• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad Mini

shwimpy

Those of you getting iPad Mini, which color are you going with and why? Which kind of apps will be your primary ones? Will it become your game hub? Maybe your notepad? Reader perhaps?
White
iBooks/Kindle/Safari/Youtube/Netflix
No (occasional puzzle games)
Yes, will use it to note take during work meetings.
Will mainly read on it.

Pachimari

White
iBooks/Kindle/Safari/Youtube/Netflix
No (occasional puzzle games)
Yes, will use it to note take during work meetings.
Will mainly read on it.
How do you feel about watching Netflix movies on a white iOS device? I have never had a white one before an fear it'll distract me while watching movies with borders or while reading at night with no light sources.

I'll also be using it for reading, note taking and writing on PDFs and such. The iPad 2 or 4 will be my game hub.

BigDes

How do you feel about watching Netflix movies on a white iOS device? I have never had a white one before an fear it'll distract me while watching movies with borders or while reading at night with no light sources.

I'll also be using it for reading, note taking and writing on PDFs and such. The iPad 2 or 4 will be my game hub.

On my white 3rd generation ipad (apple you motherfuckers) I don't even notice the bezel when watching movies/tv/reading books and the mini barely has a bezel so I'm not sure the colour will be too bothersome.

Although I will likely get a black mini

That is one of my concerns as well. I figure I will just exchange it if it does appear to be too much of a distraction. I do think that the aspect ratio of the iPad Mini will make it a much better document reader than 16:9 mini tablets...

Jswanko

Those of you getting iPad Mini, which color are you going with and why? Which kind of apps will be your primary ones? Will it become your game hub? Maybe your notepad? Reader perhaps?

Black. I prefer it for the edges of the screen (less distracting I think) and I really like the slate colored back on it. Using it mainly as a web surfing, netflix watching, pdf editing machine.

LCfiner

I had a white ipad 2. I didn't think it was a problem for video. especially in low lit rooms, the white border wasn't distracting at all.

My own personal issue with the thick white bezel is that the small gap between the screen and glass produces a black edge around the screen so there's no way to pretend there's a seamless transition from bezel to content. with the black bezel, this gap just looks like it's part of the bezel.

that's the main reason I got a black ipad 3. once the ipad moves to a laminated screen like iphone 5, this issue will be pretty much gone.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I want the white, but the black's slate backing convinced me otherwise. It looks too good.
If it's the same backing as the iPhone 5 black, then it shouldn't scrape and scratch.

I pretty much use it at home 90% of the time for mostly web browsing, notes, misc apps.
I hardly use my laptop anymore.

It's also a handy Remote Viewer to my desktop at work so I can do some things quicker on the local drive.

I had a white ipad 2. I didn't think it was a problem for video. especially in low lit rooms, the white border wasn't distracting at all.

My own personal issue with the thick white bezel is that the small gap between the screen and glass produces a black edge around the screen so there's no way to pretend there's a seamless transition from bezel to content. with the black bezel, this gap just looks like it's part of the bezel.

that's the main reason I got a black ipad 3. once the ipad moves to a laminated screen like iphone 5, this issue will be pretty much gone.

The iPad Mini has a laminated screen. Do you think that will minimize the gap?

Do we know what time pre-orders open tomorrow? Is it at midnight? My wife has been wanting one of these for years (she didn't like the size of the iPad), so she's super excited about this. The more I look at it, the more I want to ditch my Nexus (which I've been somewhat disappointed with) and get this.

I'm leaning toward keeping my iPad 3 almost entirely as my portfolio and for showing design comps to clients, and using the Mini as my everyday driver. The fact that I can get my existing tablet applications and not have to relearn a whole new OS just to enjoy the smaller form factor is certainly appealing to me.

LCfiner

The iPad Mini has a laminated screen. Do you think that will minimize the gap?

yeah, I think it will reduce it. I had a white 4S and thought the gap around the screen was not as pronounced as the ipad 2 gap. but that might be more a function of the screen size.

Anyway, it's not like I felt that gap was awful. It just stood out a bit when reading mostly white webpages (white content, thin black border, white frame).

Nether!

I've been excited about the iPad mini for a while as I always felt the iPad was too large.
I think I'll be getting the black one, not sure though, I'll have to take a closer look.
Mainly I'll be using it as a note pad and a paper replacement for on stage and script readings.

jbueno

The more I see it, the more I toy with the idea of getting the iPad Mini. It would be perfect to use for reading documents and medical apps on my Medical Residency that I begin next March, though I´d best wait for impressions. Didn´t really like the Nexus and Kindle Fire HD for the brief time I sampled each of them.

Vyer

Its weird, I actually like that small black border. It's like a very sharp frame and I dig it. This iPhone is the only white apple product I've had and I thought it might bother me but nope.

NZer

For those bagging on people who use an ipad to take pictures, do you realise that for older people with visual difficulties it's much easier to see on a 10" (or here 7") viewfinder? Several members of my family in my parents' generation and older use it for that reason.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
For those bagging on people who use an ipad to take pictures, do you realise that for older people with visual difficulties it's much easier to see on a 10" (or here 7") viewfinder? Several members of my family in my parents' generation and older use it for that reason.

Sounds like assholes.

Pachimari

Looking at the images on apple.com, the white one really looks like it have the black border. I'm now considering the black one again lol.

Pachimari

I guess I'll go black as usual as well.

Black iPhone, 3GS, 4, 4,S and 5. Black iPad and iPad 2. It'll be black iPad Mini and iPad 4 I guess.

massively insecure, a photo is a photo...i use whatever is conveniently at hand.

It's funny to me how price sensitive people seem to be about the Mini.

It's $30 more for 16gb that what was widely expected which is half a new release game and $100 or so away from its direct rival which to me is the difference between skipping Friday night after work drinks one week.

If its something you'd use daily then it would bug me more using a "worse" device more than its dollar value.

It's funny to me how price sensitive people seem to be about the Mini.

It's $30 more for 16gb that what was widely expected which is half a new release game and $100 or so away from its direct rival which to me is the difference between skipping Friday night after work drinks one week.

If its something you'd use daily then it would bug me more using a "worse" device more than its dollar value.

I agree. I do not think this $330 price will keep the iPad mini selling crazy. I do think it will keep it from utterly destroying the 7" tablet market. The $330 price at least allows $199 tablets to exist for a smaller crowd that does not wish to spend a lot of money primarily. This isn't good for app developers because cheap customers are not what you want.

If the iPad mini black/slate looks anything like the black/slate iPod touch, it's going to look really nice in person.

I normally buy black, but am going white for this one. The black aluminum backing of the black model looks like it will scratch easily.

I will use mine mostly for plant and animal identification and other naturalist apps (astronomy, weather, etc). With the 4G coverage I will be able to collect data on location/date of sightings for seasonal wildflowers, insects, etc. The camera also allows me to photograph unknown specimens for later identification.

I'll also use it as a reader, and for geocaching. Oh, and for looking like an asshole of course! :)

Pretty cool uses right there.

Bumhead

Banned
I think I'm going to pick up a Mini but not sure what colour yet. I love the idea of the slate back but I've also never had a white iOS product before so fancy the change, having previously liked friends' white iPhones and iPad's.

Definitely going to use mine for gaming. The more established environment for gaming on iOS is pretty much the major reason why I'm prepared to pay £70 more for an iPad Mini than getting a Nexus 7.

Talon

It's a first gen product, and Apple is a hardware company. They're not going to subsidize something down to $249 for the sake of marketshare. They have never, ever done that. They're going to make high margins on the initial run and cut the price in the next round if it behooves them.

If the iPad mini black/slate looks anything like the black/slate iPod touch, it's going to look really nice in person.

Pretty cool uses right there.

Thanks! I will be able to replace over 60 pounds of guide books with something that weights less than half a pound! I can also keep much more detailed records.

Naturalist apps are kind of amazing. I use one on guided bird walks, coupled with a portable speaker. If we are having a tough time finding birds I can play bird calls on my iphone/ipad and get birds to come investigate! :)

Apath

I kind of want one, but I also feel there will be a revision in no time with it selling like hot cakes. I will just wait and see, and play it by ear.

Thanks! I will be able to replace over 60 pounds of guide books with something that weights less than half a pound! I can also keep much more detailed records.

Naturalist apps are kind of amazing. I use one on guided bird walks, coupled with a portable speaker. If we are having a tough time finding birds I can play bird calls on my iphone/ipad and get birds to come investigate! :)

you are awesome.
Geocaching with ipad mini could make for great paperless caching.

you are awesome.
Geocaching with ipad mini could make for great paperless caching.

it is pretty awesome on the iphone, but I don't think groundspeak has released an ipad app yet. :(

(side note) I am leading a group of Girl Scouts on a geocaching event. I had not used a basic gps unit in years and was shocked by how terrible the entire experience is compared to geocaching on a smartphone. Tiny screen, terrible UI, and just all around dreadful.....

Blackhead

Redarse
it is pretty awesome on the iphone, but I don't think groundspeak has released an ipad app yet. :(

(side note) I am leading a group of Girl Scouts on a geocaching event. I had not used a basic gps unit in years and was shocked by how terrible the entire experience is compared to geocaching on a smartphone. Tiny screen, terrible UI, and just all around dreadful.....

Could you share a list of the apps you use?

Appleman

I just brought me dedicated GPS hiking the other day because I didn't have a paper map of the trail and boy was it an awful, awful experience. I'd forgotten how bad they were. UI was even in Comic Sans

I have a geocaching magellan handheld that I use. Works great in the rain/humid climate of Georgia summers :)

User interface is so not well thought out.
They never have been though.

So have they tweaked iOS at all for the smaller screen or is it just the same text size, icons, keyboard on a smaller screen?

I guess its ok for people who really care about PPI but I don't have the best eyes in the world and don't want to be squinting at every little thing because it was originally designed for a larger screen.

Its doesn't seem like a very "apple" thing to do.

Same thing happened when I picked up a cheap psp go. Text just became harder to read because it was meant for a slightly larger screen.

Could you share a list of the apps you use?

Moon
nature tap
Leaf Snap
Star Walk
Tree Book
Geocaching
Peak.ar
Chirp
Knots
itrack wildlife
Audubon wildflowers
Audubon Butterflies
" mammals
" fish
" mushrooms
" trees
" birds
" reptiles & amphibians
" owls
" insects
Theodolite
Peterson Feeder birds
backyard Scat (yes, i have a poop database app)
coton (great cloud id app)
imushroom browser
Raptors
animal sounds
Wild berries & herbs
herptileid

That is about all of the ones i can think of at the moment. :)

Why do people give a fuck about android tablet specs? Outside of gameloft stuff, are there that many hardware pushing games or software on the apps?

Is unreal 3 android supported?

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
I really like the look of the black one.

The iPhone 5 in black is so nice in real life, I have a feeling this will be the same.

Blackhead

Redarse
Moon
nature tap
Leaf Snap
Star Walk
Tree Book
Geocaching
Peak.ar
Chirp
Knots
itrack wildlife
Audubon wildflowers
Audubon Butterflies
" mammals
" fish
" mushrooms
" trees
" birds
" reptiles & amphibians
" owls
" insects
Theodolite
Peterson Feeder birds
backyard Scat (yes, i have a poop database app)
coton (great cloud id app)
imushroom browser
Raptors
animal sounds
Wild berries & herbs
herptileid

That is about all of the ones i can think of at the moment. :)
Thanks!

sfog

So have they tweaked iOS at all for the smaller screen or is it just the same text size, icons, keyboard on a smaller screen?

I guess its ok for people who really care about PPI but I don't have the best eyes in the world and don't want to be squinting at every little thing because it was originally designed for a larger screen.

Its doesn't seem like a very "apple" thing to do.

Same thing happened when I picked up a cheap psp go. Text just became harder to read because it was meant for a slightly larger screen.

I'm pretty sure all the iOS stuff has optional zooming/screen magnification abilities built into the operating system itself.

http://www.apple.com/accessibility/ipad/vision.html

As somebody who is visually impaired, I could certainly see myself using that on certain things, even if it might not be as convenient...

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
So only WiFi ones available on November 2nd?
In UK anyway, the store has added a bit:

Pre-order yours starting October 26.
Or buy the Wi-Fi model at your favourite Apple Retail Store starting at 8:00 a.m. on November 2.
Wi-Fi + Cellular models available late November. Learn more

I was just going to get the WiFi one and tether to my iPhone if ever needed, but hadn't heard of a difference in date before now.

MRORANGE

do pre-orders start at midnight for our region of the world? or do we have to wait for american timezone to reach 00:00?

Husker86

Even the iPhone 5 has that border/gap so I don't know if lamination will remedy that.

Top Bottom