• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Korra: Book 4 |OT2| ALL HAIL THE GREAT UNITER

Status
Not open for further replies.

360pages

And Ash would still lose at the end of the day

Ash should have won the Sinnoh League, his team was the strongest. But the writers legit created a character with 6 Legendary pokemon JUST TO STOP ASH FROM WINNING!

A character who's entire existence was to stop Ash from achieving his dream. I think the writers ether love or hate him.

Afrocious

ming hua tho

tumblr_nhng4iPHCi1r86tzgo1_1280.jpg

360pages

Gotta make more episodes (or did the series end after that?)

No it's still going on.

The funny part is the fact that the manga series is so much better. A new main character for each region, each character has their own dreams and their own team. And each story arc feels different from the last even though I don't like all of them.

The Korra game is fun, but fuck is the Naga stuff frustrating on Extreme difficulty.

Also, probending on Ace. Kill me. I have to get this Platinum'd though.

Hamlet

The Korra game is fun, but fuck is the Naga stuff frustrating on Extreme difficulty.

Also, probending on Ace. Kill me. I have to get this Platinum'd though.

Those Naga sections are the worst. Good luck trying to get the Platinum though. I don't think I could handle those Naga sections again in Extreme difficulty to get the Platinum.

Lethe82

Banned
Given how close we are already to synthetic sperm I'm sure Varrick will be delivering that baby himself on board a Varrick industries space station give how fast technology has been progressing.

EDIT: Well, we can already make Synthetic Sperm, eggs, and an artificial womb.

Please, post-Book 4 Korra in the avatarstate would wipe the floor with Bayonetta. Her hair would be finally useful for something, as a mop.

Those Naga sections are the worst. Good luck trying to get the Platinum though. I don't think I could handle those Naga sections again in Extreme difficulty to get the Platinum.

I finally finished the Naga boss fight on Extreme after maybe 100 attempts. I almost tore apart my controller with my bare hands. The regular running is fine, just those three mecha-tanks...

Kinvara

I spent the weekend having several lengthy conversations with a friend who also is a fan of TLOK. We went to pretty in-depth discussions about many of the characters including Kuvira.

I'm hoping to do a panel with them soon!

I'm not going get hung up and be super harsh on something I really enjoyed enough to actually get invested in to begin with, and I felt it did its job of being a good action series. I never saw it as trying to pass itself off as as anything more than that, so why would I treat it like it was? I just don't see the problems as impactful as others do. I've stated my major criticisms and what I thought could have been done better in my eyes. If you don't think that's good enough, well I guess I can't help it.

Either way, I've made my peace.

I read your posts, BKatastrophe and it really pin-pointed exactly what I find disappointing about some of the conversations in this thread.

TLOK gets criticized and yet other shows which contain racist, sexist, tropes etc. on top of bad plot elements receive little to no criticism from some of these same members? Eh, I find it hypocritical to be honest.

Ghazan would get represented with a Blaziken and Ming Hua is a Poliwrath.

Ghazan is a goddamned Groudon. He's too hype.

Welp, finished my full re-watch. Exactly what I needed. Man, as much as I dislike that mech in Balance, I gotta say that action was hype. And there was a build up to it. So subtle though...

You know what? That's it. That's why I found Book 4 so weird. I couldn't explain it, but now I got it. Now, I don't mind subtle plot lines or arcs that don't take too much prominence. It's nice to see things happen without making a big deal out of it, but therein lies the issue: This is the final Book. This is the one season, out of all the seasons, that you have to make everything a big deal. It's so weird then, that it is not the case for this. Were they banking on there being another Book after this? It's what it feels like. I wonder if budget cuts affected that. This book did seem a bit lighter on action than the rest.

So odd, and I'm sticking with it as my least favorite Book. I'm looking forward to the commentaries, though. Also, genuinely curious to see if those extra two minutes for Day of the Colossus are on the BD. And if those other four minutes even exist.

I had more on this post that shows exactly why I put the other Books over Balance, but my post would have been too lengthy otherwise. I can post it otherwise.

TLOK gets criticized and yet other shows which contain racist, sexist, tropes etc. on top of bad plot elements receive little to no criticism from some of these same members? Eh, I find it hypocritical to be honest.

I find the complaining has a lot to do with people's expectations and interest of a show, and not the actual content, which is why I don't find the complaining about Korra hypocritical, personally (though I do find this thread sometimes is a little too negative towards the show). I think to be in this thread, you have to care about Legend of Korra a lot, because otherwise, it's not worth the effort posting.

