• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Korra: Book 4 |OT2| ALL HAIL THE GREAT UNITER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daemul

Yep BW2 confirmed it.

The first Gym leader of the game was the rival in the previous game, and flat out states he would have whipped the floor with you if he used his real team, (You get to fight him again in Post game and his team are in their 60s)

It's dependent on the amount of badges the challenger has. So anyone can start in an town,

Yeah, I have to say it was very humbling when I found out that gym leaders were holding back. I mean I had always suspected it, but I still made fun of gym leaders like Falkner(the first gym leader you fight in Johto) for being weak, when it turns out that they were going easy on me and could have destroyed me if they wished lol

Kinvara

I think this point is valid but I've seen too many posts in here and in the last thread that simply state Book 4 is bad or the entire series is bad without bothering to engage in any kind of discussion.

I didn't have a meaningful discussion about TLOK until I actually talked with a friend this weekend about it.

Trey

I think this point is valid but I've seen too many posts in here and in the last thread that simply state Book 4 is bad or the entire series is bad without bothering to engage in any kind of discussion.

I didn't have a meaningful discussion about TLOK until I actually talked with a friend this weekend about it.

I'm offended.

360pages

Yeah, I have to say it was very humbling when I found out that gym leaders were holding back. I mean I had always suspected it, but I still made fun of gym leaders like Falkner(the first gym leader you fight in Johto) for being weak, when it turns out that they were going easy on me and could have destroyed me if they wished lol

It is a nice lore addition and makes the world make sense. Considering the only way it would be logical is if everyone started at the same town.

Afrocious

It is a nice lore addition and makes the world make sense. Considering the only way it would be logical is if everyone started at the same town.

I liked how in Origins, when Red is getting the eighth badge, Giovanni's Pokemon are in Ultra Balls.

Small details like that mean a lot.

360pages

I liked how in Origins, when Red is getting the eighth badge, Giovanni's Pokemon are in Ultra Balls.

Small details like that mean a lot.

To be fair most pokemon Villains are actually rather interesting and well rounded. I legit think some of them are more interesting than Legend of Korra's villains.

Cyrus and N being the most.

I like N is legit the first person ever that thinks making pokemon fight one another might be a little fucked. And how he grows as a character from the first game to the second understanding Ideals and truths.

And Cyrus break down once you finally beat hin in Platinum.

"I won't accept this! This can't be! Not after all the sacrifices we've made to get this far! What of my new world?! Of my new galaxy?! Was this all a dream to be swept away by your reality?!"

"Silence! Enough of your blathering! That's how you justify spirit as something worthwhile?! That is merely humans hoping, deluding themselves that they are happy and safe! The emotions roiling inside me... Rage, hatred, frustration... These ugly emotions arise because of my own incomplete spirit! ...Enough. We will never see eye to eye. This, I promise you. I will break the secrets of the world. With that knowledge, I will create my own complete and perfect world. One day, you will awaken to a world of my creation. A world without spirit."

For those who don't now, Cyrus wanted to erase all emotion from the world.

Of course I had expectations. ATLA is one of my favorite series of all time. My expectations were up there, and I was let down on more than a few occasions. I just got over it quicker and accepted that it's a different series. I just genuinely do not think this series is a bad as people think, and that the issues people find with it are nearly as massive as they're made out to be. I apologize for being inconsiderate, if anyone felt that way. I also apologize if that means I'm not "passionate" enough, or apparently don't love or care about the series enough.

i will apologize for that first line since it sounded like i was placing words in your mouth tbh.

And yes some will get over it quicker than others but i think their was still hope and flashes of that level people thought would happen (it didn't help when they brought in more ATLA references and stuff to branch from) but then it really didn't.

It reminds me of the recent hype on gaming side for a game until it's released :p

I understand that stuff will always come up, but that's not what I mean when I say stuff has to be let go. Obviously, you will like or dislike or feel however you want about a series and have reasons attached to those feelings. But at some point, you have to just accept it for what it is, that it did things, and move on with your time. Some people hang on too much, and it ends up getting toxic.

and i'm saying it might take some time or it won't for people. We'll see

*shrug*

I'm curious about the discussion you had that was meaningful concerning season 4. The good parts of it, in my opinion, were the action scenes, animation and parts of Korra' development. Also, Varrick and Bolin of course.

