• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel |OT| Class Warfare

Gu4n

Oh forgot asking something about Sharon
she is an oroborous agent, so why they don't arrest her, isn't that group the bad guys from TitS?
That's because the game wants you to
rethink your perspective on Ouroboros. And technically, she is "on holiday" from Ouroboros right now

Vamphuntr

Best sidequest so far was in Chapter 3

The one where you have to find who is sending secret love letters to Vincent. I knew it was Margarita as soon as he mentioned the cookies and the rose. When you talk to her in an earlier chapter she talks about making cookies with rose dew or something. The choices she gives him haha

There is also a slight glitch in the localization. If you give the cat milk every time you can, sometimes the name's of the cat appear in the text box even though you don't know it's name yet and revert back to black cat the following time you speak to it.

K.Sabot

The cosmos has conspired that I shall not play my pre-order copy of Trails of Cold Steel.

Vsbpix2.png

flowsnake

Does it matter what line I put the quartz in?

Multiple copies of the same quartz have to go in different lines.

Multiple quartz that give a status effect have to go in different lines.

Multiple quartz that give a debuff effect have to go in different lines.

Probably other things like that.

OK guys, i've got IT

My limited edition has arrived... and it's very good.
Played a little bit .. i'm actually very surprised by the quality of the game.

Ps : Reversible covers are so OK , really OK

Very surprised by the dub work ... i'm usually hard to please but it's very good so far..

This game has NG+ ? o_O Woow

Quick question about a character who shows up in chapter 2

Is Toval a Ao/Zero character? Was he major/minor in those games?
He's from a short spinoff manga called The Legend of Heroes: Ring of Judgement. It's actually translated if you want to read it. It has SC spoilers so read it after that game.

Jiraiza

Yeah I figured it out shorly after posting, it basically makes Fie hands above the best character for preemptive attacks since it seems she can triple advance foes weak to slash and pierce with the shot

I usually stick with Laura because she apparently has a chance of stunning the monster regardless of where you hit them. Gives me an excuse to mash that attack button.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
I don't believe you find them anywhere else but you don't have to buy them straight away.
I got the money an I'm right there at the shop anyhow so I may as well get 'em rather then potentially forget to before the chapters end!

I know the first one gives you a chance to get more sepith so I through it on Rean with Septium Vain quartz so that he could be a septium making machine.
Ohh that includes the sepith masses right? If so it'll be a quartz that'll pay itself off in no time!

I got the money an I'm right there at the shop anyhow so I may as well get 'em rather then potentially forget to before the chapters end!

Ohh that includes the sepith masses right? If so it'll be a quartz that'll pay itself off in no time!

Yeah those are the same master quartz that have been for sale since chapter 1, each chapter a new one becomes available at all orbment stores

Huh? Wha? Ehhhh? I never even noticed a "master quartz" category on any shop menu before now!

Been following the platinum guide it points out when each became available lol

Also just finished chapter 2, ugh falcom/xseed you're too good to me cold steel is excellent

How do you feel about Jusis/Machias now? ;)

I like Jusis a lot more, but I never really had an issue with him, I still want to smack Machias for being far too tsun most of the time and I still want that scene where he admits most of his problems have been his own causing, but yes he's improved. He's still the weakest cast member so far across all the games story wise but I guess we'll see where it goes from here.

I like Jusis a lot more, but I never really had an issue with him, I still want to smack Machias for being far too tsun most of the time and I still want that scene where he admits most of his problems have been his own causing, but yes he's improved. He's still the weakest cast member so far across all the games story wise but I guess we'll see where it goes from here.

I'd argue Machias improves more later down the line in another chapter. Chapter 2 is definitely far better for Jusis than Machias

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
So I just finished chapter 1 on normal difficulty. The only thing that was challenging was the final boss.

Is normal difficulty actually easy difficulty in this game? I remember normal difficulty being way more challenging in the previous games.

I'm hoping the gane gets harder in later chapters? Otherwise it's going to get really boring for me...

And I don't know if I can play through another 8 hours of what I just went through to get back to where I am if I need to change to hard.

Droplet

So I just finished chapter 1 on normal difficulty. The only thing that was challenging was the final boss.

Is normal difficulty actually easy difficulty in this game? I remember normal difficulty being way more challenging in the previous games.

I'm hoping the gane gets harder in later chapters? Otherwise it's going to get really boring for me...

And I don't know if I can play through another 8 hours of what I just went through to get back to where I am if I need to change to hard.

I'm on chapter 4, also playing on normal. I've found most boss and field encounters to be decently easy, but there have been some boss battles that were difficult, especially if I started without much CP on the characters who could use S-Crafts. I also think boss battles tend to get a lot harder once you let one person die, since most of your revival skills will only replenish a small amount of HP for them.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
He's from a short spinoff manga called The Legend of Heroes: Ring of Judgement. It's actually translated if you want to read it. It has SC spoilers so read it after that game.
I just read this. Damn, makes me want Crossbell even more. I don't know what it is about Zero/Ao, but they definitely seem like the most appealing set of Trails games, and not because they're the forbidden fruit we can't have.

I am so in love with Cold Steel, though. This is everything JRPGs should have evolved into. Text heavy and plot centric, just the right amount of camp, engaging battle system, fun and likable cast, plot threads that perfectly intertwine between games. I want to bake a giant Trails cake and send it to XSeed along with cookies and roses.

Edit: Damn these black bars are dangerous, wanton clicking in this thread is not recommended

I just read this. Damn, makes me want Crossbell even more. I don't know what it is about Zero/Ao but they definitely seem like the most appealing set of Trails games, and not because they're the forbidden fruit we can't have.

I would describe the Crossbell games ( well, just Zero since that is all I played) as having the right balance of being a really... tightly woven JRPG.

The cast isn't too big, the city/world is big and dense but not overwhelming, and the unique modern vibe that has that detective noir vibe...

It's by no means a small game, but Zero never feels like it's bigger or smaller than it should be. It just feels right.

I love Cold Steel, but you could see from the seams of that game that it's too ambitious for its own good. The fact that Erebonia is so huge and that you play a cast of 9+ characters that are split apart every month makes you feel like there's half a game that isn't told.

expel

I love the zero and ao (crossbell) games, small casts and most of the time you have the same members in your party.
the cat doll you see in Cold Steel is a mascot from a theme park in CrossBell
oh and
Rixia Mao is the best ;p

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Randy Orlando has my favorite design of any Trails character.

He's got a nice balance between genuinely cool, snarky, and the type of guy who thinks he's cooler than he really is. I hope
he shows up in Cold Steel III, because I know Lloyd is in CSII.
All of the Zero/Ao characters look very bright and colorful - they're brimming with personality. Cold Steel's character design is great, too, but the Erebonian aesthetic is a bit stuffier. Everyone in Crossbell looks more approachable.

expel

He's got a nice balance between genuinely cool, snarky, and the type of guy who thinks he's cooler than he really is. I hope
All of the Zero/Ao characters look very bright and colorful - they're brimming with personality. Cold Steel's character design is great, too, but the Erebonian aesthetic is a bit stuffier. Everyone in Crossbell looks more approachable.

he'll show up with Tio ぺこり

Chapter 4

That instructor Thomas is really creepy, I can see why Sara and Neithardt fear him, other than the boring history talk lol

Rean was also too cold ditching Sara like that haha

Jiraiza

It kills me knowing I have 5 games to play through once I finish Cold Steel II. Though it looks like I'll be able to finish before Cold Steel III comes out.

Xeteh

Chapter 4

That instructor Thomas is really creepy, I can see why Sara and Neithardt fear him, other than the boring history talk lol

Rean was also too cold ditching Sara like that haha

It was finally his chance at some revenge for all she's done.

Just finished chp 5
They really need to port zero/ao as this was every a very important moment during zero/ao story. God playing this with that zero/ao knowledge really shows what falcom was doing.

Chapter 3
Nord Highlands

200_s.gif

When the music kicks in

QnKEsGt.gif

Was gonna post this.

Holy crap The Land of Blue Skies is fucking god tier. Some of the best Falcom overworld music ever. Probably the best overworld theme in a Trails game that I have heard (Though to be fair that's just with TiTS FC and SC and now CS)

Thanks for the tips on money guys. btw do septuim vein quartz stack? Can I have multiples on one character? Or one each on a few characters?

Gu4n

I would describe the Crossbell games ( well, just Zero since that is all I played) as having the right balance of being a really... tightly woven JRPG.

The cast isn't too big, the city/world is big and dense but not overwhelming, and the unique modern vibe that has that detective noir vibe...

It's by no means a small game, but Zero never feels like it's bigger or smaller than it should be. It just feels right.

I love Cold Steel, but you could see from the seams of that game that it's too ambitious for its own good. The fact that Erebonia is so huge and that you play a cast of 9+ characters that are split apart every month makes you feel like there's half a game that isn't told.
One of the reasons I was disappointed with Cold Steel was because of Ao, which pretty much is the best RPG I ever played. It delivers non-stop for 100 hours and even makes sidequests that were silly before, such as picking mushrooms, a worthwhile experience because of reasons. It was also the first time in the series where things really escalated into the unknown. SC was rather tame in comparison.

Dio

Banned
Oh right, here's something I noticed, speculation:

yQfMl8n.jpg

Yes, I've finished the game, like I've said. I'm now curious if the design similarities between "C" and Tio's outfit are intentional.

So the end of chapter one, when a new character is revealed, I couldn't help but think... Kylo Ren??? Lol ha. Great game, but I think I'm playing slower then most with almost 10 hours at the end of chapter 1.

So the end of chapter one, when a new character is revealed, I couldn't help but think... Kylo Ren??? Lol ha. Great game, but I think I'm playing slower then most with almost 10 hours at the end of chapter 1.

I just finished chapter 2 and it says 23 hours on my save lol I understand man so many people to talk to

Top Bottom