• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us: Remastered |OT| Game of the Years

daveo42

Banned
Really taking my time this playthough as I'm 14 hours in and just made it to the
hotel in Winter.
Actually cleared everything but the first section of
Winter
pretty easily, including what most consider to be a horrible fight
the bloater.
Part of the ease of this section was the AI went and fucked itself something fierce during the
escape after the horse gets gunned down. It was like they got stuck on a running path like they saw me but never entered the first house where I was. Found a better hiding spot for the 2nd half of that encounter by the food shack. The bathroom side is just garbage.

Im 9 hours in, got the
Shorty
, I can safely say this game has the most satisfying gunplay feedback in any third person shoter ever, gibs + backwards after a point blank shot, the mess it makes, the sound, god damn.

Also Ellie is hilarious in her little comments she makes, after a blody kill "Jesus Joel!!!" or "Oh man" that "Oh man" is fucking hilarious IMO, adds a lot to her personality.

Yeah, I do love those little moments. I'm like "yeah girl I know".

thenexus6

Just finished the game (never played PS3 version). Stellar game really had a great time playing this. Definitely the best i've played in a long long time.

I will go back and collect the bits I missed and try a harder difficulty. I noticed I get the option to start "new game plus" on easy or normal (I finished the game on normal). Whats the major differences with say normal and normal plus? I will probably just go through on easy get collectables then do a final grounded play through.

Also I didn't think much of the bow when I first got it, but wow its so good. On my next play through I am maxing that out asap.

Well shit, just beat the game for the first time. Joel pretty much
says F U to everyone, including Ellie.
I kinda figured what Ellies eventual outcome was going to be. I didn't even come close to thinking that it would have the repercussions sounds like it is going to have. I haven't touched any DLC yet though, so I don't know what else is going to play out.

Raptor

Thsi game has surpassed Gears Headshots, for the simple reason that is more realistic and more brutal, call me sick but I freaking love it, now the bar is set and from now on every game will be measured against this, a Horde Mode with this kind of gunplay with lots of ammo could have been my personal drug for years god damn.

The Rifle sounds and what does to heads is a sight to behold lol, brains all over in little pieces, when teh enemies are in cover in some table or a similar structure all teh damn brains gets on that making it beautifull to see.

This is teh first time that I can say the word "visceral" to what Im seeing, brutal, visceral, gore all over, incredible characters, is making this game earnest of all the GOTY and maybe GOTG awards.

Is simply an incredible achievement in game form, this game director is very talented.

Thsi game has surpassed Gears Headshots, for the simple reason that is more realistic and more brutal, call me sick but I freaking love it, now the bar is set and from now on every game will be measured against this, a Horde Mode with this kind of gunplay with lots of ammo could have been my personal drug for years god damn.

The Rifle sounds and what does to heads is a sight to behold lol, brains all over in little pieces, when teh enemies are in cover in some table or a similar structure all teh damn brains gets on that making it beautifull to see.

This is teh first time that I can say the word "visceral" to what Im seeing, brutal, visceral, gore all over, incredible characters, is making this game earnest of all the GOTY and maybe GOTG awards.

Is simply an incredible achievement in game form, this game director is very talented.

Gore of the Year and Gore of the Generation awards?

;)

Sporad

Neo Member
Jumping into this soon. Is the consensus to go in with Hard difficulty and no listening mode? Finished it once on PS3 on Normal

Huggers

Jumping into this soon. Is the consensus to go in with Hard difficulty and no listening mode? Finished it once on PS3 on Normal

I just did exactly this having beaten it on PS3 a year ago on normal. Absolutely perfect setting for me. Tough but not unfairly so. Actually found it easier than my original play through

That's what I played my first time through. Its tough, but fair. I never really was full of ammo or crafting supplies. The only time I really got frustrated was during the handful of infected mob rushes.

Qassim

I stopped playing the PS3 version last year about 45% of the way through, perhaps it just came at a bad time, as I just couldn't get that into it - and I felt the first part of the game dragged a little combat wise. I recognised the quality, but I obviously hadn't seen the meat of the game yet.

However, having just completed it - I understand the praise. I don't think there's much I can say that hasn't already been said a million times on the story, characters, voice acting, presentation, etc.

However, with the gameplay, there is rarely a moment where you feel safe, or like the next encounter will be a breeze, at least on your first play through. That leads to a feeling of being uncomfortable and being uncomfortable isn't something usually associated with fun. Of course, it'll depend entirely on the person playing, but as people learn the mechanics and the enemies, how each stage can play out - then the uncertainty is gone and the focus is purely on the mechanics and the gameplay. That is when I suspect people start finding it a fun game to play, finding new ways to deal with enemies and how fast they and efficiently they can do it, in different styles, etc.