The main points of discussion would probably be Kuvira & Korra's goals and development. What were their goals? The methods how they achieve said goals. The reasoning behind those methods and goals. Were they presented in an adequate manner?

I usually stay out of meaningful discussions and veer into the "Lost potential" and "What if" tropes of posting. I would like to maybe try, albeit so far what has been said in relation to the aforementioned questions can be summed up in "Eh, it's okay" or "Meh" from this OT and its predecessor.
Edit: Or not at the moment, because it's pretty damn late. And you were talking about TLOK in general, nevermind~

To be fair most pokemon Villains are actually rather interesting and well rounded. I legit think some of them are more interesting than Legend of Korra's villains.

I like N is legit the first person ever that thinks making pokemon fight one another might be a little fucked. And how he grows as a character from the first game to the second understanding Ideals and truths.

"I won't accept this! This can't be! Not after all the sacrifices we've made to get this far! What of my new world?! Of my new galaxy?! Was this all a dream to be swept away by your reality?!"

"Silence! Enough of your blathering! That's how you justify spirit as something worthwhile?! That is merely humans hoping, deluding themselves that they are happy and safe! The emotions roiling inside me... Rage, hatred, frustration... These ugly emotions arise because of my own incomplete spirit! ...Enough. We will never see eye to eye. This, I promise you. I will break the secrets of the world. With that knowledge, I will create my own complete and perfect world. One day, you will awaken to a world of my creation. A world without spirit."

ever since i realized (iirc) that the Elite Four in Red/Blue were complete dicks i started to respect these Pokemon villains a bit (except the bwhahaha i'll use them to take over the world ones) but i stopped paying attention to the games eventually.

After being curious again and i read up on N i would also add him as well (even though i think his reasoning was a bit misguided and a bit too biased for the pokemon imo)

Sounds like Cyrus is interesting as well, so maybe i should read up on him also.

Afrocious

It's amazing how the plot of Pokemon X and Y is shit, after playing Black/White 1.

I wasn't into BW2, but I do acknowledge that it's probably the most complete Pokemon game since Emerald or Platinum.

Just when we were starting to get somewhat decent writing we didn't ask for in Pokemon, they go and take it away with X/Y.

360pages

ever since i realized (iirc) that the Elite Four in Red/Blue were complete dicks i started to respect these Pokemon villains a bit (except the bwhahaha i'll use them to take over the world ones) but i stopped paying attention to the games eventually

after reading up on N i would add him as well (even though i think his reasoning was a bit misguided and a bit too biased for the pokemon imo). Sounds like Cyrus is interesting as well

N is legit the best villain in the series. So good that it's hard to even call him a villain rather than someone who has a different idea than you. Even at the end of the game where he still couldn't completely agree with you he understood where you were coming from.

This all comes to a head in BW2 when he pulls a big damn heroes moment.

BW1 uses themes really well, and developed characters perfectly.

(Cheren learning that he will never be as good as the MC in pokemon battles and decides to become a teacher. Learning not all goals are reachable)

360pages

It's amazing how the plot of Pokemon X and Y is shit, after playing Black/White 1.

I wasn't into BW2, but I do acknowledge that it's probably the most complete Pokemon game since Emerald or Platinum.

Just when we were starting to get somewhat decent writing we didn't ask for in Pokemon, they go and take it away with X/Y.

X/Y was probably more focused on the graphics, though it does themes of lost and acceptance well. Like the beauty of living in the moment, hopefully those are expanded in the third game.

Omega Ruby I think , might have a Gay character in it, in Zinnia in Delta EP.

It's not said right out, but a short of it is, a woman leaves note for uncovering a mystery in the scenario. You later found out this woman is dead, Zinnia refers to this woman by name, so it probably wasn't her mother and she looked too young to have a child that was old enough to leave research notes.

She also talks about how much she loved this person and missed her and would give anything to hold her one more time. It might be her lover or her close friend. The game never shows this woman and we don't get anything past that.

orochi91

Currently marathoning ATLA, and I must say, it's even better than what I remembered watching years ago.

Excited (and apprehensive) to start LoK soon.

I hope character development is near as good as in ATLA, though judging from the comments here I probably shouldn't be expecting anything as compelling as Zuko's character arc(s).

Afrocious

I probably shouldn't be expecting anything as compelling as Zuko's character arc(s).

Yeah, don't.

Do whatever you want and honestly, have whatever expectations you want since you're free to do that. However, if you want to enjoy it, just take the show for what it presents and know it gets better after Book 2.

Currently marathoning ATLA, and I must say, it's even better than what I remembered watching years ago.

I hope character development is near as good as in ATLA, though judging from the comments here I probably shouldn't be expecting anything as compelling as Zuko's character arc(s).

Yeah...about that. Don't expect anything on the character front in LoK.

Enjoy season one, then turn your brain off in season 2, enjoy the hell out of season 3, and turn your brain off again in season 4.

Daemul

Conversations with Cyrus were unnerving, he was a damn good villain, and it was good to to be able to go to the house he grew up in(well, it was implied to be the place he was raised in) and discover how as a boy, he spent more time with his machines than with people. That was a great little insight into his past.

N was boss though, I found it hard to disagree with the guy. I'm not even sure whether to count him as a villain because he didn't really feel like one. The dude was so well written.

Omega Ruby I think , might have a Gay character in it, in Zinnia in Delta EP.

It's not said right out, but a short of it is, a woman leaves note for uncovering a mystery in the scenario. You later found out this woman is dead, Zinnia refers to this woman by name, so it probably wasn't her mother and she looked too young to have a child that was old enough to leave research notes.

She also talks about how much she loved this person and missed her and would give anything to hold her one more time. It might be her lover or her close friend. The game never shows this woman and we don't get anything past that.

Do you have the Japenese version? If not you should check with someone who does, because I've realised that a lot of text gets omitted or changed when the Pokemon games are brought over to the west, like the fact that humans used to marry Pokemon, so you'll probably find that the Japanese version will be more overt when it comes to whether or not that woman is actually gay.

360pages

Conversations with Cyrus were unnerving, he was a damn good villain, and it was good to to be able to go to the house he grew up in(well, it was implied to be the place he was raised in) and discover how as a boy, he spent more time with his machines than with people. That was a great little insight into his past.

N was boss though, I found it hard to disagree with the guy. I'm not even sure whether to count him as a villain because he didn't really feel like one. The dude was so well written.

Do you have the Japenese version? If not you should check with someone who does, because I've realised that a lot of text gets omitted or changed when the Pokemon games are brought over to the west, like the fact that humans used to marry Pokemon, so you'll probably find that the Japanese version will be more overt when it comes to whether or not that woman is actually gay.

The entire quote is this.
"... See that, Aster? You always wanted to watch them, right? The Litleonids. A million glittering stars falling from the sky... The show is about to start.""Aren't we happy now? Yes, what could be better, dear Aster? Ha ha...""... Welcome to the Dragonhark altar. <player>. You know what I am trying to do here by now, don't you? That's right. I will summon Rayquaza to this world to destroy the meteoroid headed for Hoenn. That is my... It is our duty."Ever since I was a little girl, I have always turned my eyes up to the sky. When I was so full of uncertainty that I felt my heart might be crushed by it... When I was so grief-stricken and alone I thought my heart might break of it... What about you? Have you ever had to do something like that?" I have: "Right...""... I used to watch the stars like this all the time... Together with Aster. We were always together. In good times and in bad. But I still lost her.""... Hahaha... ... I want to see her... I want to be with her again... My sweet Aster...""I will, won't I? With this... Just a little longer..."

She names one of her pokemon Aster for her lost friend.

We don't get anymore than that and the game doesn't mention it outside the fact that Aster is female.

