• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Korra: Book 4 |OT2| ALL HAIL THE GREAT UNITER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daemul

< now you can see the ugly mug that wrote so much bullshit about TLOK that made you annoyed and impeded your enjoyment. :D

For the record, I'm still recovering from my cancer treatment. So my hair is still thin as fuck. I love you KorraGAF

What's going on here? It seems like everyone on GAF is starting to use pictures of themselves as their avatars. Did I miss a memo or something?

This kind of fan art is slowly making me want to leave this thread.

The high quality stuff that 360pages posted before, or the funny comics is good. Stuff like that, or the Kuvira suicide/Korra shipping shit is tasteless and borderline offensive.

Yeah, that suicide shit was weird of fuck. Let's not go too crazy guys.

Daemul

Done and I apologize, it's a bit hard for me to realize what is and isn't an issue for some people. I liked the narrative, but didn't realize that it would be crossing the line for some people.

Don't worry about it, we just gotta be mindful of some of art we post. I have loads of shit I really want to share. but I don't think it would be very appropriate on this forum lol

Afrocious

I guess. I just think it shows that the only person that currently cares whether Kuvira lived or died is actually just Korra.

The comic is tasteless because it uses suicide as a way to tell a gaudy story about being rescued, when the character trying to off herself has never showed any inkling of wanting to harm herself.

Suicide, like rape as a cause for characterization, is a cheap cop-out for tugging heartstrings when folks who have some sort of experience with either know that there's always more to them than what such lame stories convey.

I know you didn't mean anything by it, so sorry if I come across as stern.

Mononoke

Banned
What's going on here? It seems like everyone on GAF is starting to use pictures of themselves as their avatars. Did I miss a memo or something?

Yeah, that suicide shit was weird of fuck. Let's not go too crazy guys.

It's some avatar thing they do in January for a month. I usually don't do it. But what the hell. I'm celebrating my remission from cancer.

The comic is tasteless because it uses suicide as a way to tell a gaudy story about being rescued, when the character trying to off herself has never showed any inkling of wanting to harm herself.

Suicide, like rape as a cause for characterization, is a cheap cop-out for tugging heartstrings when folks who have some sort of experience with either know that there's always more to them than what such lame stories convey.

I know you didn't mean anything by it, so sorry if I come across as stern.
Don't worry about it, I'll just try to keep it in the back of my head so I don't post really tasteless things of that nature.

MartyStu

I...were you people always here and I somehow missed this?

Edit: Not that I have a problem with that. Post-series Korra-gaf just seems..different.

Still, keep--most of--the fan art coming.

Afrocious

Huh, charming fanart that features Kuvira? Whaaaaa~?

tumblr_nfvp2vopSA1skn7w4o1_1280.jpg

Don't worry about it, I'll just try to keep it in the back of my head so I don't post really tasteless things of that nature.

Awesome :).

Mononoke

Banned
So when do you guys want me to start our ATLA live re watch? Jan? Feb? Also is anyone down to maybe Skype after episodes air. Just for fun.

Afrocious

More Kyoshi you asked?

yo

if Korra somehow took after Kyoshi, the entire LoK series would've been done in like 1 or 2 episodes.

Kills Amon the moment she sees him, kills Unalaq the moment she feels he's bullshitting her, goes on a crusade against all Red Lotus members before the main four we see even break out, and hell, probably would've killed Kuvira the moment she said she'll fix the Earth Kingdom.

Daemul

So....apparently the LoK finale(Korrasami) was Nickelodeon's top moment of 2014.

Why 2014 Rocked!

The direct link to the page doesn't work for some reason, so someone had to imgurize it. You need to manually go through Nick's website to reach the page if you want it.

Daemul

So when do you guys want me to start our ATLA live re watch? Jan? Feb? Also is anyone down to maybe Skype after episodes air. Just for fun.

I'm up for starting it anytime, and the Skype thing would be cool. I don;t mind either way, I'm on board with anything you guys want to do.

It's some avatar thing they do in January for a month. I usually don't do it. But what the hell. I'm celebrating my remission from cancer.

Ah, that explains. I might join in on the fun then. I'll actually need to find a decent picture of me first though lol

That's not going to happen.

No way.

If it did, many lulz would be had.

Toa TAK

Banned
All of KorraGAF should Skype together.

But seriously, as much as I LOVE Korrasami, it really wasn't as developed as well as it could've been, and I think for that alone it won't win.

But if it did win on the ground for just "pushing the envelope" on a children's show, that would still be great, and honestly, deserved.

Mononoke

Banned
All of KorraGAF should Skype together.

But seriously, as much as I LOVE Korrasami, it really wasn't as developed as well as it could've been, and I think for that alone it won't win.

But if it did win on the ground for just "pushing the envelope" on a children's show, that would still be great, and honestly, deserved.

Yeah we will do a big group Skype. I'll collect usernames and get everyone connected (I'll do it via PM so we don't post it publicly). The group chats will be free form. Like people can come and go. And it's not expected.

Afrocious

It'll definitely win some Annie awards.

I do think LoK should get an Emmy for the soundtrack. Zuckerman knocked it out of the park.

Toa TAK

Banned
The soundtrack has to win something. Though I doubt that it'll even win for the season, since it was mostly repeated themes (as much as I LOVE them).

I need that soundtrack, okay? ;_;

Mononoke

Banned
I just now noticed that. Huh.

I wonder if it has to do with the availability of the show on actual TV. No clue.

Yeah. I dont know. Korra has deserved awards before and it blows my mind it doesn't get nominated. How Zuckerman hasn't won is a damn crime. But I don't think anything in Book 4 should win.

Well the actual direction in the finale was great. Amazing set pieces. And Zuckerman was stellar as always. So actually, I take it back. They deserve some accolades.

Mononoke

Banned

I hate when they do this. Because it encourages creators to be lazy and rely on things like this to cover up their failures. Korrasami was revolutionary. And it was amazing. And as someone that shipped them back in Book 2 I'm still so damn happy. But I still feel Bryke copped out of wrapping their show up. They didn't end their series that was 4 seasons long. And I hate to think that all of that was okay because Korrasami.

Then again these are just awards. And I can look at the bigger picture (how this benefits so many people and pushes things in the right direction). So actually I guess I would be okay this winning.

Edit: your avatar is amazing :D

There is actually some pretty charming Kuvira stuff floating around.
tumblr_nhfyoghOaw1u1dnlno1_500.jpg

tumblr_nhgp72D2CX1u1dnlno1_500.jpg

tumblr_nhacqvNApp1smf3t2o1_1280.jpg

How the hell do you guys keep track of what you find on Tumblr cause god damn.

Afrocious

I hate when they do this. Because it encourages creators to be lazy and rely on things like this to cover up their failures. Korrasami was revolutionary. And it was amazing. And as someone that shipped them back in Book 2 I'm still so damn happy. But I still feel Bryke copped out of wrapping their show up. They didn't end their series that was 4 seasons long. And I hate to think that all of that was okay because Korrasami.

Then again these are just awards. And I can look at the bigger picture (how this benefits so many people and pushes things in the right direction). So actually I guess I would be okay this winning.

Yeah, I just caught your edit. I was about to say let's consider the outcomes of both scenarios.

Not that it's deeply related, but there's still some tangency, but considering where we live in a world where a trans girl kills herself because she wants the world to know the plight of being trans in an awful, unaccepting environment? Yeah.

I agree with you about the lazy writing, but I'm willing to allow it if it makes folks aware and more accepting.

Daemul

If Nick does win something for Korra, then someone has to corner them about the possibility of continuing the series.

There's no way in hell Nick should be allowed to come on stage and get the glory for the show, and then just let it die.

Mononoke

Banned
Yeah, I just caught your edit. I was about to say let's consider the outcomes of both scenarios.

Not that it's deeply related, but there's still some tangency, but considering where we live in a world where a trans girl kills herself because she wants the world to know the plight of being trans in an awful, unaccepting environment? Yeah.

I agree with you about the lazy writing, but I'm willing to allow it if it makes folks aware and more accepting.

I guess I think they could have done both. Wrapped up the series, had good writing and pushed the envelope. I just would hate to think Bryke relied solely on the latter to make up for everything else.

That said, this isn't about Bryke or about this show. It's about a bigger problem in society, and so in that sense I can look past the other shit. It's about celebrating equality rather than praising Bryke. So I see your guys perspective now :)

Lethe82

Banned
I just woke up and it seems I missed out on another light Korrasami conversation. Oh well.

I didn't know there was a higher resolution on that comic of Asami slapping Korra. Thanks! I can finally read it!

No problem.

Re-posted for a new page in case people missed them

Zen said:
Also here is a short Korra Asami comic taking place in the spirit world, if it's 'too much' let me know and I will hide the imagines themselves, but I feel that what is shown is in service to the actual strip and thus tasteful.

You can also click here to see the images in a slightly larger presentation (and larger still by clicking through them)

http://fantadangerous.tumblr.com/post/106755443157/you-didnt-think-i-was-going-to-let-that-finale

tumblr_nhh4g83yRY1skn7w4o5_1280.png

tumblr_nhh4g83yRY1skn7w4o2_1280.png

tumblr_nhh4g83yRY1skn7w4o3_1280.png

tumblr_nhh4g83yRY1skn7w4o1_1280.png

tumblr_nhh4g83yRY1skn7w4o4_1280.png

Damn this is beautiful, and I don't even care for KorrAsami.

Two others that I recommend, Everyone should have this artists tumblr on bookmarked.

The first I am quoting to make the images smaller, as with the before the emotion of this piece is brought home not by the details of the image but by the use of color and what relatively simple images convey. It also looks to be intended to be viewed in the more compressed format showing her journey to the viewer in distinct contrast (viewed in close proximity), so I'm replicating that as best as possible but it becomes if ever so slightly more alive with a black background so I recommend checking it out on the site as well.

Again you can view it (and the previous) on

http://fantadangerous.tumblr.com/

"Korra's Journey"

This second piece is another one done in a short comic format. I almost feel viewing them at full size does them somewhat of a disservice, as the fine detail isn't the point of them, the outstanding colors on their own are what informs the viewer, they aren't 'tight' or overly specific, each frame is washed in a beautiful but textured primary shade, reflecting a surge of emotion or atmosphere itself that works really well with the dialogue and overall intimacy.

But the x500 pictures are in fact so small that reading dialogue becomes an issue. This scene, at least in my opinion, was needed in the season proper. It's an intense and validating interaction between both characters even if KorrAsami had not been the end game.

"I do seem to enjoy drama."
There were more implications of them being close, or getting to be close through book 3 and 4 than just them writing as pen pals exclusively to each other, so it doesn't make 'zero sense in the context of the overall story', especially considering each book has been about marginalized people or entities.

Since I haven't finished season 4, I was wondering, did Korra write her back once, or were they actually writing back and forth?

Afrocious

Bataar was one of the series worst characters.

You're going to hate me for this, but you gotta admit he did have an arc. An arc ripped from creative writing 101 but still.

IMO the worst character in the entire show, without a doubt, was Mako himself. Bolin and Korra herself were right next to him, but they both got better. Korra especially.

EDIT: WOAH I AM SO FUCKING WRONG. IT'S MEELO.

2ND EDIT: I take that back and return to saying Mako was the worst character in the show. He's different from Meelo in that he was an actual character whereas Meelo was there to fill time and to make Korra feel like a Nick show.

Yep its the ultimate carrot right now even if it was half-assed.

You're going to hate me for this, but you gotta admit he did have an arc. An arc ripped from creative writing 101 but still.

IMO the worst character in the entire show, without a doubt, was Mako himself. Bolin and Korra herself were right next to him, but they both got better. Korra especially.

EDIT: WOAH I AM SO FUCKING WRONG. IT'S MEELO.

2ND EDIT: I take that back and return to saying Mako was the worst character in the show. He's different from Meelo in that he was an actual character whereas Meelo was there to fill time and to make Korra feel like a Nick show.
Meelo had borderline no character growth. He's nothing but a running fart joke with a tacked on drill sergeant mentality.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast

Thanks! I found the pic the other day and begged one of my friends from AnimeGaf to make an avy of it for me. I would've done it myself if I wasn't stuck on this crappy laptop that I brought with me on my family vacation. I'll be back home on Saturday though!

I'm 50/50 on the issue. On one hand I'm miffed we didn't get proper closure/build up to Korrasami, the other hand I'm terrified of what could've happened had they done so. I mean, we live in a world where some mom went on a crazy twitter rant for Toys R Us selling a Breaking Bad toy. I'm sure another individual would've loved to get their fifteen minutes of fame by trying to sink our ship and pass it off as trying to uphold "the family values" of a children show.

Mononoke

Banned
Yep its the ultimate carrot right now even if it was half-assed.

I do hate that it was so half assed. LGBT deserved more. Representation isn't just being represented. Women are reprsented in media. It's the quality of said representation (and sadly far too often women are not reprsented in a good way). That matters. That said, I do get that Bryke probably had push back and limitations because of the network. That the shitty world we live in makes creators scared to show basic human love between two people. There is something wrong with this world.

My issue has always been that, Bryke had done so many things that I don't find excusable. They wasted so much time on side characters and side plot (like Kai). Book 4 they had all the time In the world as the season spun it's wheels and wasted time. So there is no excuse for them not doing more. I've argued that while they might not have been able to have an up front romance plot with Korrasami, they should have done more with their friendship. Their relationship in general. They should have set up the ending so Korra's character arc and Asamis romance intertwined and the resolution worked together.

Just with all the things Bryke has done, I can't excuse it. I also get irked that Bryke make excuses and even blame their audience for not seeing it coming. And sadly, I can't help but wonder how genuine Bryke is about Korrasami. If it was something they originally planned for. Or if it was fan service

That said, it doesn't change the fact that it's a very important thing. That for many, this moment meant so much to them. That it pushes the world in the right direction for equality. That kids shows can eventually show equal romance (even if this was just the first step). So In that sense I get the want for this to be awarded and celebrated. It's about pushing for equality . That's so great,

But God Bryke makes me mad sometimes lol

I still think Korra and Asami had the most chemistry out of any couple (outside of Varrick and Zhu Li). And I think their relationship is actually more natural and believable (I think it was an unintended thing that happened due to their limitations).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom