• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel |OT| Class Warfare

Eylos

Banned
62 hours and all I've got is that ending?????? I'm MAD!!! No really, this is one of the best games on Vita, I've almost got A0...shit! People who were disappointed in ME3 ending need to play this game and then they will understand what is the real pain.

welcome to the wait club for the sequel

I'd almost guarantee that placeholder date is going to be the final date. We're barely over a month out and no retailer has changed the date yet, I'd like to think that they would have had them change the date by now if it were later than that. They've also been saying nothing about CS2 lately and have been talking about games 4+ months out instead, we're due for some news.

Eylos

Banned
I'd almost guarantee that placeholder date is going to be the final date. We're barely over a month out and no retailer has changed the date yet, I'd like to think that they would have had them change the date by now if it were later than that. They've also been saying nothing about CS2 lately and have been talking about games 4+ months out instead, we're due for some news.

they posted a video about cooking in trails of cold steel 2 today.

https://www.facebook.com/XSEEDTrails/videos/1485106008181474/

they posted a video about cooking in trails of cold steel 2 today.

https://www.facebook.com/XSEEDTrails/videos/1485106008181474/

Guess I'd notice if I were following their facebook. As far as twitter goes though they've been saying next to nothing other than the stream and the cooking tweet.

So guys, I've kinda got burned out on Trails in the Sky, is this game just more of the same thing?

Depends on what you didn't like about Sky. If it was all the dialogue then this is more of the same, even though this has more excitement to it throughout the game and it's not all lumped near the end like Sky.

Squire

Banned

There's been s couple updates on the Traiks FB page, but just to say QA is ongoing basically.

Edit: Oh, I didn't even see the cooking post!

So guys, I've kinda got burned out on Trails in the Sky, is this game just more of the same thing?

Burned out by you didn't like it or you just had your fill and can't take anymore atm?

Either way its more of the same but with obvious QoL improvements and major improvements to the battle system.

the battle system and graphics are huge improvements there is no doubt, if you like persona you will enjoy more CS

I wouldn't really say there's a graphical improvement. Sky's visual style tends to age a lot better, the character sprites are incredibly charming and the backgrounds have a very nice amount of detail put into them, making it a pleasing game to look at.
CS is the typical PS3 era low budget japanese 3D game with animation as basic as possible, extremely low poly geometry and blury textures.
Not that we're playing these for the graphics but Sky holds up infinitely better imo.

I wouldn't really say there's a graphical improvement. Sky's visual style tends to age a lot better, the character sprites are incredibly charming and the backgrounds have a very nice amount of detail put into them, making it a pleasing game to look at.
CS is the typical PS3 era low budget japanese 3D game with animation as basic as possible, extremely low poly geometry and blury textures.
Not that we're playing these for the graphics but Sky holds up infinitely better imo.

I would say that Trails in the Sky looks pretty unappealing myself. The prerendered sprites have no character to them, nothing like, say, the sprites in Breath of Fire IV. The backgrounds are functional at best. When it tries to do elaborate cutscenes, such as one-on-one duels, the results are unimpressive. The only positive aspect of the visuals is the expressive character portraits, which help greatly in giving the characters personality.

Now awkward 3D looks still worse than awkward 2D, but it doesn't change the fact that Trails in the Sky is not a looker.

Korigama

Hm, figured that I might as well ask this here before doing anything else. Between the two choices for a Master Quartz toward the end of the game, which one would be better for Nightmare NG+, Thor or Chevalier? Granted, I figured I would be relying more upon a maxed out Moebius than anything else.

DMiz

They all sound like they managed to keep their original VAs, which is great. They do sound a bit different, though. I agree that it's hard to pass judgment on only a few seconds and in a small clip, but I also see where the comment on them being more "relaxed" is warranted.

Kind of hyped. I actually convinced some family members to play the game and they have been hooked, while simultaneously really pissed off that they need to wait for Part II.

Squire

Banned
They all sound like they managed to keep their original VAs, which is great. They do sound a bit different, though. I agree that it's hard to pass judgment on only a few seconds and in a small clip, but I also see where the comment on them being more "relaxed" is warranted.

Kind of hyped. I actually convinced some family members to play the game and they have been hooked, while simultaneously really pissed off that they need to wait for Part II.

The localization producer for CS2 said they got everyone from CS1 back and of course there's voices for new characters and characters that are returning, but who weren't voiced before.

They even re-recorded things like battle quotes and Rean's actor actually played CS1 himself and wanted to improve his delivery on old lines.

DMiz

The localization producer for CS2 said they got everyone from CS1 back and of course there's voices for new characters and characters that are returning, but who weren't voiced before.

They even re-recorded things like battle quotes and Rean's actor actually played CS1 himself and wanted to improve his delivery on old lines.