The Avatar has lost its way, controlled and raised by the old and feeble. Their vision and concerns do not extended farther than their arms length. Daring not to stretch beyond what they believe can reach. Under such a world order, is it not wrong to dream of something new and better? What is the use of an Avatar that only serves Kings and their ilk, barely a single thought given to the commoner? The lowly farmer. The desperate worker. And the nonbenders. They all dream of something better and it is not wrong to pursue these things my brothers and sisters. #AmonWasRight , #ZaheerWasRight ,#EvenKuvira

i said gat dam

Daemul

Yeah, dont expect too much like that from the show, but expect to still have one hell of a ride.

call me crazy here but i still think this was a unfortunate side effect of her being cooped up in the white lotus fortress stronghold for most of her life.

kanyeshrug.gif

Speaking of which
tumblr_nhos3gC1xs1qcfwqjo1_500.jpg

Daemul

tumblr_nhobtr1cvT1qjcqgvo1_r2_500.png

tumblr_nhobtr1cvT1qjcqgvo2_r4_500.png

Korra and Asami have been in the Spirit World for several weeks now, while Bolin has left with Opal to Zaofu to aid the poor nearby villages.

Mako can’t help but remember the 3 years of solitude he went through not long ago.

Toa TAK

Banned
I've started ahead with my re-watch of ATLA (since I haven't seen it since I was kid when it first aired) and man this show is great. Each of these characters are so charming in their own way. Sokka is funnier than Bolin by far. Aang's constantly childlike, but it's never annoying or overstays it's welcome through gags and is a great piece to his character. Katara owns, too as sorta the matriarch of the group as well. Zuko from the very get-go isn't a villain who comes off as mad evil for the sake of it, nor do you get the vibe that he's a super bad dude to begin with. Iroh still funny.

I think having the "filler" episodes help out a lot in regards to establishing a stronger connection to the characters with the audience. Or at the very least, letting them breathe. Seeing Zuko's own personal victories and side quests along side the Avatar is great as well because you're rooting for him since he's placed next to bigger jerks.

Only half-way through the first season on Amazon Prime, and I'll continue later tonight. But it helps put a lot of Korra's issues in perspective.

King Bumi is awesome, too.

I really dont get this way of thinking. Why do you guys assume Mako is doomed to jerking off forever.
Because after his relationship with Korra and Asami he practically closed his heart off to ever dating anybody else. On numerous occasions he never mentioned finding somebody else, kind of just shrugged it off a bit. Then after risking his life for Korra and pledging his eternal loyalty to her she drops his ass and gets with Asami. It was like "dude move on, you two are acquaintances. Find a woman that likes you and just stop waiting for Korra." If you've seen the show Angel even Angel eventually moved on from Buffy, it took a while, but it still happened. I'm not exactly equating love with happiness, but man they just left him with nobody.

SystemBug

Because after his relationship with Korra and Asami he practically closed his heart off to ever dating anybody else. On numerous occasions he never mentioned finding somebody else, kind of just shrugged it off a bit. Then after risking his life for Korra and pledging his eternal loyalty to her she drops his ass and gets with Asami. It was like "dude move on, you two are acquaintances. Find a woman that likes you and just stop waiting for Korra." If you've seen the show Angel even Angel eventually moved on from Buffy, it took a while, but it still happened. I'm not exactly equating love with happiness, but man they just left him with nobody.
Pledging loyalty = he wants some of that Korra action?

It seems like some of you guys need to do what Mako did, which was grow up

Kinvara

It's the same thing with Lin Beifong.

I hate the idea that any person that ends up not getting married and/or having kids is somehow a lonely, miserable person.

ED Cantu

I hate the idea that any person that ends up not getting married and/or having kids is somehow a lonely, miserable person.

Lin is a bad example IMO, I would consider Lin lonely and a bit miserable at the start of the series, but through the seasons she patched her relationship with people that were close to her in the past, Tenzin, Su and her mother.

And that's why I disagree with some people that think that Mako will end up like her, because unlike her he's not holding grudges against Bolin or both of his ex-girlfriends, besides Bryan mentioned on his post confirming Korrasami that he will be fine in the romance departement.

As crabby as Lin was she was one of my favorite characters on the show. And given what she had to deal with growing up Lin had legit reasons to be crabby. Mako doesn't, he actually should just find things to do that make him happy. If hanging around his ex and fighting for her makes him happy then fine. My whole view on that situation is something I honestly just like to poke fun at. Based on the beginning of season 2 he actually did enjoy being a cop. I guess if the ending showed him joining Lin back on the police force I would've preferred that. Now that I think about it give Mako a promotion, have Lin give him some sort of service medal...something not related to his actual relationship with Korra because he actually grew a lot away from her.
Lin is a bad example IMO, I would consider Lin lonely and a bit miserable at the start of the series, but through the seasons she patched her relationship with people that were close to her in the past, Tenzin, Su and her mother.

And that's why I disagree with some people that think that Mako will end up like her, because unlike her he's not holding grudges against Bolin or both of his ex-girlfriends, besides Bryan mentioned on his post confirming Korrasami that he will be fine in the romance departement.
That's good to know since I never read the entirety of Bryan's Korrasami post. Mako isn't much of a grudge holder...doesn't even hate the Triad people. Reflecting on the whole thing I think Mako's ending would've just been better used showing a proper improvement in his life...hell make him Lin's partner...I'd watch that sequel. Mako and Lin driving around Republic City solving crime.

Let's be honest with ourselves here: Lin refused to meet up with Su and Toph to sort things out. So, she had reasons to a certain point, and then it was just her being a huge bitch. Besides, she even liked Korra by the end of Air, and then proceeds to be a bitch to her from that point onwards. I mean, why? She gave your bending back to you!

Kinvara

I'm curious about the discussion you had that was meaningful concerning season 4. The good parts of it, in my opinion, were the action scenes, animation and parts of Korra' development. Also, Varrick and Bolin of course.

The main points of discussion would probably be Kuvira & Korra's goals and development. What were their goals? The methods how they achieve said goals. The reasoning behind those methods and goals. Were they presented in an adequate manner?

I usually stay out of meaningful discussions and veer into the "Lost potential" and "What if" tropes of posting. I would like to maybe try, albeit so far what has been said in relation to the aforementioned questions can be summed up in "Eh, it's okay" or "Meh" from this OT and its predecessor.
Edit: Or not at the moment, because it's pretty damn late. And you were talking about TLOK in general, nevermind~

I've already tried a couple times to talk about Kuvira in here but no one wanted to discuss it.

People in here don't seem to want to read into Kuvira's character other than "cold, heartless bitch".

Until Lin made amends with Su, though, that's exactly what she was.

She was bitter about her family issues- not the fact that she never married and/or had kids.

Lin now has a much better relationship with her family plus formed a healthy mentor/parent relationship with Mako.

She's fine where she is and I don't feel bad for at all.

Let's be honest with ourselves here: Lin refused to meet up with Su and Toph to sort things out. So, she had reasons to a certain point, and then it was just her being a huge bitch. Besides, she even liked Korra by the end of Air, and then proceeds to be a bitch to her from that point onwards. I mean, why? She gave your bending back to you!
I'm not refuting that shit, but nobody in her family really even tried apologizing, but then again they probably did, but she wasn't around to hear it. She grew up not even knowing about her dad. She did ask, Toph just never answered. She didn't even find out the dudes name until Bolin asked. Lin was a salty crab, but her family didn't exactly help that matter as well. Su and Toph probably just hashed out Su and Toph shit, but probably none of the stuff that Lin was pissed off about. Kids don't exactly have the same problems with their parents, it differs from person to person.
I've already tried a couple times to talk about Kuvira in here but no one wanted to discuss it.

People in here don't seem to want to read into Kuvira's character other than "cold, heartless bitch".
I know your comment isn't aimed at me, but I don't think I ever saw Kuvira as a cold heartless bitch. I wanted more on her and that's most of where my gripes came from, but regarding how they ended her story I've pretty much just felt sorry for her.

She was bitter about her family issues- not the fact that she never married and/or had kids.

Lin now has a much better relationship with her family plus formed a healthy mentor/parent relationship with Mako.

She's fine where she is and I don't feel bad for at all.

She seemed super salt about Tenzin leaving her. Tenzin had to put in work to convince her to work together during the Equalist movement, she tore the fuck out of Air Temple Island after Tenzin broke up with her, and when she was hashing it out with Su, the thing that sent her over the edge was when Su brought up Tenzin leaving her.

I don't feel bad for her about not being in a relationship or with children, but she was salty about that shit hard.

Also, after re-watching Balance, I don't think Kuvira was a cold heartless bitch at all. I just don't think that her snapping was portrayed very well. She definitely starts breaking down long before her actual breakdown at the end.

I'm not refuting that shit, but nobody in her family really even tried apologizing, but then again they probably did, but she wasn't around to hear it. She grew up not even knowing about her dad. She did ask, Toph just never answered. She didn't even find out the dudes name until Bolin asked. Lin was a salty crab, but her family didn't exactly help that matter as well. Su and Toph probably just hashed out Su and Toph shit, but probably none of the stuff that Lin was pissed off about. Kids don't exactly have the same problems with their parents, it differs from person to person.

Su did apologize, and made it a point to say that her and Toph had sorted things out and it was Lin's fault for not coming, because then she could have hashed her shit out too. I mean, Toph and Su made the effort and Lin just fucked off. Granted, Toph was distant and Su was irresponsible, but they both admitted that. It was literally the most effort Toph was ever going to make in that direction. Plus, in my opinion, if you try to sort things out with someone, and they refuse, then they can go fuck themselves. I can only make so much effort before it's no longer my fault. Su and Toph both probably felt that way (Toph usually feels that way though).

360pages

If the Anti-Avatar ever comes up again, I wouldn't mind them writing the character like N from BW1. I mean, not someone who is evil, but someone's who's ideas are different from the main character but not inherently wrong.

And by the end they accept they might never see eye to eye, but they both have valid points.

She seemed super salt about Tenzin leaving her. Tenzin had to put in work to convince her to work together during the Equalist movement, she tore the fuck out of Air Temple Island after Tenzin broke up with her, and when she was hashing it out with Su, the thing that sent her over the edge was when Su brought up Tenzin leaving her.

I don't feel bad for her about not being in a relationship or with children, but she was salty about that shit hard.

Also, after re-watching Balance, I don't think Kuvira was a cold heartless bitch at all. I just don't think that her snapping was portrayed very well. She definitely starts breaking down long before her actual breakdown at the end.

Su did apologize, and made it a point to say that her and Toph had sorted things out and it was Lin's fault for not coming, because then she could have hashed her shit out too. I mean, Toph and Su made the effort and Lin just fucked off. Granted, Toph was distant and Su was irresponsible, but they both admitted that. It was literally the most effort Toph was ever going to make in that direction. Plus, in my opinion, if you try to sort things out with someone, and they refuse, then they can go fuck themselves. I can only make so much effort before it's no longer my fault. Su and Toph both probably felt that way (Toph usually feels that way though).
Yeah you do have a point on that one. It's hard for Lin to reign back her pride and hot headed behavior in order to fix some of the situations she got herself into. A part of that whole thing is 50/50, but she never did try to fix anything. She just lashed out at people, which isn't going to fix the situation. Regarding Lin and Tenzin. She was rejected by someone she had grown up with and was the son of a trusted friend of the family. She knew Tenzin for decades and Pema comes in and fucks that shit right up. I'd be pissed too. So I'm not breaking her balls for that grudge, but it also wasn't making her job or Tenzin's job any easier. She couldn't even be professional when she first had to deal with him so her not sucking it up and being professional about it is definitely a knock against her. I'm also finding it weird that so many other people have to put in work to apologize to Lin. She just explodes on people and doesn't think of the consequences. It's like "I'm Lin Bei Fong and I will explode on you and you gotta deal with it."

Yeah you do have a point on that one. It's hard for Lin to reign back her pride and hot headed behavior in order to fix some of the situations she got herself into. A part of that whole thing is 50/50, but she never did try to fix anything. She just lashed out at people, which isn't going to fix the situation. Regarding Lin and Tenzin. She was rejected by someone she had grown up with and was the son of a trusted friend of the family. She knew Tenzin for decades and Pema comes in and fucks that shit right up. I'd be pissed too. So I'm not breaking her balls for that grudge, but it also wasn't making her job or Tenzin's job any easier. She couldn't even be professional when she first had to deal with him so her not sucking it up and being professional about it is definitely a knock against her. I'm also finding it weird that so many other people have to put in work to apologize to Lin. She just explodes on people and doesn't think of the consequences. It's like "I'm Lin Bei Fong and I will explode on you and you gotta deal with it."
I just realized something: Korra is just like her in Spirits. I wonder why they never played up that similarity? Huh, oh well. Also begs the question: when did Lin and Tenzin even break up? When we first meet her, Jinora is what, 12? It had to be when they were both pretty young yet. I think Tenzin and Pema were together for at least a year before Jinora, although I may just be fabricating that.