I played through on normal and whilst I very, very rarely died, I did still dread the next encounter and probably because of that I'd usually spend some time just sitting back, observing to plan to find the best way to get through. That is where the challenge came from and that is what made the gameplay compelling. As I said, whilst it felt challenging, I very rarely actually died and I usually got through encounters on the first or at most second try.

Sporad

Neo Member
I stopped playing the PS3 version last year about 45% of the way through, perhaps it just came at a bad time, as I just couldn't get that into it - and I felt the first part of the game dragged a little combat wise. I recognised the quality, but I obviously hadn't seen the meat of the game yet.

However, having just completed it - I understand the praise. I don't think there's much I can say that hasn't already been said a million times on the story, characters, voice acting, presentation, etc.

However, with the gameplay, there is rarely a moment where you feel safe, or like the next encounter will be a breeze, at least on your first play through. That leads to a feeling of being uncomfortable and being uncomfortable isn't something usually associated with fun. Of course, it'll depend entirely on the person playing, but as people learn the mechanics and the enemies, how each stage can play out - then the uncertainty is gone and the focus is purely on the mechanics and the gameplay. That is when I suspect people start finding it a fun game to play, finding new ways to deal with enemies and how fast they and efficiently they can do it, in different styles, etc.

I played through on normal and whilst I very, very rarely died, I did still dread the next encounter and probably because of that I'd usually spend some time just sitting back, observing to plan to find the best way to get through. That is where the challenge came from and that is what made the gameplay compelling. As I said, whilst it felt challenging, I very rarely actually died and I usually got through encounters on the first or at most second try.

Totally agree. I found it stressful as hell on PS3 and soon jumping into PS4 on Hard. But having gone through it once I'm more prepared for taking my time and working it out. The year out was definitely needed!!

I went hard tonight. Did all of Winter and through to the
hospital
in Spring.

Oh man, that bit in the tunnel with the
3 bloaters
. My heart was in my mouth, I did some straight up miraculous shit. Didn't die once.

Thank you based flamethrower

Easy and Normal you will be swimming in excess supplies and rarely feel the pinch that was intended so Hard strikes a good balance.

Fuck the hotel on grounded btw. Not fun at all.

So easy to get caught and then a gazillion dudes seem to spawn from nowhere, they always know where you are, melee is wonky, guys always sneaking up on me... And no checkpoints. At all.

Seriously hate this part. Rather have 20 hotel basements than this shit.

End of rant. Now let's hope this complaining on the internet thing works and I get it next try.

You have to kill everyone otherwise they just come after you when you get to the elevator.
Also you can kick those plastic water tanks to create noise.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

I took a screenshot of what a single shot from an upgraded shotgun can do just for you. Disemboweled and double dismemberment. This is the only game where I don't find the gore and the violence fun. It's unsettling and realistic, which is perfect for the tone and setting.

ib2xFWM1U9BArM.jpg

Murdoch

The gamma setting is really, really bad in this game. I switched immediately from Tomb Raider Def Edition to TLOU and its really jarring. I may have to wait for a patch before I can continue playing. I'm waiting on a patch for Wolfenstein's terrible sound mix as well. Not a good year for spit and polish : (

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The gamma setting is really, really bad in this game. I switched immediately from Tomb Raider Def Edition to TLOU and its really jarring. I may have to wait for a patch before I can continue playing. I'm waiting on a patch for Wolfenstein's terrible sound mix as well. Not a good year for spit and polish : (
Are you having black crush issues? I figured that out the other night.

It's fine apart from the
quarantine escape section with Ellie and Tess, and the subway section.
All I did for the first section was set my gamma to 2.4 instead of the 1.9 is was originally at, then switched it back to 1.9 after I completed the section. Surely you can just change the in-game setting and/or your TV's gamma setting for those areas, no? I know you shouldn't have to...but it's better than waiting for a patch.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
It's fine apart from the
quarantine escape section with Ellie and Tess, and the subway section.
All I did for the first section was set my gamma to 2.4 instead of the 1.9 is was originally at, then switched it back to 1.9 after I completed the section. Surely you can just change the in-game setting and/or your TV's gamma setting for those areas, no? I know you shouldn't have to...but it's better than waiting for a patch.
The usual gamma target is 2.2

ced

I have an issue with this as well, for me it's way too bright even at the lowest in game setting.

All my other games are perfect, it's almost like a black level issue.

Murdoch

Panasonic plasma Gamma - 2.2

Some areas are ever so slightly overly black crushed. Night scene's and areas underground look green/gray by comparison. Theres something very wrong with the gamma settings in-game. Black areas on Tomb Raider are jet black by comparison.

Raptor

I took a screenshot of what a single shot from an upgraded shotgun can do just for you. Disemboweled and double dismemberment. This is the only game where I don't find the gore and the violence fun. It's unsettling and realistic, which is perfect for the tone and setting.

Sometimes it chops off legs too is beautiful.

I do find it fun though as in a complement for teh gunplay feedback, one of the reasons I find this gameplay incredibly satisfying.

Panasonic plasma Gamma - 2.2

Some areas are ever so slightly overly black crushed. Night scene's and areas underground look green/gray by comparison. Theres something very wrong with the gamma settings in-game. Black areas on Tomb Raider are jet black by comparison.

Are you also having gamma issues for sections that aren't any of the two that i mentioned above?

taizuke

I DID IT! I f-ing beat the basement level in Grounded, only took me 10 tries and almost all my ammo but it was worth it. Whoever decided to put a bloater near the door is a dick.

You mean the basement level at the university? Cause you can get through it without alerting a single enemy. Then when you reach the door
just smash square like crazy and the bloater won't get you.

Leatherface

Just beat this yesterday. I have never played the PS3 version. Wow, what a ride! I loved every second. Definitely a very special game. Now to tackle the DLC and I can't wait!! :)

Murdoch

Are you also having gamma issues for sections that aren't any of the two that i mentioned above?

The area at the beginning with Tess where you get your backpack = Fine. Nicely lit and black areas are genuinely black.

The area after the ladder then underground (first "encounter" with the virus) looks terrible. Everything is over bright with green/grey hues. It shouldn't look it on a properly calibrated Panasonic Plasma in THX mode.

The area at the beginning with Tess where you get your backpack = Fine. Nicely lit and black areas are genuinely black.

The area after the ladder then underground (first "encounter" with the virus) looks terrible. Everything is over bright with green/grey hues. It shouldn't look it on a properly calibrated Panasonic Plasma in THX mode.

Yeah, that seems to be the case for everyone. I'm not sure what compelled ND to make that section look like that, or why they thought it looked good.....

Murdoch

Yeah, that seems to be the case for everyone. I'm not sure what compelled ND to make that section look like that, or why they thought it looked good.....

I've finished the PS3 version so I'm happy to wait a little bit longer for it to be addressed. As long as it does get fixed that is. Otherwise I shan't be a happy little camper!

As I said, that's two games I'm currently waiting to be fixed after playing them both for the first time back to back.

Fired up Wolfenstein TNO, Couldn't understand a word the Scottish guy was saying above the plane sound effects. Then I fired my gun for the first time shortly after. Mistook the tommy gun sound effects for freshly popped popcorn - ejected disk. Booted up TLOU. Played the prelude which was flawless then ran into these problems listed above.

Not really good enough in my book! I can cope with the odd glitch. But not things that can be reproduced 100% of the time with no effort required

Hugstable

Banned
Ugh I'm having a bad morning playing this game. Made a save before going into one section without grabbing everything from the other side thinking it wouldn't move the game along, and it ends up being one of those sections where it cuts you off from going backwards and the game autosaves right over the individual save I made and now I'm screwed over unless I use Chapter to restart a pretty long area :(. I wish they would tell you which save is the autosave one so I wouldn't have gotten screwed over like this. If I use to continue from Chapter and choose the same difficulty, will I still get the completion achievements like I would have? I'm scared the it won't count it for me anymore :(

mstevens

Someone mentioned that a higher % of people have the grounded + trophy than the survivor + or even grounded regular.. Does that mean it's not stacking for the trophies if you do grounded on your second playthrough? Can anyone confirm this?

mstevens

Ugh I'm having a bad morning playing this game. Made a save before going into one section without grabbing everything from the other side thinking it wouldn't move the game along, and it ends up being one of those sections where it cuts you off from going backwards and the game autosaves right over the individual save I made and now I'm screwed over unless I use Chapter to restart a pretty long area :(. I wish they would tell you which save is the autosave one so I wouldn't have gotten screwed over like this. If I use to continue from Chapter and choose the same difficulty, will I still get the completion achievements like I would have? I'm scared the it won't count it for me anymore :(

I had that happen to me a couple of times. I jotted down a note of which collectible I missed, and then after I beat the game I went back to chapter select and got each one (not in new game +).

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Someone mentioned that a higher % of people have the grounded + trophy than the survivor + or even grounded regular.. Does that mean it's not stacking for the trophies if you do grounded on your second playthrough? Can anyone confirm this?

They're meant to stack, it's just the trophies in this game being buggy as hell. More people also have "found all collectibles" compared to "find all artifacts".

shwimpy

They stack. You can get all the difficulty trophies in two playthroughs.

kubus

You have to kill everyone otherwise they just come after you when you get to the elevator.
Also you can kick those plastic water tanks to create noise.
Finally made it after I changed my path and used the stairway instead of climbing up. For some reason that made it really easy o_O.

Finally nearing the end of summer. I was cruising through this game until Pittsburgh happened. My least favourite chapter of the game :(. Fuck hunters.

Top Bottom