• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us: Remastered |OT| Game of the Years

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I couldn't believe they threw in
infected
at the very last minute too. It completely threw me for a loop and before I understood what was happening I was a goner. I was actually pretty fucking annoyed by that. Heh

I loved that when I first played the DLC.
The entire game I was waiting for survivors and infected fighting at the same time while you were in the middle, it only gets toyed with a little bit until they take it further there

But yeah, I found the final encounter to be brutally hard in general, hardest part in the entire game.

Gator86

I loved that when I first played the DLC.
The entire game I was waiting for survivors and infected fighting at the same time while you were in the middle, it only gets toyed with a little bit until they take it further there

But yeah, I found the final encounter to be brutally hard in general, hardest part in the entire game.

Agreed 100%. Your spoilered part was something I wanted in the original game and is a brilliant mechanic. It adds a lot of potential depth to combat.

And yeah, I only died like half a dozen times in the last third of the regular game on grounded. I died a ton of times on just that last encounter. It felt like the game just threw away any presence of fairness and was like "fuck you, you're dying now."

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Agreed 100%. Your spoilered part was something I wanted in the original game and is a brilliant mechanic. It adds a lot of potential depth to combat.

And yeah, I only died like half a dozen times in the last third of the regular game on grounded. I died a ton of times on just that last encounter. It felt like the game just threw away any presence of fairness and was like "fuck you, you're dying now."
Yep. This is pretty much how my playthrough went. 95% of the game was pretty straight-forward and manageable, then at the very last moment they throw you in the deep end of the pool and shout: "Good luck!".

Fracas

#fuckonami
Left Behind was really good. Shame I got spoiled beforehand (in a random GAF thread, no less), but it was still a touching story.

I love this game so much.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Did they improve the AI while in stealth? For example, intamces when Ellie spazes out trying to find cover around clickers and making a ruckus.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Heard my PS4's fans kick in for the first time while playing this game. Coincidentally, this is also the game that murdered my PS3. I'm nervous, brehs.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I'm going fucking crazy, where the hell is Grounded: The Making of? Can't find it for the life of me, yes I'm on 1.1, isn't it unlocked from the get-go?!

Edit: never mind, you just need to play the game once first and unlocking the first cutscene, then it'll appear under 'cinematics'

Left Behind was really good. Shame I got spoiled beforehand (in a random GAF thread, no less), but it was still a touching story.

I love this game so much.

Seriously, fuck that goddamn spoiling post, fell for it myself as well :/

StuBurns

Banned
Fuck Winter is pretty.

Did weapon placement change in this version? I was sure the handgun with scope moved, along with the
flamethrower

Gator86

Yep. This is pretty much how my playthrough went. 95% of the game was pretty straight-forward and manageable, then at the very last moment they throw you in the deep end of the pool and shout: "Good luck!".

Essentially. I'm amazed it passed play testing considering everyone here had a pretty similar experience. Definitely a rough edge on an other near-perfect game.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Woohoo! I beat TLoU and TLoU: Left Behind in Grounded Mode today!
hey I actually watched some of that stream. Congrats.

So I tried to see what the 30 cap was like after playing a few hours with the 60FPS.

My god. My fucking god. I honest to god don't remember the game being so fucking chunky. I mean, I'm used to console games and PC games. I know what 60 FPS vs 30 FPS is like, but holy Jesus.

I honestly think something is wrong with the FPS cap, because I would get a headache playing it capped for more than five minutes, and I beat the PS3 version three times.

Odd glitch in the hotel:

BuFK0kdCYAAuWKz.jpg:orig

I've had the opposite happen where all of his hair turns black.

In my game his hair keeps bouncing from one extreme to the other as well. For a while I wondered if it was just me, or if it was really happening.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Essentially. I'm amazed it passed play testing considering everyone here had a pretty similar experience. Definitely a rough edge on an other near-perfect game.

Nah I don't think it's unfair or anything, just really really hard.

It's the very last encounter, so they might as well go balls out with the challenge level.

ufo8mycat

So I tried to see what the 30 cap was like after playing a few hours with the 60FPS.

My god. My fucking god. I honest to god don't remember the game being so fucking chunky. I mean, I'm used to console games and PC games. I know what 60 FPS vs 30 FPS is like, but holy Jesus.

I honestly think something is wrong with the FPS cap, because I would get a headache playing it capped for more than five minutes, and I beat the PS3 version three times.

There is definitely something wrong with the 30fps cap.

I am someone who cares very little playing at 30fps compared to 60fps and it makes no difference to me what so ever in my gaming experience and I also don't notice that much of a difference, but yes there is definitely a problem.

Correct me if I am wrong, but don't developers add techniques to 30fps games to make it more smooth?

With the 30fps lock, the game is jittery when you move compared to 60fps and even I am noticing this a lot

I have a feeling Naughty Dog missed this and what we are seeing is the pure 30fps without any smoothing techniques used, because I have no problems or notice very little with every other 30fps game, compared to 60fps.

Cudder

Does anyone elses game/screen flicker every so often for a split second? I'm not sure if it's the game or if something's up with my input/outputs on my TV or receiver.

sujay

Correct me if I am wrong, but don't developers add techniques to 30fps games to make it more smooth?

With the 30fps lock, the game is jittery when you move compared to 60fps and even I am noticing this a lot?

I have a feeling Naughty Dog missed this and what we are seeing is the pure 30fps without any smoothing techniques used, because I have no problems or notice very little with every other 30fps game, compared to 60fps.

Full screen motion blur. I think so too. Something's definitely not right with the 30fps mode.

I am someone who cares very little playing at 30fps compared to 60fps and it makes no difference to me what so ever in my gaming experience and I also don't notice that much of a difference, but yes there is definitely a problem.

With the 30fps lock, the game is jittery when you move compared to 60fps and even I am noticing this a lot

Now that you mention it, they removed a lot of motion blur when playing on 60 FPS, due to the fact that it's 60 FPS.

They probably never added it back in when the game caps at 30 FPS.

antitrop

Plenty of games have fucked up Vsync implementations, so it wouldn't completely surprise me if TLoU: R's 30fps lock is fucked up, but I really don't think it is.

After about 5 minutes of playing with it on, my brain started to adjust to it.

Wubbys

So I cant remember if it was always like this but does the game look like there is a white film covering the entire screen at times? It is really taking me out of the experience on my huge tv. (played on my monitor for ps3)

Holy crap this game. I was having a blast and all, but it wasn't quite living up to the expectations everyone had set. But the more I play, the better it gets. Just finished up the part with
Henry and Sam.
Holy crap.

I hope that wasn't Ish shooting the sniper. Reading those notes from him got me all hyped to potentially meet him.

Also, for some reason, this whole time I thought Ellie was voiced by Ellen Page. Thought it was cool to learn it's actually the waitress lady from Avengers.

Mentok

Banned
I'm scared to do a grounded run....a lot of the time I'm trying to stealth, but it just doesn't click so I have to use a gun lol. Especially in encounters where you have to engage to carry on
like pittsburgh's beginning

Lord Error

Insane For Sony

There's nothing wrong with 30fps lock. What you're seeing is an immediate impact of switching between 60 and 30 until your brain adapts. 60fps is significantly more smooth when compared side by side, that's just how it is.
The game may not have strong camera motion blur in 30fps mode, but I'm not sure if it had it on PS3 either, and it's certainly not something thats a norm in 30fps games.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Even though I'm playing this for the third time or so, I think a have a new favorite part in the game. It's when you
get to explore the desolated block of houses with Henry and Sam. Suddenly it hit me how great this bit is. You get to learn about the looting and panicking that took place once everyone started hoarding, but in contrast there are the good memories of the past, and the kids have some time to relax. The more ambient part of the ost in the background, is just icing on the cake. Since I've played Gone Home I've come to enjoy rummaging through desolated houses more I guess.
It's a shame some people will just rush through areas like this, missing all the extra little tidbits you can trigger (darts, the ice cream truck).
This game has an insane attention to detail, they put so many stuff in that 90% of people will probably never see. ND also rewards sight-seeing with all the context sensitive dialogue. Just adds to the experience.

It's more striking that you realize this section is just before
the death of Henry and Sam. Still such a powerful moment. The first time through, you could totally see it coming, but I never did. I wasn't looking, enjoyed the characters too much. I still remember, when Henry shot himself I punched a pillow a few times, up until then no moment hit me as hard as that.
So yeah, I'm still not tired of this campaign I guess. I also discovered an optional Ellie bit I never triggered before:
when you're in the lobby of the hotel and you're behind the counter, she'll come up and fake a posh lady and ask for the most expensive suite, cute.

It also hit me that there's so much of these moments with Ellie, but with Liz in Infinite not nearly enough. It was always suggested that Liz would interact with things in the world, but they clearly lost track of that somewhere along the way. Ellie as a result feels more developed and natural as a companion. I love Infinite, don't get me wrong, but ND went all out in the details.

There's nothing wrong with 30fps lock. What you're seeing is an immediate impact of switching between 60 and 30 until your brain adapts. 60fps is significantly more smooth when compared side by side, that's just how it is.
The game may not have strong camera motion blur in 30fps mode, but I'm not sure if it had it on PS3 either, and it's certainly not something thats a norm in 30fps games.

Really? I switched to 30 fps mode for a few seconds as well, and it was like a slideshow. I found it hard to believe it was 30 fps even, seemed like I was playing in single digits.

Marvel

could never
Yeah that 30fps is rough, I will only use it now for better shots in Photo Mode.

So I beat the game again last night, my god still awesome. I'm near the end of Left Behind too, it's pretty damn good.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Somthing is wrong with the 30fps mode. It feels like its unoptomised.

Lots of input lag as well. And no its not because my brain is adjusting to the lower fps. Needs to be fixed.

Gator86

I'm scared to do a grounded run....a lot of the time I'm trying to stealth, but it just doesn't click so I have to use a gun lol. Especially in encounters where you have to engage to carry on

It's not much different than survivor or hard. The end of Left Behind on grounded is ridiculously difficult though.

camac002

Somthing is wrong with the 30fps mode. It feels like its unoptomised.

Lots of input lag as well. And no its not because my brain is adjusting to the lower fps. Needs to be fixed.

It is your brain adjusting. Plug in the PS3 and PS4 version in at the same time and switch between. It's the same.

The shock of going instantly from 60 to 30 is not good...

Doesn't mean 30 fps is unplayable though. Just not when there's a 60 fps option.

Yup.

I just popped in another 30fps game and even TLOU for PS3 and it was smooth

Oh well doesn't matter, thank fully there is a 60fps option.

If you are you taking a small amount of time to change a game, its enough to reset your brain and view 30 fps as smoother. There are also differences in motion blur. Again, if you can switch between the PS3 and PS4(30) instantly, you will see it's the same.

Alucrid

Banned

My grounded run consisted of me cursing the entire time about how I could never find any goddamn tape. It's nice to have it done with though.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
ND said you don't need to play on grounded to get the platinum, but there are a couple of gold trophies for grounded playthroughs? I didn't know you could get a platinum without getting all other trophies in the game.

milkham

ND said you don't need to play on grounded to get the platinum, but there are a couple of gold trophies for grounded playthroughs? I didn't know you could get a platinum without getting all other trophies in the game.

in the original game the grounded difficulty was added afterwards

f@luS

More than a member.
It is your brain adjusting. Plug in the PS3 and PS4 version in at the same time and switch between. It's the same.

The shock of going instantly from 60 to 30 is not good...

Doesn't mean 30 fps is unplayable though. Just not when there's a 60 fps option.

e.

No its not. Something IS wrong with 30fps mode. As nobody seems to read me. You can confirm it with remote play which is 30fps by default. When 60fps ingame is activited the 30fps remoteplaying is a normal one. When you pût 30fps ingame it should be the same but its much more sluggish

Playing this game again is making me realize how awkward a few scenes are.

After the great scene where Tess and Joel fuck Robert up, Marlele just appears from off screen. She heard enough of their conversation for a one-liner ("let's find a firefly" "you won't have to look far!") but didn't hear any of the other talk or the, you know, yelling, screaming, and gunshots.
I do kind of wonder if that scene was written as two separate encounters that got compressed in development or something.

No its not. Something IS wrong with 30fps mode. As nobody seems to read me. You can confirm it with remote play which is 30fps by default. When 60fps ingame is activited the 30fps remoteplaying is a normal one. When you pût 30fps ingame it should be the same but its much more sluggish

This. I played with 30fps on Vita and it was buttery smooth (relatively speaking, as far as 30fps goes).

30fps doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me on this remastered version. It was WAY more playable on the PS3.

I think we need someone to immediately switch over to the PS3 version after playing 60fps on Remastered to give us a real litmus test.

Rivitur

Banned
Just finished it and all I got to say is holy hell that was a ride. Only complaint I have is the bobbing glitch where enemys go through the ground.

camac002

This. I played with 30fps on Vita and it was buttery smooth (relatively speaking, as far as 30fps goes).

30fps doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me on this remastered version. It was WAY more playable on the PS3.

I think we need someone to immediately switch over to the PS3 version after playing 60fps on Remastered to give us a real litmus test.

All I can say is that I have just tested this directly with a PS3 and a PS4 in the same room on the same tv with instant channel switching. The 30 fps modes are practically the same, it's possible there's a minor difference in input lag and motion blur quality.

In some areas (testing Pittsburgh) , the 30 fps mode on the PS4 version was SMOOTHER due to the fact that the PS3 version seems to get that 28-30 zone a lot of the time.

I don't know anything about how the Vita handles things but my response was in relation to people comparing the game directly to the PS3 version.

N-Forced

Neo Member
So I cant remember if it was always like this but does the game look like there is a white film covering the entire screen at times? It is really taking me out of the experience on my huge tv. (played on my monitor for ps3)
During some night scenes yes, looks like the brightness level gets cranked up for no reason. I think some people were talking about it earlier in the thread.

Top Bottom