To give an example, I'm personally a huge fan of Doctor Who, and I complain about the direction that show, or episode of that show, takes constantly. The reason I do is because I love it, and hope to see it get better and hope to see the writers learn from their mistakes. I also occasionally complain about Legend of Korra for the same reason, especially when the creators in my mind slip up, like with the love triangles back in Book 1. I think the majority of the people here want to see a great series, and they complain when it doesn't live up to their high expectations.

And also, if they don't complain about other, less well-written shows, it doesn't make them hypocrites, it just means they don't care enough about those shows to complain. To use another example involving Doctor Who, one of the main episode I complain about is the 50th anniversary, which the majority of people think is a good, even great, episode. I even think it's a good episode, but only that. However, IMO, if a few things were changed, and it didn't make a few missteps, I think it could have been great. That's the reason I complain about it, because it had the potential to be more.

However, if I've watched another show, even if it is worse written than either Korra or the Doctor Who 50th, I don't complain too much about it, because I don't see it being able to go from good to great with a few little changes, and bit of constructive criticism. Just because the people in this thread don't complain about terrible writing in other shows, doesn't mean they like bad writing unless it's in Legend of Korra. It just means that they don't care enough about those other shows to complain in as much detail as they do for Legend of Korra.

In the DW fandom, there are occasionally arguments about how certain people can claim to love something, when they complain about it so much. In my experience, the complaining, and the effort it takes to do it, is fueled by people's love for the show. I think for many people, it's the same for Legend of Korra.

Daemul

Ash should have won the Sinnoh League, his team was the strongest. But the writers legit created a character with 6 Legendary pokemon JUST TO STOP ASH FROM WINNING!

A character who's entire existence was to stop Ash from achieving his dream. I think the writers ether love or hate him.

This bullshit is why I completely stopped watching the Pokemon anime. Ash was boss in Sinnoh, his team was awesome and he was at the peak of his powers, it felt like all that hard work of his was about to pay off and that he was destined to win the league and face the Elite 4 and Cynthia. Then Tobias happened...

This random ass dude no one has ever fucking heard of comes the fuck out of nowhere with a team consisting of pokemon like fucking Darkrai and starts sweeping everyone. It was the most blatant asspull from the writers ever, they knew no one could stop Ash so they created an entirely new fucking character for that very purpose, because for some fucking retarded reason, they think that Ash winning the league would be detrimental to the fucking show, even though the introduction and quick disappearance of Deus Ex fucking Tobias, hurt the show a hell of a lot more than Ash winning a league ever fucking could.

Seriously, fuck the Pokemon writers, ain't nobody got time for their bullshit.

Afrocious

I think it goes without saying that Pokemon Origins needs to be watched by any first-gen fan Pokemon fan, or any Pokemon fan in general.

This bullshit is why I completely stopped watching the Pokemon anime. Ash was boss in Sinnoh, his team was awesome and he was at the peak of his powers, it felt like all that hard work of his was about to pay off and that he was destined to win the league and face the Elite 4 and Cynthia. Then Tobias happened...

This random ass dude no one has ever fucking heard of comes the fuck out of nowhere with a team consisting of pokemon like fucking Darkrai and starts sweeping everyone. It was the most blatant asspull from the writers ever, they knew no one could stop Ash so they created an entirely new fucking character for that very purpose, because for some fucking retarded reason, they think that Ash winning the league would be detrimental to the fucking show, even though the introduction and quick disappearance of Deus Ex fucking Tobias, hurt the show a hell of a lot more than Ash winning a league ever fucking could.

My favorite episode of Pokemon is when Ash fights Ritchie at the Indigo Championship and loses because Charizard falls asleep. Charizard is garbage and Ash is also garbage.

Granted, I only got to Johto, and I barely remember what I watched of it.

The Scollard said:
I find the complaining has a lot to do with people's expectations and interest of a show, and not the actual content, which is why I don't find the complaining about Korra hypocritical, personally (though I do find this thread sometimes is a little too negative towards the show). I think to be in this thread, you have to care about Legend of Korra a lot, because otherwise, it's not worth the effort posting.

To give an example, I'm personally a huge fan of Doctor Who, and I complain about the direction that show, or episode of that show, takes constantly. The reason I do is because I love it, and hope to see it get better and hope to see the writers learn from their mistakes. I also occasionally complain about Legend of Korra for the same reason, especially when the creators in my mind slip up, like with the love triangles back in Book 1. I think the majority of the people here want to see a great series, and they complain when it doesn't live up to their high expectations.

