• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The ICO and Shadow of the Colossus Collection |OT| Ueda *bow*

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
OK, so I know "You Were There" is a fan favorite song when it comes to Ico, but who else vastly prefers the mandolin theme, that's another prominent song in the game, the one that has no vocals? I know I do.

What's the option to "not adjust camera while climbing" in SotC?

Syn23

ICO, about 5 hours in, minor spoilers:
I'm in a room with a wooden piston. I can't reach the ledge. What am I missing?
Edit: just to clarify, I've already activated it.

maskrider

Syn23 said:

Jump when the piston is about to go up, timing is key

ced

Holy hell I don't know how I finished SOTC back when it released for PS2. I'm 3 in and I feel like I have fought the camera more than the colossi, and damn that constant shaking is not fun.

ICO is as great as I remember at least.

Syn23 said:

You have to time a jump. Do it when the piston is moving down right before it launches you.

I'm stuck on the part directly after that. The
water wheel
. This is a fucking nightmare. I must be doing something wrong. I've tried this jump dozens of times and I can't do it. I CAN'T. HALP!

Edit. Did it. Now planning a second a second playthrough in NEVER.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
ced said:
Holy hell I don't know how I finished SOTC back when it released for PS2. I'm 3 in and I feel like I have fought the camera more than the colossi, and damn that constant shaking is not fun.

ICO is as great as I remember at least.
The option I mentioned in the previous post, might be something newly added that makes it so you don't have to 'fight' the camera while climbing the colossus. I enjoyed the automatic camera changing while climbing though.

Salaadin

I beat ICO last night. Every bit as good as the first time.

In my mind, ICO is still the greatest game I ever played and the only game to ever come close to it would be SOTC. Nothing out there can get this kind of emotional response from me. I literally sat there in awe all over again as though it was something I was witnessing for the first time. Its pretty remarkable.

Im very happy that the HD version used the original European release as its template. There were many little touches here and there and small changes that made the game feel more complete this time around. I also appreciated the minor puzzle changes as well.

Salaadin said:
Im very happy that the HD version used the original European release as its template. There were many little touches here and there and small changes that made the game feel more complete this time around. I also appreciated the minor puzzle changes as well.

Can anyone elaborate on the main differences between versions? I think the EU version features the
watermelon ending
as well as the
lightsaber
, but I don't know about anything else.

Salaadin

Philanthropist said:
Can anyone elaborate on the main differences between versions? I think the EU version features the
watermelon ending
as well as the
lightsaber

Im pretty sure that Yorda didnt talk during the game at all in the US version. She will now react to a big jump and yell out to you when youre far away. She also does a little to help you if you are stuck a puzzle by doing things like calling out and pointing to a switch. Im not sure if this was added for the HD versions or if it was in the European release. I dont recall any of it from 10 years ago though.

I caught at least one puzzle change
in the waterfall area. You make your way up and around to the area where the water is being pumped from. Climb a ladder and you have to shimmy across some pipes.
In the US release, the pipes went all the way around to a window that you had to get to.
In the EU version, the pipes broke off a section and a switch was added. You have to hit the switch to start a pump mechanism thing and then stand on the pump and time your jump on it to get a good boost to grab another ledge., and then climb up the window.

I also do not recall the water wheel in the US release. Im pretty sure that the ladder to the right of the wheel wasnt broken and we were able to just climb up. Now, we have to jump onto the spinning wheel and then onto a ledge

Other changes include
Yordas voice being translated on a second play through, the watermelon scene, a second player can control Yorda (unlocked after you beat it), and the light saber

GQman2121

Banned
Philanthropist said:
watermelon ending
as well as the
lightsaber
Water wheel section is different than the original NA game.

forrest

formerly nacire
DeVeAn said:
Well what I noticed is on a 1080 set it fills the screen, versus having a black frame around it. In 720 you actually cut off some of the picture.

The game renders out at 720 and upscales to 1080. There is no reason you should be losing any picture at 720 if your game and tv are set to "full pixel". 1080 looks fine, but I did find it wasn't quite as sharp as 720 on a display with these settings as 720 is matching pixel for pixel with the display. The UI and text are visibly crisper and probably the first thing you will notice.

But like others have said, you need to disable 1080 in your PS3 settings as this game does not default to 720.

Erigu

Salaadin said:
Im pretty sure that Yorda didnt talk during the game at all in the US version. She will now react to a big jump and yell out to you when youre far away. She also does a little to help you if you are stuck a puzzle by doing things like calling out and pointing to a switch. Im not sure if this was added for the HD versions or if it was in the European release.
That was in the Japanese and PAL releases.

Other changes include
Yordas voice being translated on a second play through, the watermelon scene, a second player can control Yorda (unlocked after you beat it), and the light saber
Image filter options for that second playthrough, too. I'm not sure that was in the US version. In fact, could you save at all at the end of your first playthrough, in the US version?
And I don't think Yorda's hair changed before the bridge, in the US version...

