• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel |OT| Class Warfare

Bladenic

Damn, you guys weren't kidding that the connection from all the Trails game would show up in some form! Even the most minor NPC from Trails in the Sky: Second Chapter makes an appearance in Cold Steel.
Anton and Ricky of all people shows up as one of the hidden sidequests in chapter 2.
Seriously? I was surprised because I actually remembered them because did I that achievement back in Trails in the Sky: SC . Also, in the same chapter, did anyone else had a hard time fighting against
the two dogs at the end of Chapter 2 on hard?
It got to a point where I spammed on S-Crafts to deal damage because they hit really hard.

I recognized him but then I can't for the life of me recall his quest or where he was in SC.

Varion

What does Septium Vein having Teara mean? It doesn't give me the spell so is that just a mistake?
It's a mistake. It's true for the Dragon Vein quartz, too, by the looks of it. I...have no idea how the hell that happened. There aren't even any quartz of that element that have Teara, so it wasn't a mispaste...

Urgh. But yeah, ignore it and sorry for the confusion. I have no idea how those two quartz ended up saying they have Teara, but they don't.

I recognized him but then I can't for the life of me recall his quest or where he was in SC.

In SC
Anton's only story quest is the one where he and Olivier use the potion to try and out drink the Rolent bracer secretary lady. Before and after this you can see Anton randomly around the world trying to find love and making a fool of himself/nearly dying while his buddy plays the straight man to his idiots shenanigans

Bladenic

In SC
Anton's only story quest is the one where he and Olivier use the potion to try and out drink the Rolent bracer secretary lady. Before and after this you can see Anton randomly around the world trying to find love and making a fool of himself/nearly dying while his buddy plays the straight man to his idiots shenanigans

OMG of course that quest was amazing

I can't get enough of "Don't Be Defeated By A Friend" best track in the game so far.

Man I love the character interaction.

Chapter 3 spoilers
So when Alisa is upset about her Mother not caring about her and complaining about it on the train I loved how Jusis chimed in saying at least her mother came out to greet her and her class where we had just seen in the previous chapter that Jusis father really is a shitty bastard and doesn't give a damn about his son, and he clearly doesn't do it out of spite or anything it really felt like he was actually somewhat jealous or maybe at the very least giving her another perspective.

It's odd how much I really love this cast despite some of them at times being rather annoying, I guess its just how well each of them are written it really goes go above and beyond giving character development, it never feels like anyone is left out either which is a really nice touch. Some people have said in this topic that they wish that the characters were introduced more slowly to you so you could get to know and develop certain ones before learning others but I think that's one thing that this game does really well is that there are so many interactions between each of the characters that we get to see and many of them don't really involve Rean.
I found Machias and Elliot together avoiding this girl who was looking for Machias and the little comments they made about it were just hilarious.

The characters truly make this game, and I think its not just the big moments but the little ones too, I love how you can see a ton of different students (most of which are named) and they'll interact with like your main characters as well with other ones and each of them have their own story. One in particular in chapter 3
With this one Noble that you see countless times hitting on different girls and then you get a quest to help him find someone who is sending him love letters and then when he finds out who it is... I thought it was amazing and I couldn't stop laughing.

Also quick question for chapter 2...
Can you beat Sara in a new game plus when you have to fight her as Rean/Jusis/Machias? If you can does anything change?

Bladenic

Quick question for chapter 2, Is there a shop location that let me me unlock slots in the ARCUS?

edit: also are red chest traps?

Yes. At the school it's the engineering location. In other places it's usually something with orbment or factory in the shop name. Trap chests are dark red and look cracked or infected even.

Quick question for chapter 2, Is there a shop location that let me me unlock slots in the ARCUS?

edit: also are red chest traps?

Red chests with a unique pattern are traps, yes.

You should be able to identify it from regular red chests easily.

At which location are you in chapter 2? Answer in spoiler.

Yes. At the school it's the engineering location. In other places it's usually something with orbment or factory in the shop name. Trap chests are dark red and look cracked or infected even.
Gotcha didnt notice that.

Red chests with a unique pattern are traps, yes.

You should be able to identify it from regular red chests easily.

At which location are you in chapter 2? Answer in spoiler.
Thanks, currently at
Bareahard

Just started late last night, finished up the intro dungeon. Characters are kinda trope-y but that was the case in TiTS, and if Falcom can do anything it's making tropes work really well.

And for the love of god, Jusis and Machina just need to
fuck and get it over with, they are both annoying as shit right now.

These battle themes I've heard ain't as good as SC, but they are sooooooooooooo goooooooooooooooood.

That's good, not to sound like a total prude but to be honest that can really influence my opinion of a game---I've still yet to get Bravely Default because that box-art is too embarrassing for me to buy lol.

One last concern I have is how does EXP work in this game? I get really anxious when you have a lot of characters and like to keep them fairly balanced, does the game have any leaked EXP or ways for characters you don't use often to catch up, or is it like Persona where basically once you chose your main Party the others were pretty much fucked?

Finally, is there a good, concise and straight-to-the-point summary for Tails of Sky before jumping into this as a sequel?

If you are capable of playing Sky: FC and SC, please, PLEASE do. Not because of anything super-crucial towards enjoyment of this, but they are sooooooooooo gooooooooooooooood and they do come before this one.

Fortunately (for me!) it is not as present as in a game like Persona, especially in the back half of the game. But if it was one of the selling points for you, you may be disappointed. That said, you still get your
SCHOOL FESTIVAL
arc which is apparently popular amongst people who like school stuff in games, so you have that to look forward to if that's your thing.

Do the dudes end up in drag in this one?
:p

Varion

Also quick question for chapter 2...
Can you beat Sara in a new game plus when you have to fight her as Rean/Jusis/Machias? If you can does anything change?
Nope. There aren't any fights that you can only win on NG+, you just get their HP down to 1 and then all of a sudden your attacks do 0 damage.

There's a recovery device in the city underground waterway's entrance, which allows you to unlock slots.
Can't identify more than that since you're a few days ahead of me.
Ahh thanks must have looked over that.

edit: :lol in the for akiba's strip: undead and undress on steam at 9 seconds in, there is a part of the cold steel trailer in the background screen.

Kazer

Shit,I forgot to scan most enemies in Chapter 1. I took it for granted after equipping the Info quartz.

RIP Battle Master trophy.

Shit! I forgot to do this too. :|

I think anything you scan will transfer over to NG+ though if you carry over the note so we should be able to scan stuff from the first few hours of the game for the trophy.

pariah164

4NAr3A3.jpg
Let's kick this pig.
cx7Uq3W.gif

Shizuka

Just started Chapter 3. Swapping characters in and out mid battle is a great mechanic. Really glad they added that in.

It kinda breaks the game when you get a big party and fill everyone up to 200CP each. Just start the battle against a boss, use all S-Crafts, battle is over before you even get to use all characters.

It kinda breaks the game when you get a big party and fill everyone up to 200CP each. Just start the battle against a boss, use all S-Crafts, battle is over before you even get to use all characters.

Yeah i felt like they gave the player a little too much power without significant drawbacks but we will see. I dont plan to pre prep grind cp for every fight and chrat myself

That said this game is really generous with CP gain

Yeah i felt like they gave the player a little too much power without significant drawbacks but we will see. I dont plan to pre prep grind cp for every fight and chrat myself

I am a fan of breaking games so this is good news to me.
Fie seems really strong as well. She was getting 2-3 turns before enemies could get 1 turn. She's probably got a permanent spot on my party now (whenever possible).

Shizuka

I am a fan of breaking games so this is good news to me.
Fie seems really strong as well. She was getting 2-3 turns before enemies could get 1 turn. She's probably got a permanent spot on my party now (whenever possible).

I always try to beat the boss without doing that first, but if the battle is just too much for me, I just reload my save and grind for full CP on every characters, that has always worked for me with every boss I needed.

Asd202

I've got a strange question. How big is CS II on Vita? I'm wondering if both CS I and II will fit into 8GB Memory card.

How do you take screenshots on the PS3? I can't seem to figure it out.

Also, (Chapter 1, after first free day)
Blublanc showed up earlier than I expected. I read the book in the library about Phantom Thief B, so I was expecting it, but still.

Also, is there a list of when and where you can the the Red Moon books?

Neoweee

So, with all of the talk about the game eventually breaking, is Hard the way to go?

I'm at the end of the Chapter 2 on Hard, and the game is still great.

EDIT: In what RPGs are Limit-Break styled moves actually balanced? It seems like this giant train wreck in most games that have them.

Varion

So, with all of the talk about the game eventually breaking, is Hard the way to go?

Yeah, probably. Normal is going to be too easy for anyone who likes any semblance of a challenge, while nightmare... Honestly, most of the game isn't too bad, but the final boss... Never again.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
How do you take screenshots on the PS3? I can't seem to figure it out.
Press the PS button an scroll over to the pictures category and an icon saying "screenshot" or something'll be there! It doesn't pause the game though so if ya wanna get like an actiony pic ya gotta kinda be prepared ahead of time.

Xenoflare

And getting CP seems to be much easier for me. Especially when you have characters that uses AoE normal attacks.

IIRC Tita was the only character with AoE normals in TiTs. But this game has 3

Droplet

Started this yesterday, in early chapter 2 now. It's pretty clear the game is pretty heavily Persona 3/4-inspired (right down to the Tartarus!), but I'm really happy that those elements only exist as breathing room between the actual Trails parts. I mean, I didn't particularly like Persona 3 or 4 enough to actually finish them because I hated dungeon diving, but all the Trails "do X menial task and then kill a monster!" is fun.

The loading times are pretty bad, especially going into battles. Not sure I totally understand the orbment system either, but it seems like we don't get anywhere near as many as we did in Sky? Maybe I'm misunderstanding something, but if so it kind of makes it hard to want to give characters more large area spells in early stages. :|

I think I'm getting the hang of Blade though. Finally started winning (once I figured out what I was doing)!

edit: Also, Elliot's craft where the characters heal every turn they take is great. I still can't figure out what to do with Alisa.

Bladenic

EDIT: In what RPGs are Limit-Break styled moves actually balanced? It seems like this giant train wreck in most games that have them.

Not comparable since they're action JRPGs but Tales games?

Oh and is difficulty able to be adjusted ingame? Wouldn't mind switching to hard.

I'm finally able to start this game.

The beginning certainly through you right in the middle of things before pulling back. That's definitely an intriguing start.

And it's weird to be playing a Trails game (and this definitely already feels just like a Trails game), but from a much different camera angle.

Xenoflare

Is this a Vita problem because I've had no issues with the PS3 font size?

Yes, I remember from the gameplay videos I've seen the PS3 version and it seemed fine.

The Vita version is like... shrunk down from the PS3 size but they didn't change the HUD size ratios or something. You actually have to squint to see how much HP your character has for example

If I purchase 2 on PS3 but has 1 on the Vita, can I still use my vita's save or something? If the load time issue and font issue carries over to the sequels I'd rather play it on the big screen.

Top Bottom