• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King of Fighters XIV |OT| ¡VIVA REY DE DINOSAURIOS!

this game is best in party vs. shuffle on, people of mixed skill levels. ideally no wait times and no laggers. one lagger can bring the quality down.

Atma just posted what amounts to the reasons why KOF is life:

CtK5a4hWIAATAUQ.jpg:orig

bruh all of this is what makes KOF GREAT and doesn't need to be mitigated in any way

get rid of the free bar upon losing a char too

it shoves it all IN YOUR FACE

like Hein's Climax you are forcefully made to eat the concrete of how ass you are

1240393095655.jpg

it is beautiful

Finally taking the time to get into this, and am loving it. I don't think I realized how much SF5's lack of single player content soured me on the game. If I got my ass kicked online there wasn't a ton to do that interested me except jump back in which led to some rough nights. In this, if I get my ass kicked I can do a quick run through of story mode or mess around with trials that seem to be pretty practical, or play some Party or Single VS, there's just a lot to do to let off some steam that just builds and builds with V.

I used to be pretty heavy into fighters a few years ago, but just don't have time in my life to be too serious about them currently. I was looking to brute force some time with V but that didn't last long, I think XIV may be the game for me instead. Currently rocking a Kukri, Mature and Kim team in that order. It's definitely a learning experience, I tried to get into XIII when it came it out and played 99-02 when I was younger so I have a grasp on the systems, but there's always a lot of decisions to make at once in the neutral and that can kind of be overwhelming. I plan on sticking with it and am trying to find helpful online resources. Are there any dedicated podcasts out there I can listen to while I'm doing some work?

BadWolf

Are there any dedicated podcasts out there I can listen to while I'm doing some work?

Dreamcancel has a podcast but I'm not sure how in depth they go on gameplay discussion.

Tbh the best gameplay related talk takes place on Juicebox's streams, just put a stream archive on in the background and listen away. He does everything from testing and discussing characters to answering gameplay questions and giving advice.

Dreamcancel has a podcast but I'm not sure how in depth they go on gameplay discussion.

Tbh the best gameplay related talk takes place on Juicebox's streams, just put a stream archive on in the background and listen away. He does everything from testing and discussing characters to answering gameplay questions and giving advice.

Thanks, this is exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for.

BadWolf

Via SRK, it seems Orochinagi might have actually sent this embarrassment to SNK.

Hopefully SNK's English translator is away on vacation.

Some gems:

-Max mode too damaging and too frequent for exciting matches
enable max mode only from only normals that cancel to specials
Slower meter fill
lower damage output

-Rolls wake up invincibility ruining rushdown
With this, there is no guaranteed rushdown anymore. May be a good thing – hard to say at the moment.
remove throw invulnerablity

-Rolls too long
some want to shorten
Some feel it’s a new game, just have to deal with it

-Getting OCV is soul crushing for beginners, game is not fun, turns players away from KOF14
Disable extra energy bonus and extra bar for player in the lead
Enable for last character on losing side (Nak on anchor omg)
…or just disable completely.

Thanks, this is exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for.

No prob.

Xevren

Reading that orochinagi list is making me shake my head, someone seriously put to make rush combos more safe, remove throw invuln on rolls? Seriously?

Via SRK, it seems Orochinagi might have actually sent this embarrassment to SNK.

Hopefully SNK's English translator is away on vacation.

Some gems:

-Max mode too damaging and too frequent for exciting matches
enable max mode only from only normals that cancel to specials
Slower meter fill
lower damage output

-Rolls wake up invincibility ruining rushdown
With this, there is no guaranteed rushdown anymore. May be a good thing – hard to say at the moment.
remove throw invulnerablity

-Rolls too long
some want to shorten
Some feel it’s a new game, just have to deal with it

-Getting OCV is soul crushing for beginners, game is not fun, turns players away from KOF14
Disable extra energy bonus and extra bar for player in the lead
Enable for last character on losing side (Nak on anchor omg)
…or just disable completely.

No prob.

Read the whole thing and now I'm worried about the legit things being dismissed along with the nonsense.

Rush combos have too much recovery

Bruh.

#StopGunsmith2016

I don't like the idea of a free bar to begin with, but it might be interesting to have to pick a team leader who'd be the only character to get it... but that means you could start a match with a single bar if you wanted and that changes the whole "fireball characters are better on point due to limited GC roll" thing. Still, making you actually pick would get rid of the "reward for screwing up" aspect.

Reading that orochinagi list is making me shake my head, someone seriously put to make rush combos more safe, remove throw invuln on rolls? Seriously?

Most likely poor wording due to not understanding the issue in the first place.
The problem that was pointed out is that if you roll from a state in which you have throw invulnerability frames, then at the time you roll you will retain those throw invulnerability frames when you shouldn't.
Atma mentions this in this video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwvwyyYkf4Y&feature=youtu.be (gets to this point quite early in the vid even though the whole thing is long).
So yeah, thanks ON for failing to properly report things that matter on top of it all too.

