• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel |OT| Class Warfare

This game certainly throws a lot of characters at you right from the start.

It makes sense given the school setting, but it's definitely very different compared to the Trails in the Sky games.

pariah164

Couple hours in. I like all the main characters so far - except Alisa. Aside from it being obvious that (name spoilers)
her last name is Reinhold
, she's just not interesting. She's the typical tsundere/main love interest that now hates Rean for stupid, arbitrary reasons and will probably continue to do so for the whole damn plot. Nope. Not interacting with her unless forced to.

Xenoflare

Couple hours in. I like all the main characters so far - except Alisa. Aside from it being obvious that (name spoilers)
, she's just not interesting. She's the typical tsundere/main love interest that now hates Rean for stupid, arbitrary reasons and will probably continue to do so for the whole damn plot. Nope. Not interacting with her unless forced to.

Yeah me too
even when people been telling me she gets better but I always judge a character based on first impression

That's why I never liked Chie

I feel like in theory I shouldn't love this game as much as I do!

But I do, and I am excited that there are two more in this series coming. It could afford to be prettier, but I can deal with this. The only thing I can't deal with is how much Alisa sucks in battle. At least so far...

webkid94

After
Chapter 2
, she mostly drops the tsundere act towards Rean but then we also get
the family's maid to come out
, but honestly kind of seems like Machias inherited the tsundere role lol.

Currently in chapter 3, can't figure out why
Laura and Fie are butting heads. Obviously has something to do with Fie being ex-Jeager, but IDK it feels kind of forced considering how level headed Laura was even after the whole sword thing with Rean earlier.

Dio

Banned

It gets resolved more quickly than you think. Pretty early on, in fact.

It gets resolved more quickly than you think. Pretty early on, in fact.

Yeah, the Alisa situation gets resolved very quickly, before it becomes annoying, and with no drama associated. The Machias situation on the other hand takes painfully longer.

I beg to differ; it's already annoying. Then again, I could be oversensitive since I've encountered the trope so much.

I've seen the trope quite a bit as well. She could have easily been worse. Either way she gets better and mostly stops the tsundere act, which is good.

Yeah me too
even when people been telling me she gets better but I always judge a character based on first impression

That's why I never liked Chie

That's what makes the second HER so good!

The first...I just imagine the first 4/5 hours didn't happen for all playable characters. Just straight from Abilitease to train ride to Celdic.

Huh??? I must've missed this, when did it happen?

You have to choose to hang out with Laura during that free time.
Its the first figure she looks at after Rean suggests the Plushy.

So is there any way to tell who I can spend free time with, or do I have to find them and then see.

Pressing square and looking at which characters have green ! is the only way. Theres no way to know who will be available in the late afternoon during the early morning though.

omgfloofy

Banned
I just googled Blade kiseki card game and came up with a blog from omgfloofy that uses a (modified) standard deck.

http://omgfloofy.sanctuarycrew.com/2014/04/work-in-progress-blade-sen-no-kisekis-card-game/

It's not fully balanced though. I've not worked on it for quite awhile. But the way I built it for that video, it wasn't really possible to deck someone, which is also a tactic in the game. So I need to find a better balance with fewer cards. It's actually had some significant changes since that video, even.

I've found a site that will print the cards on demand for me if I actually make the backs and faces, too. Which is the best part. It's something I thought about possibly doing for a contest for Endless History at some point.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Chapter 1 spoilers:

MY MAN
BLEUBLANC
IS BACK
for a very brief cameo

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
THE FONT IS SO FUCKING SMALL ON THE PS VITA

Who the hell thought it was a good idea, and who the hell can I complain to about this? I am so close to returning this and buying the PS3 edition.

Erheller

Finally picked up my preorder of the Lionheart version after being out of town. Time to unsub from this thread to prevent myself from clicking on black bars.

Xenoflare

THE FONT IS SO FUCKING SMALL ON THE PS VITA

Who the hell thought it was a good idea, and who the hell can I complain to about this? I am so close to returning this and buying the PS3 edition.

The loading time and the HUD size complaints are there since it came out in Japan in 2013.

Unfortunately it's going to stay that way.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Laura is a monster in battle. She's like Agate on roids.

I haven't received my Vita copy yet but the font talk is a bit depressing, particularly considering the Evolution releases didn't seem to suffer any font size issues. I guess this is more about sloppy porting / cross-dev than anything else.

We got to spent one evening at home yesterday, so I also bought the PS3 digital version to share the Trails love at home. We played through the prologue, and I honestly expected something worse, being a prologue with high schoolers and all.

Very random thoughts:
- that opening is so anime that every time it ends, I almost expect a voiceover to announce sponsors while an instrumental version plays in the background.
- I like the idea of throwing you in the middle of things, but these first few fights must be really weird for someone who's never played the series, as they don't explain anything about the system.
- the only characters I see getting old really quickly are Machias and that blond girl. I guess I would have rolled my eyes much harder if I hadn't just read that OT thread about the queen where some people really went overboard in their distaste for royalty.
- seeing ailment effects on monsters is a huge plus. I like how fighting works, although I'm a bit wary they might be too slow in the long run. I noticed there's a skip option at least.
- having a full 3D game is cool, but that 3D is really rough at times. Same goes for all the voice acting.
- an old schoolhouse, again?
- My palms are getting sweaty just thinking about Trails style sidequests mixed with a Persona like calendar/relationship system. Is it possible to do everything / max everything in a single run ?

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Put in about 6 hours today an finished up Chapter 1. Things really did pick up in terms of letting me battle baddies! The big boss of the chapter sucked. Healing itself 10k HP towards the end of the battle didn't make it harder, just longer an more annoying. Wonder if picking Normal over Easy was a bad idea if lame stuff like thats gonna be pulled.

Hcoregamer00

No. It's something you'll have to get used to, I'm afraid.

PS3 version it is for #2, the PS Vita font is blindingly small.

This is completely unacceptable.

The game is great, but damn it strains your eyes with the shit sized font. At least cross saves means I don't lose anything.

Gu4n

PS3 version it is for #2, the PS Vita font is blindingly small.

This is completely unacceptable.

The game is great, but damn it strains your eyes with the shit sized font. At least cross saves means I don't lose anything.
I remember I was complaining about it during the Prologue of the Japanese version as well, but I got used to it after a while. As a result, Ao no Kiseki Evo's font now feels massive in comparison.

Xenoflare

The problem with Cold Steel is that it feels like a downgraded console game on the vita due to the small hud size. Which is a damn shame

jackdoe

Put in about 6 hours today an finished up Chapter 1. Things really did pick up in terms of letting me battle baddies! The big boss of the chapter sucked. Healing itself 10k HP towards the end of the battle didn't make it harder, just longer an more annoying. Wonder if picking Normal over Easy was a bad idea if lame stuff like thats gonna be pulled.
I'm playing on Hard, and even then it's a bit too easy. It punishes you hard for mistakes, but as long as you play smart and utilize attacks that shuffle attack orders so the boss doesn't land on one of those HP heal slots, then you're good to go.

Xenoflare

Question about bond points

If I
don't spend the bonus points in the afternoon, will it carry over it's lost the next day?

Gu4n

Question about bond points

If I
don't spend the bonus points in the afternoon, will it carry over it's lost the next day?
I don't think that's a spoiler.

You can take daytime bond points to afternoons, but not to the next day.

Also, I think the amount of bond points you during free time get equals the amount of character notes you can obtain from bond events during that day (but the game doesn't inform you which event leads to notes, unfortunately).

Xenoflare

I don't think that's a spoiler.

You can take daytime bond points to afternoons, but not to the next day.

Also, I think the amount of bond points you during free time get equals the amount of character notes you can obtain from bond events during that day (but the game doesn't inform you which event leads to notes, unfortunately).

Ahh okay, I'm not the person who can mark spoilers effectively, sorry about that :p

I'm following a Chinese guide as of now with everything tabulated nicely. It feels a bit overwhelming..... The game is designed to be even more of an OCD enabler than TiTs

But that's what the Trails games are known for.

Hcoregamer00

The problem with Cold Steel is that it feels like a downgraded console game on the vita due to the small hud size. Which is a damn shame

Yeah, and as the PS Vita shows, it could handle the game well. Aside from frame rate drops and loading times, it is almost a picture perfect port

It is just a pity they didn't change the font to make up for the 5" screen, oops! A perfect port is nice, but considerations to screen size would be nice.

Font bitching aside, it is an awesome game, I like the game, the graphics, the soundtrack. I have 10 hours on the game and got to chapter 2.

Gu4n

Ahh okay, I'm not the person who can mark spoilers effectively, sorry about that :p

I'm following a Chinese guide as of now with everything tabulated nicely. It feels a bit overwhelming..... The game is designed to be even more of an OCD enabler than TiTs

But that's what the Trails games are known for.
I missed one character note in Cold Steel II. One. My OCD went haywire. I'll never forgive you, Nicholas of the cooking club! *raises fist*

Xenoflare

I missed one character note in Cold Steel II. One. My OCD went haywire. I'll never forgive you, Nicholas of the cooking club! *raises fist*

I don't know what it is but I never bothered with full S.link runs for Persona but for Trails it's one of those games that really pisses me off for missing stuff.

Hcoregamer00

Yeah, this is why I will never ever platinum a JRPG. I am not going to change my play style and I don't ever want to be in a situation where I do tedious things to get that rare gold or platinum. Maybe get 70 or 80%, but the game must be really short and have a good new game+ to make me try for more.

Dio

Banned
Starting Chapter 6.

Things are really amping up now. I love that we're now past the opening. I have no idea what's gonna happen now.

Also holy fuck Laura really is a beast. I gave her that quartz that doubles the attack power of the first attack she does in a battle, and when combined with Rean buff she finished off a boss with her S-break like it was nothing before it could even hit anyone.

Hcoregamer00

Yeah, Laura is definitely my favorite cast member.

She is straight laced, hard working, likable, and is a beast of a fighter. Also for once, I also like the lead guy too, he is down to earth, charming, and he holds the team together.

Though I am only in chapter 2 and my opinion may change depending on plot.

Yeah, Laura is definitely my favorite cast member.

She is straight laced, hard working, likable, and is a beast of a fighter. Also for once, I also like the lead guy too, he is down to earth, charming, and he holds the team together.

Though I am only in chapter 2 and my opinion may change depending on plot.
All of that, plus she uses a giant sword!

Top Bottom