Phatcorns

Just beat Shadow on normal. This is like my 4th time beating it, took 6 hours.

I got the Resistance trophy, but it didn't feel like I should have. But just FYI, I don't think you need to beat it twice or anything like that to get it.

Two questions:

1. Did the song
Swift Horse
always play when it tells you you've unlocked Hard mode and time attack?

2. So if I beat the game on normal and then do time attack on that same save file, how do I transfer the items I get from that to a Hard mode save file? Or is that not possible?

I beat the game like 3 times on the original before I even realized I wasn't on hard mode.

KingK

Lord Error said:
OK, so I know "You Were There" is a fan favorite song when it comes to Ico, but who else vastly prefers the mandolin theme, that's another prominent song in the game, the one that has no vocals? I know I do.

Yeah, I very much prefer that song as well. Castle in the Mist

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Phatcorns said:
Just beat Shadow on normal. This is like my 4th time beating it, took 6 hours.

I got the Resistance trophy, but it didn't feel like I should have. But just FYI, I don't think you need to beat it twice or anything like that to get it.

Two questions:

1. Did the song
Swift Horse
always play when it tells you you've unlocked Hard mode and time attack?

2. So if I beat the game on normal and then do time attack on that same save file, how do I transfer the items I get from that to a Hard mode save file? Or is that not possible?

I beat the game like 3 times on the original before I even realized I wasn't on hard mode.
6 hours? Dang, that is pretty short. At least it comes with ICO

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
nacire said:
The game renders out at 720 and upscales to 1080. There is no reason you should be losing any picture at 720 if your game and tv are set to "full pixel". 1080 looks fine, but I did find it wasn't quite as sharp as 720 on a display with these settings as 720 is matching pixel for pixel with the display. The UI and text are visibly crisper and probably the first thing you will notice.

But like others have said, you need to disable 1080 in your PS3 settings as this game does not default to 720.

Digital Foundry says SOTC renders at 960x1080 and scales it for 1080p.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Lord Error said:

I like the mandolin instrumental much better. I actually didn't even remember "You were there" until the Ico hype train started rolling again. I generally prefer instrumental music in games.

mbmonk

I am loving Ico so far. I am only two hours or so in. The "Love seat of Saving" seems a bit out of place w/ the rest of the environment and atmosphere, but that is a very minor gripe.

Also I got stuck on a section because I didn't know you could
swing on chains
. So things like that can be slightly frustrating.

The fact that you are somewhat attached physically to the girl has worked on me so far. I really feel connected to her and that in turn makes me feel responsible for her safety.

We will see how the rest of the game shakes out but I am LOVING it so far. So glad they released this on the PS3.

I will move to SotC after I have my fill with Ico.

shawnlreed

Phatcorns said:
So if I beat the game on normal and then do time attack on that same save file, how do I transfer the items I get from that to a Hard mode save file? Or is that not possible?

Items you get for beating normal time attack cannot be transfered to the hard mode save file.
It would be cool to have all 16 items at once, but no dice.

Phatcorns

kayos90 said:
6 hours? Dang, that is pretty short. At least it comes with ICO

Keep in mind I've played this game many times, my first playthrough ever was 12 hours. Once you know how to beat the bosses, it takes significantly less time.

anddo0

This game does not play well with full rgb and full pixel at all. I know there is a full pixel option. I got that to work fine. The full rgb however looked terrible. I know my tv supports it (sony bravia kdl 46xbr2) been playing this way for since 06. But for whatever reason ICO is extremely dark. During the intro I couldn't see anything. I had to set my PS3 to limited in order to get full detail back.

forrest

formerly nacire
hey_it's_that_dog said:
Digital Foundry says SOTC renders at 960x1080 and scales it for 1080p.

Hmm, does forcing it to 720 make the game render at 720? I can't imagine scaling 960x1080 down to 720 would give me the results I'm seeing at 720.

anddo0 said:
This game does not play well with full rgb and full pixel at all. I know there is a full pixel option. I got that to work fine. The full rgb however looked terrible. I know my tv supports it (sony bravia kdl 46xbr2) been playing this way for since 06. But for whatever reason ICO is extremely dark. During the intro I couldn't see anything. I had to set my PS3 to limited in order to get full detail back.

I had to turn up my Sony's brightness from 50 to about 65 to get the results I wanted from Ico. No amount of fiddling with settings gave me the same result. Everything else was way to dark with squashed blacks.

Bebpo

Banned
anddo0 said:

This is true.

I actually think the full RGB makes the game look REALLY GOOD...except when you're in darkly non-lit areas.

I've gotten stuck at two parts so far because I couldn't even SEE there was a switch or doorway until I youtube'd the section after 20 mins of confusion to see there was a hallway in that pure blackness.