Orochinagi's opinions mean jack shit at this point. Completely embarrassing.

never forget that "game needs to be SLOWER" shit

this is the face of EU/UK KOF

we're doomed

also SRK thread isn't any better in the opposite direction somehow

EDIT : lol @ comments

BzChoy
September 27, 2016
“However, we believe the game needs to have more fun, visual impact to maintain player base and stream viewership.”

The whole thing itself smells like scrubby complains. But this right here smells like esports pandering.

Gunsmith
September 27, 2016
yup, it definitely is- Esports pandering at it’s best. Sorry not sorry. I really want KOF to go BIG, not some niche awesome fighter, as sad as this sounds – we already have KOF98, 2002, and 13.

doesn't give a fuck about the actual game at the end of the day tho

DR2K

Banned
Atma just posted what amounts to the reasons why KOF is life:

CtK5a4hWIAATAUQ.jpg:orig

The crap netcode and everyone dropping it led to me just putting it off for a while. It's crap because no one local is playing it.

I mean a game is not going to sustain itself appealing to a few hundred people.

The crap netcode and everyone dropping it led to me just putting it off for a while. It's crap because no one local is playing it.

I mean a game is not going to sustain itself appealing to a few hundred people.

I don't know why you quoted this to post that tho, this is about what makes KOF great

the game's netcode is good btw, PSN is fucking up for plenty of people these days

people still play too so I don't know where you got this "everyone dropping it" thing

many on my friendlist stopped playing for some reason, i can't say if they always stop playing fgs after a few weeks. you'll find plenty of rooms on the main mode still. team vs and single vs is mostly dead. don't know about ranked.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I got GGXRD:R on that last flash sale... and man, the KoF flavor still lingers in my mouth while playing, lol.

I love KoF's satisfying damage and varied combo routes for characters. I love the heavy emphasis of meter use, meter gain, and the HUGE damage that makes any hit, light, heavy, jump in, etc, all seem dangerous.

Not to mention how lacking the sound design is in some ways. I love the rhythm of KoF combos; I love how characters say different lines when they use specials after a 3 or 4 hit combo. I love the final sound effects of Ranbus and beams and single-hit mighty REAL MENS PUNCHES. There's so much punctuation to stuff in KoF. New GG fails at this compared to old GG, and maybe even compared to BB, and it's depressing. Especially when the visual impact scream "ANIMEEE OVER-DONNNEEE!" and the sound screams "fire the current mixer, or put him back on low-tier western cartoons!"

Graphically, GG is strong, of course, but it's not without fault. Much like XIV's huge cast bringing discrepancy between quality in characters, the same happens in GG. Early "DESTROY!" cinematics seem lifeless in comparison to the more well-planned ones, some cinematic Supers seem wasted on supers you're not gonna use / see much, BURST supers have no discernable visual difference other than some text on screen, and I have yet to adjust to the anti-hype that is putting hit enemies into slow-motion to continue combos. (I also suck at Roman Cancel-style systems in general, I guess, lol.) I mean... landing DUST is visually exciting, at least?

I just don't know where the full fun is in GGXRDR until you get deep into it's stuff. I don't want to make bad habits out of what will eventually be useless, but at the same time, the stuff that feels useful feels very basic (gattling chain-> special), and the stuff that uses meter doesn't feel all that much stronger, and it feels really inconsistent for difficulty VS damage payoff.

Still really got to get into the game, but I'm more and more glad these 2 games have different flows. I really wouldn't want KoF to feel just like GG, but at the same time, I like how GG makes so many characters feel fairly different from other fighters. I definitely don't have a Dizzy replacement in KoF, but I have yet to find any current characters in XRD:R that move like I want them to, compared to Zarina and current Leona.

BadWolf

CEOTaku stream is back on: https://www.twitch.tv/jyosua

I got GGXRD:R on that last flash sale... and man, the KoF flavor still lingers in my mouth while playing, lol.

Tried the demo and its pretty cool, very nice looking visually and I can definitely see why it's popular but it's not my cup of tea. 'Anime' fighters in general don't do anything for me though.

The Johnny player at this year's Evo top 8 was so badass.

i don't know why this game lets me play people on the other side of the earth without noticable delay sometimes. i had a 3 hour session without issues yesterday. it's one of the biggest mysteries to me.

I love KoF's satisfying damage and varied combo routes for characters. I love the heavy emphasis of meter use, meter gain, and the HUGE damage that makes any hit, light, heavy, jump in, etc, all seem dangerous.

Not to mention how lacking the sound design is in some ways. I love the rhythm of KoF combos; I love how characters say different lines when they use specials after a 3 or 4 hit combo. I love the final sound effects of Ranbus and beams and single-hit mighty REAL MENS PUNCHES. There's so much punctuation to stuff in KoF. New GG fails at this compared to old GG, and maybe even compared to BB, and it's depressing. Especially when the visual impact scream "ANIMEEE OVER-DONNNEEE!" and the sound screams "fire the current mixer, or put him back on low-tier western cartoons!"

