• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The ICO and Shadow of the Colossus Collection |OT| Ueda *bow*

Trevelyon

Colossus
battle is still one of my overall favorites, definitely the better of the
Guardians
, really wish there were more like it specifically.

Maybe it's
the static geometry and the set pieces, the little temple courtyard tucked away in the corner of the world. But the process felt way more involved and the game mechanics really tend to mesh well here, since you can dictate the pace a little more and you aren't frantically fighting the twitch aiming with using the bow on the fly or deal with any Argo aggravation.

GQman2121

Banned
Deified Data said:
I've heard a few complaints about that, notably in the Game Informer review. Apparently this piston jump is different between US and PAL versions. Anyone remmeber what it was like in the original?
In the original US game, there is no pump. You just climb around the pipe to the window and hop out. I believe the water wheel was also a tad different.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
GQman2121 said:
In the original US game, there is no pump. You just climb around the pipe to the window and hop out. I believe the water wheel was also a tad different.

that water wheel was an absolute bitch. The original US release just had you jump across the water and up a ladder to turn the crank.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Einbroch said:
On Colossus 14. So good. So damn good.
I know you're posting this when you're saving, in between the colossi :lol

RoadHazard

Gold Member
GQman2121 said:

alr1ghtstart said:
that water wheel was an absolute bitch. The original US release just had you jump across the water and up a ladder to turn the crank.

So basically the original US version was made easier so you poor unskilled fools would have a chance to finish it? ;)

EDIT: Wait, it was released in the US first. So it's the other way around? The JP and EU versions were made more challenging?

ScOULaris

Other than the improved Yorda AI and the extra features, I'm inclined to say that the U.S. version of Ico is actually the superior of the two. Here are my reasons:

- The Queen's shadow effects are better. The PAL version is more transparent and has a weird green outline.
- The tweaked puzzles in the PAL version are just slightly more annoying and not inherently better than the originals in the U.S. version.
- The ending is cut together better in the U.S. version (different music timing and credits sequence)

I'm glad we got the PAL version for the HD Collection because I can finally access the second-playthrough features, but I can't help but notice some of its shortcomings compared to the version I fell in love with originally.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
My favorite one. :)
I see you've got great taste, as usual! :D

Am I the only one (colossus #5)
who strains my whole body when he comes flying at you and you're about to jump? I'm literally completely frozen in place every time.

rhino4evr

The 5th Collossus is when the game went from great to omg all over my controller. Seriously amazing.

But there are some great ones to follow..envy the folks playing this the first time

ScOULaris

Yeah, I can't say for sure whether or not #5 is my favorite colossus, but it was definitely the first one to really blow me away during my first playthrough.

If you're just playing it now, don't worry. There are plenty more awesome colossi to go. There's only one in the game that I simply didn't like.

#12.

Just finished ICO for the first time. WOW, is all that comes to mind. I always thought this game was a bit overrated. Never understood how anyone could like it more than Shadow. But the way it all came to an end was just perfect. The music. Everything. I can't remember the last time a game made me feel this way.

ScOULaris

Yoshichan said:
I'm curious, why :)?
Eh, I dunno. It's just a very slow fight, and I always end up frustrated with it. I especially dislike Time Attack on that one. I guess it just lacks the intensity of all the other fights in the game.

Yoshichan

ScOULaris said:
Eh, I dunno. It's just a very slow fight, and I always end up frustrated with it. I especially dislike Time Attack on that one. I guess it just lacks the intensity of all the other fights in the game.
Understandable. I love him (just like I love all other colossi), I find his time attack one of the most intensive ones actually! Getting him to
swim towards me instead of shooting and taking cover behind the pillars was an awesome mechanic imo!

vag 2.0

anyone else with the PAL version got a dodgy code for the dynamic themes, or do they just not kick-in until the official release date or something?

Yoshichan

Einbroch :( You can mark these:
You two were best buddies huh?

Einbroch

Banned
Yoshichan said:
Einbroch :( You can mark these:
You two were best buddies huh?
Bestest fwiends.

Seriously, there was a part where I was really low on health, and I called my horse. The way he said "Agro" made me feel real sad. It was like desperation.

Yoshichan

Einbroch said:
Bestest fwiends.

Seriously, there was a part where I was really low on health, and I called my horse. The way he said "Agro" made me feel real sad. It was like desperation.
You can mark these too Einbroch:
Go get your revenge, DO IT! :mad: For Agro! Also don't mark the spoilers in the post below this one!!!

Yoshichan

READ THIS POST:
Einbroch, don't mark the spoilers above (jackdoes post)!

jackdoe said:
Hahaha. *text*
The hell you doing?

Einbroch

Banned
AND WITH THAT I'M BOWING OUT OF THIS THREAD UNTIL I BEAT IT.

I didn't highlight anyones posts. Except Yoshi's. I will... (Story spoiler for those not following along:)
For Agro!

Yoshichan

jackdoe, thank you so much for the edit! :)
Einbroch said:
AND WITH THAT I'M BOWING OUT OF THIS THREAD UNTIL I BEAT IT.

I didn't highlight anyones posts. Except Yoshi's. I will... (Story spoiler for those not following along:)
For Agro!
Good luck and enjoy the ride ♥ !

Yoshichan

jackdoe said:
I thought I was being vague enough, but I can definitely see where it may be a little more spoilerific. My bad!
Ahh crap happens! He didn't mark the spoilers anyway so we're good :D

Yoshichan

Paches-EJ- said:
The damn UPS truck finally shows up at 6:30 PM (FUUUU). First thing to do: Flip the cover! Off to play my new game!
First time playing through these games?! What are you playing first?

Mush

Managed to put in some time with the collection today. Started off with ICO.

Absolutely floored by well, everything. It looks stunning.

Yoshichan

Paches-EJ- said:
Yep, first for both. I think I am gonna do SOTC first.
Fuck me, I love first time impressions so much. Just like ScOULaris, it brings me back (lots and lots of background behind me and SotC). If you feel like it, keep updating us with your progression! But make sure to take your sweet ass time with it, don't rush!

Darkgran

I wanted to post my thoughts as this is my first time playing SOTC...

First off it took me about 30 minutes to find a control scheme that worked best for me and also for the controls to feel right..I was a little nervous those first 30 minutes as I was fighting the controls...but then after that it all clicked.

I just finished the 4 colossus and as of now I am absolutely in love with this game. In fact I'm emotionally involved with it.

The music is phenomenal. Some of the best I have ever heard in a game. The visuals are amazing..I have had a few graphical hiccups but nothing that has taken me out of the game.

I can't believe I waited so long to play this..and that it is actually living up to the hype.

Something about it just makes me want to keep pushing on but then there is something inside me wondering if I am doing the right thing. I have never had a game grab me like that.

I will post more impressions later....

Paches

Yoshichan said:
Fuck me, I love first time impressions so much. Just like ScOULaris, it brings me back (lots and lots of background behind me and SotC). If you feel like it, keep updating us with your progression! But make sure to take your sweet ass time with it, don't rush!

Will do!

Yoshichan

Darkgran said:
I will post more impressions later....
Do it! Also...
Darkgran said:
I just finished the 4 colossus.
What many find to be the best colossus is #5 so I wish you good luck and enjoy :)!

tumblr_ls78d3YwUP1qfmi03o1_400.gif

posted?

http://gplus.to/darwin

Yoshichan

That's amazingly good looking! Although I hate to be the picky one, but that's #2 and the ground should be sand, not grass ._.

RedSwirl

Holy crap. I just beat Colossus 8 and the game clock is only at two hours, and I'm still taking time to find lizards and fruit. Blazing through this one!

By the way, what's everyone's favorite place in SOTC anyway? I always had a thing for where you fight #8 and the path to #14.

RedSwirl said:
Holy crap. I just beat Colossus 8 and the game clock is only at two hours, and I'm still taking time to find lizards and fruit. Blazing through this one!

By the way, what's everyone's favorite place in SOTC anyway? I always had a thing for where you fight #8 and the path to #14.
I like the massive dead tree.

I forget where is was :(

It's really quite unsettling.

Yoshichan

RedSwirl said:
Mine's a very unique place...

galdI.png

Nothing out of the ordinary but that specific place always gives me the goosebumps. The wind is stronger there and you truly do feel that you're at the furthest point in the game... amazing.

ScOULaris

_dementia said:
I like the massive dead tree.

I forget where is was :(

It's really quite unsettling.
I fucking love that tree! One of the two giant hawks in the game flies in that region. I grabbed the one that hangs out around the entrance to where you fight #6 for the 30 second trophy. Then I shot it in the face. :)

I also love the little oasis just below the Autumn Forest, and of course the
Ico beach
and the
secret garden.

Top Bottom