• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The ICO and Shadow of the Colossus Collection |OT| Ueda *bow*

Ridley327

That, and
Dormin warns that there's a heavy price to pay for Mono's resurrection in the first conversation Wander has with it upon arriving at the temple. Wander was damned the minute he set foot in the Forbidden Lands and he doesn't care.

Aesthet1c

Don't get me wrong, I fully expected him to die, because of the "heavy burden" line at the beginning. I just didn't like how it happened. Your explanations have made it a little better. The horned child leading to Ico is a cool connection. Also.. Ico did have a happy ending, both of them live and end up on the beach together.

Aesthet1c

Ridley327 said:
You better not read Ueda's interview on that subject, then.
The only interview information I can find says
it was left vague on purpose. The ending being a dream is just one interpretation. Which would mean them living and escaping the castle is another. Also it's possible they both died and that is them in the afterlife. I don't believe it's a dream because the dream sequences from the beginning of the game have a different filter on them. The other two endings are relatively happy to me.

Also I'm not trying to say the games have to end happy for me to enjoy them. I'm just saying I'm a little dissapointed in the way things were resolved in SotC.

bubnbob

Banned
"sad" isn't the word I'd use for either ending. Just a typical bittersweet ending.

They got what they wanted, but it cost them __________

I expect TLG to take this route as well, and I will be none the surprised.

Erasus

Completed SoTC now and I liek it too! The atmosphere and gfx was excellent and its a different game from ICO. All the collosi are like an amazing puzzle even if some where a bit badly desinged.

Meohsix

Sorry to go off topic, but i found this Shadow of the Colossus ps2 demo disc today at a garage sale.

b2LHM.jpg

7yVUu.jpg

Never opened, still has the shrink wrap on it.
Does anyone know where/when it came from?
im guessing maybe a magazine?

and is it rare/worth anything?

shawnlreed

George said:
Sorry to go off topic, but i found this Shadow of the Colossus ps2 demo disc today at a garage sale.

That's the Gamestop demo that they gave out several weeks before Shadow's official release.
The first US Shadow of the Colossus demo came out in the October 2005 Official Playstation magazine.
This Gamestop demo was a re-release of that, but the graphics had been improved substantially.
It was interesting to see the changes from demo 1 to demo 2 to final game.

The Gamestop demo disc has some strange features:
You can actually use a diagonal jumping trick to climb up to the bridge and secret garden, where you find a headless Mono standing at the door.
If you try to wander far enough away from the temple or first colossus, the game just goes to a black screen and you have to reboot the PS2. (The OPM demo actually had huge gaps in the stone bridges leading north so you couldn't wander too far that way).
There's a stone wall with strange patterns on it preventing you from going into the part of the temple that has the circular pool.

It comes up for auction on ebay every now and then, so it's not all that rare. Cool find though.

Mest30

Banned
Playing thru ico right now after just picking up the collection. I never played the games on ps2. I like the puzzle element, though some are a bit frustrating. But the combat is god awful. Its not hard by any means, as ive never died nor had yorda captured during combat. It's just boring, tedious and predictable. And why does it take so long to get up after being knocked to the floor? It's not fucking nap time. I'm guessing I'm a bit past the halfway point
just got the sword out of the circular wall
and its an alright game. Was expecting better due to the belgacom love. It probably would have been better had I played it when it first came out. I'm hoping sotc is a bit better, though.

Heh, I've also just picked up the collection and am just playing through Ico.
It really tweaks a nostalgic twinge of third person games with multi room puzzles and very deliberate movements. It's so serene and quiet, I love the environmental atmosphere.
Yorda's intelligence seems inconsistent, but there was a certain puzzle involving water and switches that I was grateful for her pointing out to me, which forced me to think about the puzzle in a different way.

The only problem with the combat I had was resolved when I
-Learned not to spam
-Figured out how to pull her out
-Realised if you take her to a "Yorda-Door" the enemies are blown away

Think I'm half way through.

ScOULaris

George said:

http://i.imgur.com/b2LHM.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/7yVUu.jpg

I doubt it's worth anything, but that came with an issue of the Official Playstation Magazine a few months before the game's release. I still have mine. Interestingly enough, that demo contains a few minor features that didn't make it into the final U.S. release.

- Slow-motion final stab (ala the PAL and JAP NTSC versions)
- The ability to swing your sword while hanging from Agro's side (R1 + tilt left or right on the analog stick, then press square to swing).
- You can also take advantage of the diagonal jump glitch in that demo and see a headless Yorda model standing in the "T" position in the secret garden.

Pretty cool stuff.

Mest30

Banned
Zeouterlimits said:
Heh, I've also just picked up the collection and am just playing through Ico.
It really tweaks a nostalgic twinge of third person games with multi room puzzles and very deliberate movements. It's so serene and quiet, I love the environmental atmosphere.
Yorda's intelligence seems inconsistent, but there was a certain puzzle involving water and switches that I was grateful for her pointing out to me, which forced me to think about the puzzle in a different way.

The only problem with the combat I had was resolved when I
-Learned not to spam
-Figured out how to pull her out
-Realised if you take her to a "Yorda-Door" the enemies are blown away

Think I'm half way through.

Unfortunately, most combat arenas don't have doors that yorda can use as a weapon. Like I said, the combat isn't hard at all. I just find it boring.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
So I haven't picked this up yet, but there has been some whining in the MGS HD thread about this port being shoddy?

Mentions of the 'grip' meter being messed up specifically. What is the consensus? How was this port afterall?

Ridley327

Brandon F said:
So I haven't picked this up yet, but there has been some whining in the MGS HD thread about this port being shoddy?

Mentions of the 'grip' meter being messed up specifically. What is the consensus? How was this port afterall?
The ports are fantastic in of themselves, but it would appear that Team Ico made adjustments to the way gripping works in SotC where it's a lot harder to stay on a colossus and make deep stabs.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Based on what I've read earlier in the thread both ports of the games are based on the PAL version. There the grip meter was different from the US version.

Most notable in boss #3.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Brandon F said:

I found the changes to the way grip worked to be very annoying, but as far as technical stuff goes these ports are top notch.

jett

D-Member
Changes to how the grip mechanic works makes the game infuriating to play on hard mode. I'm probably gonna sell this bitch and the the MGS collection, at least that looks playable.

Johnas

Ico.

Square wooden peg that rises up and down out of the floor. Somehow I'm supposed to get on it and jump way up high to the grip spots above.

HOW?

I have played this through multiple times on PS2, but it's been a while. Is this one of the changes?

SamuraiX-

grindamasta said:
sorry for the off-topic, I just wanted to share this little tribute to ICO that I made. It's a really short video, hope you like it ;)

http://youtu.be/K9gKDHZHXrE

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm191/grindamasta/ico.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Love it!

Awesome job, man.

[QUOTE=Johnas]Ico.

Square wooden peg that rises up and down out of the floor. Somehow I'm supposed to get on it and jump way up high to the grip spots above.

HOW?

I have played this through multiple times on PS2, but it's been a while. Is this one of the changes?[/QUOTE]

The timing is incredibly weird.

What I do is press [U]and hold[/U] the triangle button about half a second after the platform starts descending (no need to release the triangle button). Just keep playing with the timing of the jump.

Johnas

SamuraiX- said:
The timing is incredibly weird.

What I do is press and hold the triangle button about half a second after the platform starts descending (no need to release the triangle button). Just keep playing with the timing of the jump.

That worked like a charm. Thanks very much.

It's been a while since I played SotC. You save after each colossi killed. I just killed the first one, saved it and then killed the lizard in the temple. I have to either kill a colossi or get to a temple and save, correct?

jett

D-Member
It's been a while since I played SotC. You save after each colossi killed. I just killed the first one, saved it and then killed the lizard in the temple. I have to either kill a colossi or get to a temple and save, correct?

Right, you can save in any of the green thingies scattered around the world.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Getting a lot of popping textures, was this normal? This PS3 is brand new so I hope that aren't issues with it!

If you mean sudden changes in the geometry in the distance and mid-distance, that's normal. The game always had dynamic level of detail, and now that it's so clean looking, it's really obvious.

Garcia

Replayed 3rd Colossus on the PS2, I can actually hit his weak points several times in a row! FANCY THAT! Despite being rusty with this game I killed him in 5:30(30 seconds over the time attack limit). I was literally messing with this fucker for 15 minutes on the PS3, despite the rock solid framerate.

Why, man. Why the fuck why. It's making me want to sell this shit.

I knew I wasn't crazy. They fucked up the experience of Time Trialing SotC because of the exaggerated responsive controlls adjusted to the PS3 remake. It's infuriating that you just can't fucking stand still when trying to hit the head of the 6th. I've tried that Time Trial over 5 times and still can't beat it in NORMAL mode.

I adore the game but seriously Fumito, why the hell!

If you mean sudden changes in the geometry in the distance and mid-distance, that's normal. The game always had dynamic level of detail, and now that it's so clean looking, it's really obvious.

That's probably it then, yea it's pretty obvious. And I just found like 4 lizards on my way to the 3rd Colossi and none of them increased my stamina, am I forgetting something about the way they work?

Dynedom

It seems they made the grip mechanics harder to encourage you (read: force you) to hunt white lizards. At least, that's what I gathered. If you have enough of those things, the colossi (in theory) shouldn't be a problem.

jett

D-Member
It seems they made the grip mechanics harder to encourage you (read: force you) to hunt white lizards. At least, that's what I gathered. If you have enough of those things, the colossi (in theory) shouldn't be a problem.

The size of your grip meter maters little when you can't do shit. And in time trial your grip meter is at default levels.

Curufinwe

After #7 or #8 I spent an hour or two going to all the save points and eating white lizard tails because I was so sick of falling off colossi.

Ah, interesting. I had trouble stabbing the colossi, because their shaking would stop the stab aim. So I had to do these lame little short stabs. This was particularly tough on the bull-in-the-desert-temple colossus.

I didn't recall issues in the PS2 version but thought it might just be my memory.

So I guess I wasn't crazy... it's really different? Or not?

Regardless, for ME, this was a top-notch remaster... but only because I don't care about Hard mode, time trials, special items, or any of that, as the game is really meant to be played one time... maybe two. (For me.)

Seems an apt place to post. Playing the first time and only 40mins or so in. Why the hell is there combat in this game?
Am on one of the early fights with 2 spirits after pulling Yorda up from a box. And I just cannot seem to beat them. 40mins in and I'm already stuck.

And am I going to have drag the girl around for the whole fucking game as I'm already sick of it. And his little whine to get her to follow

I don't want to give up on what I've been told is such a good game, but I really don't have the time to struggle through games.

Salaadin

Seems an apt place to post. Playing the first time and only 40mins or so in. Why the hell is there combat in this game?
Am on one of the early fights with 2 spirits after pulling Yorda up from a box. And I just cannot seem to beat them. 40mins in and I'm already stuck.

And am I going to have drag the girl around for the whole fucking game as I'm already sick of it. And his little whine to get her to follow

I don't want to give up on what I've been told is such a good game, but I really don't have the time to struggle through games.

Im not too sure of where you are exactly but are there any doors around that you need Yorda to open? If so, drag her over to that door and she will fry every enemy in the area.
If not, you just got to stick it out and whack the enemies until the die. Some of them take a while and its not exactly fun.

Im not too sure of where you are exactly but are there any doors around that you need Yorda to open? If so, drag her over to that door and she will fry every enemy in the area.
If not, you just got to stick it out and whack the enemies until the die. Some of them take a while and its not exactly fun.

Have just come outside, up two flights of stairs onto the top of the structure. Maybe I'm mashing but I swipe at the dudes but hit about once every 4 times.

Top Bottom