• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad Mini

What's the point of rear facing camera on these tablets? We've agreed long ago that people who use tablets as cameras are assholes.

Going Nexus7

Scanning bar codes for apps like Amazon, Ebay, etc. Showing someone something during a Facetime chat, Some games use the rear camera, taking a picture of a restaurant/hotel for Yelp/Google Local reviews, etc etc.

Cameras are useful, Just because Google ignored this in their race to the bottom doesn't mean that it doesn't have utility.

Gustav

Banned
So we got anyone excited about the iPad Mini in here or am I alone?

I really don't care that it's wider than N7, don't have a Retina and comes with iPad 2 specs. I even have an iPad 2 and is going to buy this iPad Mini for what is a little bit less than $500.

I am pumped. Love the new form factor. It's exactly what I wanted from the mini. I can hold it in one hand and reach the whole on screen keyboard easily.

Funny my N7 doesn't feel like a toy...smh

$329 (cheapest model mind you)for this and people will buy it in droves, disheartening.

Why is it disheartening? The iPad/iPad mini clearly have a vastly superior tablet app advantage. Not even close. So for someone to pay a little more to have a proper tablet is disheartening? Maybe for Google's bottom line.

If anything, the N7 is a glorified, blown up iPod touch.

buhdeh

I am pumped. Love the new form factor. It's exactly what I wanted from the mini. I can hold it in one hand and reach the whole on screen keyboard easily.

You can barely do that on the N7 and it's already much narrower. I highly, highly doubt you'd be able to one hand the device unless they've changed how the keyboard works.

Gaspode_T

I like the crisp white and black of manga on iOS devices with retina but otherwise I would prefer gray e-ink for books and this size device just screams book reader to me. I don't like Kindle Fire either...the gray e-ink of normal Kindle/Nook is godlike

Timbuktu

Funny my N7 doesn't feel like a toy...smh

$329 (cheapest model mind you)for this and people will buy it in droves, disheartening.

They are all toys, really. I don't understand how buying consumer gadgets get spun into something like a moral debate.

Blackhead

Redarse
Sorry, thought he was talking about the 7" form factor since that's the segment the iPad Mini is aimed at (Nook HD/Nexus/Kindle Fire HD/iPad Mini). Not sure why we should compare it to a 9+" tablet.

what 9"+ tablet are we comparing it to?

Dunlop

If anything, the N7 is a glorified, blown up iPod touch.

As an owner of both I was going to ask what you were smoking but seeing how 95% of your posts for the last few months pertain to Apple I'm pretty sure the debate will not go far.

Let's say I strongly disagree with this statement.

Both tablets have their strong points. Had the mini hit $250 my wife would have been receiving it for x-mas, now it will be another N7

dell_9_tablet.jpg

:)

Gustav

Banned
You can barely do that on the N7 and it's already much narrower. I highly, highly doubt you'd be able to one hand the device unless they've changed how the keyboard works.

Sorry, I meant I can do both things but not at once. Currently typing on the iPad 2 with your thumbs is a bitch.

As an owner of both I was going to ask what you were smoking but seeing how 95% of your posts for the last few months pertain to Apple I'm pretty sure the debate will not go far.

Let's say I strongly disagree with this statement.

Both tablets have their strong points. Had the mini hit $250 my wife would have been receiving it for x-mas, now it will be another N7

I was mainly responded to the guy who said it would be "disheartening" for someone to buy a iPad mini or a N7. But that said, I'm totally down to hear from your point of few as to N7's merits (honestly). I would say if someone is just going to use it for email and web browsing then yeah I can see how there wouldn't be much difference...but apps? I don't know. Drop some knowledge on me.

Dunlop

I would say if someone is just going to use it for email and web browsing then yeah I can see how there wouldn't be much difference...but apps? I don't know. Drop some knowledge on me.

Apps is really what it comes down to to justify the "Apple tax". I don't mean this is a negative way, Apple carved out this niche first an a lot of people are pretty heavily invested in IOS, they know this and can profit from it. I do not fault them in the slightest for it as it is up to Google,MS or whoever to change this position.

Concerning the N7, it is practically a loss leader for Google. I have no doubt that it is currently the best back for you buck on a hardware level.

Then it comes down to personal preferences, I think Jelly Bean is pretty awesome (tethering the N7 to my phone and checking the cards in Google now is pretty awesome..or scary with the amount of information out there). At the same time I think that IOS is pretty stale.

But I 100% agree, that for e-mail,social media, browsing there is really no difference between these devices.

As mentioned I wanted to get my wife a mini but because neither of us is really invested in IOS (aside from music on her touch) the price of entry is just crazy verses the competition

buhdeh

I was mainly responded to the guy who said it would be "disheartening" for someone to buy a iPad mini or a N7. But that said, I'm totally down to hear from your point of few as to N7's merits (honestly). I would say if someone is just going to use it for email and web browsing then yeah I can see how there wouldn't be much difference...but apps? I don't know. Drop some knowledge on me.

If you're actually serious I have both and for my usage, I really haven't had many problems with using the N7 over the iPad 3. People complain about stretched phone apps but because of the size of the N7, MOST can actually work very well. I'll give you an example of where the N7 is better than the iPad for me:

Facebook Messenger (iPhone) is horrific on the iPad because it's a shrunken down frame. On the N7, it works great because it actually scales properly and feels great to type on. Of course, it's sort of a double edged sword because you end up with something like Urbanspoon which looks like ass though to be fair it's pretty bad on the iPad as well. And I also have Instagram that works well enough on the N7 compared to none at all on the iPad.

I should also say I'm not a heavy app user and I don't ever download useless website apps (like the verge or engadget apps). I generally have a few essential ones (FB, Twitter, Dropbox, RSS, Reddit) and the rest is filler. Honestly, I don't know where these 100+ app figures come from because I rarely find new things that I end up using a LOT on either my iPad or N7.

Loki

Count of Concision

He corrected my correction of you re: the price of the Nook HD 7" (which I thought you were referring to), so I assumed you were talking about the 9" Nook HD+.

Nook HD 7" = $229 (not $269 as in your previous post)

Nook HD+ 9" = $269

The 7" Nook HD is $100 cheaper than the iPad Mini, and has a significantly superior display to boot. The Nook HD+ 9" is also $60 cheaper with a vastly superior display.

I should also say I'm not a heavy app user and I don't ever download useless website apps (like the verge or engadget apps). I generally have a few essential ones (FB, Twitter, Dropbox, RSS, Reddit) and the rest is filler. Honestly, I don't know where these 100+ app figures come from because I rarely find new things that I end up using a LOT on either my iPad or N7.

This is where I think a good amount of divergence between posters in this thread begins.

I just checked my apps count in itunes and I have 119 apps. I use a good number of them on a regular basis, and as such am much more interested in app selection than hardware specs. I can easily see how someone who doesn't have interest in apps would prefer an Adroid tablet...

buhdeh

This is where I think a good amount of divergence between posters in this thread begins.

I just checked my apps count in itunes and I have 119 apps. I use a good number of them on a regular basis, and as such am much more interested in app selection than hardware specs. I can easily see how someone who doesn't have interest in apps would prefer an Adroid tablet...

I don't actually prefer one over the other for tablets (though I definitely prefer Android on the phone because I can access information much quicker). My motivation for using the N7 is mostly cause it's smaller and MUCH MUCH easier to type on because of how I can hold it almost like a phone. If you gave me an N7 or an iPad mini, I wouldn't really care which I had to use.

Shai-Tan

Banned

I think those web site apps like The Verge only have a leg to stand on because (a) tablets are still a little slow cpu wise and lacking in ram which hinders the browsing experience (b) there are still a lot of desktop sites without a good mobile version, or are just terrible performing, even on the desktop (like The Verge)

I get a little annoyed now with sites like imdb asking if I want to launch app especially when it's lacking basic stuff on the web site.

Blackhead

Redarse
lol

He corrected my correction of you re: the price of the Nook HD 7" (which I thought you were referring to), so I assumed you were talking about the 9" Nook HD+.

Nook HD 7" = $229 (not $269 as in your previous post)

Nook HD+ 9" = $269

The 7" Nook HD is $100 cheaper than the iPad Mini, and has a significantly superior display to boot. The Nook HD+ 9" is also $60 cheaper with a vastly superior display.
The Nook HD+ is not " 9"+ ". I don't understand where your confusion is coming from when in the very quote you used I made it clear I was talking about 16:10 8.9" Android tablets:

Greyface said:
reached any consumers' hands which change the value proposition.

Furthermore, the iPad mini isn't in the same class of tablet as the Nexus 7. The Nexus 7 fits in a jacket or jeans pocket which the iPad Mini doesn't; one is properly portable while the other isn't. The proper comparisons that should be made to the 4:3 7.9" iPad Mini are the 16:10 8.9" Android tablets like the Galaxy Tab 8.9. Even then the iPad Mini will have competition from the likes of the Kindle Fire HD 8.9 and the Nook HD+. The Nook HD+ will be in stores on November 1st with a 'retina-class' display and 16GB for $269. It won't feel right for me buying the first generation iPad mini for family and friends this holiday season when all they want to do is browse the web, read books, and check email, facebook and twitter when the Nook HD+ can do all that satisfactorily with a much better screen
The Nook HD is actually $229 (not $269) for the 16GB model, versus $329 for the 16GB iPad Mini.

I explained why I prefer to make the comparison between the iPad Mini and those tablets instead of the Nexus7. For further illustrative purposes:

Daringfireball said:
Screen Size Comparison of Various Tablets, Including the Purported 7.85-inch iPad

Nice work by “Trojan Kitten”.
@trojankitten said:
Hi, tech blogs who call iPad mini a "7 inch tablet" & can't do your math right. I made you this:

MoNdP.png

MikeCane said:
Photos: More iPad Mini Size Comparisons

Here it is next to the (discontinued?) Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9:
dqwFe.jpg

What’s interesting is that the screen width matches that of the iPad Mini.
l98RR.jpg

The length, however, is different. I really liked the size and feel of the Tab 8.9 when I encountered it several months ago.
(NB: ignore the bezel sizes in that Galaxy tab comparison as Apple bucked expectations and chose smaller bezels than initially expected)

tino

Banned
Guys, I have said many times Apple doesn't compete well in the sub $300, even sub $400 market. Below 300, it's a Chinese ODM blood bath. Apple doesn't want to go there. They will add as many feature/hardware in the gadgets as they have to to keep the retail price close to $500.

Apple has said a few times in the past interviews they want to make a low cost phone that target the oversea prepaid markets. Yet they are not able to, or not willing to.

Between $500-1000, its an Apple heaven, they dominate the various markets and can sell whatever iStuff they put out.

Guys, I have said many times Apple doesn't compete well in the sub $300, even sub $400 market. Below 300, it's a Chinese ODM blood bath. Apple doesn't want to go there. They will add as many feature/hardware in the gadgets as they have to to keep the retail price close to $500.

Apple has said a few times in the past interviews they want to make a low cost phone that target the oversea prepaid markets. Yet they are not able to, or not willing to.

Between $500-1000, its an Apple heaven, they dominate the various markets and can sell whatever iStuff they put out.

That and the tablets people are comparing it to are being sold at cost or as loss leaders. People expecting a $200 ipad are crazy...

What's the deal with the Red smart cover? On all the promo material it says Red (Product), and it's separated from the rest. Is it limited or something?

RevDM

Banned
Scanning bar codes for apps like Amazon, Ebay, etc. Showing someone something during a Facetime chat, Some games use the rear camera, taking a picture of a restaurant/hotel for Yelp/Google Local reviews, etc etc.

Cameras are useful, Just because Google ignored this in their race to the bottom doesn't mean that it doesn't have utility.

Scanning bar codes at the store with your tablet is equally, if not more, assholish than taking pictures with a tablet.

Yes, you can do all those things. But you will look like an asshole.

By some games using a rear facing camera, you're probably thinking of 1 or 2 games you might ever play on this tablets lifetime that uses a rear facing camera.

Finally, you can just turn your tablet around and show the person what you wanted to show. All in all, a rear facing camera in a tablet is pointless, and using it makes you an asshole.

mrkgoo

Scanning bar codes at the store with your tablet is equally, if not more, assholish than taking pictures with a tablet.

By some games using a rear facing camera, you're probably thinking of 1 or 2 games you might ever play on this tablets lifetime that uses a rear facing camera.

Finally, you can just turn your tablet around and show the person what you wanted to show. All in all, a rear facing camera in a tablet is pointless, and using it makes you an asshole.

Turning your tablet around to show someone something in facetime is better than just having a camera on the other side?

My parents loved the iPad camera. It was a terrible camera, but it was useful. They'd just use it to email pics of things to me or whatever. It's just a matter of convenience. Your main device can take pictures. Beats taking a snap with another device and uploading it to email. It's like snapping stuff with your webcam just to show someone something.

I agree people with tablets using them as cameras while on trips looks hilarious, but that's just the way it is now.

Oh come on. You're stretching now. You said there was no use for them. I list them, and the best you can come up with is that using it makes you an asshole?

Google Goggles, Google Skymap, Layar, Wikitude, etc are all useful AR apps that take advantage of rear cameras. They have utility, even if you don't care to use them.

Appleman

I'm shocked people are so against a rear facing camera in a tablet. Who cares what you look like? Taking a picture or video with an 8"-10" viewfinder is kind of nice actually, and it's great for FaceTime, judgmental spectators be damned!

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Oh come on. You're stretching now. You said there was no use for them. I list them, and the best you can come up with is that using it makes you an asshole?

Google Goggles, Google Skymap, Layar, Wikitude, etc are all useful AR apps that take advantage of rear cameras. They have utility, even if you don't care to use them.

Yup, he's just trolling like an idiot now.
He also ignored my post with other uses of the camera like direct uploading of pictures for eBay auctions, "photo scanning" (like with Genius Scan), etc.

KtSlime

Why would you only scan bar codes at a store? And sure, it is a bit clumsy to haul your iPad to the store to scan things, but how does that make you an asshole?

RevDM

Banned

Yes, you can use it for all those things. I'm not denying it. I'm just saying it makes you an asshole. If you are walking in downtown for example, and you have the option of pulling out your convenient hand held phone and nonchalantly using it to to scan a barcode, map the nearest restaurant, or take a picture of a building... or busting out your tablet and awkwardly two handedly tapping things into it like a star trek PADD, why not use the phone and spare yourself from looking like...

an asshole.

Tablets are not an accessory like your cell phone is. You use tablets when it's convenient, like on the toilet, at your desk, on the airplane, in bed... etc. If you meet up with your friends for lunch, and bust out your tablet for some reason, guess what... you're an... well you know.

I'm shocked people are so against a rear facing camera in a tablet. Who cares what you look like? Taking a picture or video with an 8"-10" viewfinder is kind of nice actually, and it's great for FaceTime, judgmental spectators be damned!

Remember when the original iPad came out and critics were all over Apple for NOT including a camera? It's funny how the goal line can shift at times.

Alchemy

I think a rear facing camera on the full sized iPad is silly, but it makes total sense on the mini. We already have giant phones that have them, the mini isn't much worse.

I love people who snap photos with the ipad - I think they honestly believe the entire back is a camera or something. First time seeing it was on holiday, ridiculous.

Yes, you can use it for all those things. I'm not denying it. I'm just saying it makes you an asshole. If you are walking in downtown for example, and you have the option of pulling out your convenient hand held phone and nonchalantly using it to to scan a barcode, map the nearest restaurant, or take a picture of a building... or busting out your tablet and awkwardly two handedly tapping things into it like a star trek PADD, why not use the phone and spare yourself from looking like...

an asshole.

Tablets are not an accessory like your cell phone is. You use tablets when it's convenient, like on the toilet, at your desk, on the airplane, in bed... etc. If you meet up with your friends for lunch, and bust out your tablet for some reason, guess what... you're an... well you know.

Somehow I will be able to live with the knowledge that you think I am an asshole for wanting to use a tablet in public.

Today I learned people are assholes for quietly using their slightly less portable devices in the public where others might happen to notice them holding it.

Pachimari

Those of you getting iPad Mini, which color are you going with and why? Which kind of apps will be your primary ones? Will it become your game hub? Maybe your notepad? Reader perhaps?

Those of you getting iPad Mini, which color are you going with and why? Which kind of apps will be your primary ones? Will it become your game hub? Maybe your notepad? Reader perhaps?

I normally buy black, but am going white for this one. The black aluminum backing of the black model looks like it will scratch easily.

I will use mine mostly for plant and animal identification and other naturalist apps (astronomy, weather, etc). With the 4G coverage I will be able to collect data on location/date of sightings for seasonal wildflowers, insects, etc. The camera also allows me to photograph unknown specimens for later identification.

I'll also use it as a reader, and for geocaching. Oh, and for looking like an asshole of course! :)

Pachimari

I normally buy black, but am going white for this one. The black aluminum backing of the black model looks like it will scratch easily.

I will use mine mostly for plant and animal identification and other naturalist apps (astronomy, weather, etc). With the 4G coverage I will be able to collect data on location/date of sightings for seasonal wildflowers, insects, etc. The camera also allows me to photograph unknown specimens for later identification.

I'll also use it as a reader, and for geocaching. Oh, and for looking like an asshole of course! :)
I really like this reply. More of this in this thread please people.

I am leaning toward white as well. Even though I have a black iPhone 5, I think the black doesn't look good on the backside of the iPad mini. Of course black is kind of the safe way though.

Top Bottom