• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us: Remastered |OT| Game of the Years

glaurung

Received my copy and started playing last night. There are some odd loading problems I saw. The military guard animation would not load in so the ID permits floated in the air while the guard model was frozen like in that NBA disaster.

Same thing happened once with both Joel and Tess. The camera panned around, but their animations would not load in. Also, some textures load in horribly slow.

Or maybe it's just my PS4 that cannot operate properly in this disgusting heat wave.

Disc version.

Finished Left Behind I loved everything about it. That's how you create great SP DLC. The way Druckmann is writing I can't wait to see Uncharted 4. My favorite part is
they don't show Riley turn. They didn't need to. ND treats it's audience with intelligence. Riley's last words were the perfect ending and it shows Elle did have survivor's guilt. Surviving when the love of your life, the person that made you strong dies
. Elle is one of the greatest characters in gaming.

Vov

Doing my first playthrough on Grounded, what exactly is that "work around"?
Finish the game on any difficulty. Then pick any difficulty for new game+. Complete the prologue and then when with Tess save and quit.

Then go to chapter select, pick the prologue and select grounded and you will have all your upgrades. And supposedly after completion it unlocks both grounded and grounded+ trophies.

I hope that makes some sense.

kubus

So how far am I? First playthrough of the game. I got bored with the slow as hell first hour and a half or so back on PS3 and shelved it, but am here giving it another shot again.

In the hotel. Ellie just had her first kill.

I'm wagering somewhere in the ballpark of 30-40%?
40% seems about right. IIRC you can track your progress if you press the Options button in the save/load menu and choose Information.

DieH@rd

Banned
Is there any way to keep the Photo Mode on, instead of manually turning it on for every gaming session? Sometimes I may forget and miss some really cool shots. =(

I stopped using Photo Mode because of really regular missclicks. It's impossible not to hit it during combat. :-/

Gekidami

Banned
Finish the game on any difficulty. Then pick any difficulty for new game+. Complete the prologue and then when with Tess save and quit.

Then go to chapter select, pick the prologue and select grounded and you will have all your upgrades. And supposedly after completion it unlocks both grounded and grounded+ trophies.

I hope that makes some sense.

I see, well i think i'd rather to that then replay Grounded, even if it is with all of my previous upgrades.

Another question; Seeing as i'm playing on Grounded, first go, if i beat it will i get the trophies for all of the other lower difficulties at the same time?

Codeblew

Apparently there is a glitch you can do to be able to increase the difficulty in ng+. I may try that as I don't know if I want to do grounded twice lol.

I used the glitch to go from my hard mode completion to Grounded+. No where near the end yet but I am definitely in Grounded+. Others have said they got the trophies at the end.

d9b

Banned
So how far am I? First playthrough of the game. I got bored with the slow as hell first hour and a half or so back on PS3 and shelved it, but am here giving it another shot again.

In the hotel. Ellie just had her first kill.

I'm wagering somewhere in the ballpark of 30-40%?
Check your save file.
Load game -> Option-> information
It'll tell you %

What the heck is going on with this melee glitch? Me and a dude are swinging on each other for 10 seconds plus and nothing connects.

I think I have a video of it on my PS4. Anyone else see it?

I had it happen once during my last play through. He was the last enemy in a really hard part and I was just about dead, I was on edge. Thankfully he died and not me. That was the second time I saw it. Last time on PS3.

[...] as playing at normal or easy would allow you to play it like a straight shooter.
This is not true. Last year I played it on Normal for the first time and in the beginning until the first half I got my ass kicked constantly with these instant deaths because I tried to play it like Uncharted. It might not have been as intense as, say, Survivor or Grounded but it was only towards the end that I started feeling I had mastered the game and could play it on a higher difficulty. At least on Normal you still have to adapt to the game's mechanics, you can't play it like a normal shooter.

d9b

Banned
So I finally started playing and I'm a few hours in. The opening was... impactful. Unprecented in video games, even. Gives you a real good "motivation" to play. Not so sure about the gameplay yet, though. Not that there's anything wrong in it, just too early to say.

The graphics are decent overall. You can see that it's a port of a PS3 game, lighting looks pretty "flat" compared to the likes of Second Son and Tomb Raider: DE and some of the textures are kinda bad. Still, I like the presentation, it's "worthy" of being a PS4 title, and it's easy to see that the game is native 1080p, as I just finished Uncharted 3 a few days ago.

Can't wait to play more.
Lighting in cutscenes looks lovely but in actual game... not so much. Graphical glitches are abound also. Shame!
Hope some of it will be addressed in future updates.

I think my grounded playthrough is glitching, it seems when i stealth take down certain enemies the game automatically spawns full alerted enemies :/ also i didnt have a shiv for a shive door :/

This is not true. Last year I played it on Normal for the first time and in the beginning until the first half I got my ass kicked constantly with these instant deaths because I tried to play it like Uncharted. It might not have been as intense as, say, Survivor or Grounded but it was only towards the end that I started feeling I had mastered the game and could play it on a higher difficulty. At least on Normal you still have to adapt to the game's mechanics, you can't play it like a normal shooter.

That's only with the clickers. Fighting the hunters or military I'm sure you could play it as a standard shooter like uncharted. This would be encouraged by the abundance of supplies at the lower difficulty and the plentiful ammo. Having 3 of each item constantly and all weapons filled up would allow a more the game to be played as a straight shooter. I definitly think the gameplay is best (and much different) at higher difficulties.

d9b

Banned
So without spoiling anything, can someone please tell me if we ever find out what caused the outbreak in the first place?
I found
medical pamphlet
that explains it. Explanation is:
shit happens... like Ebola, Aids or Black Plague

I found
medical pamphlet
that explains it. Explanation is:
shit happens... like Ebola, Aids or Black Plague

Thanks.
So it's not an evil militia group, like in Resident Evil series?

Also, who is the main playable character for the Left Behind DLC?

yeah my chapter 5 is REALLY glitched, i'm getting that same glitch I posted about earlier in the next area you go to
Hote

so i'm actually playing an even harder grounded mode than most do :/

kubus

yeah my chapter 5 is REALLY glitched, i'm getting that same glitch I posted about earlier in the next area you go to
Hote

so i'm actually playing an even harder grounded mode than most do :/
Where are you? The game sometimes does this weird thing where if you try to stealth takedown an enemy, the game thinks it's the last enemy and does a full (noisy) melee kill instead, after which any other/new enemies know your presence.

This seems to be an issue especially in the Financial District (end of hotel spoiler:
when Ellie backs you up with a rifle
because the game tries to force you into melee there. If you don't go into open combat, the game cannot proceed and it will keep spawning enemies on your ass until you do.

I had it happen in the Hotel too (also on Grounded).

Hope you mean this otherwise that does sound like a glitch :(

Finished Left Behind I loved everything about it. That's how you create great SP DLC. The way Druckmann is writing I can't wait to see Uncharted 4. My favorite part is
they don't show Riley turn. They didn't need to. ND treats it's audience with intelligence. Riley's last words were the perfect ending and it shows Elle did have survivor's guilt. Surviving when the love of your life, the person that made you strong dies
. Elle is one of the greatest characters in gaming.

+1. I think Left Behind was even better than TLOU and I gave TLOU a solid 10/10. Even though the DLC is quite short, it's more powerful than the main game.

terrible

Banned
The only truly annoying glitch I came across was a camera glitch.
In the bar near the very end of Pittsburgh before the armored truck breaks through the door near the bridge
my camera bugged out on both my playthroughs. It kept trying to focus on the
armored truck
the entire time I entered the area even though I hadn't even got to the scene where it shows up. I had to fight the camera to keep it straight but it was almost impossible. It got me killed a few times. I even got killed when running towards
the bridge to get away from the truck
because the camera refused to let me see in front of me so I couldn't see where I was going.

Huggers

Just clocked hard. Really enjoyed it for the second time. That ending is still as stunning as ever.
I swear someone in here was saying that there were others like Ellie and it wasn't just Joel lying
though. Which isn't the case.

What's New game plus mean? What is the difference between playing this and replaying the game on Survivor?

voden

Neo Member
Can anyone help with this. I just received my NTSC copy from videogamesplus and the multiplayer is still censored. I have set the system language to English American but still nothing. Is there anything I am missing, do I need a USA account on the system as well or something?

Edit: Never mind it seems it is uncensored. Its just not as noticeable right away as the single player with having to have enemies downed first. After a shorty execution you're damn straight its uncensored :)

Where are you? The game sometimes does this weird thing where if you try to stealth takedown an enemy, the game thinks it's the last enemy and does a full (noisy) melee kill instead, after which any other/new enemies know your presence.

This seems to be an issue especially in the Financial District (end of hotel spoiler:
when Ellie backs you up with a rifle
because the game tries to force you into melee there. If you don't go into open combat, the game cannot proceed and it will keep spawning enemies on your ass until you do.

I had it happen in the Hotel too (also on Grounded).

Hope you mean this otherwise that does sound like a glitch :(

its a full on glitch I was quite methodical on taking down every enemy via stealth, got to the last guy (and I knew he was the last as I scouted the entire area) killed him stealthily then more enemies spawned on full alert, happened twice in chapter 5

tlousgf8yu6a.gif

nib95

Banned
I DID IT! I f-ing beat the basement level in Grounded, only took me 10 tries and almost all my ammo but it was worth it. Whoever decided to put a bloater near the door is a dick.

Just run up the concrete ramp following the power cables, then turn right before the entrance the bloater appears from, and hide and wait there. They will initially wall past you, then dash to the door, swipe your card and done. At first I thought you had to take on the bloater, but you actually don't lol.

kubus

its a full on glitch I was quite methodical on taking down every enemy via stealth, got to the last guy (and I knew he was the last as I scouted the entire area) killed him stealthily then more enemies spawned on full alert, happened twice in chapter 5
Huh, this would be a huge coincidence, but did this happen to you in that large area in front of the Kingston Bookstore? Right after passing the abandoned military checkpoint. Because I just replayed this part (missed a Ellie joke so had to redo the whole chapter ughh) and I think I just had the same glitch you are describing. I have this place fully memorized by now as I've passed it using stealth many times using the same strategy, and when I moved to the last enemy, I noticed he was frozen. Now, this happens a lot in TLoU and was also a common bug in the PS3 version, but when I strangler him, Joel didn't say "That was way too close" so there had to be more enemies around. I snuck around and I was right. Two groups of three guys were waiting at the bottom and the top of a staircase. They only spawn if you're spotted (which is quite cheap imo :p) but I am 100% confident I wasn't spotted. Luckily these guys were also frozen so I killed them easily. But yeah that was weird.

Pittsburgh is a pretty buggy place if you ask me.

Apparently there is a glitch you can do to be able to increase the difficulty in ng+. I may try that as I don't know if I want to do grounded twice lol.

Yeah, it works. I can say it doesn't help a whole lot because basically everything kills you in one hit still and you won't have much ammo to benefit from having the guns upgraded :/.

Huh, this would be a huge coincidence, but did this happen to you in that large area in front of the Kingston Bookstore? Right after passing the abandoned military checkpoint. Because I just replayed this part (missed a Ellie joke so had to redo the whole chapter ughh) and I think I just had the same glitch you are describing. I have this place fully memorized by now as I've passed it using stealth many times using the same strategy, and when I moved to the last enemy, I noticed he was frozen. Now, this happens a lot in TLoU and was also a common bug in the PS3 version, but when I strangler him, Joel didn't say "That was way too close" so there had to be more enemies around. I snuck around and I was right. Two groups of three guys were waiting at the bottom and the top of a staircase. They only spawn if you're spotted (which is quite cheap imo :p) but I am 100% confident I wasn't spotted. Luckily these guys were also frozen so I killed them easily. But yeah that was weird.

Pittsburgh is a pretty buggy place if you ask me.

sounds similar, except I had 1 guy spawn at each of the 4 points thet lead back to the ground all on full alert

KORNdoggy

Just run up the concrete ramp following the power cables, then turn right before the entrance the bloater appears from, and hide and wait there. They will initially wall past you, then dash to the door, swipe your card and done. At first I thought you had to take on the bloater, but you actually don't lol.

as is the case with most encounters. my first playthrough on hard was way worse then it was on survivor or grounded because i thought i had to fight everything.

kubus

I've read that collectibles were glitched in the PS3 version, are they still?

I played a bit of Pittsburgh and opened two shiv doors to get two collectibles I missed out on in my previous playthrough. These were then registered in the collectibles progress overview in Chapter select. Shortly after that (without finishing the chapter) I realized I missed one of Ellie's jokes so I restarted the entire chapter and overwrote my save. I got all my shivs back but the collectibles I grabbed earlier are still there in the chapter overview, even though I haven't grabbed them again in my restarted save.

Is this a really useful exploit for grabbing collectibles without using shivs or do I still need to open those doors and grab the collectibles again?

Great game so far, I feel as though my expectations were a little too high as so far I've been entertained but not slapped in the face amazed (only two games have managed that in my entire gaming career though which was UC2 and KOTOR2.)

Though I haven't finished it yet, I've just completed
The fight outside the hotel when Ellie uses the rifle
. And I've heard winter is pretty awesome.

The game really captures the fight for survival in a world gone bad really well, better than any game I've played in quite some time. The fact that this translates to the multiplayer really well is an achievement too.

Rixxan

Great game so far, I feel as though my expectations were a little too high as so far I've been entertained but not slapped in the face amazed (only two games have managed that in my entire gaming career though which was UC2 and KOTOR2.)

Though I haven't finished it yet, I've just completed
The fight outside the hotel when Ellie uses the rifle
. And I've heard winter is pretty awesome.

The game really captures the fight for survival in a world gone bad really well, better than any game I've played in quite some time. The fact that this translates to the multiplayer really well is an achievement too.

The best is yet to come

x-Lundz-x

I think my grounded playthrough is glitching, it seems when i stealth take down certain enemies the game automatically spawns full alerted enemies :/ also i didnt have a shiv for a shive door :/

There is definitively some kind of glitch, especially with clickers. If you alert clickers and then die and the checkpoint reloads they are aware of your presence regardless of your stealth. It's pretty frustrating actually.

Also check my post history for creating infinite shivs. :)

icespide

Banned
Oh I see. Will I notice any load problems if I start playing after 11 GB or should I wait until I've downloaded the whole game?

if you reach a point that hasn't been downloaded yet, the game will tell you. From what I've heard with TLOU it's all handled pretty seamlessly though. I'd just go ahead and start playing. I have the disc version so I can't speak from experience specifically for this game.

Ozorov

if you reach a point that hasn't been downloaded yet, the game will tell you. From what I've heard with TLOU it's all handled pretty seamlessly though. I'd just go ahead and start playing. I have the disc version so I can't speak from experience specifically for this game.

Okey thank you! :)

kubus

Fuck the hotel on grounded btw. Not fun at all.

So easy to get caught and then a gazillion dudes seem to spawn from nowhere, they always know where you are, melee is wonky, guys always sneaking up on me... And no checkpoints. At all.

Seriously hate this part. Rather have 20 hotel basements than this shit.

End of rant. Now let's hope this complaining on the internet thing works and I get it next try.

Raptor

Im 9 hours in, got the
Shorty
, I can safely say this game has the most satisfying gunplay feedback in any third person shoter ever, gibs + backwards after a point blank shot, the mess it makes, the sound, god damn.

Also Ellie is hilarious in her little comments she makes, after a blody kill "Jesus Joel!!!" or "Oh man" that "Oh man" is fucking hilarious IMO, adds a lot to her personality.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Im 9 hours in, got the
Shorty
, I can safely say this game has the most satisfying gunplay feedback in any third person shoter ever, gibs + backwards after a point blank shot, the mess it makes, the sound, god damn.

Also Ellie is hilarious in her little comments she makes, after a blody kill "Jesus Joel!!!" or "Oh man" that "Oh man" is fucking hilarious IMO, adds a lot to her personality.

Hands down. Check out my vid lol

best gunplay ever,

glottis8

Banned
Im 9 hours in, got the
Shorty

I feel like she does it more frequently in the ps4 remaster than on my ps3. Also, i have encountered several times where entering an optional dialogue that has audio on top of her idling. So she will start talking about an event, and then on top she starts to whistle.

Top Bottom