• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Korra: Book 4 |OT2| ALL HAIL THE GREAT UNITER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Afrocious

I'm slightly drunk so no writing for me unless you want some depressing shit.

This artworkw oulld go great with a Avatar fighting game.

360pages

What's wrong with me, now I legit can't stop posting artwork.

Avatar_Katara___Fire_nation_by_GENZOMAN.jpg

Lethe82

Banned

This is wonderful.

Also here is a short Korra Asami comic taking place in the spirit world, if it's 'too much' let me know and I will hide the imagines themselves, but I feel that what is shown is in service to the actual strip and thus tasteful.

You can also click here to see the images in a slightly larger presentation (and larger still by clicking through them)

http://fantadangerous.tumblr.com/post/106755443157/you-didnt-think-i-was-going-to-let-that-finale

tumblr_nhh4g83yRY1skn7w4o5_1280.png

tumblr_nhh4g83yRY1skn7w4o2_1280.png

tumblr_nhh4g83yRY1skn7w4o3_1280.png

tumblr_nhh4g83yRY1skn7w4o1_1280.png

tumblr_nhh4g83yRY1skn7w4o4_1280.png

What's wrong with me, now I legit can't stop posting artwork.

Avatar_Katara___Fire_nation_by_GENZOMAN.jpg

I always did like Katara in her Fire Nation disguise a bit more than her Water Tribe clothes. Although, she seems too busty in that pic.

Something I didn't really give TLoK credit for before: Fucking props to all the cool waterbending shit. Like, the Avatarverse has always given tons of love to firebending and earthbending, which shows because of how many major characters we see in each element and all the unique styles we see in each. But, while we do see a lot of waterbending in ATLA, it's always from Katara and Aang aside from a few select occasions (The Northern Water Tribe, War in the North, The Swamp, and The Puppetmaster) . TLoK gives us a bunch of different styles of waterbending. Look at the list of major waterbenders between both series:

ATLA:
Katara
Paku
Aang
Yu
Hama

TLoK:
Korra
Tarrlok
Amon/Noatak
Unalaq
Tonraq
Tahno (mostly as a representative to the probending side of it, and even then there's Korra)
Kaya
Ming Hua
Desna and Eska
Katara (kind of. She really just heals)

That's a lot more waterbending love, and I fucking appreciate it.

Beth Cyra

This is wonderful.

Also here is a short Korra Asami comic taking place in the spirit world, if it's 'too much' let me know and I will hide the imagines themselves, but I feel that what is shown is in service to the actual strip and thus tasteful.

You can also click here to see the images in a slightly larger presentation (and larger still by clicking through them)

http://fantadangerous.tumblr.com/post/106755443157/you-didnt-think-i-was-going-to-let-that-finale

tumblr_nhh4g83yRY1skn7w4o5_1280.png

]

Damn this is beautiful, and I don't even care for KorrAsami.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast

Absolutely beautiful. Wow.

Lethe82

Banned

Two others that I recommend, Everyone should have this artists tumblr on bookmarked.

The first I am quoting to make the images smaller, as with the before the emotion of this piece is brought home not by the details of the image but by the use of color and what relatively simple images convey. It also looks to be intended to be viewed in the more compressed format showing her journey to the viewer in distinct contrast (viewed in close proximity), so I'm replicating that as best as possible but it becomes if ever so slightly more alive with a black background so I recommend checking it out on the site as well.

Again you can view it (and the previous) on

http://fantadangerous.tumblr.com/

"Korra's Journey"

This second piece is another one done in a short comic format. I almost feel viewing them at full size does them somewhat of a disservice, as the fine detail isn't the point of them, the outstanding colors on their own are what informs the viewer, they aren't 'tight' or overly specific, each frame is washed in a beautiful but textured primary shade, reflecting a surge of emotion or atmosphere itself that works really well with the dialogue and overall intimacy.

But the x500 pictures are in fact so small that reading dialogue becomes an issue. This scene, at least in my opinion, was needed in the season proper. It's an intense and validating interaction between both characters even if KorrAsami had not been the end game.

"I do seem to enjoy drama."

C4Lukins

So I just finished the series. Wow at that ending. I stayed in the dark until all of the episodes were available, and was amazed at how long it took for me to go backwards to the beginning of this thread, and realize that I needed to go to another thread just to get reactions for the finale.

So I really enjoyed The Legend of Korra. If I were to rank the seasons, I would go 2>3>1>4. Which does not seem to be a popular opinion. I really liked the characters and spirit world building in season 2.

As for season 4, it just felt unnecessary. The villain was dull, despite the OP who gives her way to much credit. Her motivations were completely without merit. She was abandoned as a child, but raised by really decent folks, and suddenly wants to conquer the Earth Nation because she was abandoned and she does not want anyone else to experience that? It was poorly thought out.

Beyond that, it felt like this should have been season 2. We have seen Korra essentially battle the snake from the garden of Eden, Hitler, and Stalin combined. It was a super weak villain, with a super weak motivation. And it ended up that she just battled a giant robot in the end. Aang season 1 was more epic in his battles.

So moving on to the finale. I admire the idea that a female couple would take a vacation into the spirit world. But they did not earn that ending. It came out of nowhere. The only suggestion that these two were hot for each other was implied by them being pen pals at the beginning of season 4. And maybe the creators intended to develop that relationship more, and Nick said no, but it makes zero sense in the context of the overall story. Which is sad, but an illogical out of nowhere relationship is also sad because it ruins the series. It would be like if the last episode of Seinfeld, Jerry and George got married. Not that there is anything wrong with that. Yes it would be funny, but it does not make sense in the context of everything you have seen before. And that sort of ruins the universe.

That being said, I love the universe, and I have no problem with a homosexual ending. It was a poor season though, the animation compared to the Last Airbender was lazy, and that final scene was not earned based on the narrative.

When I see that I see the fucking CGI robot from the finale and get sad.

God I hate that design so much, and the loss of the 20s aesthetic as a by-product

It felt very 40s-50s to me. Always seemed like a combination of the walkers from War of the Worlds and the robot from The Day the Earth Stood Still. I didn't dislike it, but it sure felt out of nowhere, to me. Then again, with all the mech suits in Balance, I shouldn't have been that surprised. Something about it being segmented like that also seemed extremely familiar, but I can't place it.

WOW_Thames_02_1920x1080-600x337.jpg

Day_the_Earth_Stood_Still_1951.jpg

SDBurton

Two others that I recommend, Everyone should have this artists tumblr on bookmarked.

The first I am quoting to make the images smaller, as with the before the emotion of this piece is brought home not by the details of the image but by the use of color and what relatively simple images convey. It also looks to be intended to be viewed in the more compressed format showing her journey to the viewer in distinct contrast (viewed in close proximity), so I'm replicating that as best as possible but it becomes if ever so slightly more alive with a black background so I recommend checking it out on the site as well.

"Korra's Journey"

This second piece is another one done in a short comic format. I almost feel viewing them at full size does them somewhat of a disservice, as the fine detail isn't the point of them, the outstanding colors on their own are what informs the viewer, they aren't 'tight' or overly specific, each frame is washed in a beautiful but textured primary shade, reflecting a surge of emotion or atmosphere itself that works really well with the dialogue and overall intimacy.

But the x500 pictures are in fact so small that reading dialogue becomes an issue. This scene, at least in my opinion, was needed in the season proper. It's an intense and validating interaction between both characters even if KorrAsami had not been the end game.

Holy shit these are amazing. I would pay the guy responsible for the second comic to continue it. Easily.

So I just finished the series. Wow at that ending. I stayed in the dark until all of the episodes were available, and was amazed at how long it took for me to go backwards to the beginning of this thread, and realize that I needed to go to another thread just to get reactions for the finale.

So I really enjoyed The Legend of Korra. If I were to rank the seasons, I would go 2>3>1>4. Which does not seem to be a popular opinion. I really liked the characters and spirit world building in season 2.

As for season 4, it just felt unnecessary. The villain was dull, despite the OP who gives her way to much credit. Her motivations were completely without merit. She was abandoned as a child, but raised by really decent folks, and suddenly wants to conquer the Earth Nation because she was abandoned and she does not want anyone else to experience that? It was poorly thought out.

Beyond that, it felt like this should have been season 2. We have seen Korra essentially battle the snake from the garden of Eden, Hitler, and Stalin combined. It was a super weak villain, with a super weak motivation. And it ended up that she just battled a giant robot in the end. Aang season 1 was more epic in his battles.

So moving on to the finale. I admire the idea that a female couple would take a vacation into the spirit world. But they did not earn that ending. It came out of nowhere. The only suggestion that these two were hot for each other was implied by them being pen pals at the beginning of season 4. And maybe the creators intended to develop that relationship more, and Nick said no, but it makes zero sense in the context of the overall story. Which is sad, but an illogical out of nowhere relationship is also sad because it ruins the series. It would be like if the last episode of Seinfeld, Jerry and George got married. Not that there is anything wrong with that. Yes it would be funny, but it does not make sense in the context of everything you have seen before. And that sort of ruins the universe.

That being said, I love the universe, and I have no problem with a homosexual ending. It was a poor season though, the animation compared to the Last Airbender was lazy, and that final scene was not earned based on the narrative.

I totally agree with you on the ending.

Couldn't disagree with you more on season 2 which I felt was the poorest of them all in terms of writing quality.

With regards to the bolded, Toa TAK is just kidding. He knows how bad a villain Kuvira was. He just keeps up the character for fun.

Lethe82

Banned
I just got a jolt of nostalgia seeing this pic.

legendofkorra_press25c193f.jpg

Wow we've come a long way.

When I see that I see the fucking CGI robot from the finale and get sad.

God I hate that design so much, and the loss of the 20s aesthetic as a by-product

To be 'this' and season 1 will always be republic city and to some extend Korra as a whole. Sometimes when these concepts turn into massive productions and it basically becomes the creators life for years, it's very easy to let things slip that you otherwise wouldn't have. Even with progressing technology, I believe that the flair of Republic city, the Pastiche of 1920s-30s and steam punk is more of less one of those things.

When I look at that image, that's "The Legend of Korra" to me. When I think of Republic City, it's more what we saw of it in season 1; seeing the local cultures, the room above a pro bending gym, a dingy restaurant, all the way to Future Industries. That's the heart of Republic City, not what increasingly generic backgrounds they may have slipped into out of wear and tear as the seasons wore on.

C4Lukins

I totally agree with you on the ending.

Couldn't disagree with you more on season 2 which I felt was the poorest of them all in terms of writing quality.

With regards to the bolded, Toa TAK is just kidding. He knows how bad a villain Kuvira was. He just keeps up the character for fun.

Ok well I missed the sarcasm there. There is a ton of posts to go through in order to get the GAF narrative, and as someone who marathons series I do not keep up with the day to day commentary. But I will still defend season 2. I thought it was a lot of fun, and had the biggest universe changing narrative.

I've been re-watching the series and I just finished Spirits, and while I wouldn't put it up there, I really enjoyed it (more so than I remember). I liked the spirit world building as well, and I think the visual style and action was top-notch. That book is fucking beautiful and the animation is...fucking sublime, is what it is. It is a gem to behold on Blu-ray.

That being said, as much as I think the character arcs were logical in that season and I totally saw where they were coming from with those arcs, they were certainly assholes. Sometimes to a ridiculous extent (fucking Lin and Raiko), and I have to count it as a negative in my book (hah). It also doesn't help that Asami seems sort of...there. She's definitely present, and she's part of the plot, but she doesn't contribute as much as she could have and I'm not a particular fan of that. The lack of an explanation for spiritbending (which is my biggest pet peeve) and the lack of an explanation for what Jinora did in the finale (even though I did just do a post during a discussion on that about how I don't think it's that bad) definitely counts against it as well.

I'll decide when I re-watch Balance, but as for right now I might just put Spirits above it. Though, I'd still watch Change and Air over both of those.

Beth Cyra

"Korra's Journey"

If htat was in the show this would actually be very likely my favorite show ever created.

Goddess, that comic is SOOOOO good.

C4Lukins

I've been re-watching the series and I just finished Spirits, and while I wouldn't put it up there, I really enjoyed it (more so than I remember). I liked the spirit world building as well, and I think the visual style and action was top-notch. That book is fucking beautiful and the animation is...fucking sublime, is what it is. It is a gem to behold on Blu-ray.

That being said, as much as I think the character arcs were logical in that season and I totally saw where they were coming from with those arcs, they were certainly assholes. Sometimes to a ridiculous extent (fucking Lin and Raiko), and I have to count it as a negative in my book (hah). It also doesn't help that Asami seems sort of...there. She's definitely present, and she's part of the plot, but she doesn't contribute as much as she could have and I'm not a particular fan of that. The lack of an explanation for spiritbending (which is my biggest pet peeve) and the lack of an explanation for what Jinora did in the finale (even though I did just do a post during a discussion on that about how I don't think it's that bad) definitely counts against it as well.

I'll decide when I re-watch Balance, but as for right now I might just put Spirits above it. Though, I'd still watch Change and Air over both of those.

I do think every season is excellent, but Korra sort of over extended itself. Way to many characters, Nick being Nick they really could not kill them off. So in the end you have like 30 plus characters all battling it out, and very few of them get the attention they deserve.

SDBurton

They were in a difficult situation on how to present Korrasami. I fear what could've happened if they actually tried to make it more prevalent before the finale. Just imagine, halfway through the season and the show goes on a hiatus due to the higher ups at Nick deciding to squash the pairing due to catching controversial wildfire on the internet. Even if at the time it was only being aired online, with the society we live in, there would've been that one parent who would've launched a crusade against Nick just for shits and giggles. To know what could've been, only to be snatched away would've hurt me so much.

Beth Cyra

They were in a difficult situation on how to present Korrasami. I fear what could've happened if they actually tried to make it more prevalent before the finale. Just imagine, halfway through the season and the show goes on a hiatus due to the higher ups at Nick deciding to squash the pairing due to catching controversial wildfire on the internet. Even if at the time it was only being aired online, with the society we live in, there would've been that one parent who would've launched a crusade against Nick just for shits and giggles. To know what could've been, only to be snatched away would've hurt me so much.

This a big thing.

Plus now that it is Canon if they ever do Korra comics as much as Avatar this is something that very much can be built up and shown in much greater detail now that it's established and the main show is over.

I do think every season is excellent, but Korra sort of over extended itself. Way to many characters, Nick being Nick they really could not kill them off. So in the end you have like 30 plus characters all battling it out, and very few of them get the attention they deserve.

Really doesn't help that Nick cut the budget, but as it has been pointed out, they got a little too carried away with new characters. They weren't bad characters, but they weren't as fleshed out or useful as they could have been. It felt like they were just there, and it's a damn shame. The biggest mistakes in that area (in my opinion) were Jinora and Kuvira. Both were very plot important (especially considering everything that Jinora did in Spirits and Change) and as you said, Kuvira ended up coming off weak. What happened with Kuvira was a damn shame, because she clearly had stuff going on, but it wasn't portrayed as well or fleshed out as well as it could have been.

Asami should have gotten more fights (hand-to-hand in this universe is always dope as fuck) and Kai...well, as you'll see the general consensus, why introduce Kai and give him a relationship with a major character if you're going to sideline the entire fucking thing in the next season? I like the guy, but...fuck.

C4Lukins

The thing is, it never needed to be explicit. Simply having them interact, and be in more scenarios with each other would have helped.

A lot of people are saying they called it, but they only called it because of goofy ass shipping fantasies. The actual story of Korra did not do that relationship justice.

"Korra's Journey"

5hrg1by.jpg

If that would've been in the show... Das it mane. I would've sat there rewind that part over... And over again. Just like I'm about to read that comic over and over

The thing is, it never needed to be explicit. Simply having them interact, and be in more scenarios with each other would have helped.

A lot of people are saying they called it, but they only called it because of goofy ass shipping fantasies. The actual story of Korra did not do that relationship justice.

It's not like they didn't interact. They did, and the relationship was there. I'll just quote myself again on this, because I genuinely believe it's exactly the issue.

Basically, I think everyone's complaint amounts to the same: If your romantic relationship arc doesn't actually get focused screen time, making it a big part of the ending is a bad idea. Plain and simple. Still, I don't think it was that poorly done, considering the circumstances. If the middle part of Remembrances had focused on Korra and Asami's relationship throughout the years as opposed to Korra's impact on the world (something we already went through), the Korrasami bit would have carried pretty well. At least enough weight for the ending to have legitimate impact, as opposed to "here ya go!".

Lethe82

Banned
Holy shit these are amazing. I would pay the guy responsible for the second comic to continue it. Easily.

5hrg1by.jpg

If that would've been in the show... Das it mane. I would've sat there rewind that part over... And over again. Just like I'm about to read that comic over and over

If htat was in the show this would actually be very likely my favorite show ever created.

Goddess, that comic is SOOOOO good.

Maybe someone should shoot the artist a message offering as such XD She is currently Working on another Korra comic, but based around Korra fighting Kuvira. I totally get people being frustrated by how the show chose to execute things, though the world still feels rich enough to me that KorrAsami likewise can 'work' if only because of how obvious and believable these interactions are. Where the show faltered, the foundation of its world and concepts still makes end events, relationships, and possibilities entirely compelling.

EDIT: To piggy back off of the conversation talking about having 30 plus characters etc, the Korra/Asami confrontation comic is something that the writers really should have made room for and is exactly the types of interactions that shouldn't have gotten the shaft to needlessly stuff the roster. I really don't mind that Kai got shafted in Season 4, in my opinion it's something that they needed to do more of, one moment of substance between two core characters like Korra/Asami having an actual direct emotional confrontation over what happened is worth more than the entire peripheral cast combined, and it only would have taken a couple of minutes in one episode.

But ultimately I mean, we can't change anything, I'm just happy that we're seeing fans of the show exploring the things as well as they are and lifting the characters up to their potential.

I'm actually worried that we won't see the continuation of Korra because of this. Would a comic likewise be considered too safe an area for the subject matter? Worse yet what if the writer sucks? D:

I've always loved KorrAsami for how they could compliment one another, and have real chemistry together. The show didn't do Asami justice but it never stopped fans from loving what was there for and of her, and likewise I don't hold the relatively poor KorrAsami execution in the show itself against the pairing. We've seen how popular it was, and how with even the smallest relative effort from fans that it is pretty much perfect. and that's why I always liked it, not because of what could or could not be put to screen. To be clear I'm not trying to project anything on you, I'm more so putting my thoughts to page.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Dark Korra is just another one of those things that was never really expounded upon. God damn did this series need longer seasons.

Daemul

I thought at first that Dark Korra had something to do with Vaatu, but yeah, it never really did get explained. Longer seasons really would have helped them out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom