was a PAL, but I remember it playing out more like the US version you linked.

You're right, the US edit is better!

jett

D-Member
ScOULaris said:

Here's the video:

The credits sequence is completely different in the european edition, what's up with that.

Interesting to see a straight comparison of console and emulated versions too, the emulator is missing a lot of visual effects.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Deified Data said:
I've heard a few complaints about that, notably in the Game Informer review. Apparently this piston jump is different between US and PAL versions. Anyone remmeber what it was like in the original?

The part right after that (
jumping up on, and then from, the water wheel
) was also a little tricky in a somewhat annoying way. Took me quite a few tries to get it right. And not because I suck, but because the game's jumping mechanics weren't really made for such acrobatics (I feel). But ah, the game has mostly been great other than that, so I'm not gonna complain too much! It's just a bit surprising that two such things happen within minutes of each other, since nothing had annoyed me like that up to that point.

RoadHazard said:
The part right after that (
jumping up on, and then from, the water wheel
) was also a little tricky in a somewhat annoying way. Took me quite a few tries to get it right. And not because I suck, but because the game's jumping mechanics weren't really made for such acrobatics (I feel). But ah, the game has mostly been great other than that, so I'm not gonna complain too much! It's just a bit surprising that two such things happen within minutes of each other, while nothing had annoyed me like that up to that point.
Agreed. That part was definitely a pain. The worst part of Ico is knowing how to solve a platforming puzzle, but being unable to perform the platforming necessary to do so.
The issue with the water wheel is that it dumps you before you get the chance to set up a reliable jump to the handle above. All you can really do is keep making attempts and hope you make it.

patsu said:
What full pixel mode ?
Fills the entire screen with Ico, as opposed to the "picture box" style.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Deified Data said:
Agreed. That part was definitely a pain. The worst part of Ico is knowing how to solve a platforming puzzle, but being unable to perform the platforming necessary to do so.
The issue with the water wheel is that it dumps you before you get the chance to set up a reliable jump to the handle above. All you can really do is keep making attempts and hope you make it.

Exactly. It makes you feel like what you're trying might be wrong, even though it's actually the correct solution. Not great gameplay/puzzle design. But these are just small blemishes on an otherwise great experience so far.

Yoshichan

TouchMyBox said:
Hmm, I just rage-quit on one of my favourite games of all time. Last time I was so angry at a game was in 2006.
... why?

Yoshichan said:

Third Colossus, got up to his head, stabbed away, fell off, got back up stabbed away until his head was done, fell off again, and then tried to climb up the guy six times after that and kept falling off each time. Doing this knowing that I've kicked this guy's ass several times before in mere minutes and the fact that he's only 20 minutes into the game got me quite riled up.

Yoshichan

TouchMyBox said:
Third Colossus, got up to his head, stabbed away, fell off, got back up stabbed away until his head was done, fell off again, and then tried to climb up the guy six times after that and kept falling off each time. Doing this knowing that I've kicked this guy's ass several times before in mere minutes and the fact that he's only 20 minutes into the game got me quite riled up.
:( Gaius is my favorite colossus... why'd you keep falling? You're on his head, right? You've got full control by that point. Don't over-commit yourself; stab once and go to his shoulder and regenerate all of that stamina. Repeat process, should be done in less than 5 minutes!

Teknoman

Deified Data said:

Fills the entire screen with Ico, as opposed to the "picture box" style.

Yeah does the same with SotC too. Man playing this game with a locked/stable framerate + other upgrades is like night and day vs the PS2 version. Same with ICO.

Also makes you realize just how powerful the sound effects in both games are.

Top Bottom