• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The ICO and Shadow of the Colossus Collection |OT| Ueda *bow*

Just picked it up at Best Buy on the way home from work! Yay for sales, one of my online friends pointed it out to me. If he didn't I would've missed out on this great offer. Plan to start it soon :)

Melfice7 said:
So i'm hunting the lizards and fruits and on the map it says theres still a lizard on autumn forest @ 5-E on map, even though i already killed and catched one exactly where it says on the map :s what gives? i already looked EVERYWHERE and theres no sign of another lizard.. maybe its a bug?

edit: Jesus after like 1 hour looking the bastard showed up

Some of the towers have 3 lizards by them, but only 1 will show up at a time; so kill it and take its tail, ride far enough away, and come back for another to spawn.

-----------

This game is so fucking frustrating with its trophies.

"Acquire all fruit in the world" What the fuck does that mean? Eat one of each type? Eat every goddam piece of fruit in the game? What?

Well, it means don't bother doing this trophy until you've beaten the game 2.5 times so you have enough stamina to finally climb up the tower to eat the fucking fruit up there first and then go to every fucking tree on the goddam map!

Why can't this shit remember the fruit/lizards from previous playthroughs? It remembers my health and stamina -- how the fuck do you think I maxed out my health if I didn't eat any fruit, you stupid shit?!

sublimit

Banned
Reckoner said:
I'm trying to redeem the code that came with the game on the ps store and it is giving me an error. am I the only one?
Someone said a couple pages back that the code will be working after the 10th of October.I don't know what was his source though.

Even though I already own PS2 copies of both Ico and SotC, I broke and bought the collection today at Best Buy. They're just such good games, and I don't have my PS2 with me at my new place and I've had the urge to replay SotC recently. So...I think it's money well spent.

soultron

Banned
Incendiary said:
Even though I already own PS2 copies of both Ico and SotC, I broke and bought the collection today at Best Buy. They're just such good games, and I don't have my PS2 with me at my new place and I've had the urge to replay SotC recently. So...I think it's money well spent.
They look pretty great in HD, so I don't think you'll be disappointed. From what I saw of my roommate playing, the framerate stability in SOTC seems to have improved too. It could be my memory and eyes playing tricks on me though.

The sound is glorious too. c:

SamuraiX-

Playing ICO for the first time. I love everything about it but I can't really explain why. lol

So with the trophies, are there any of them that you can miss or is getting them pretty self-explanatory? I know it looks like you have to play through the game at least a couple of times to get them all...

Gvaz

Banned
soultron said:
They look pretty great in HD, so I don't think you'll be disappointed. From what I saw of my roommate playing, the framerate stability in SOTC seems to have improved too. It could be my memory and eyes playing tricks on me though.

The sound is glorious too. c:
Nope, at times SOTC looks like it's moving at 60fps to me, which is a notable improvement.

Wow. Having played and finally beating the game (after I first tried the demo 9 years ago - I thought it was boring and didn't care to try the full game), I really enjoyed the game. Sure I had my frustrations with some of the mechanics at first and the fact you are quickly just thrown into this world. But I came to realize that in Ico the less is more. So much more. Yet, the complexity of the level design and the way the castle is essentially unfolding is just masterful.

What a Masterpiece. Certainly a hell of experience that i'm disappointed I missed out on many years ago. I know it would have had all the more impact if I didn't misjudge the demo when I were younger. At the same time, i'm glad I finally got to experience it (Thanks Bluepoint and Team Ico!) That after credits sequence just blew me away.

Time to playthrough again to find all these secrets. :D

andylsun

Wasn't going to pick this up till Christmas, but thanks to this thread, just got it for $25 in Best Buy Salem, NH. Nashua have sold out, even though the web site says in stock...

Very excited. Are most people playing in 720p? It's supposed to keep a smoother frame rate?

yggdrasil

Carl said:
See what you all mean about the grip now! Fuck me i nearly destroyed something while taking down Colossi #15. Every time i tried to charge my stab i bounced around like a turd. Impossible to stay still long enough to take him down. Fight took me at least 5 times longer than it should have

Just finished Argus on hard, and it took an hour and a half between two separate tries. I have no idea how it can be done in 11:30. I must have fallen off that tiny vital over his heart ten times before I finally took it out.

Reeeeeeaaaaaaaalllllllly hoping Sony patches this to make the grip bug less maddening.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Mush said:
It's not a bug. It's how it's always been (for me at least).

You're the only one who has said this.

Every time a colossus moves, at all, you get shaken. When exactly am I supposed to stab?

I did discover, at least for the last colossus, if you back off the weak spot for a few seconds and then go back to it, you get a chance to get a good stab in before it just shakes you forever.

Maybe the whole point is that you're supposed to stab the spot, then move somewhere else, then go back to the spot, but I've NEVER had to play that way before.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
KennyLinder said:
it's just too perfectly setup
But aren't you basically doing what every speed runner does in any last-gen game; finding ways to go from A->B faster?

Except based on what you write you seem to attribute every shortcut as the designer's intention instead of the byproduct which it usually is.
If a shortcut you think is promising in concept doesn't pan out in reality, do you subtract that from the game's "designed speedrunability"?

Basically, do you keep a scorecard of the 'hits' and the 'misses' for speedrunning?

Maybe Ueda cares about this, but whenever a game director/designer is interviewed (IIRC) they always say "no that was not a priority, just a happy coincidence".

rhino4evr

I like when people that play hard mode complain that it's too hard.

The "bug" didn't make the normal single player difficult. I'm breezing right through

rhino4evr said:
I like when people that play hard mode complain that it's too hard.

The "bug" didn't make the normal single player difficult. I'm breezing right through

People aren't just complaining because it's harder, people are complaining because hard time attack is broken.

I'm so excited! I don't know if I should spoiler this or not, but I guess I should just in case.

I beat ICO with the time of 1:58:38 and got the Castle Guide trophy!

I was starting to think I wasn't going to get it, but I got it! Wee!

<3 ICO

Ridley327

rhino4evr said:
It's really hard to imagine that #13 was even possible on the PS2...WOW
Incidentally, it was one of the smoother running fights. Anything with water in the PS2 version was where the framerate woes became nigh unplayable, and there's still issues in the PS3 version (7 especially). It's soooooo very nice to have 16 running buttery smooth, though; it became a slideshow as soon as you got to him and never let up.

An-Det

rhino4evr said:
It's really hard to imagine that #13 was even possible on the PS2...WOW

I just beat 13 myself, wow indeed. I'm impressed seeing it in HD on my PS3, I can't imagine seeing that running on a PS2 and not being blown away.

jett

D-Member
Cruising through SotC. 1 hour in, 5 colossi defeated. I've played this game way too many times, and normal is just cake. :p I don't have any problem with the "new" grip. I don't really see much of a difference with my PS2 game in that aspect.

Man this game is gorgeous.

Chuck

Still without luck
I just defeated the 14th colossus...

I feel bad about killing the others, but this is the first one that made me really, really sad. ;_;
I cried a little.

AwShucks

jett said:
Cruising through SotC. 1 hour in, 5 colossi defeated. I've played this game way too many times, and normal is just cake. :p I don't have any problem with the "new" grip. I don't really see much of a difference with my PS2 game in that aspect.

Man this game is gorgeous.

I checked How Long To Beat and SotC is like an average of 11 hours. I know I've beaten the game before but I'm at 4 finished an only an hour and ten minutes in (so a bit slower than you). I can't imagine the rest taking 10 hours.

Anyways, I played ICO for the first time ever and really enjoyed it. First like 30 minutes and last 1.5 hours were the best. Took me barely under 5 hours to beat but that's ok considering I only paid $30 for the collection and I'm already replaying SotC.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
I had never saved at a save point that wasn't the temple before, I had no idea that Wanda is left in a kinda resting position against the stone, and having left it on the menu, it loads where you are up and Agro goes on a little adventure of his own.

Really nice touch that after all these years I had missed.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
hey_it's_that_dog said:
Yeah, it's come up several times. It sounds like the physics are slightly different in the sense that you get shaken more easily. It's a terrible and frustrating change, IMO. (Not that I'm claiming it was intentional. It would be nice if they fixed that shit.)

I'm just happy I'm not crazy, I imagine the change makes the time attacks on hard a right pain in the ass.

And saying that, whatever they have done has ruined any enjoyment I got fighting the 15th Colossi, doing him now I'm finding it utterly frustrating, any slight movement at all and Wander gets flicked around like crazy, it has taken the best part of the last 20 minutes to take down half his health with small stabs.

Disappointing to say the least.

Having never played them before, I finally had the pleasure of finishing them last week. ICO was over in 4 hours and that pretty much proves how straightforward it was. But for me it wasn't a puzzle game. A heart-warming adventure is the best way I can describe it. The level design was superb, possibly the best I've ever seen in any game. Too short and too easy, these are the biggest flaws I could come up with.

SotC was a whole different beast. Took me nearly 10 hours to get to the end because it wasn't as obvious as ICO with it's "puzzles". I was really surprised that
there were no enemies besides the Colossi
. Wandering the lands and searching for the Colossi was somehow calming. Finding their weaknesses proved to be a real challenge sometimes. It's really hard to find something bad to say from this one. A beautiful experience.

ScOULaris

I just want to clarify one thing. The slight difference in Wander's grip stability in this version (probably a side-effect of the higher framerate) does not make the game significantly harder or unfair. If anything, it makes it slightly more realistic.

It is noticeable of some colossi more than others. Even though some vitals seem like they give you no time to stab, they actually do. In this version (because it was ported from the PAL version), trying to stab too early actually penalizes you by making Wander slip. Once you figure out when to stab and wait for that opportune moment, you're good to go.

I just wanted to post something about this from my phone because people were starting to blow things out of proportion. I beat every HTA except for #3 and #15 in one try easily. Those other two took me about five tries each. That's far from unfair.

Sarcasm

Tempted to get this..but kinda off topic question - can you a actually use cover arts in OP post on the/in the ps3 game case?

ScOULaris said:
I just want to clarify one thing. The slight difference in Wander's grip stability in this version (probably a side-effect of the higher framerate) does not make the game significantly harder or unfair. If anything, it makes it slightly more realistic.

It is noticeable of some colossi more than others. Even though some vitals seem like they give you no time to stab, they actually do. In this version (because it was ported from the PAL version), trying to stab too early actually penalizes you by making Wander slip. Once you figure out when to stab and wait for that opportune moment, you're good to go.

I just wanted to post something about this from my phone because people were starting to blow things out of proportion. I beat every HTA except for #3 and #15 in one try easily. Those other two took me about five tries each. That's far from unfair.
Question: Did you beat 14 the intended way or did you use the exploit? Every time I've tried the exploit, Wander would fall so I had a feeling it has been fixed but maybe I just suck at it...

ScOULaris

The only colossus that I used a shortcut on in HTA was #3. I don't think it's possible to beat him the traditional way within the time limit. Every other colossus can be beaten the regular way with plenty of time left over.

I honestly had no problem with the new physics; in fact, if I never read it here I probably would not have known it was any different from the NTSC PS2 version. The game was actually much less challenging to me and I rarely got knocked off of the colossi. I think I got knocked off a lot only for the final colossus and a bit for #15 (mostly because I forgot about where hidden weakspot was).
Then again, I did use the jump stab technique for some of them so there wasn't as much need for me to hold on while I charged the stab.

th3dude

Took advantage of the $24.99 - $10 promo at Best Buy by buying a year long membership. Got the collection + membership for $30!

Can't wait to play these. Completely missed them on PS2.

I do know that colossus 6 is very noticable in the constant shake department.... on his left side (our right).
From his beard thing, I kept going to the right and I'd constantly run out of grip and hardly ever had a chance to move. Left side was no problem though. Weird. Try it out.

jett

D-Member
Melfice7 said:
I got all the lizards and my stamina isnt enough to climb the temple to get the last fruits.. ughhhhhhh

Lolz. To really increase your stamina meter you have to replay the game several times.

Ridley327

Ostinatto said:
are you doing the jumps correctly?
That doesn't work anymore; you actually need tons of grip meter to make it work now.

If you manage to collect all of the lizards on a playthrough, you'll only need to beat the game four times to max out your grip.

I beat the game in 5 hours. I love this game so much, and Colossus #5 will probably always be my favorite. One of the few games that I can outright say is a masterpiece and one of the best games ever made.

Top Bottom