That's impressive and terrific! I actually really liked Rean's voice in CS1; despite the fact that I find Rean's character a bit boring - he's written too straight-laced and is woefully the typical 'I'm popular with all the ladies but oblivious to all of them' hero/leader - I had nothing to complain about with regards to his voice. Great quality to it.

Looked him (Sean Chiplock) up on Behind the Voice Actor and was surprised to see he hasn't done too many games. He should hopefully be getting more work soon as I'd like to hear him voice some more protagonists in up and coming JRPGs.

Cornbread78

Yay, just beat the first chp.4 field study monster on my first try! This are looking up, lol.

Also, how does cooking work in this game? I have about millon ingrediants...

Eylos

Banned
Yay, just beat the first chp.4 field study monster on my first try! This are looking up, lol.

Also, how does cooking work in this game? I have about millon ingrediants...

You get the recipe and the ingredients, then you can make it, it's in the menu where you see your quests, select the recipe, who is going to cook and done

Cornbread78

You get the recipe and the ingredients, then you can make it, it's in the menu where you see your quests, select the recipe, who is going to cook and done

Ok, TY. I thought there was a seprate menu I couldn't find like Star Ocean or Tales of* games..

Zephyx

One thing I wish in the next games is an improvement on their victory quotes/poses. It's the one thing I loved from the Tales series.

Jeffrey

So I messed up and didn't pick Towa on my first playthrough, how quickly can i replay the game on ng+? Kinda want to get that done before 2 comes out, but still working on tokyo mirage session and other games.

Eylos

Banned
So I messed up and didn't pick Towa on my first playthrough, how quickly can i replay the game on ng+? Kinda want to get that done before 2 comes out, but still working on tokyo mirage session and other games.

From what i know the dance is not relevant for character development in cs2, but if you want you can skip dialogue in new game plus Just press O for 3 seconds

Korigama

Didn't get an answer earlier, so I just went with Chevalier (kept a separate save in case I change my mind, though). Looking around elsewhere, Thor probably would've been better, but it doesn't seem to matter as much when carrying over levels.

Eylos

Banned
Didn't get an answer earlier, so I just went with Chevalier (kept a separate save in case I change my mind, though). Looking around elsewhere, Thor probably would've been better, but it doesn't seem to matter as much when carrying over levels.
I played without a guide and missed both :(

Korigama

I played without a guide and missed both :(
In my case, not using a guide (decided to tread lightly when searching topics over on GameFAQs for that issue), just being ridiculously thorough (but still only managed one chapter grade of S anyway, so whatever I may have overlooked will just have to wait).

You get to choose one of them as a bonus award for getting the final Lionheart medal from Vandyck.

Thor: same one used by
Instructor Sara
; Wind-based, allows for absorbing HP/EP when using attacks and crafts
Chevalier: same one used by
Instructor Neithardt
; Space-based, damage dealt goes up as HP decreases (minimum 1.5x)

Zephyx

Doesn't really matter since there are better MQ than either Thors/Chevalier. You're probably better off using either Vermillion, Orochi or Murakumo. :)

Korigama

Doesn't really matter since there are better MQ than either Thors/Chevalier. You're probably better off using either Vermillion, Orochi or Murakumo. :)
Still don't have Vermillion or Orochi available, but did buy Murakumo recently (earned Emblem for the A1 bonus, already maxed out every MQ available to me before those and Chevalier by swapping out old ones throughout the party as they maxed). Good to hear it wasn't a make or break decision, though.

aravuus

Incredibly charming? Wonder if we're even playing the same game lol, I think they look absolutely terrible. Some of the worst looking sprites I've seen in 2D/2.5D JRPGs.

TiTS and CS both look prettttttty bad, but aside from the animations, I like CS much better myself. But, like you said, it's not like the graphics really matter.

e: V the portraits look great, that's for sure. The pre-rendered ugly 3D sprites don't.

Nyoro SF

Definitely agree that the 2D, especially the portraits, have a lot of charm compared to awkward 3D models. Comparing them to straight 2D linear sprites like Chrono Trigger is a bit unfair and the game is definitely not some graphical masterpiece by any stretch, but drawn art really is timeless when executed well, and I think FC and SC have done a fine job.

(I especially like the combat scenes... guess it's a taste thing, as I always viewed them as little clashing chess pieces, which reminds me of fun little old-school strategy games)

danthefan

Depends on what you didn't like about Sky. If it was all the dialogue then this is more of the same, even though this has more excitement to it throughout the game and it's not all lumped near the end like Sky.

the battle system and graphics are huge improvements there is no doubt, if you like persona you will enjoy more CS

Burned out by you didn't like it or you just had your fill and can't take anymore atm?

Either way its more of the same but with obvious QoL improvements and major improvements to the battle system.

Thanks all. I really enjoyed it initially but I guess I played about 20 hours and just kinda stopped. I haven't totally given up on it but haven't played it for a while now. I'll think about getting this anyway. And I do enjoy Persona for sure.

Korigama

Thanks all. I really enjoyed it initially but I guess I played about 20 hours and just kinda stopped. I haven't totally given up on it but haven't played it for a while now. I'll think about getting this anyway. And I do enjoy Persona for sure.
Be sure to get the Lionheart Edition for its bonuses if you do. Same price as the standard edition for Vita at this point, cheaper than that on PS3.

Jeffrey

From what i know the dance is not relevant for character development in cs2, but if you want you can skip dialogue in new game plus Just press O for 3 seconds

So it's not some romance option flag that affects stuff in 2?

What carries over to 2?

Gu4n

Holy shit. I assume that's multiple play throughs?
That is, indeed, all seven games including re-plays of FC, The 3rd, Sen II and the SC re-play I'm busy with right now.
_

That said, I understand how you can burn out on FC during first playthrough. It's slow and you haven't learnt what to pay attention to in the games, making it much more interesting on your second time through. I would advise to give the game a fair chance until the end of Chapter 2. If that's not the point where you think 'well, that was certainly unique and interesting', then it's not a game for you. My wife also dropped Trails in the Sky during chapter 1 but completely loved Trails of Cold Steel, played through the game twice in succession, proudly owns its platinum trophy and said she would prioritise Cold Steel II over Persona 5 if she were to have to make a decision this September.

So by all means, give Cold Steel a shot. It's a bit more accessible to newcomers as long as you won't let a girl named Alisa scare you during the Prologue.

Zephyx

Or a girl name Elise scare you during the later chapters

Didn't really find any of the characters creepy. It's just your run-of-the-mill tropey presentation of characters. The only thing I dislike about them is Rean being dense and Alisa not putting herself forward. I guess that commonly happens in animes too.

zakujanai

I was fighting the final boss last night, got it down to about ~1/3 health left and the game freezes. I was pissed and it was already about 1:15am. Looks like I'll have to go back and finish it tonight.

I will say, I was not ready for any of what had happened prior. Hoooooly shit.

If we're talking the real final boss
Crow in the big Gundam mech
then the same thing happened to me. Didn't take long to beat the second time though. If it was the one at the end of the last dungeon, I don't envy you having to fight that again.

Gu4n

I find it hard to judge characters without knowing their whole background story. My opinion on Agate did an 180 in SC, my love for Kevin was further cemented in The 3rd, and Rean stole my heart in CS2 - and that story isn't even remotely finished yet.

I'm positive Elise, too, will get her chance to shine. She doesn't get a role this prominent in the story for no reason. The question is: what will her role be?

zakujanai

I find it hard to judge characters without knowing their whole background story. My opinion on Agate did an 180 in SC, my love for Kevin was further cemented in The 3rd, and Rean stole my heart in CS2 - and that story isn't even remotely finished yet.

I'm positive Elise, too, will get her chance to shine. She doesn't get a role this prominent in the story for no reason. The question is: what will her role be?

I found Agate rather dull on my first play of FC. I still remember the moment I saw him coming out of Ravennue on my second play (whilst awaiting SC release) and realising why he was there hit me like a brick to the face.

This makes me think I need to get on with a Cold Steel replay before the second one is out, maybe I'll realise something about Gaius that shocks me enough to be interested in him too.

Squire

Banned

That's a good question actually!

Honestly, I do like Elise. She's entirely pleasant, I just don't quite know what to make her relationship (or, uh, lack thereof) with Rean. So yes, it'll be interesting to see where that goes.

Rean, I'm already completely sold on as a protagonist. He's a total choir boy, but one thing I think CS is genius about is having the people around him pick up on that and follow it to its logical conclusion. Usually lead characters like Rean (in most anime or what have you) are entirely headstrong and confident against all odds. They put their all into everything and never tire. They always get back up even that means outright defying the internal logic of the work itself. People aren't like that though and Trails seems very intent on making its characters believable people.

So, Rean overcompensates and characters notice; he's very altruistic, but he also seems to really struggle with his identity and self-worth. There's a hint of Fear of Success™ baked into
the "hidden power" angle
, too, I think.

The main cast of CS is characterized and developed really well across the board though, I think. They're just not done growing. This was only the first chapter of what's obviously a much bigger, longer story.

Gu4n

This makes me think I need to get on with a Cold Steel replay before the second one is out, maybe I'll realise something about Gaius that shocks me enough to be interested in him too.
There is. Zephyx here found it a couple of pages earlier, and it's one of the reasons I think Gaius could be the/a protagonist for CS3.

He's probably the most potentially interesting Class VII member.

Top Bottom