I actually think this is one huge area that KOF14 fails compared to 13, and it's arguable that the older kofs did a better job. Like look at Andy's Neomax and compare it to his Climax in 14. They are both the same move, but the hit effect and sound had much more oomph in it in 13. Ralf also got hit hard by this, he doesn't seem to pummel as fast and the sound isn't as crunchy. When Ralf hits someone with a galactica phantom, the hitstop on it just let you know that he just punched a nuke right on your face. The Kyokugens usually are contenders for nicest hit effects at the end of Ranbus and dms, Ryo's hits in his combos for 14 just don't have the same feeling as 13, it felt like they had more of a pause for emphasis in the older game.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Tried the demo and its pretty cool, very nice looking visually and I can definitely see why it's popular but it's not my cup of tea. 'Anime' fighters in general don't do anything for me though.

The Johnny player at this year's Evo top 8 was so badass.

I'm starting to find "THE DAMAGE!" so it's getting more fun. For me it's weird because I find the fun in the even MORE anime fighters (Nitro+ X Blasters, Chaos Code, Dengeki Bunko, UNIEL) pretty fast, but I feel like I have to work harder for Guilty...

I enjoyed some of the GG I saw at CEOtaku, especially since I have a closer, even more intimate frame of reference now. I really need to learn some trickery with White RC, it seems...

I actually think this is one huge area that KOF14 fails compared to 13, and it's arguable that the older kofs did a better job. Like look at Andy's Neomax and compare it to his Climax in 14. They are both the same move, but the hit effect and sound had much more oomph in it in 13. Ralf also got hit hard by this, he doesn't seem to pummel as fast and the sound isn't as crunchy. When Ralf hits someone with a galactica phantom, the hitstop on it just let you know that he just punched a nuke right on your face. The Kyokugens usually are contenders for nicest hit effects at the end of Ranbus and dms, Ryo's hits in his combos for 14 just don't have the same feeling as 13, it felt like they had more of a pause for emphasis in the older game.

In all reality, it just feels... different to me here. We HAD harsher hitstop on the first previews of this game, and that still seemed to make people think "SLOW!". What we have now is a nice mix of camera-angles, unique sound effects, and pretty similar timing.

In one of those translated interviews, the sound team talks about how there's different expectations for 3D; like there should be sounds for cloth movements and other motions that aren't considered in 2D. Unlike GG, I can see and hear that here. I hear what I expect, and then I hear more. It's just nice how many small things have subtle attention, and I can actually tell! It seems like similar sound design to XIII overall. I loved how you could hear, say, the rustling of the flags in the top of the Coliseum stage, or how you can hear Athena's sparkles as they start to generate in her neutral stance.

I also like how KoF figures out how to "get away with it" all in an increasingly sensitive world. Yuri smacks her butt, Ralf mounts people and punches them directly in the face, Luong mounts and breaks a man in a way not many would mind dying. People have different tolerances for these things in different graphic styles, but I feel like I get a similar feeling when taken as a whole.

I definitely miss some of the old Neo Geo sound effects, though. I really hope many "Classic Costume" stuff could be like Classic Kyo, and have sounds directly ripped from the game they come from. I need the old Neo Geo Explosion sound that was used for every boss death / Goro stomp back! XD

Yeah, I definitely felt there was a lack of oomph in some of the hits in this. The K' Climax attack feels toothless compared to his Neomax version also.

Kensou's Climax attack on the other hand looks savage. They nailed the hits on that, when he launches into the continuous spinning kicks that shit looks like it HURTS.

Sayad

Watching those matches last night, forget about testing the game for balance and stuff, how did Nakoruru get past the character design stage like that? Who ever saw invincible start up, + on block, meter-less, has to be punished in the air and thought that shit wouldn't be broken probably never played a fighting game competitively before... That with the rest of her stuff, hard to believe she wasn't made broken on purpose.

For some reason, I really enjoy seeing top tier K' and Athena though. :)

BadWolf

Tried to give Joe a whirl in online matches and as usual with this friggin game, ended up trying an entirely new team along with him lol.

Tbh he might as well be garbage tier with those command normals, I basically feel zero confidence in my combos because I'm always thinking they will miss, and they do often. Especially problematic after jump ins. They must make both of his command normals, or at the very least one of them, guaranteed against crouchers at any range. It should be both command normals because it looks cool and because the damage difference between using one and two normals is laughable anyway.

Mian I approached a little differently because people are so busy spamming her dive kicks that it doesn't feel like they are learning the rest of her. So I started off by mostly ignoring the dive kicks and learning the rest of her, and boy am I glad I did because she feels even more unique and fun than I initially thought. Her normals and moves have some very interesting and unique properties. Oh and I just love her design and animation, amazing new character.

The third member was Mui Mui, she's very easy to learn and be effective with. Felt at home with her in no time. Great normals and simple and powerful combos. Didn't take long for her to become the anchor of the team. Her head attacks still make me laugh.

DreamCancel.com is mentioning a survey regarding KoF interest, might be worth checking out: http://dreamcancel.com/2016/10/03/kof-interest-survey-2016/

Mildly annoying that it assumes anyone answering has access to tournaments, let alone weekly options.

Thanks.

Completed the survey, and yeah, they assume a bit much about tournament access.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Game is almost dead outside Asia & America :/.
It's a shame really, the matchmaker plays part on this.
I havent been able to find a single Latino player :(
When i search for games i always get laggy connections with the US

Top Bottom