• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Korra: Book 4 |OT2| ALL HAIL THE GREAT UNITER

Status
Not open for further replies.
I honestly completely forget that shit. I know most of what was said to him was regarding the investigation he was doing in regards to Varrick Industries and his ties to the Civil War, because nobody believed that quirky nut bag was tied to it. Was he chewed out for any other reason?

Lin was a bitch because she's Lin Bei Fong, that's just usually how she operated for the first two seasons. She's either doing that or pulling some noble sacrifice shit.

He gets chewed out for being crazy, but also gets berated for trying to be a detective when he isn't and for overstepping his bounds, but to be fair, he was. Lin could have listened, though. He helped stop Amon. They fucking fought together (kind of). Those detectives were morons, but they weren't corrupt. Just dumb as fuck and full of themselves. He also gets chided for the break up with Korra and Lin greets their return from the Southern Water Tribe with "thanks for the war." Although, that was primarily a shot at Korra and not Mako.

ED Cantu

Lin and Mako really did need some more time with each other, they actually had a pretty good dynamic and Lin was pretty chill with him. She never really chewed the kid out on screen.

I agree, except for some moments in book 2 Lin always seemed to get along with Mako, maybe that's why I've seen some fans online saying that Mako is like Lin's adoptive son lol.

He gets chewed out for being crazy, but also gets berated for trying to be a detective when he isn't and for overstepping his bounds, but to be fair, he was. Lin could have listened, though. He helped stop Amon. They fucking fought together (kind of). Those detectives were morons, but they weren't corrupt. Just dumb as fuck and full of themselves. He also gets chided for the break up with Korra and Lin greets their return from the Southern Water Tribe with "thanks for the war." Although, that was primarily a shot at Korra and not Mako.
Man I'm really going to have to do a full rewatch of this show. I remember stuff but not everything. Those two dumb detectives really just existed to eat cake. How the fuck did they even make detective? I don't think Lin chided Mako for the break up. I honestly think she just sarcastically teased him, unless there's another part of that scene I'm forgetting.

Man I'm really going to have to do a full rewatch of this show. I remember stuff but not everything. Those two dumb detectives really just existed to eat cake. How the fuck did they even make detective? I don't think Lin chided Mako for the break up. I honestly think she just sarcastically teased him, unless there's another part of that scene I'm forgetting.

?

I thought the implication was that the detectives were on Varrick's payroll, and they planted the incriminating evidence in Mako's apartment. Although I do suppose nothing explicit is said on that.
It was never explicitly stated. They both got chucked in a locker and were unaware of Varrick's plan to kidnap Raiko, so I doubt they were on his payroll. There's an implication, but I always got the idea that they were just idiots and full of themselves based on the fact that they are apparently the only two detectives on the entire police force.

And no, I have no idea how that could even happen. Bei Fong fired them at the end, though. I think she offered Mako a position.

Mako did get promoted. Holy shit how did I forget that? I literally just watched all of it.

Daemul

A cool Korrasami wallpaper for anyone who's looking for one.

gw5Vl4.jpg

Beth Cyra

I love Asami but I wouldn't make her my phone cover lol. I would put her on the background though.
I have no shame in this kinda thing.

Granted I'm a transwoman so I just naturally go all out given my life and how it is lol.

Though a Su and Kurvira ship would be my background :)

Kinvara

She seemed super salt about Tenzin leaving her. Tenzin had to put in work to convince her to work together during the Equalist movement, she tore the fuck out of Air Temple Island after Tenzin broke up with her, and when she was hashing it out with Su, the thing that sent her over the edge was when Su brought up Tenzin leaving her.

I don't feel bad for her about not being in a relationship or with children, but she was salty about that shit hard.

They're ex-lovers and I'm sure she was upset with Tenzin immediately after the break-up.

But they also are very different personality wise and while their past romantic relationship probably didn't help things I viewed their conflict with each other during Book 1 being primarily based on disagreement on how to manage Republic City. Any past grudges against Tenzin were resolved when she sacrificed herself in order to help his family.

Forward to Book 3. What Suyin said was an incredibly insulting, unnecessary comment to make, regardless of whether or not Lin was still "salty" about the past relationship. It was a low blow and would have angered anyone.

Beth Cyra

One of us!

In your face Toa!!
At first I wasn't. The older woman, the girl aspect it was just ahhh I don't know.

Then I remember that Kuvira totally held her own and if anything would be the aggressor and they do look really hot together and it could really be awesome just for Lin's reaction to it and even more Toph's.

They're ex-lovers and I'm sure she was upset with Tenzin immediately after the break-up.

But they also are very different personality wise and while their past romantic relationship probably didn't help things I viewed their conflict with each other during Book 1 being primarily based on disagreement on how to manage Republic City. Any past grudges against Tenzin were resolved when she sacrificed herself in order to help his family.

Forward to Book 3. What Suyin said was an incredibly insulting, unnecessary comment to make, regardless of whether or not Lin was still "salty" about the past relationship. It was a low blow and would have angered anyone.

All things true. Su was still right though.

Man can anyone find a gif of Kuvira seeing Toph and being all like "alright alright you win" during Operation Bei Fong? Because that shit was super hype.

tumblr_ngyq9anTon1sbixy3o5_500.gif

Watching through Book 2 again, I actually think I really enjoy the arc where Mako plays detective. To be fair, I actually didn't mind it the first time through, but looking back, I think it's my favourite part of that book. I certainly liked it a lot better than the whole Unalaq/Spirit stuff, though it took me until now to realize why.

I feel the Mako arc fits so much better with the time period of Book 1 than any of the other stuff in Book 2. Think about it: you have a young, honest cop looking into a seemingly open-and-shut case, only to find a bigger conspiracy with ties to an influential and powerful business, where his investigation is stone-walled by corrupt superiors, and which causes him to lose a lot in taking said businessman down. That's a basic Film Noir plot there. And tell me, which decade was Noir popular in North America? The 1930's, that's when.

Though my opinion may be unpopular, the Mako arc is my favourite part of Book 2, so I'm going to give it some of the love I think it deserves. One, Mako is the character who acts the least stupid in that book (though, to be fair, that doesn't mean much considering everybody else had a brain aneurysm that season). Two, you have Varrick as a villain, which is awesome. I mean the "hello Mako" scene from The Sting has to be one of my favourite scenes from the whole show, and not to mention, a villain reveal that actually was shocking, unlike the Unalaq reveal earlier. Three, I love Film Noir, and I think the Noir-inspired plotline was really interesting, certainly more interesting than anything involving Unalaq.

So yeah, I like that plotline in B2. I sort of wished they stuck with it, and maybe drew Korra and the other members of Team Avatar into the conspiracy. It certainly felt more natural considering the time then the plot of giant kites trying to destroy the world. I liked the 1920's-1930's vibe of B1, and I felt that was the stronger points of all the books (ie. Earth Queen death in B3 reflecting the Chinese Revolution, and Kuvira representing the rise of dictators in the 1930s). I wish they stuck with that more in Book 2.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Pft, how about a phone cover?

I need this phone cover. Like ASAP!

For my fellow yuri lovers in here, just wanted to give you a heads up about an upcoming anime titled Yuri Kuma Arashi (aka Lesbian Bear Storm) which has already aired in Japan and should be subbed for us soon.

It's directed by Kunuhiko Ikuhara, who was also responsible for directing Revolutionary Girl Utena and Mawaru Penguindrum. Get hype!

There's also an OT made by Lafiel.

Kinvara

Watching through Book 2 again, I actually think I really enjoy the arc where Mako plays detective. To be fair, I actually didn't mind it the first time through, but looking back, I think it's my favourite part of that book. I certainly liked it a lot better than the whole Unalaq/Spirit stuff, though it took me until now to realize why.

I feel the Mako arc fits so much better with the time period of Book 1 than any of the other stuff in Book 2. Think about it: you have a young, honest cop looking into a seemingly open-and-shut case, only to find a bigger conspiracy with ties to an influential and powerful business, where his investigation is stone-walled by corrupt superiors, and which causes him to lose a lot in taking said businessman down. That's a basic Film Noir plot there. And tell me, which decade was Noir popular in North America? The 1930's, that's when.

Though my opinion may be unpopular, the Mako arc is my favourite part of Book 2, so I'm going to give it some of the love I think it deserves. One, Mako is the character who acts the least stupid in that book (though, to be fair, that doesn't mean much considering everybody else had a brain aneurysm that season). Two, you have Varrick as a villain, which is awesome. I mean the "hello Mako" scene from The Sting has to be one of my favourite scenes from the whole show, and not to mention, a villain reveal that actually was shocking, unlike the Unalaq reveal earlier. Three, I love Film Noir, and I think the Noir-inspired plotline was really interesting, certainly more interesting than anything involving Unalaq.

So yeah, I like that plotline in B2. I sort of wished they stuck with it, and maybe drew Korra and the other members of Team Avatar into the conspiracy. It certainly felt more natural considering the time then the plot of giant kites trying to destroy the world. I liked the 1920's-1930's vibe of B1, and I felt that was the stronger points of all the books (ie. Earth Queen death in B3 reflecting the Chinese Revolution, and Kuvira representing the rise of dictators in the 1930s). I wish they stuck with that more in Book 2.

You're not alone. I have a friend who loves Mako as a character and that's one of their favorite episodes.

Mako becoming a detective is a very fitting development for his character considering his past and his personality.

Hamlet

Seriously though, is there an actual reason for this?

I guess they decided there's no market for an ATLA blu-ray or they just can't be bothered doing it. This is the same company that decided not to release more LOK soundtracks despite the first one selling quite well.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
Here's the thing though: Doesn't anything Avatarverse related do really well in sales? I'm almost positive The Legend of Korra by P* did fairly well all things considered.

but the toys (that they havent made) arent selling, so who cares

Kinvara

Here's the thing though: Doesn't anything Avatarverse related do really well in sales? I'm almost positive The Legend of Korra by P* did fairly well all things considered.

You mean like DVD sales or merch?

Because there's barely any merch to begin with.

but the toys (that they havent made) arent selling, so who cares

Not making proper toys for A:TLA was another huge blunder. Nick is so incompetent.

Best review of the TLoK by P* that I found while looking for sales numbers

Tried playing as if I was Korra. i.e., I attacked everything as fast as possible and didn't even learn what the block or dodge buttons were. Lost 9/10 fights. Therefore, this game earns a 9/10.

Kinvara

I'm curious as to what this is: Avatar: The Last Airbender: Legacy

Now a man, Aang looks back on these adventurous years—from being found in the ice to fighting epic battles to negotiating peace. This is Aang’s story, his mementos, and keepsakes. Avatar: The Last Airbender: Legacy is the collection that Aang passes down to his son Tenzin, who will one day be a master Airbender, too. Readers will relish Aang’s heroic tales and the posters, clippings, cards, and maps he gathered along the way!

I think it's just a kids book tho. I'll probably get it regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom