• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iOS Gaming Thread January 2013: We beat the apocalypse without buttons!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jediyoshi

Just joined the iOS party. What's the success rate like on refunds?
Accidentally bought infinity blade thinking it was infinity blade 2.

Otherwise I've been on a tear of old games catching up. Last few purchases have been tiny wings, battleheart, super hexagon, joe danger, and qwop.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

Otherwise I've been on a tear of old games catching up. Last few purchases have been tiny wings, battleheart, super hexagon, joe danger, and qwop.

Re: refunds, not sure about success rate, I've never done it personally but here's how you'd do it:

http://www.labnol.org/software/itunes-app-store-refunds/13838/

Official Apple policy however is that all sales are final.

matt360

I have a mini and i've compared it to my parents iPad with retina display and I really can't tell a difference.

Really? The mini does look pretty good I'll give you that, but there is still a pretty big difference. Big enough to where I wouldn't be too happy about going from a retina to a non-retina device.

SteeloDMZ

Banned

Just contact apple and tell them it was a purchase by mistake. You'll get your money back fo' sho.

PittaGAF

Would I be right in saying might & magic clash of heroes is coming this week? I've been waiting sooo long for this game to come to ios, I do hope the MP is asynchronous.

Yes it's supposed to be out the 24.
Asynchronous MP has been confirmed too (as is Gamecenter, Universal and iCloud sync support between devices).

Personally I can't wait.

argh, i check out app store threads on monday but the sales on Puzzle Quest 2 and Penny Arcade Card Game both ended yesterday :O

Penny Arcade is great, though I'm already getting a little burnt out because there's not really a whole lot of different cards. I also wish more cards had synergy, doing stuff like buying Deep Crows and trying to get rid of the Pax Poxes with the DivX guy or fairies is fun, or using the Token/ Power doubling card on a wolf, but for the most part it doesn't seem like there's a whole lot of strategic card pairings.

It seems like luck plays a pretty huge role as well, 7 out of 10 times I can stomp the CPU on hard but every once in awhile there will be a match where I get a few crappy hands while the CPU gets a bunch of high-scoring ones, and once you have a few more Boss Loots than the other person you're set.

Still an awesome game though, I really hope they'll add new card expansions, I'll buy any as soon as they're available. My GC is Dinner Cat if anyone wants to play multi.

Asynchronous MP has been confirmed too (as is Gamecenter, Universal and iCloud sync support between devices).

Personally I can't wait.

It seems unreal that it's finally happening. Hopefully we'll finally get Phoenix Wright soon too.

What other long-anticipated games are left after that? Ghost Recon port is cancelled, right?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
It seems unreal that it's finally happening. Hopefully we'll finally get Phoenix Wright soon too.

What other long-anticipated games are left after that? Ghost Recon port is cancelled, right?

You know, I think that might have been a silly rumour I started because of all the drive by posts asking about it. Last I heard it's still in dev and is being changed to a more social, freemium model. So it might as well be cancelled :p

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
You know, I think that might have been a silly rumour I started because of all the drive by posts asking about it. Last I heard it's still in dev and is being changed to a more social, freemium model. So it might as well be cancelled :p

Ghost Recon not cancelled but is now a casual social experience riddled with ammo IAPs, confirmed!

Gaaraz

Finally got around to playing Plague Inc - just seems kinda sick.

On my first attempt I managed to 'eradicate all humans' and it's like, umm... great?

Burger

Finally got around to playing Plague Inc - just seems kinda sick.

On my first attempt I managed to 'eradicate all humans' and it's like, umm... great?

It's make believe. You know like when you pretended to shoot your brother with a wooden gun, you didn't really shoot him and blow his brains out. It's like that.

Personally I can't wait.

I would definitely wait for impressions before buying it. The port sounds shoddy as fuck at this stage

DRZ

I got a refund on SFIV just by asking for it, stating that I bought it by mistake thinking it was universal while it was iPhone only (that btw is true). The refund arrived I think 1 week later but the customer care replied quite quickly.

Gaaraz

It's make believe. You know like when you pretended to shoot your brother with a wooden gun, you didn't really shoot him and blow his brains out. It's like that.
Really? Until I read this I genuinely thought I had eradicated the human race.

Just because something is 'make believe' doesn't mean it can't be distasteful

GeekyDad

Really? Until I read this I genuinely thought I had eradicated the human race.

Just because something is 'make believe' doesn't mean it can't be distasteful

Is macabre as fuck, no doubt about it. I found it to be uniquely addictive but morbid. Though I can't disagree with you that it's perhaps in poor taste, I was still engrossed by it for a short while. It's a terrificly well made game and an interesting concept. Sometimes it's fun to role play as an evil cunt, what can I say?

PittaGAF

I would definitely wait for impressions before buying it. The port sounds shoddy as fuck at this stage

Yeah I read about quirks about the port...I'll buy it nonetheless (it's cheap and I waited soooooo long).
Hopefully the final version is good (I really can't magine they taking so long to get one of their major franchises in mobile out and let it sink because of bugs or quirks...plus they took the efforts to add async, iCloud, Gamecenter and made it Universal).
I fear the worst but I hope for the better...will report (I have the 360 version as well but loading times are simply unbearable for me).

Gaaraz

I've not done a direct comparison with an iPad 4, but I was blown away by the screen on the mini in my brief experience with it

/betterthanperfectlaservisionandamassiveHDsnob

I've not done a direct comparison with an iPad 4, but I was blown away by the screen on the mini in my brief experience with it

/betterthanperfectlaservisionandamassiveHDsnob

No one is saying the Mini's screen is bad. It's just immediately and obviously inferior when coming from a Retina screen.
It's really the only thing stopping me from trading my iPad 3 in for a Mini.

Flunkie

Banned

Personally I can't wait.
Yup buying even if it "sucks" unless it's like $20.

Ghost Recon not cancelled but is now a casual social experience riddled with ammo IAPs, confirmed!

Seems like their Facebook game that launched alongside Future Soldier.

Marv_79

Neo Member
Yeah I read about quirks about the port...I'll buy it nonetheless (it's cheap and I waited soooooo long).
Hopefully the final version is good (I really can't magine they taking so long to get one of their major franchises in mobile out and let it sink because of bugs or quirks...plus they took the efforts to add async, iCloud, Gamecenter and made it Universal).
I fear the worst but I hope for the better...will report (I have the 360 version as well but loading times are simply unbearable for me).

Me too, surely they can't balls it up that much......can they?

I was actually surprised how bad the mini looked in comparison to the retina (it's far from a poor display though) - so I find that hard to believe.

Me too, but I'm gonna make sure it's good first. "It's cheap" can't be an excuse for shoddy work, and buying it anyway just encourages that kind of behaviour from developers.

PFD

I have requested a refund on two occassions, and succeeded both times.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I have requested a refund on two occassions, and succeeded both times.
How did you do that, I went once through the report a problem thing on recent purchases and didn't get shit. It was for a game that was crashing on every start for me too. It's happened before but it was a free game in that case, at first both worked fine but then they just crashed every single time and deleting/restorting the game/the whole device didn't fix it.

PittaGAF

Me too, but I'm gonna make sure it's good first. "It's cheap" can't be an excuse for shoddy work, and buying it anyway just encourages that kind of behaviour from developers.

Well what I really meant was that, even if it's crap I won't lose that much money.
I do not want to support shoddy port works at all, and I'll be very vocal if the port sucks, belive me.
Still, I want to show Ubisoft that supporting a major franchise on iOS, with added GC, async MP, UNIVERSAL and with iCloud sync is a good thing to do.
I think they have outsourced the port, to be honest (maybe bad decision, maybe not).

I'm not into runners or platformers, but I must admit that Rayman was a stellar effort by Ubisoft.

We will see....as I said...I fear the worst...but I hope for the best (first release or updates).

tops2

Neo Member
Thinking about ditching my iPad 2 for a Mini. Are the processor speed and graphics chips the same?

If you can be patient..March is right around the corner to see if Apple will announce another iPad or iPad mini or not.

My iPad 3 should last a few more years since I actually prefer to game on my iPod touch (aside from boardgames or pinball). But I think I'll replace it with the iPad mini since I like the size and weight when I played with it at the Apple store. At least to my eyes, the non retina display is really noticeable when browsing on the Internet or trying out the ebooks.

PFD

How did you do that, I went once through the report a problem thing on recent purchases and didn't get shit. It was for a game that was crashing on every start for me too. It's happened before but it was a free game in that case, at first both worked fine but then they just crashed every single time and deleting/restorting the game/the whole device didn't fix it.

I opened the receipt and clicked on report a problem, and then I explained the situation (accidental purchase.) Got a response shortly after, and refunded within a couple days.

theytookourjobz

If you can be patient..March is right around the corner to see if Apple will announce another iPad or iPad mini or not.

Yeah, that's the only thing holding me back. I kind of want to unload my iPad 2 on Craigslist now while I can still get ~300 for it. That would make the mini only around $50 out of pocket. Then if they announce a new iPad I could get that to fill the void left by my larger screened iPad 2.

Well what I really meant was that, even if it's crap I won't lose that much money.

You could justify purchasing literally every single game on the App Store like that! Well, every game aside from Square-Enix's.

I guess someone's gotta TOFTT though, may as well be you =P

Heel

He might be perma'd then. :/

Added to the OP:

--

GAF (IGN actually) announcement: Don't Buy Final Fantasy - All the Bravest
This game came out in January, but don't buy it.

--

ibtnIQPH46IEye.png

Infestor | $0.99, Universal

iS7amRdi0rSsa.png

Momonga Pinball Adventures | $0.99, Universal

inlie5baIdeSe.png

Temple Run 2 | Free, Universal

My two cents: Infestor and Time Surfer are completely mediocre for their genre and not worth recommending as games of the month. Doesn't feel like many people played or cared to recommend them here either. Anyone want to weigh in on these two?

Especially disappointed with Infestor, seeing as it's from a dev that has made great platformers. The 3rd button placement on iPad is nearly in the middle of the screen, making it really awkward to play when it's needed. A lot of plain as day glitches makes me feel like it wasn't tested very thoroughly (Infested achievement popping up continuously, getting stuck to boxes and having to start over). Those things can be fixed, but even then I just blew through half the game in about half an hour and haven't been challenged at all mentally by this "puzzle" platformer.

I would add Heroes and Castles, because at the very least it seems like a lot of GAF'ers have enjoyed it so far. I've only played a few levels so I don't have much of an opinion yet.

ToxicAdam

Seems like this has been the worst month since I started last April. I guess that's to be expected given the glut of good games that were released in Nov/Dec.

I despise Time Surfers.

Yeah, it's not great. I got it because I love Tiny Wings and it's a pretty low-rent knockoff. I'm not sure if the levels are randomly generated but they sure feel like it, it's a lot hard to get momentum going than Tiny Wings. All the stuff you can bounce off of and spikes you can run into make it feel far too random, especially after getting a speed boost it feels like you pretty much lose control until you slow down a bit or hit something and have to rewind.

The rewinding is pretty lame too, feels more like a necessary compensation for the randomness presented by the obstacles than something that's fun in it's own right. Then there's the fact that you have to buy or grind your way to high score potential, there's no way you're beating someone equally skilled if they have the characters that save you from a pit.

I wouldn't say I despise it, I've been playing it a bit since it came out since I love Tiny Wings and as poorly conceived as Time Surfers is it's still fun to have a new take on that gameplay. The luck-based design and IAPs/ grind make high score chasing, and by extent the game as a whole after the initial novelty wears off, feel pointless.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
My two cents: Infestor and Time Surfer are completely mediocre for their genre and not worth recommending as games of the month. Doesn't feel like many people played or cared to recommend them here either. Anyone want to weigh in on these two?

Especially disappointed with Infestor, seeing as it's from a dev that has made great platformers. The 3rd button placement on iPad is nearly in the middle of the screen, making it really awkward to play when it's needed. A lot of plain as day glitches makes me feel like it wasn't tested very thoroughly (Infested achievement popping up continuously, getting stuck to boxes and having to start over). Those things can be fixed, but even then I just blew through half the game in about half an hour and haven't been challenged at all mentally by this "puzzle" platformer.

I would add Heroes and Castles, because at the very least it seems like a lot of GAF'ers have enjoyed it so far. I've only played a few levels so I don't have much of an opinion yet.

I despise Time Surfers.
Wasn't a huge fan of either myself, since you're not the first I've heard disliking them they've been unceremoniously removed from the OP. :)

Seems like this has been the worst month since I started last April. I guess that's to be expected given the glut of good games that were released in Nov/Dec.

To be expected really, New Years lull.

PFD

For those who are in Canada, both Futureshop and Best Buy are selling $60 itunes gift cards for $48 (retail only.) The sale ends January 24th.

heringer

Of all the games mentioned this month, Heroes & Castles is easily the best, in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom