• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The ICO and Shadow of the Colossus Collection |OT| Ueda *bow*

jett

D-Member
Cheska said:
I love SotC and all but fuck guiding Agro. I seriously have the hardest time navigating him around, and it almost makes me want to just run everywhere.

Agro will navigate itself. Just hold X. Only move the reins to steer him into a general direction.

Cheska

jett said:
Agro will navigate itself. Just hold X. Only move the reins to steer him into a general direction.

That's what I've been doing but he still seems to crash into stuff whenever were on a tighter road :(

Carl

And slows to a bloody crawl when you're in the middle of a desert with nothing to crash into and WILL NOT SPEED UP NO MATTER HOW MUCH YOU HIT X.

jett

D-Member
Cheska said:
That's what I've been doing but he still seems to crash into stuff whenever were on a tighter road :(

lol well I dunno, I think your agro might've been dropped on its head.

UnluckyKate said:
Dont run full speed on narrow cornich over giant cliffs
Yup, that's how you do it, you can go as fast as you want by taping X but just make sure you stop right when you enter narrow areas and just hold it.

ScOULaris said:
I also think they included that scene so the player could feel
what it's like for a colossus trying to fend off quicker little pests like Wander. Something that large is going to have very cumbersome (but powerful) movements compared to the shorter but rapid movements of tinier humans. With one swipe you can knock all of the guards down, but it takes a while to get your supremely large body in position to attack. You can really feel the effort it takes to move all of that mass.

Does that make any sense? I thought it was an incredibly nice touch at the end there.

Makes complete sense.
I was really hoping I could smash some guys so it made me a little upset. Guess I know how the Colossi felt now.
:(

Seriously though, great game. Probably gonna let a couple friends borrow it so they can experience it too. Even though most of my close friends that game only play FPS's.

I finshed Ico this evening. The game is fantastic exercise in minimalist design. Personally as a gamer I needed something like this to mix things up. You have the ability to hold someone elses hand in this game, but the creators don't coddle you in the same fashion. Progression is part trial and error. After the first few sections of the castle I started to figure out the mechanics and how to use them to succeed. I simple adored the animation style and the way Ico and Yorda interact in regular movement and for puzzle sections.

It's unbelievable that it's a 10 year old game and outdoes every Prince of Persia game of the past decade.

AllenShrz

ReturnOfTheRAT said:
I finshed Ico this evening. The game is fantastic exercise in minimalist design. Personally as a gamer I needed something like this to mix things up. You have the ability to hold someone elses hand in this game, but the creators don't coddle you in the same fashion. Progression is part trial and error. After the first few sections of the castle I started to figure out the mechanics and how to use them to succeed. I simple adored the animation style and the way Ico and Yorda interact in regular movement and for puzzle sections.

It's unbelievable that it's a 10 year old game and outdoes every Prince of Persia game of the past decade.

Not so much for me. I've finished ICO for the very first time this past weekend... I didnt like it.

They way in which ICO moves so blocky puts me off. Only 3 ambient sounds throughout the game, I didnt feel a connection like i did with SotC.

ICO wasnt for me.

SamuraiX-

I pity anybody who is unable to find even the slightest bit of appreciation for ICO.

The game is truly one of few timeless masterpieces in video games.

Dynedom

Finished SOTC.

This OST has slipped right back into my top 5. It's like perfect. Absolutely perfect.

God bless Kō Ōtani for this.

rataven

Wow. ICO. Just wrapped it up for the first time. Felt like I was playing through an old fashioned fairy tale. Dark, adventurous, and twisty.

It was a very memorable experience. The art direction is stunning. Every color, every sound, fits so perfectly into place. It's completely gorgeous. And the first time I got a real sense of the scale of the island just took my breath away. The pacing was perfect and the puzzles refreshing in their relative ease.

Though I did have some rage moments too. Almost quit hard stop at the waterwheel. Just an awful, frustrating section. And the controls felt boxy throughout. Yanking Yorda around wasn't that much of a pain in and of itself, but her shoulder sure must have been aching. Looked almost painful to be tugged along like that.

The ending was touching and very well done though. So glad to have had the opportunity to play through it. Now on to SotC!

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Ugh, Colossus 11 was a fucking bitch. Wasn't hard to figure out what to do, but my god, I just couldn't get any stabs in! Damned character was being shook like a ragdoll and I couldn't even get pecks in for ages, let alone a decent charged stab. And then when you get hit by it, stupid character takes so damn long to get back up that the Colossus is already hitting me again by the time I'm starting to move. That wasn't the least bit fun.

I want to like both these games way more, but the controls and mechanics are too often infuriating.

Reversed

Starting with SotC. At first it felt weird, then wow. I just beat
the 3rd colossus
. This game is as fun as riding a mechanical bull. My few concerns reside in how empty the world map is, and Agro's responsiveness.

Ico will be played after this. It's one of those few times where I want to finish this game asap because it's damn good. :)

Gvaz

Banned
Reversed said:
the 3rd colossus
. This game is as fun as riding a mechanical bull. My few concerns reside in how empty the world map is, and Agro's responsiveness.

Ico will be played after this. It's one of those few times where I want to finish this game asap because it's damn good. :)
The land is forbidden, it makes sense that nothing really lives there.

zoukka

Gvaz said:
The land is forbidden, it makes sense that nothing really lives there.

Except one breed of handy health increasing lizards and a few mystical turtles? Oh and birds... And tuna.

That's not even all...

wouwie

Finished ICO for the first time yesterday and i can't stop thinking about it. I'm glad i got the opportunity to play this game at last.

In short, as a game, i'd describe ICO as "ok" (purely speaking about gameplay). As a gaming experience, i loved it though. It's one of those games that will stay in my memory and heart for years to come.

Gameplay wise, i was never fond of the combat. Neither did i get a lot of satisfaction from solving puzzles. Most of them were mostly about finding the right path and pulling a switch. Controls were a bit stiff at times but ok in general.

However, everything else about this game was awesome. The story, the atmosphere, the emotions, the interaction and bond between Ico and Yorda. The graphics looked suprisingly good: the architecture, the design of the world, the sunlight, the dust effects,... In fact, it looked stunning at times. The animation looked great for the most part. The environmental sounds were great and the music and voice acting was nice.

In short, from the very start, it was clear that this is a very unique and special game and i can now finally understand why people are so fond about it. Gameplay wise, it was frustrating at times but as i'm sitting here typing this, i feel like playing the game all over again.

rhino4evr

Reversed said:
the 3rd colossus

I actually think the "gripping" gets easier as you progress. Mainly because your grip meter increases (search for lizards at save points) but also because there are more horizontal Collossi then Vertical.

Rain_ng

Banned
So its the 10th....

Can anyone else in Euro Land not at work, try the DLC code for the Themes/Videos Please?

Hope Sony finally bothered to put them up.

ashk

Rain_ng said:
So its the 10th....

Can anyone else in Euro Land not at work, try the DLC code for the Themes/Videos Please?

Hope Sony finally bothered to put them up.

Not working for me :(

goonergaz

These games so much needs an FAQ - the same Qs keep coming up over and over!

On that subject I have a question! Do the time trials (or whatever they're called) help increase grip - or how about when you revisit the 'dead' colossi and play in 'retro' mode? Or is it just on play-throughs?

Thanks in advance :)

ScOULaris

goonergaz said:
These games so much needs an FAQ - the same Qs keep coming up over and over!

On that subject I have a question! Do the time trials (or whatever they're called) help increase grip - or how about when you revisit the 'dead' colossi and play in 'retro' mode? Or is it just on play-throughs?

Thanks in advance :)
Only beating colossi during a regular playthrough increases your grip.

Goldenhen

So I finished Ico and SotC today for the first time and wow both games is truly masterpieces and also one of the kinds. I can't think of any other games that are similar or inspired by those two masterpieces. The soundtrack of both games is so epic and I'm planing to get them on my iPhone ringtone hehehe :D.

So I'm just curious about the ending of
Ico - so the whole time I was playing was happening in Ico's dream which start he got knocked down at the beginning of the game? The ending was really touching, I cried and no other games ever actually made me cried before. I cried when Yorda became shadow and she saved Ico by sending him away by small boat from castle. That was beautiful scene and there was another ending that Ico woke up and found Yorda alive so I'm assuming it's another dream happening when he was unconscious on small boat? In the end I was happy cause Yorda was alive after all it has happy ending.

SotC - really sad ending unlike Ico but it was also really touching knowing that the wanderer truly loved Mono will do anything for her. At the end of the game the horned baby was it birth of Dormin or reincarnation of wanderer or simply no connection to those two?

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Goldenhen said:
So I finished Ico and SotC today for the first time and wow both games is truly masterpieces and also one of the kinds. I can't think of any other games that are similar or inspired by those two masterpieces. The soundtrack of both games is so epic and I'm planing to get them on my iPhone ringtone hehehe :D.

So I'm just curious about the ending of
Ico - so the whole time I was playing was happening in Ico's dream which start he got knocked down at the beginning of the game? The ending was really touching, I cried and no other games ever actually made me cried before. I cried when Yorda became shadow and she saved Ico by sending him away by small boat from castle. That was beautiful scene and there was another ending that Ico woke up and found Yorda alive so I'm assuming it's another dream happening when he was unconscious on small boat? In the end I was happy cause Yorda was alive after all it has happy ending.

No just the melon ending is the dream ( after Ico got knocked hard, and Yorda put him in the boat,after that he was sleeping) Ico was dreaming of happy times with Yorda :(
so sad.

SotC - really sad ending unlike Ico but it was also really touching knowing that the wanderer truly loved Mono will do anything for her. At the end of the game the horned baby was it birth of Dormin or reincarnation of wanderer or simply no connection to those two?

The baby is a resurrected Wonder merged/fused with Dormin (see the horns), so not Dormin and also not the old Wander anymore, the baby started the horned curse/line and the horned people ruled the land for some years ,the horned huge statues in Ico castle mean they were controlling that part or were very powerful clan well tell they go extinct and people started killing the horned babies

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Fucking Ico sucks at jumping at platforming *pulls hair due to last stretch of the game*.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I like SotC so much more than Ico. I feel bad for killing the Colossi. :(

Curufinwe

Even though I played Ico before I got horribly stuck a couple of times.
At the East Gate it took me an hour to figure out I needed to bring Yorda to that circular platform in order to make the steps rise up. I was convinced I needed to climb up somewhere. And before that I got stuck for half an hour before I remembered/noticed one of the grates to the sewer was missing and that I could go down there.

The only tricky bit I remembered clearly from my original playthru was knocking the bridge down by swinging into it. I spent a long time chucking bombs at it when I first played Ico and eventually had to check a faq to figure out what I should do.

I'm not very good at puzzle games.

So I put another hour into Ico tonight and you guys are right, that section was just shit for combat. The rest has been okay so far. :)

So far I'm not seeing this as GAME OF THE FOREVER material like a lot of people hype it up to be, however one thing I utterly love is the sense of scale in this castle/prison/whatever. It's because of two things, I think. First is the fact you're constantly going back and forth between rooms but on different levels etc. Everything feels really connected. The game has a WONDERFUL sense of verticality and the further I go the more I feel like I'm just getting higher and higher. The second thing is much more obvious: a lot of the areas are just huge with wonderful vistas.

So as many things as this game does right, the sense of scale is by far the best at the moment IMO.

I am playing these games so slowly.

This is the first time I'm playing these games. I'm going to be honest and say that the first moments of playing these games didn't grab me that much.

Instead I've today completed the second Colossi in Shadow of the Colossus. In Ico I've got past the windmill.

I think after two weeks, I'm just starting to get into these games.

Do these games get much better as they go along? So far they are good but I don't see what's so special about them so far.

Also for UK GAF, does your code for the behind the scenes videos and PS3 themes work yet?

Sinthetic

A huge wave of joy swept over me as I took down beast #1 in SotC, followed by a profound sadness as his falling animation played out. I am a bad, bad man.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
Hopefully my copy will arrive tomorrow, I NEED to play SoTC again, it's been too long.

Zoibie

ashbash159 said:
Also for UK GAF, does your code for the behind the scenes videos and PS3 themes work yet?

Nope. I'll ask in the blog update on Wednesday if we don't hear anything before then.

these are the best games ever made, the HD remaster stuff make them even better, period, specially SotC, no game will ever top it, if you disagree you deserve playing Call of Duty MW3 10 hours a day unti some randown diude your eyes dry. I know you're gonna do it anyway, xX_Killah_Xx and xX_Owny-Win-Kenobi_Xx- need their camping and noobtube abuse at least half fix tp.

Top Bottom