For example the part in the east tower:
When you first enter in after you save at the couch you need to go through a hallway across from the couch and below the stairs. However that entire corner below the stairs is PITCH BLACK on my calibrated set even with the brightness maxed. Impossible to see the entrance unless you know it's there.

Really my only complaint about the HD upgrade. They should have actually changed the game "slightly" by adding a torch to light up a few of these problem areas enough to at least see.

Sir Ilpalazzo said:
I heard that they bumped up the difficulty in SotC by making Wanderer a lot easier to shake around while climbing (and with some other changes). Is this really true?
Maybe most people are used to having maxed out grip meters and forgot what it was like starting from scratch.

forrest

formerly nacire
Sir Ilpalazzo said:
I heard that they bumped up the difficulty in SotC by making Wanderer a lot easier to shake around while climbing (and with some other changes). Is this really true?

From the bonus vids, they make it sound like they didn't change anything in terms of game mechanics.

yggdrasil

Phatcorns said:
Keep in mind I've played this game many times, my first playthrough ever was 12 hours. Once you know how to beat the bosses, it takes significantly less time.

Perhaps you can answer my question. Some pages ago I asked what the optimal playthrough order was to get all the items and get to the top of the Secret Garden. Is it the following?

1. Normal
2. Hard
3. Normal + TA
4. Hard + TA

How many lizards do you need per playthrough?

Davedough

Sir Ilpalazzo said:
I heard that they bumped up / broke the difficulty in SotC by making Wanderer a lot easier to shake around while climbing (and with some other changes). Is this really true?

This is where I heard it from.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/998181-the-ico-and-shadow-of-the-colossus-collection/60453589

It feels exactly like the original in terms of Wanderer difficulty to me. He starts off with limited grip but a few lizard tails later and he'll be holding on like a champ.

forrest

formerly nacire
Here is the quote from digital foundry in regards to SotC and it's resolution support.

"Despite official word from Sony that both HD remasters support "full 1080p HD resolution for a stunning, razor-sharp presentation", Shadow of the Colossus appears to have some issues with fill-rate, resulting in the game supporting native 720p and an upscaled 1080p that sees a base 960x1080 resolution upscaled horizontally, resulting in obviously rectangular pixels.

This gives a 12.5 per cent resolution advantage to the "1080p mode", but the fat pixels may be more distracting to the eye than letting your display simply upscale the normal 720p output.

Again, MLAA is supported on all modes - fine for 720p and 3D - but not so good on the scaled 1080p mode. As pixels are being expanded horizontally by 100 per cent, the sub-pixel crawling issues we sometimes see with MLAA are amplified somewhat. The standard 720p output is our choice for the best balance of picture quality and performance"

Source

I recommend setting the game and tv to "full pixel" and checking out both so you can make the decision for yourself. I will say I prefer the 720p as it's just sharper and cleaner all around.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Nah, game definitely is slightly harder than PS2-version. Wander gets shaken like a bitch constantly, even when the colossi don't even move. It sometimes feel "buggy".

forrest

formerly nacire
Yoshichan said:
Nah, game definitely is slightly harder than PS2-version. Wander gets shaken like a bitch constantly, even when the colossi don't even move. It sometimes feel "buggy".

I wonder if increased performance would affect the physics. Who knows. I noticed a bit of small jarring here and there, but I don't know if it was enough to make me thing anything had significantly changed.

Salaadin

Did SOTC have any ICO-like changes in the PAL and JP versions? Were the games harder overseas and was this HD collection based on that version? Maybe thats the case here.

I've only done 2 Colossi so far on this version but the shaking doesn't seem too much different to the PAL PS2 version, though it has been a while so maybe I just don't remember.

First time playing Ico, what's the average length of the game out of interest?

Salaadin

Nocturnowl said:
I've only done 2 Colossi so far on this version but the shaking doesn't seem too much different to the PAL PS2 version, though it has been a while so maybe I just don't remember.

First time playing Ico, what's the average length of the game out of interest?

Ico took me 6 hours. If youre fast, you can do it under 4.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Nocturnowl said:
Wait till you reach the later colossi :)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
_dementia said:
Depends on you PC, but ideally, I would assume the latter.
Why would you assume the PC?

The PC version is based on the PS2 version so it will be stuck in 4:3 with original assets at 30 fps (max) with some minor glitches.

The PS3 version runs at full 1920x1080, so it won't feel low resolution, and improves textures while increasing the visible area of the game with 16:9 support. It also supports proper 7.1 audio.

Eurogamer did a comparison and the emulated PC version looks worse in every instance. The PS3 port is the best way to play ICO these days.

gunbo13

_dementia said:
Depends on you PC, but ideally, I would assume the latter.
PC emulation emulates a lot of effects that were not doable on pcsx2. Therefore, the emulated version is remade in many regards. Not many people realize this but that is enough for me to have just gone to GS to pick it up at lunch.

Top Bottom