• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The ICO and Shadow of the Colossus Collection |OT| Ueda *bow*

Cartman86

Banned
Darkgran said:
Is it just me or are the camera controls inverted when they say they are normal in SOTC?

Yeah it's one of those weird PS2 era things. I was able to get used to because so many games did their cameras differently. I remember going back and forth between Okami and Final Fantasy XII and it taking a couple minutes to get used to it.

Darkgran

Cartman86 said:
Yeah it's one of those weird PS2 era things. I was able to get used to because so many games did their cameras differently. I remember going back and forth between Okami and Final Fantasy XII and it taking a couple minutes to get used to it.

Ok...good. I thought I was loosing my mind there for a second. Thanks.

FUCK YOU GAIUS! Y u do this to me?!

Goddam, took me 15 minutes just to stab the spot on his stomach -- I never had problems with him on PS2 but he would not stop shaking enough for me to even attempt to stab.

Also, LOL at the slow-mo during the killing stab; I never noticed it on PS2. :p

grkazan12

Just beat Ico at about 4 Hours and it was such an excellent game and experience. Simple game design that was challenging and satisfying at the same time. Besides the minor A.I. issues, I really loved the connection between Ico and Yorda. The design of the castle and the sound was natural and breathtaking.

Hopefully first of many *bows* to Team Ico/Japan Studio.

On to Shadow of the Colossus.

Erigu

Evolved1 said:
You lack imagination and any appreciation for "less is more" minimalist storytelling.
I seem to remember Ueda saying that naming the characters was among the last things he'd do. There's not much of a point, after all. It's a young man and his horse. And he wants to revive the girl.

Thoraxes

Man you guys (and Digitalfoundry) were right. SotC looks much better in 720p than 1080p.
The difference is definitely noticeable.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
corrosivefrost said:
Anyone with the LE want to scan that fold out in high res for me? It'd make for a great custom cover. ;)

What's in the foldout?

Also, do all versions come with a code for two themes and exclusive behind the scenes videos?

AiTM

Banned
Playing Ico for the first time ever tomorrow when it comes in. I beat Sotc back in 2005. Any tips on playing Ico? I usually hate protection missions in games where you guard a NPC, so I'm a little worried. But excited for it nonetheless.

Danielsan

evilhomer said:
Just beat Colussus 13 for the first time in HD...it was beautiful...
The 13th colossus is one of my greatest holy fucking shit moments of all time.
I punctured its air sacks and saw it losing height. Then I realized I had to run up to its wings with Agro and jump across. I actually succeeded in one flawless jump. Then the music swelled as the creature took me up in the air.
. God damn what a moment.

GQman2121

Banned
Just finished Ico for the first time (6hrs, 1min) in about nine years. I got stuck more than a few times, but managed to eventually figure everything out without too much of a problem. Its still as great as I remember and there were more than a few instances where the game really looked amazing. They did a wonderful job.

-I just realized when you're on the bridge with Yorda, that if you walk and don't run while holding her hand, she won't collapse from exhaustion before the cutscene hits. I thought that was a nice little touch.

-Wow does the game look extra amazing after you wash up on the beach. I don't know if it's because the final act is so dark and gloomy or what, but once you get out of the boat, the red in Ico's shirt just pops off the white sand and the beautiful art just shine through. The waves crashing on to the beach look excellent as well.

-Even with everything fresh in my mind, I can't see myself beating this again in under 2 hours for that gold Trophy. That's really, really going to be a challenge I think.

evilhomer

AiTM said:
Playing Ico for the first time ever tomorrow when it comes in. I beat Sotc back in 2005. Any tips on playing Ico? I usually hate protection missions in games where you guard a NPC, so I'm a little worried. But excited for it nonetheless.
Dont worry too much about it, its easy enough to get her out of a hole and you have plenty of time to do it.

forrest

formerly nacire
After my first play session of Colossus and Ico (couldn't wait to see them both!) I have to say they both turned out great thus far. Holy shit SotC looks fuck all amazing in motion. I would have loved to see some of the environment textures reworked, but I'm sure that would have been a massive undertaking and another factor on the performance.

Team Ico continues to blow me away, can't wait for TLG!

SparkTR

Ico is just as awesome as I remember, probably even more so. I've read people complain about it being overrated on various forums and I cannot see where they're coming from, maybe you have to be in a certain state of mind to appreciate it to its fullest?

Bebpo

Banned
SparkTR said:
Ico is just as awesome as I remember, probably even more so. I've read people complain about it being overrated on various forums and I cannot see where they're coming from, maybe you have to be in a certain state of mind to appreciate it to its fullest?

Agreed. I'm about 3-4 hours in and it's holding up incredibly well. Still one of the best puzzle platformers I've ever played. Everything feels just right.

evilhomer

Danielsan said:
The 13th colossus is one of my greatest holy fucking shit moments of all time.
I punctured its air sacks and saw it losing height. Then I realized I had to run up to its wings with Agro and jump across. I actually succeeded in one flawless jump. Then the music swelled as the creature took me up in the air.
. God damn what a moment.
Ya it really is amazing the first time when you put it together and realize what you have to do, love that one.

The next Colussus is still a dick...

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Just played Ico for about 1.5hrs for the first time ever, currently up to the Main Gate save spot. I know it's not the same, but when you first start and you
meet those shadow creatures for the first time
it reminded me of the PS1 game Heart of Darkness.

I am about to try SotC for the first time now. Feels good knowing these are two high quality games with beautiful art direction that I am experiencing for the first time as I never owned a PS2.

There are a couple of other titles I hope get the HD treatment from the PS2 era but I doubt they'd happen. Okami being one of them.

Just finished off the 13th Colossus (
sand dragon thing
), still really love this battle. This and the 3rd Colossus are probably my favourites (just love the design of the third and the area in which you fight it in). I spent most of the time today just exploring and hunting fruits, etc. though (finally maxed HP :)), so I only managed to defeat one Colossus today. Too bad I still cannot climb to the top of the tower, can now go high enough to fall to my death but not high enough to go all the way up for the first section of the climb.

DeVeAn

So, 1080p is stretched? What the heck I thought it was like drop to 28 fps that I could live with. Damnit I am playing it wrong lol.

Actually I have a question in regards to full pixel mode. What exactly does that do? I noticed it made my HUD slightly wider but that's about it. Is it only useful if one is running on a 1080p TV in 1080p? I am running it on 1080i.

DeVeAn

Leshita said:
Actually I have a question in regards to full pixel mode. What exactly does that do? I noticed it made my HUD slightly wider but that's about it. Is it only useful if one is running on a 1080p TV in 1080p? I am running it on 1080i.
Well what I noticed is on a 1080 set it fills the screen, versus having a black frame around it. In 720 you actually cut off some of the picture.

DeVeAn said:
Well what I noticed is on a 1080 set it fills the screen, versus having a black frame around it. In 720 you actually cut off some of the picture.

Ah, thanks. I should turn it off then, guess it's only for people with the black frame around the image.

Abylim

Baw!
Picked up my copy today, (lovin it btw) went to enter my code for my freebies on psn, and it tells me my code is already used. Stupid Australian EB with the goddamn opened cases.

Now I have to go in there tomorrow, deal with the huffy high and mighty bitch behind the counter and see if I can get this fixed(the people at this EB are ridiculously bitchy. maybe someone pisses in the water, who knows)

Good news though, never played either of these games, and i instantly fell in love with Ico. I love the hand holding, the heart beat in the controller (I assume its a heart beat) and the music. So far so good, Gaf! I was abit jaded after the whole sacred2 fiasco, but totally redeemed!
/end rant

EDIT: just read a few posts above mine... the codes are invalid? Why?
Sorry for doubting your employees EB, I'll continue to wonder why you're all so grumpy though.

Dachande

Got my PAL copy from Shopto today. Really grateful for the reversable cover, it looks wonderful. Shame about the cack manual, but it doesn't matter a great deal as no one will use it.

So how bad is the 1080p mode in SotC? In terms of image quality due to the stretched pixels, and in terms of framerate?

And if it's noticeably worse than 720p, why does it activate 720p by default? Plenty of games on PS3 switch to 720p without having to disable the 1080 options in the XMB...

f@luS

More than a member.
Pazuzu9 said:
So how bad is the 1080p mode in SotC? In terms of image quality due to the stretched pixels, and in terms of framerate?

And if it's noticeably worse than 720p, why does it activate 720p by default? Plenty of games on PS3 switch to 720p without having to disable the 1080 options in the XMB...

i tried both

coz i need to go back in XMB to change , i tend to forget how it looks from one to another
more or less the same. Im sure i would spot difference side to side but im fine with 1080

gdt

In Ico, I just met the black shadow lady for the first time. I
lit the torches, cutscene staring at the big gate, what do I do now?

evilhomer

gdt5016 said:
In Ico, I just met the black shadow lady for the first time. I
lit the torches, cutscene staring at the big gate, what do I do now?
go back to the courtyard and there will be a doorway you can use a bomb on

bodine1231

Just played SOTC for the first time (skipped it during PS2 era) and I have to say,the controls and camera are AWFUL. I was expecting tight,Zelda like controls but instead it feels like I'm fighting the camera and horse more than the colossi. I'll give it another shot tonight but so far I'm not believing the hype.

Takuya

Banned
bodine1231 said:
Just played SOTC for the first time (skipped it during PS2 era) and I have to say,the controls and camera are AWFUL. I was expecting tight,Zelda like controls but instead it feels like I'm fighting the camera and horse more than the colossi. I'll give it another shot tonight but so far I'm not believing the hype.
The limited camera control is intended. You're not supposed to be able to 'freely look around'. I've just finished ICO and played for the first time ever and even I could figure that one out.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
bodine1231 said:

Game didn't click for me (on a mechanical level) until I reconfigured the controls.

I can't recall what they were, but they made the game less frustrating. Especially riding Agro and doing some of the more complex, layered actions.

I'd say play for a bit to get a feel for the mechanics of the game, and then go into the configuration and tinker with it... you know based on what you think makes the most sense... you might get lucky like I did. After I had a config I felt comfortable with, it really improved my enjoyment of the game and I wondered why it wasn't the default. There are better configurations that the default, you just have to mess around with it.

edit: I remember after the adjustment I could hold X in tight wooded areas and that kept the camera fixed right behind Agro... way less janky. Only specific I can recall though.

sublimit

Banned
bangladesh said:
OH MY FUCK. THANK YOU. THANK YOU SO MUCH.

I have been looking for that first track for literally 5 years. You have made my day. :)

WOW. Really. I thought this track was lost in time for good. ls;afagkla;skdl;fkd;l
Glad i helped.:)
Btw just in case you didn't know you can download all of them at OCremix's official site.

Also damn,amazon.uk still hasn't dispatched my copy.>:[

bodine1231

Evolved1 said:
Game didn't click for me (on a mechanical level) until I reconfigured the controls.

I can't recall what they were, but they made the game less frustrating. Especially riding Agro and doing some of the more complex, layered actions.

I'd say play for a bit to get a feel for the mechanics of the game, and then go into the configuration and tinker with it... you know based on what you think makes the most sense... you might get lucky like I did. After I had a config I felt comfortable with, it really improved my enjoyment of the game and I wondered why it wasn't the default. There are better configurations that the default, you just have to mess around with it.

edit: I remember after the adjustment I could hold X in tight wooded areas and that kept the camera fixed right behind Agro... way less janky. Only specific I can recall though.

I'll give it a shot. I bought the game so I'm definitely not gonna give up on it that easily. It just didn't leave a good first impression on me,especially the horse controls.

Spwn

Got my Amazon order dispatched -notification an hour ago so looking forward to play Ico for the first time next week.

Top Bottom