• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC |OT| More Olivier Than Ever

Famassu

They would love to, but they can't find the game on PSN.
;P

Also, who are those three heartless monsters who gave three negative ratings on Steam?
I read two negative reviews on Steam. One was some kind of weird "everyone else is praising this game, so I will offer a differing negative opinion even though I don't actually think this game is bad" review and the other was clearly by a person who sucked at playing the game, complaining about the first dungeon and something about constantly running out of HP and having to go back to the resting place (which is weird because he claimed to have played through FC without any problems).

Dio

Banned
I read two negative reviews on Steam. One was some kind of weird "everyone else is praising this game, so I will offer a differing negative opinion even though I don't actually think this game is bad" review and the other was clearly by a person who sucked at playing the game, complaining about the first dungeon and something about constantly running out of HP and having to go back to the resting place (which is weird because he claimed to have played through FC without such problems).

To be fair, I've talked to people who played Ys and assumed you were supposed to start FC/SC on the hardest available difficulty (because Oath in Felghana and Origin were fucking awesome on Nightmare) and were suddenly like 'wow what? hard/nightmare are just fucking grinding?' and I had to tell them that normal is actually normal for Trails.

wrowa

I read two negative reviews on Steam. One was some kind of weird "everyone else is praising this game, so I will offer a differing negative opinion even though I don't actually think this game is bad" review and the other was clearly by a person who sucked at playing the game, complaining about the first dungeon and something about constantly running out of HP and having to go back to the resting place (which is weird because he claimed to have played through FC without any problems).

Oh, now that you say it, I actually commented on that second review a couple days ago (after I finished playing through SC). Mostly because you can see that the reviewer has played the game for 60 hours by now and I was kinda curios if he still dislikes it. He didn't reply to me, though. ;(

Famassu

To be fair, I've talked to people who played Ys and assumed you were supposed to start FC/SC on the hardest available difficulty (because Oath in Felghana and Origin were fucking awesome on Nightmare) and were suddenly like 'wow what? hard/nightmare are just fucking grinding?' and I had to tell them that normal is actually normal for Trails.
I went back to check and and seems like he was playing on Normal:

It seems to me like after every battle I fight, I have to go back and rest, as the enemys all deal roughly 1/5 of my hp in one attack (on normal difficulty). Most of the enemies in this game now seem to also have an inordinate amount of defense vs. physical attacks and the only real way to take them out is with arts.

I mean, sounds like he didn't equip any water Quartz or something, since he had to constantly go back to the resting place for HP. Or something.

Oh wow you guys weren't kidding chapter 9
Josette is bad, like is there any way to make her remotely decent outside of lol denede slippers?

Also people who've played TC
Is she any better in TC? I was excited to use Josette but it'll be tough to justify after a certain point in SC

Not really. Still like the kid that would be picked last in P.E., only to complete a team.

... Damn :[

Like who thought it was a good idea
to give her a craft that is the same as Kloe's but without the attack down which is far more valuable?

Diablos54

So I was on the final chapter of my full BP new game + playthrough of FC, knew that I had a while to go and just thought screw it. Loaded up my save at the final scene, watched it and straight into SC. Already its glorious. Just met Kevin on the plane, knew it was him when he was called 'Unsensitive Jerk', he seems fun.

And now I'm running around Rolent all excited to see what's changed, it's almost too much to take!

... Damn :[

Like who thought it was a good idea
to give her a craft that is the same as Kloe's but without the attack down which is far more valuable?
Craft at least damages enemies, which is more than can be said for
Kaempfer

I've heard
bringing Kloe and Josette to the Loewe fight
activates a funny(-ish) conversation, but I wonder if there's a way to see that without downing Shining Poms to help the latter member.

ch.6 was very good.

good gameplay/story balance. the mayor's steward, lol. estelle was surprisingly badass in this chapter.

the hype is back.

zakujanai

Chapter 9
Holy moly, Muelle's attack power is absurdly high.

Really? I took him along with
Olivier
purely for the sake of having this two together in scenes. He was a massive burden the whole way through the end as he was weaker than the others and had pretty rubbish crafts

Diablos54

Finished the prologue, so good. Hell even the intro before the prologue was great. I didn't even figure everything out until after the battle and comparing the battle styles in my head. Great hearing all the returning music and the new music is great so far too.

Already a lot more happening than the start of FC, really does feel like the second half of FC in every way, doesn't even feel like a different game at all in many ways and that's exactly what I wanted.

Dio

Banned
Interestingly, I got this even though I didn't get full BP in chapter 6, and I missed a hidden side quest that I believe
Gilbert is in
too.

Same. Much like I got the Anton sidequest thingy outta nowhere and before I even finished it.

wrowa

Interestingly, I got this even though I didn't get full BP in chapter 6, and I missed a hidden side quest that I believe
Gilbert is in
too.

Well, the achievement's
description says "Don't ever lose to him". You didn't technically lose to him by not beating him in chapter 6 (I assume you just ran out of time during that, which I would count as a draw) or outright missing him in chapter 8.

zakujanai

Well, the achievement's
description says "Don't ever lose to him". You didn't technically lose to him by not beating him in chapter 6 (I assume you just ran out of time during that, which I would count as a draw) or outright missing him in chapter 8.

I think that's what it was. I assumed you'd have to
encounter him every time and win each encounter. I wonder if you could miss the Jenis one out too. I didn't lose to him though (ran out of time like you said) so technically it's not wrong.

Taruranto

Final boss spoilers

http://i.imgur.com/OLvYaJb.jpg

Phew. Mueller got sucked away midway through the fight, but apart from that it was mostly painless. Loewe fight was bananas on other hand.

Can't really say I'm satisfied with the Oroborous/Aidios/Aureule plotline. For two games that are like wat, long as 3 LotR, you really get very few backstory on the game-world religion.

The nature of the Goddess in the Sky and the Aureule is vague as it was in the beginning.

Whew, finally cleared Chapter 7.

Had some difficulty against Renne's fight at first, but easily mitigated that with some deathblow prevention items.

Anyways, so THAT's the Aureole o_o

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Final boss spoilers

http://i.imgur.com/OLvYaJb.jpg

Phew. Mueller got sucked away midway through the fight, but apart from that it was mostly painless. Loewe fight was bananas on other hand.

Can't really say I'm satisfied with the Oroborous/Aidios/Aureule plotline. For two games that are like wat, long as 3 LotR, you really get very few backstory on the game-world religion.

The nature of the Goddess in the Sky and the Aureule is vague as it was in the beginning.

The data crystals give some details about the Aureole, that clears up a decent amount about it. I think the rest of the questions remain because they are key elements of the story for the entire series, not just these two games.

Anyways, so THAT's the Aureole o_o

Eh, sort of? :p

And you know, my biggest complaint about FC and SC is that you can't move + action. But the enemies can. Does this EVER get fixed in a future entry, or are we forever forced to choose to move OR perform an action?

Yeah, EVO series has it afaik.

Don't know about the other sequels, but I assume it should be implemented.

Also, sort of, huh. Hopefully I get to read up on those
data crystals.
Stopped deciphering after it took me too much time.

Had to try several times until I managed to win that fight in chapter 6 before the time limit. Eventually I got a perfect storm of having the enemies were I wanted them and critical turns.
Had a lot of fun trying to figure out the right strategy with what I had available.
I like it when fights
have different outcomes depending on your performance.

Taruranto

The data crystals give some details about the Aureole, that clears up a decent amount about it. I think the rest of the questions remain because they are key elements of the story for the entire series, not just these two games.

Do they? They really don't tell much about the Aureole itself in the end other than it grants wishes and it's semi-sentient. They are mostly on how it was sealed.

The very nature of the Aureole and as well Aidios herself is basically unexplained. Not even few hints are given.

max_505

Yeah, EVO series has it afaik.

Don't know about the other sequels, but I assume it should be implemented.

Also, sort of, huh. Hopefully I get to read up on those
data crystals.
Stopped deciphering after it took me too much time.

Decipher as in you read it with all the blacked out/redacted text?
It'll be deciphered a couple at a time in the last chapter, I think after you unlock a new area/beat some mini-bosses/trigger some important cutscenes. Check the work station (left corner of the room) near where Prof. Russell is standing (inside the Arseille) to read the data crystals

Just ran into a pretty annoying glitch. After the fight in chapter 6 I mentioned above my character was constantly getting stuck, forcing me to reload my save.
I was starting to worry that I wouldn't be able to get out of there.
It seems to happen whenever I get close to those barriers that raise from the ground.

Decipher as in you read it with all the blacked out/redacted text?
It'll be deciphered a couple at a time in the last chapter, I think after you unlock a new area/beat some mini-bosses/trigger some important cutscenes. Check the work station (left corner of the room) near where Prof. Russell is standing (inside the Arseille) to read the data crystals

Yeah, I meant that. Thanks.

Psxphile

Just ran into a pretty annoying glitch. After the fight in chapter 6 I mentioned above my character was constantly getting stuck, forcing me to reload my save.
I was starting to worry that I wouldn't be able to get out of there.
It seems to happen whenever I get close to those barriers that raise from the ground.

Yeah, I got this too. Doesn't seem common considering I've yet to see anyone else here talk about it. I think maybe it's a bug that might have been introduced in the last patch.

Bladenic

HOLY SHIT AT (Chapter 5)
Silver Will playing throughout the mine. I heard that track years ago, before even FC, at the top of a Top 100 best battle themes on Youtube. And loved it. It's so damn good.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Do they? They really don't tell much about the Aureole itself in the end other than it grants wishes and it's semi-sentient. They are mostly on how it was sealed.

The very nature of the Aureole and as well Aidios herself is basically unexplained. Not even few hints are given.

Yeah, basically that. But apparently the story still isn't done with the Aureole after SC, let alone the other Sept Terrions.

damn, this game is easy enough already. you want to be even more powerful?

It's more that it's just annoying. The game is clearly balanced around not being able to move and do actions, but I shouldn't have to decide to have a character waste a turn and do nothing because performing an action will be detrimental to the next character's turn - something that could be alleviated if you could position yourself and perform an action.

It also makes line arts completely useless in reality, even though they are interesting in theory.

I've heard people say the same about Chains, but like Line Arts they're situational and excellent when you've buffed up speed and manipulated turn order just right. Something like Ragna Blast can be more useful than Flicker. You have to learn enemies' behaviors and game them into taking action the way you want, of course; Chains remain the ditch option for eliminating monsters from turn progression.

Re: The Artifact,
we need to know if Aidios's gifts are basically magic or if they have a science behind them you could hack in the right circumstances. The Aureole is an over-protective miracle engine that naturally lead to Liber Ark centering around leisure, which spiraled out of control and became drug-like addiction, destroying the citizens emotionally. It's a pseudo-sentient opium transmitter which also happens to harness any Orbal energy around it, and (most importantly) controls Aidios's element of space, being able to wrap itself into new dimensions. I'd say a few hints are given, and obviously Falcom's got more games to go before explaining the full history of Zemuria and Aidios

Re: "Blorf",
just fight Gilbert every time (including the Jenis hidden quest) and don't lose. You're not fit to be a Bracer if Dalmore's former steward can beat you

Dio

Banned
I've heard people say the same about Chains, but like Line Arts they're situational and excellent when you've buffed up speed and manipulated turn order just right. Something like Ragna Blast can be more useful than Flicker. You have to learn enemies' behaviors and game them into taking action the way you want, of course; Chains remain the ditch option for eliminating monsters from turn progression.

Re: The Artifact,
we need to know if Aidios's gifts are basically magic or if they have a science behind them you could hack in the right circumstances. The Aureole is an over-protective miracle engine that naturally lead to Liber Ark centering around leisure, which spiraled out of control and became drug-like addiction, destroying the citizens emotionally. It's a pseudo-sentient opium transmitter which also happens to harness any Orbal energy around it, and (most importantly) controls Aidios's element of space, being able to wrap itself into new dimensions. I'd say a few hints are given, and obviously Falcom's got more games to go before explaining the full history of Zemuria and Aidios

Re: "Blorf",
just fight Gilbert every time (including the Jenis hidden quest) and don't lose. You're not fit to be a Bracer if Dalmore's former steward can beat you

Also
there are six more god damned Sept-Terrions. The fact that the Aureole was so god damned powerful makes me wonder what the hell the others do.

Also
there are six god damned Sept-Terrions. The fact that the Aureole was so god damned powerful makes me wonder what the hell the others do.

Shouldn't there be 7 ? Or do you mean 6 more ? Or is this some weird thing where there's 6 Sept-Terrions ?

rickyson1

there a good story summary somewhere?

I played this quite a bit when it was released but got fatigued on it just after finishing chapter 7 and stopped playing for a while

about time I finished it but i've probably forgotten quite a few things stopping for like three weeks almost 50 hours in the way I did

there a good story summary somewhere?

I played this quite a bit when it was released but got fatigued on it just after finishing chapter 7 and stopped playing for a while

about time I finished it but i've probably forgotten quite a few things stopping for like three weeks almost 50 hours in the way I did

If you were buying the liberl news along the way you should be able to simply read those for a recap of the main plot.

It's more that it's just annoying. The game is clearly balanced around not being able to move and do actions, but I shouldn't have to decide to have a character waste a turn and do nothing because performing an action will be detrimental to the next character's turn - something that could be alleviated if you could position yourself and perform an action.

It also makes line arts completely useless in reality, even though they are interesting in theory.

i didn't test this, but it always felt like you lost less turn points if you chose to move.

i understand this is another cpu walks forward to hit you with a flash kick street fighter 2 situation.

yes, line arts are very situational, but they're balanced. compare that to those op cookies. i bet you could win the game just with cookies.

i didn't test this, but it always felt like you lost less turn points if you chose to move.

i understand this is another cpu walks forward to hit you with a flash kick street fighter 2 situation.

yes, line arts are very situational, but they're balanced. compare that to those op cookies. i bet you could win the game just with cookies.

The game even knows this giving you an op food item right before one of the harder battles for 100% in the game in chapter 6

Man, the ending of chapter 6...that was great. Kudos to the writers and our friends at CF/XSeed once again.
Estelle never disappoints, her lines and facial expressions are an incredible combo.

Nohar

What was that update? It broke my controller, I had to re-configure it (and even then I can't walk anymore: it is stuck in perma-run or perma-walk, no matter how I push the left Joystick).

Edit: Oh crap. It completly blocked the directions. I no longer have the freedom of movement of before, I'm restricted to the N-NE-E-SE-S-SW-W-NW axis!

Sara

What was that update? It broke my controller, I had to re-configure it (and even then I can't walk anymore: it is stuck in perma-run or perma-walk, no matter how I push the left Joystick).

Edit: Oh crap. It completly blocked the directions. I no longer have the freedom of movement of before, I'm restricted to the N-NE-E-SE-S-SW-W-NW axis!
Sounds like the analog setting might be turned off, essentially forcing you into digital mode. That's the only way the stick could be stuck to 8-directional movement too.

Nohar

Sounds like the analog setting might be turned off, essentially forcing you into digital mode.

The thing is, it isn't. The Analog box in the option menu is ticked. Everything worked perfectly, and after today's update it suddenly doesn't. I managed to somehow make the analog setting work again (by switching from "XBOX 360 for Windows" to "Wireless controller" - I use a PS4 gamepag with the "DS4 to XInput" software), but now the game considers that the camera is always rotating (the Rotate Left/Rotate Right is always ON now). This is becoming very annoying.

Edition: I didn't know you were a developper Sara. Didn't realize you and the Sara from the Steam forums were the same person. Had I known that, my message here would have been more formal and less complainy. My apologies.
Disabling the Right Stick Camera solved my camera issue, allowing me to resume playing normally. Thank you!

Bladenic

Just finished chapter 5 with 45 hours lmao I have been playing more often recently though thankfully. But damn this game is long. Am I halfway through at least?

duckroll

Yes the controls are all gimped now. Hopefully they had enough fixes for everything else to make it worthwhile. Lol.

Psxphile

Can confirm analog stick not working to its full potential and acting like a digital pad. Using PS3 controller w/ Mayflash wireless adapter in Xinput mode.

Top Bottom