Daemul

I really dont get this way of thinking. Why do you guys assume Mako is doomed to jerking off forever.

God damn you guys. The Mako ribbing is a joke(most of the time), don't take it so seriously. No one actually believes Mako will end up lonely for the rest of his days, people are just laughing at the fact that Bryke used Mako as a fakeout in order to set up Korrasami.

Everyone thought that Makorra was going to be endgame after that heartfelt speech from Mako, people were shitting themselves. I saw reaction vids where people had their heads in their hands because they couldn't believe what they were seeing. In one reaction vid, someone nearly had a heart attack when that figure popped up behind Korra and Tenzin, because they thought it was Mako, come to seal the deal, but thankfully, it turned out to be Asami. The rest is history.

Looking back, it was top tier trolling from Bryke, they had us all fooled with that loyalty speech, but they really did a disservice to Mako by using him as a bait and switch. He's now become the butt of all jokes and is known(jokingly) all over the internet as the guy who was such a terrible boyfriend that he turned his girlfriends gay.

He honestly would have been better off dying after his badass moment with the spirit vines, that would have been a better and more respectable send off for him. Now he has to hold the biggest L in all of western animation history, because Bryke couldn't help themselves from trolling the fandom one final time.

I just realized something: Korra is just like her in Spirits. I wonder why they never played up that similarity? Huh, oh well. Also begs the question: when did Lin and Tenzin even break up? When we first meet her, Jinora is what, 12? It had to be when they were both pretty young yet. I think Tenzin and Pema were together for at least a year before Jinora, although I may just be fabricating that.
Well pregnancy is a 9 month gestation period, so unless Nick wants to be really mature on that front Jinora has the possibility of being born out of wedlock. I also liken Kuvira to Book 2 Korra. Korra is not the best person when she's running around unchecked without running shit passed a mentor figure. Kuvira didn't exactly have a mentor at that moment of time and then you get plots of eugenics and shit like that. Yeah Book 2 Korra had problems. I'm always going to make fun of her for getting mad at Mako because he didn't want to commit treason for her. That's like death by firing squad shit.

Well pregnancy is a 9 month gestation period, so unless Nick wants to be really mature on that front Jinora has the possibility of being born out of wedlock. I also liken Kuvira to Book 2 Korra. Korra is not the best person when she's running around unchecked without running shit passed a mentor figure. Kuvira didn't exactly have a mentor at that moment of time and then you get plots of eugenics and shit like that. Yeah Book 2 Korra had problems. I'm always going to make fun of her for getting mad at Mako because he didn't want to commit treason for her. That's like death by firing squad shit.
Well, are Tenzin and Pema even married? I don't remember if they say it. Tenzin does refer to her as his wife, though. I think.

The only cultures in this series that appear to actually even have weddings are Fire Nation and Water Tribe. They're the only weddings we see, anyways. I suppose Toph's parents were married, but other than that, does the Air Nation even have any sort of matrimonial ideals? I mean, in ATLA all we see is a female Air Nomad lying pregnant in a bed and a bunch of kids running around. As far as we know, the Nomads had a single brood mother per temple. So, out of wedlock might not mean anything.

ED Cantu

Reflecting on the whole thing I think Mako's ending would've just been better used showing a proper improvement in his life...hell make him Lin's partner...I'd watch that sequel. Mako and Lin driving around Republic City solving crime.

You know, I would have been satisfied if Mako's ending involved something about his work, that would have given it a bit more closure.

Like after his talk with Korra she leaves and Lin comes saying something like "I heard about Wu not becoming King, So you ready to get back to work?" with him answering "I think I'll need a little more time, But I'll be ready" because of his arm, and finally Lin telling him he's been promoted to detective (he still wasn't one right?) with "Ok but you can't take too much time, detective". Something similar would've been good.

Trey

I just realized something: Korra is just like her in Spirits. I wonder why they never played up that similarity?

They kind of did. When Mako broke it off with Korra, Lin made a quip about how she was when she and Tenzin broke up, and that Mako got off easy in comparison.

Matters not. Lin was end to end terrible in Book 2.

You know, I would have been satisfied if Mako's ending involved something about his work, that would have given it a bit more closure.

Like after his talk with Korra she leaves and Lin comes saying something like "I heard about Wu not becoming King, So you ready to get back to work?" with him answering "I think I'll need a little more time, But I'll be ready" because of his arm, and finally Lin telling him he's been promoted to detective (he still wasn't one right?) with "Ok but you can't take too much time, detective". Something similar would've been good.

Definitely. And yes, he was still a beat cop. Unless he was promoted before being assigned to Wu. He hadn't been assigned for the whole 3 years.

Trey said:
They kind of did. When Mako broke it off with Korra, Lin made a quip about how she was when she and Tenzin broke up, and that Mako got off easy in comparison.

Matters not. Lin was end to end terrible in Book 2.
Well yeah I remember that, I just thought they should have gone deeper. Apparently Lin thought she was in the right though, and Korra was busy speeding away on a boat while crying. Lin was honestly the only character during that season that I could not decipher why she was being as much of a bitch as she was. The rest I could figure out, so I was fine and I rationalized it, but Lin? Nope. Couldn't do it. Could not do it.

Yeah the dude had a job that he ended up dropping because Bolin talked him into coming. At least it was Bolin and not Korra that talked him into traveling with them. Lin and Mako really did need some more time with each other, they actually had a pretty good dynamic and Lin was pretty chill with him. She never really chewed the kid out on screen.
Well, are Tenzin and Pema even married? I don't remember if they say it. Tenzin does refer to her as his wife, though. I think.

The only cultures in this series that appear to actually even have weddings are Fire Nation and Water Tribe. They're the only weddings we see, anyways. I suppose Toph's parents were married, but other than that, does the Air Nation even have any sort of matrimonial ideals? I mean, in ATLA all we see is a female Air Nomad lying pregnant in a bed and a bunch of kids running around. As far as we know, the Nomads had a single brood mother per temple. So, out of wedlock might not mean anything.
I would like to think that Tenzin brought in that water tribe part of his genetics, but knowing his rigid ass he's air bender through and through. So that's something I wasn't even thinking of. I would like to think that maybe they were dating during the flashback in Old Wounds, but who knows.

Yeah the dude had a job that he ended up dropping because Bolin talked him into coming. At least it was Bolin and not Korra that talked him into traveling with them. Lin and Mako really did need some more time with each other, they actually had a pretty good dynamic and Lin was pretty chill with him. She never really chewed the kid out on screen.

Spirits gets a lot of shit, but apparently no one remembers it. He gets chewed out a fuckload.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
Lin and Mako really did need some more time with each other, they actually had a pretty good dynamic and Lin was pretty chill with him. She never really chewed the kid out on screen.

Remenber that whole subplot on Book 2 when Mako got chewed out alot by Lin because she kept trusting those 2 obviously corrupt cops over him?

Spirits gets a lot of shit, but apparently no one remembers it. He gets chewed out a fuckload.
I honestly completely forget that shit. I know most of what was said to him was regarding the investigation he was doing in regards to Varrick Industries and his ties to the Civil War, because nobody believed that quirky nut bag was tied to it. Was he chewed out for any other reason?
Lin was honestly the only character during that season that I could not decipher why she was being as much of a bitch as she was. The rest I could figure out, so I was fine and I rationalized it, but Lin? Nope. Couldn't do it. Could not do it.
Lin was a bitch because she's Lin Bei Fong, that's just usually how she operated for the first two seasons. She's either doing that or pulling some noble sacrifice shit.
Remenber that whole subplot on Book 2 when Mako got chewed out alot by Lin because she kept trusting those 2 obviously corrupt cops over him?
Yes I remember and made note of that earlier in my current post. Sometimes I just block certain things out or forget things, but yep I remember those cake eating bastards now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom