• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King of Fighters XIV |OT| ¡VIVA REY DE DINOSAURIOS!

The way people find tech and counters these days has nothing to do with how it was done in MvC2 days. There is zero sense in letting shit like Nak bird cling rock as is.
The quicker they act on it the sooner players can go back to learning the overall game instead of having to focus on learning tech and strats that only pertain to dealing with a single character and might end up not mattering post patch.

And as usual all talk of Nak having weaknesses that might appear out of thin air and adapting is vague at best meanwhile the things pointed out as being issues with Nak are specifically mentioned and well-documented.

BadWolf

Man that bird cling is so dumb. Fully invincible on the way up, the drop kick is positive on block and lets her land a full combo on hit.

And the most people will be able punish her with usually, if at all, is hit her with a normal out of the air.

Anywhere I can find a video or text guide on how to play Geese, Terry, or Athena? Thanks!

Keep your eye on this channel, he is creating a quick starter guide for each character. He hasn't gotten to your characters yet but should soon.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
General stuff I'd like to see shifted a bit (probably mostly buffs, lol.)

Tung's Senpu-Ken air special should become a better crossup. It can whiff, by not spinning to hit at the right time, before he hits the ground, and it doesn't have enough hitstun to lead to combos unless hit late on a crouching opponent. Increase it's advantage on hit, and make it's attack boxes more consistent.

Make Vice's overhead special-cancellable on normal hit, like Nelsons. I still think having Splash and Gorefest motions overlap between the proper move and a "Longcut" is pretty stupid. Fit this somehow... I'd even accept Gorefest being moved to K rather than P. Make Deicide cause Chip / guard damage, so she's not as easily zoned into uselessness.

Return Maxima's full body GP on his EX Double Vapor Cannon. Why does KoD have anti-sweep guardpoint on cr.C, yet Maxima doesn't even have it on an EXDM?

Give Kensou the ability to combo out of EX Ryuusou-Geki again. You can't super cancel it, and it leaves you in a bad position even on hit. Make the move more worthwhile! His target combo was more reliable than his weak attacks into command normal actually, might want to give it back to him. Increase the use of come of his normals.

Clark MIGHT need to combo into his Stomp Command normal off heavies. It'd make him more appealing. Make regular SABB or Flashing Elbow Super Cancelable. Even Vice can get super cancel combs of EX Gorefest, Goro and Ramon can, Athena's grapple leads into everything...

Sylvie's Denki-Kaji should have attack box in the arc, as well as on the ground portion, to serve as a better predictive anti-air for far jumps. Her command normals should get a new look at for viability; At least make 1 stronger in some way. Giving her a far-cancelable heavy spacing normal would help her MAX mode combos and general play a lot. I'd actually like to see her Jump C made into a reliable crossup. Magneto Trapo actually kinda sucks as a follow-up to anti-air counter hits. This could be adjusted with either faster start-up, or a taller "capture" box, at least when canceled into.

Overall, distribute interesting properties to more characters. Some "C" and "A" versions of moves could use more separation. Some grapple-focus characters have weaker grapples than non-grappling teleporting psychic girls. There are a few characters who could probably use a new ground / air normal or command normal (This isn't impossible either, KI 2013 does stuff like this all the time.)

I'm happy with Zarina, lol. Everything she has as a weakness seems offset by some other really strong thing, and I like her normals more and more. Her Stand far C and B are a BIT too similar, but that's not really a huge issue. She's my favorite MAX / HD mode fisher in the entire series at this point, I accept all her weaknesses in order to maintain this fun strength, heh heh.

He should just tag SNK accounts when he posts these things really. Too many people probably don't want to RT because they're worried about making the game look bad.
God I hope people aren't gonna let this shit fly. I'd love more input on this from other players and such, but not getting this fixed is how games die.

Amedo310

God I hope people aren't gonna let this shit fly. I'd love more input on this from other players and such, but not getting this fixed is how games die.

I'm kinda finding relatable stuff.

I just tested out Kyo and Benimaru and some of their normals get them out of the corner if they are hit doing their attack. All of them were tested by using Kyo's j. B. His J. A works too, but j. B is a lot easier.

Kyo:

cr. C - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiVTBQcjeFw

cl. B - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juXBhgQpVXU

Benimaru:

Far B: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEDjtLDNZoo

cr. D: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdHM-G8P3E4

His cr. C is affected as well.

All of the normals in the videos seem to move their heads moving forward. That's the only similarity I found so far.

Loona

He should just tag SNK accounts when he posts these things really. Too many people probably don't want to RT because they're worried about making the game look bad.

Just not the official SNK accounts, but the actual dev accounts, since those occasionally reply and retweet stuff on occasion.

BadWolf

More character tidbits from the artbook by coder2121:

Antonov
"'Without his success, there is no success for KOF.' Out of the 50 characters, he is the most time we've spent selecting the right voice actor. He's the self-proclaimed first KOF champion, but down-to-earth and relatable. The voice actor was able to really bring out Antonov's personality and nuances." - Asanaka

Geese
"Same with Terry, Geese is a character that has a special place in the hearts of the Fatal Fury staff. We meticulously worked on the design, movements, and model. Geese has a different face every series, so there was no one correct image to work from, which complicated things. The modelers and motion capture team all worked hard and we're very pleased with the results." - Kuroki

Kula
"The blades on Kula's shoes only appear during her dash and heavy kick. She was the first character that we implemented this technique in, being able to toggle part of her model on/off in the engine. At that time, I figured the game designers could just create such extra parts and we'd be able to implement them no problem - aside from weapon-wielding characters. But KOF has many characters with unique traits, so it wasn't that easy." - Ando

Meitenkun
"We had this idea of making the character bilingual between Chinese and Japanese. In that sense, we had a hard time finding the right voice actor. But in the end, we found an awesome voice actor that was able to bring that character to life the way we wanted. Also, when we were working on him, we felt rather sleepy! Hehe." - Asanaka

Mian
"Mian's sound effects use a collection of ethnic instruments. It's not anything new, but I think it's the first time we were this diligent about it. Visually and audibly, she came out pretty unique." - Asanaka

Sylvie
"Like with Shun'ei, we had a younger designer create Sylvie instead of Ogura. I didn't mind that it didn't fit my idea of KOF, and I felt that the young designer was able to bring a fresh, new design to the table. It's really rare when we all agree on a concept, design, model, and animations of the character. But with Sylvie, I felt like that all came together. Kula and Sylvie's storyline is a must-watch. I enjoyed it." - Kuroki

Jeez, this guy is such a drama queen.

People post glitches and whatnot but from all the tournaments we have seen so far, has even one of them been a factor in real play?

The stuff needs to be addressed sure but lets not go overboard.

Return Maxima's full body GP on his EX Double Vapor Cannon. Why does KoD have anti-sweep guardpoint on cr.C, yet Maxima doesn't even have it on an EXDM

That EX super didn't have guardpoint at all in XIII, it had full body invincibility and a 3 frame start up though lol. Damn it was good there.

Lack of lower body guard point has been a deliberate aspect/weakness of Maxima for a while now. Even in XIII the only ground move to have upper and lower body guard point was the EX anti-air grab.

His target combo was more reliable than his weak attacks into command normal actually, might want to give it back to him. Increase the use of come of his normals.

Dunno man, it's more reliable than a link and lets him follow up with pretty much anything after. Being able to use the overhead raw is also a huge plus over his XIII version. One thing that does throw me off is the loss of his high jump arc.

I'm happy with Zarina, lol. Everything she has as a weakness seems offset by some other really strong thing, and I like her normals more and more. Her Stand far C and B are a BIT too similar, but that's not really a huge issue. She's my favorite MAX / HD mode fisher in the entire series at this point, I accept all her weaknesses in order to maintain this fun strength, heh heh.

I'm very happy with her as well, she's often a regular on my team. She's really good but at the same time has very clear weaknesses. She and Kukri are my most used newcomers so far, and Meitenkun.

Tripon

Antonov
"'Without his success, there is no success for KOF.' Out of the 50 characters, he is the most time we've spent selecting the right voice actor. He's the self-proclaimed first KOF champion, but down-to-earth and relatable. The voice actor was able to really bring out Antonov's personality and nuances." - Asanaka

Geese
"Same with Terry, Geese is a character that has a special place in the hearts of the Fatal Fury staff. We meticulously worked on the design, movements, and model. Geese has a different face every series, so there was no one correct image to work from, which complicated things. The modelers and motion capture team all worked hard and we're very pleased with the results." - Kuroki

Kula
"The blades on Kula's shoes only appear during her dash and heavy kick. She was the first character that we implemented this technique in, being able to toggle part of her model on/off in the engine. At that time, I figured the game designers could just create such extra parts and we'd be able to implement them no problem - aside from weapon-wielding characters. But KOF has many characters with unique traits, so it wasn't that easy." - Ando

Meitenkun
"We had this idea of making the character bilingual between Chinese and Japanese. In that sense, we had a hard time finding the right voice actor. But in the end, we found an awesome voice actor that was able to bring that character to life the way we wanted. Also, when we were working on him, we felt rather sleepy! Hehe." - Asanaka

Mian
"Mian's sound effects use a collection of ethnic instruments. It's not anything new, but I think it's the first time we were this diligent about it. Visually and audibly, she came out pretty unique." - Asanaka

Sylvie
"Like with Shun'ei, we had a younger designer create Sylvie instead of Ogura. I didn't mind that it didn't fit my idea of KOF, and I felt that the young designer was able to bring a fresh, new design to the table. It's really rare when we all agree on a concept, design, model, and animations of the character. But with Sylvie, I felt like that all came together. Kula and Sylvie's storyline is a must-watch. I enjoyed it." - Kuroki

People post glitches and whatnot but from all the tournaments we have seen so far, has even one of them been a factor in real play?

That EX super didn't have guardpoint at all in XIII, it had full body invincibility and a 3 frame start up though lol. Damn it was good there.

Lack of lower body guard point has been a deliberate aspect/weakness of Maxima for a while now. Even in XIII the only ground move to have upper and lower body guard point was the EX anti-air grab.

Dunno man, it's more reliable than a link and lets him follow up with pretty much anything after. Being able to use the overhead raw is also a huge plus over his XIII version. One thing that does throw me off is the loss of his high jump arc.

I'm very happy with her as well, she's often a regular on my team. She's really good but at the same time has very clear weaknesses. She and Kukri are my most used newcomers so far, and Meitenkun.
I have never heard of the rule of no cross ups in the corner for KOF.

Neoxon

Antonov

Geese

Kula

Meitenkun

Mian

Sylvie

Reading stuff like that, it makes me wonder why they didn't just pull a Tekken & hire voice actors appropriate to the characters' respective nationalities (Ex: Portuguese for Team South America, English for Team Fatal Fury & South Town, Japanese for Team Japan, Chinese for Team China, etc.). I suppose it's for the sake of tradition (which I can understand), but still.

Numb

Reading stuff like that, it makes me wonder why they didn't just pull a Tekken & hire voice actors appropriate to the characters' respective nationalities (Ex: Portuguese for Team South America, English for Team Fatal Fury & South Town, Japanese for Team Japan, Chinese for Team China, etc.). I suppose it's for the sake of tradition (which I can understand), but still.
It would even be more fitting for KOF than Tekken since these are teams who are straight up named after countries and regions

Hyun Sai

I also think Sie Kensou is in a good spot right now. Feels very balanced. I don't think he needs anything.

No complaints about Terry either. Even if he lost the cross up, the fact that the Burning knuckle and Crack shot are so much better and that his MAX mode conversion from lights is so good make him a way better character than his XIII iteration. I no longer feel crippled playing him.

My last character is Mai so obviously no complaints lol. The fact that I mained her in XIII helps a lot ah ah.

EDIT : On stream now, Lacid's Verse is becoming terrifying...

EDIT 2 : Athena needs to lose this dumb invulnerability on command grab, what the hell ?

Him quitting KOF over it is real stupid, but someone posted a case of it at EVO:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0z0touNGs3M&feature=youtu.be&t=5685

Whether or not it's related is anyone's guess, since it'd have to be replicated. More people should talk about this to get the conversation started about how big it'll impact the scene, but either way, attention should be brought to SNK.

I have never heard of the rule of no cross ups in the corner for KOF.

It's always been a thing, the only exception that wasn't some bug used to be backturned knockdowns, but we don't even have those anymore. Other than that if you moved even one pixel out of the corner you could get crossed up but never if you were actually all the way back.

BadWolf

Slightly off-topic-ish, but Terry's Death Battle preview is up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDBimI68vyc
Looks like they're focusing more on the anime stuff, which shouldn't hurt his chances against Ken.

Nice.

Whether or not it's related is anyone's guess, since it'd have to be replicated. More people should talk about this to get the conversation started about how big it'll impact the scene, but either way, attention should be brought to SNK.

They are currently working on the balancing and fixes for the patch so hopefully they see it. But yeah, the way he is acting is silly.

It's always been a thing, the only exception that wasn't some bug used to be backturned knockdowns, but we don't even have those anymore. Other than that if you moved even one pixel out of the corner you could get crossed up but never if you're actually all the way back.

There were also special situations like Mai, King etc. being able to cross up the opponent in XIII after a regular throw into the corner and then rolling. Maxima could also do funky cross ups with his EX air vapor canon after the wall slam of his command throw in XIII (did it in real matches, felt so good).

There were also special situations like Mai, King etc. being able to cross up the opponent in XIII after a regular throw into the corner and then rolling. Maxima could also do funky cross ups with his EX air vapor canon after the wall slam of his command throw in XIII (did it in real matches, felt so good).

I remember the rolls for King and Mai but that only worked for a particular player side IIRC. File that under bugs imo.
Didn't wall slam leave them close to but not all the way in the corner if you didn't do the follow-up?

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Atma is a really smart player at dissecting mechanics and stuff.
It's a shame he dropped KOFXIV :(

BadWolf

I remember the rolls for King and Mai but that only worked for a particular player side IIRC. File that under bugs imo.
Didn't wall slam leave them close to but not all the way in the corner if you didn't do the follow-up?

Most of this stuff is glitches usually.

Maxima's was a legit cross up 'exploit', he could basically force a back turn.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso

Atma is a really smart player at dissecting mechanics and stuff.
It's a shame he dropped KOFXIV :(

I agree with this. He needs to be more responsible with the way he speaks. You can show glitches and things that need to be fixed without a "OMGsoSLOPPYlOlKusoge!" sneer to your typing.

It's not like Desk SF videos don't show off equal amounts of stupid, glitch, or ridiculous looking stuff. Present the data in the right way, and it's a boon to the community + an interesting find, rather than being a smear on the game.

I know he had the full body GP bubble on something else other than his DP. I'm pretty sure it was on some variety of Double Vapor Cannon. Been a while since I played XIII though, I played 2k2UM and 98UM to prepare for XIV.

I could see why they wouldn't want Full Body GP on his normal Double Vapor here (way too easy to negate footsies into DM->EXDM/CDM), but with his increased mechanization, he should have SOME utility that can be used against far lows, even if it's only a limited one. I'm pretty fine with this weakness on his normals (though I'd personally love cr.C to have lower guard point), I just think it's stupid they give the feature to others, and not him. Universally make this a GP weakness, or let him at least get 1 move (Even if it's his CDM) that negates it.

Naaa, the Target had the magic ability of "the far C will always be in perfect range", much like Mai's target combo does here. It's too easy for him to push himself out of proper range with this P command normal, so his confirms don't feel as solid at all, at least for my brother and I. I do think it's great he has a solid, far reaching overhead.

I get enough of high jump arcs between Zarina and Mui^2, so as long as his jump works with Diveattack here, I'm fine with it. Though EX Dive really needs to give frame advantage on hit, especially since it can't be super-canceled out of. That and the way his cross-up hop B work out are the main things I think of when it comes to Kensou jumping. And his solid air CD.

She's my non-Leona Anchor. I love that full Jump B crossup up way better than you'd think it should from odd distances, and hop D is a very confusing-looking hop normal that works as a good opener. In a year that tells me I'll probably never see Elena in SFV, Zarina is such a welcome addition, she might be my FG character of the year.

I think SNK also likes having locally available actors so they can use them for promotions, and have them available for other projects. I'd imagine it'd be much harder to do image CDs, or have them on tap for a mobile of offshoot game if they were an over-seas asset.

Not to mention XIV itself seems to have gotten even more local with it's talent pool, reportedly dropping many classic actors that were at companies further out from their central location. I feel they needed the cheaper-to-access talent to get the amount of VA work they did for this game, too.

I'd love to hear a good multi-cultural cast... but I also love SNK's adherence to it's own engrishy standards, heh heh. I am glad Meitenkun was played by a Chinese voice actress, though!

EDIT 2 : Athena needs to lose this dumb invulnerability on command grab, what the hell ?

Take it off Athena, give it back to grapplers! That's the exact same way Vice's "Blackened" has always worked, and she legit could use it as a way to open/mix people up. Athena doesn't really need a way to help open people up, and she can hurt them very heavily as they try to find their way in.

I think if they took the invuln off Athena's command throw, and just made it so it could be a special free cancel out of her teleport, that'd be a fair trade. I really miss the few Free cancels that XIII had (Chin's just not the exact same without Roll Punch->Free cancel up-kicks!)

Him saying he's done with KOF isn't that big of a deal. He can whine all he wants. I know you compared him to Desk, but when the 8frames stuff dropped for SFV, people railed into (and still rail into) Capcom. I don't think the tone is going to change how the game is perceived because the content is far more important here.

Hyun Sai

https://twitter.com/Alioune85/status/778910056075169792?lang=fr

KoFXIV
S+++Nako
S++ k'
S+ Athena Leona Mature Mai
S Robert Kim Geese Beni Kula Iori Kensou Zarina Luong Iori Yuri King Terry Andy Shun hei

https://twitter.com/Alioune85/status/778910831312527360?lang=fr

"I would put Chin in S as well
Then A+ Vice Kyo Mian Daimon Verse Kod Angel"

Kyamei tier list popped too

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cs83X4qXEAA1SB3.jpg:large

SS : Nakoruru / K'
S : Kim / Leona / Athena / Robert / Mature /Mai / Benimaru / Zarina
A+ : Geese / Verse / Love Heart
A : Iori / Chin / Shun Ei / Dinosaur / Mian / Luong / Kukri

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Tier List

S++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++: Nakoruru
S: K'

F: Everyone else

Iori so good he's SS tier.

Speaking of which, how bad is Iori as a battery? The reddit thing has him primarily as an anchor but I'm not sure if it's like 98 Iori where he works wherever the heck you want him to.
I don't think he can build meter too well. Projectiles don't give much so you'd mostly just use his buttons at point. I could be wrong though, I'm sure someone else can go into more detail

BadWolf

I know he had the full body GP bubble on something else other than his DP. I'm pretty sure it was on some variety of Double Vapor Cannon. Been a while since I played XIII though, I played 2k2UM and 98UM to prepare for XIV.

In XIII his regular DM had the bubble but didn't have low GP. His air EX Vapor Cannon had the bubble and 360 GP. I miss the bubble :/

She's my non-Leona Anchor. I love that full Jump B crossup up way better than you'd think it should from odd distances, and hop D is a very confusing-looking hop normal that works as a good opener. In a year that tells me I'll probably never see Elena in SFV, Zarina is such a welcome addition, she might be my FG character of the year.

Yeah it's funny how we were kind of down on her after the initial reveal (another friggin Capo?!) but she turned out so good in the end, from her personality to her gameplay.

I don't think he can build meter too well. Projectiles don't give much so you'd mostly just use his buttons at point. I could be wrong though, I'm sure someone else can go into more detail

It's not so much that he can't build meter well but rather how much better he is at using it. He can work in any position.

Xevren

I deleted and re-downloaded this game and it still crashes all day, everyday online. It's pathetic.

I pretty much gave up playing online after the firmware update. I dunno what the hell happened between crashes and finding non laggy matches has been annoying as hell since the ps4 update.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I haven't had any problems since the update. Maybe you guys should try rebuilding your PS4 database?

If some just mean the game freezing online, that was happening before the firmware update. It's been much less frequent since they patched the game, though.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Glad you're having a good online experience Lyte!

It's been unplayable for me since release but im ok, i never bought it expeting functional online. #Gotem

Xevren

I haven't had any problems since the update. Maybe you guys should try rebuilding your PS4 database?

If some just mean the game freezing online, that was happening before the firmware update. It's been much less frequent since they patched the game, though.

I'm gonna give that a shot, I absolutely love the game and would like to play some more online. Hope that fixes it.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
It's not so much that he can't build meter well but rather how much better he is at using it. He can work in any position.
Hmm alright, thanks. As I've somehow forgotten how to do his 98 bnb in the last ten years I might experiment with Kula or something instead. Thanks!

Rebuild the database? How does one do that? DO you mean reformatting?

DR2K

Banned
I hope they don't nerf Mai or Mature. Leave Mian alone too. I'm actually able to win matches in a KOF game.

I'm actually interested in learning Mian but I'll probably wait until after the patch to try and go in depth in case she gets hit with that nerf bat.

I hope they don't nerf Mai or Mature. Leave Mian alone too. I'm actually able to win matches in a KOF game.

They might tone down the one derp thing about Mature with the EX dp but I suppose Mai is about where you'd want every character to be ideally.

Just did this and it didn't fix shit. I even deleted and redownloaded the game. This shit is SFV launch bad right now.

Just did this and it didn't fix shit. I even deleted and redownloaded the game. This shit is SFV launch bad right now.

Are you the one hosting? I remember the last time we played you were dropping a lot but when I hosted it seemed to run fine at least on my end. Are you on a wired connection? Because the PS4's wifi is pretty awful. Also are you leaving your PS4 in rest mode and then playing? If so, reboot it. I've heard rest mode can mess up things for several games(Bloodbourne multiplayer used to get messed up for me for example).

Amedo310

Good games. I notice whenever there was a split second of slowdown, online would crash after a match between us. Of course, it happened the matches during as well.

Are you the one hosting? I remember the last time we played you were dropping a lot but when I hosted it seemed to run fine at least on my end. Are you on a wired connection? Because the PS4's wifi is pretty awful. Also are you leaving your PS4 in rest mode and then playing? If so, reboot it. I've heard rest mode can mess up things for several games(Bloodbourne multiplayer used to get messed up for me for example).

I was hosting a couple of matches and Syncere's online still crashed.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had some good matches with someone called Kqsr085(?). I think. Mian gave me a lot of trouble, since I was playing like a dumbass. It was like 15 to 3 or 4. Shun Ei feels awful online.

Just for information, I just heard that several PS4 games got crashing problems since the last firmware update.

Nah, for me it's this one and this game only. I've had 0 issues with any other games that I'm currently playing since the update, which has been about 4-5 other games here and there.

Endless, yeah doesn't matter if I'm the host or the other person. Tho in some cases, me hosting made it last longer, but in others cases, vice-versa, so it's really an outright crapshoot.

And yeah, I've also made sure to close the application out and rebooting since Rest Moding. I did the database rebuild and I've deleted and redownloaded teh game. Only other thing I can possibly think about is perhaps deleting all the data/save files dealing with the game perhaps.

Top Bottom