And also, if they don't complain about other, less well-written shows, it doesn't make them hypocrites, it just means they don't care enough about those shows to complain. To use another example involving Doctor Who, one of the main episode I complain about is the 50th anniversary, which the majority of people think is a good, even great, episode. I even think it's a good episode, but only that. However, IMO, if a few things were changed, and it didn't make a few missteps, I think it could have been great. That's the reason I complain about it, because it had the potential to be more.

However, if I've watched another show, even if it is worse written than either Korra or the Doctor Who 50th, I don't complain too much about it, because I don't see it being able to go from good to great with a few little changes, and bit of constructive criticism. Just because the people in this thread don't complain about terrible writing in other shows, doesn't mean they like bad writing unless it's in Legend of Korra. It just means that they don't care enough about those other shows to complain in as much detail as they do for Legend of Korra.

In the DW fandom, there are occasionally arguments about how certain people can claim to love something, when they complain about it so much. In my experience, the complaining, and the effort it takes to do it, is fueled by people's love for the show. I think for many people, it's the same for Legend of Korra.

Excellent post, and I have understood that for awhile, but I have a question for you though: Would you agree that at some point, people need to let go of their high expectations and accept the show for what it is and did?

360pages

It was really dumb.

Is starting with a new character that bad? Ash resets anyway, guess Pikachu is a staple. But what the hell is wrong with switching out the main character. Ash forget lessons he learns from season to season. (Also Raichu is better than Pikachu)

It was really dumb.

Is starting with a new character that bad? Ash resets anyway, guess Pikachu is a staple. But what the hell is wrong with switching out the main character. Ash forget lessons he learns from season to season. (Also Raichu is better than Pikachu)

I question though: If Ash is that weak when he enters a new region despite being strong in the previous one, does that mean that if some other trainer came from a region like say, Sinnoh, that they would sweep Indigo?

Daemul

My favorite episode of Pokemon is when Ash fights Ritchie at the Indigo Championship and loses because Charizard falls asleep. Charizard is garbage and Ash is also garbage.

Granted, I only got to Johto, and I barely remember what I watched of it.

He was garbage then, but he improved greatly from there, from doing well in Hoenn to beating the Battle Frontier, and he got even better in Sinnoh. The dude became boss and I actually started to believe in him achieving his goal of becoming a Pokemon master, but the writers dun fucked it up and pulled a random ass trainer with legendary pokemon out of thin air just to beat him, because there was no one else who could, the dude was going to stroll to the Championship.

Why legendaries are even allowed in the league is beyond me.

He was garbage then, but he improved greatly from there, from doing well in Hoenn to beating the Battle Frontier, and he got even better in Sinnoh. The dude became boss and I actually started to believe in him achieving his goal of becoming a Pokemon master, but the writers dun fucked it up and pulled a random ass trainer with legendary pokemon out of thin air just to beat him, because there was no one else who could, the dude was going to stroll to the Championship.

Why legendaries are even allowed in the league is beyond me.

Still though. It was hilarious.

360pages

I question though: If Ash is that weak when he enters a new region despite being strong in the previous one, does that mean that if some other trainer came from a region like say, Sinnoh, that they would sweep Indigo?

The funny thing...Ash flat out says he can do that, but it would ruin the fun. Which made sense if that wasn't his life goal!

Afrocious

Logically, if someone had strong pokemon from one region and could sweep trainers in it, then they could go to another region and sweep trainers there as well.

The only thing stopping them from taking a championship would be the rules behind getting a region's badges, but Pokemon lore hasn't gotten to that point yet. I forget if it does in Origins, but in that show, it implies gym leaders use different kinds of Pokemon depending on how many badges a challenger has.

I've always pictured if someone had eight badges from one region and wanted to go to another but had to get eight badges there, the gym leaders in the second region would fight the challenger at full strength. Kind of similar to how it was in Pokemon Gold.

Yay

I'm not going get hung up and be super harsh on something I really enjoyed enough to actually get invested in to begin with, and I felt it did its job of being a good action series. I never saw it as trying to pass itself off as as anything more than that, so why would I treat it like it was? I just don't see the problems as impactful as others do. I've stated my major criticisms and what I thought could have been done better in my eyes. If you don't think that's good enough, well I guess I can't help it.

Either way, I've made my peace.

So you didn't have much of an expectation then?

well that's completely fair to feel that (and with that context your posts is seen in a different light tbh) but there are others who had more, especially when they had a previous series which they loved and they could set as a bar. So when it doesn't make it for some reason (especially if the reason it didn't reach could have been "fixed" with something extra or they are not doing something they did before) you can see why people would react the way they do.

Everyone can have their own "bar" of course but it think the overall bar in the thread(s) is somewhat high and then outliers like Veelk (and BorkBork when he was posting in threads) who got way more out of it, hence the bigger backlash once things started to crumble at points. Also add the themes that seemed more "serious" and had more potential (hell the Amon/Equality stuff spawned many pages of discussion before the first episode was fucking released LOL) and well...

Some people are really passionate i guess.

jeffgoldblumthereitis.gif

might just edit out my section tbh.

360pages

Logically, if someone had strong pokemon from one region and could sweep trainers in it, then they could go to another region and sweep trainers there as well.

The only thing stopping them from taking a championship would be the rules behind getting a region's badges, but Pokemon lore hasn't gotten to that point yet. I forget if it does in Origins, but in that show, it implies gym leaders use different kinds of Pokemon depending on how many badges a challenger has.

I've always pictured if someone had eight badges from one region and wanted to go to another but had to get eight badges there, the gym leaders in the second region would fight the challenger at full strength. Kind of similar to how it was in Pokemon Gold.

Yay

Yep BW2 confirmed it.

The first Gym leader of the game was the rival in the previous game, and flat out states he would have whipped the floor with you if he used his real team, (You get to fight him again in Post game and his team are in their 60s)

It's dependent on the amount of badges the challenger has. So anyone can start in an town,

Excellent post, and I have understood that for awhile, but I have a question for you though: Would you agree that at some point, people need to let go of their high expectations and accept the show for what it is and did?

Generally:

Depending on the love they had i expect either a no or it might take some time.

Some have already taken the crazy (imo) way out (aka flat out ignoring the series) iirc so..lol

Also when its about lost potential for anything its gonna be brought up somehow and the "bad" parts will usually be the things that are talked about.

Personally:

i've already done that and i'm just shooting shit with whoever likes to bring up something about the series (which at this point in time is the "lost potential"/"bad" stuff)

Daemul

The thing about Gym Leaders using certain pokemon based on the amount of badges you have is confirmed in Pokemon Black 2 with Charon, the Black 1 protagonists best mate and rival, where he complains that he can't use his strongest team because you don't have enough badges. When you battle him in the post game you will face his best team though.

I do think though, that if you came with a full strength team from another region, gym leaders won't hold back and would bring out their A game, regardless of how many badges you have.

EDIT:Damnit, beaten by 360pages lol

So you didn't have much of an expectation then?

well that's completely fair to feel that (and with that context your posts is seen in a different light tbh) but there are others who had more, especially when they had a previous series which they loved and they could set as a bar. So when it doesn't make it for some reason (especially if the reason it didn't reach could have been "fixed" with something extra or they are not doing something they did before) you can see why people would react the way they do.

Everyone can have their own "bar" of course but it think the overall bar in the thread(s) is somewhat high and then outliers like Veelk (and BorkBork when he was posting in threads) who got way more out of it hence the bigger backlash once things started to crumble at points. Also add the themes that seemed more "serious" and had more potential (hell the Amon/Equality stuff spawned many pages of discussion before the first episode was fucking released LOL) and well...

Of course I had expectations. ATLA is one of my favorite series of all time. My expectations were up there, and I was let down on more than a few occasions. I just got over it quicker and accepted that it's a different series. I just genuinely do not think this series is a bad as people think, and that the issues people find with it are nearly as massive as they're made out to be. I apologize for being inconsiderate, if anyone felt that way. I also apologize if that means I'm not "passionate" enough, or apparently don't love or care about the series enough.

Infinite Justice said:
Generally:

Depending on the love they had i expect either a no or it might take some time.

Some have already taken the crazy (imo) way out (aka flat out ignoring the series) iirc so..lol

Also when its about lost potential for anything its gonna be brought up somehow and the "bad" parts will usually be the things that are talked about.

Personally:

i've already done that and i'm just shooting shit with whoever likes to bring up something about the series (which at this point in time is the "lost potential"/"bad" stuff)

I understand that stuff will always come up, but that's not what I mean when I say stuff has to be let go. Obviously, you will like or dislike or feel however you want about a series and have reasons attached to those feelings. But at some point, you have to just accept it for what it is, that it did things, and move on with your time. Some people hang on too much, and it ends up getting toxic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom