• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Korra: Book 4 |OT2| ALL HAIL THE GREAT UNITER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hamlet

I wonder if the super negative reception of Su is a thing through the whole fandom, or is this just a gaf thing?
I'd say there's a fair amount around that don't like her. Also don't forget there was a decent part of the fandom back in Book 3 that theorized that she was part of Red Lotus.

I'm pretty sure that fan comics are responsible for a lot of the Korrasami fandom. Moreso before the finale. Same thing with Kuvira's largely imagined bacstory. The fan versions of these characters are far more compelling than the show versions (especially Godessami).

I don't think we saw any of the Fire Nation, no. Misty Palms Oasis should still be in Earth Kingdom territory though. The United Republic of Nations was mainly coastal, while the Si Wong Desert (where the oasis is) is inland. (I've spent far too much time looking at maps of the Avatar world.)
I think Ming-Hua's prison in Book 3 might have been located in the Fire Nation, but yeah no real good look at the modern Fire Nation unfortunately.

Being a shit parent must be a genetic trait in the Beifong pedigree/lineage or somethin.
Only Beifongs that act sort of right are the men. Bataar was fine enough until he got that Kuvira ego boost. Huan seems like a straight up pacifist. Opal can get really angry. She had a good reason but still. The twins are fine enough but we're more than fine to assassinate Kuvira with Su. Toph couldn't parent to save her life. She's saved by Unalaq and Ozai or she, a good guy from the first show would be the worst parent. Worse than Zuko...Zuko. Dude seemed like a good parent.

Hamlet

Congrats to J. K. Simmons for just wining the Best Supporting Actor Oscar. Totally deserved it for that performance in Whiplash.

tumblr_inline_mvjf7miB8X1s408zu.gif

I don't hate her, but I still find her life absurd. Shit parent to Kuvira, but Kuvira herself is too underdeveloped for me to really care that much over it.
Pretty much.
We should get into a multi page argument over it. ;)
You act like I won't.
Yeah, I don't really disagree with that. Suyin tries to exist in her own bubble, and other people's problems are just theirs to deal with. And while that is a cold mindset to use, it's not entirely without merit. Honestly, we don't really get a big reason for why Suyin didn't want to take control. Maybe she thought it'd corrupt her, or maybe she honestly didn't think she'd be able to do much, or something. I guess I just don't mind her taking that path because even at the most basic level, she isn't wrong. She has no obligation to step in. If that's all the reasoning she has, then it's extremely callous and cold but it's not incorrect. And since she never out and out said why, I always assumed there was more to it.

But I admit I am probably giving the writing more credit than it deserves here.
She states in Book 3 that she finds the Earth Queen's methods and the idea of a monarchy outdated and silly, and thinks the Earth Queen as a tyrant. She believes if she goes in to Ba Sing Se she'll be viewed as a conqueror, and she doesn't want that on her head. Plus, everyone (or so it seems like) knew Raiko was just moving Wu into place as a puppet regime, and she was against the idea of a monarchy, which Wu represented. There's no way she'd support that decision.
I find her conduct to be offensive if only because it's so selfish and even on her own terms and the culture of freedom that she espouses, she is a massive hypocrite. See her employing Aiwei (Earth Kingdom fugitive and more importantly a powerful truth seer) to prevent anyone from ever lying to her within Zoafu, to keep tabs on everyone. Very iron curtain for such a progressive, unless it's partly all a show to placate her own ego.

Aiwei_warns_Suyin.png

The argument can be made that for all the airs Su puts on about freedom and allowing individuals to make their own choices the only difference between Zaofu and a cage is that you can see the bars in one of them. She was content to carefully (subconsciously?) manipulate people around her into being slotted into roles to fulfill her sense of self importance. Remember how she acted when Opal was going to go away, or how Opal was automatically worried about how Su would react? This is because Opals purpose had already been planned for her by the Matriach of Zaofu from almost the moment she had been born.

suyin.jpg

At least with Kuvira you knew if you were in chains.
I feel like you're jumping to conclusions on this. First of all, if you knew Aiwei, a person with a huge and precise radar sense was in your city, what would you do? I'd offer them a fucking job with either me or the police force. On top of that, we have no idea what their relationship is like and what she did with that information. It's not like Aiwei told her every single thing, either. Hell, as far as we know, Aiwei went to her. He was a part of the Red Lotus, and they don't like world leaders, so it's entirely possible he was putting himself into position to take her out. We also don't know what Zaofu's justice/disciplinary system is like.

As for her relationship with Opal, she wanted Opal to stay because she was over-protective. She admitted that. As for Kuvira, she kicked Kuvira out because Kuvira was going to, once again, enforce a policy that she does not believe in nor support. Why would she be okay with her entire police force, a majority of her financial providers, and two of her biggest city engineers. One of those engineers is also her son, so now her adopted daughter and her son are going to enforce a policy that she is directly opposed to. Besides, Kuvira was never forced to do anything. She made her own decisions and took them to an extreme. Su Yin can't be held responsible for that.
I think Ming-Hua's prison in Book 3 might have been located in the Fire Nation, but yeah no real good look at the modern Fire Nation unfortunately.
The only place in the series that we see (active) volcanoes is the Fire Nation, so it's a safe bet.

Jacob

The only place in the series that we see (active) volcanoes is the Fire Nation, so it's a safe bet.

The Fortuneteller. ;)

I do agree that Ming Hua's prison was probably in the Fire Nation though, given the multinational prison guard force and the far-flung locations of the other prisons. I had forgotten about her when I made my earlier post.

Veelk

Banned
She states in Book 3 that she finds the Earth Queen's methods and the idea of a monarchy outdated and silly, and thinks the Earth Queen as a tyrant. She believes if she goes in to Ba Sing Se she'll be viewed as a conqueror, and she doesn't want that on her head. Plus, everyone (or so it seems like) knew Raiko was just moving Wu into place as a puppet regime, and she was against the idea of a monarchy, which Wu represented. There's no way she'd support that decision.

I guess, but she doesn't really say why their outdated. Honestly, it from her dialogue, it just sounded like she wasn't a big fan of the Queen herself. If the monarch was a more reasonable and less corrupt one, like the King from TLA except more competent, then I don't know why she would object to her.

It'd be helpful to know how Zaofu operates. What makes Suyin basically being the ruling body of the city different from her being the queen. Because while she may not name herself the ruler of Zaofu, everyone defers to her, so....

I feel like you're jumping to conclusions on this. First of all, if you knew Aiwei, a person with a huge and precise radar sense was in your city, what would you do? I'd offer them a fucking job with either me or the police force. On top of that, we have no idea what their relationship is like and what she did with that information. It's not like Aiwei told her every single thing, either. Hell, as far as we know, Aiwei went to her. He was a part of the Red Lotus, and they don't like world leaders, so it's entirely possible he was putting himself into position to take her out. We also don't know what Zaofu's justice/disciplinary system is like.

As for her relationship with Opal, she wanted Opal to stay because she was over-protective. She admitted that. As for Kuvira, she kicked Kuvira out because Kuvira was going to, once again, enforce a policy that she does not believe in nor support. Why would she be okay with her entire police force, a majority of her financial providers, and two of her biggest city engineers. One of those engineers is also her son, so now her adopted daughter and her son are going to enforce a policy that she is directly opposed to. Besides, Kuvira was never forced to do anything. She made her own decisions and took them to an extreme. Su Yin can't be held responsible for that.

This is the far more reasonable and obvious interpretation of her character that uses the evidence from the show to create it's case. Therefore, it is clearly false and Suyin is actually plotting to control the entire world while espousing the evils of monarchies. She also has an maniacal laugh she keeps hidden from others and enjoys eating live puppies. And is also a vampire.

The Fortuneteller. ;)

I do agree that Ming Hua's prison was probably in the Fire Nation though, given the multinational prison guard force and the far-flung locations of the other prisons. I had forgotten about her when I made my earlier post.
Well sumbitch. Though, I doubt they kept her in the same volcano as that village. Assuming there was still a village there, it sounds like an awful place to keep a prison for a deadly criminal. On the other hand, if they were isolated and if an incident were to happen, no one would know. The latter is probably a far worse situation.
I guess, but she doesn't really say why their outdated. Honestly, it from her dialogue, it just sounded like she wasn't a big fan of the Queen herself. If the monarch was a more reasonable and less corrupt one, like the King from TLA except more competent, then I don't know why she would object to her.

It'd be helpful to know how Zaofu operates. What makes Suyin basically being the ruling body of the city different from her being the queen. Because while she may not name herself the ruler of Zaofu, everyone defers to her, so.....
It's been a bit and a piece since I watched it, but I recall her specifically saying that queens are outdated or some such. I think she was referring to more than just that specific Queen, but she also did talk some shit about the Queen herself.

I honestly don't know how Zaofu's economy worked, but it didn't sound like they ran on a tax system of any kind. Then again, I'm pretty much just going off of what I feel like at that point, since I have no base for it. I believe she referred to the wealthy members that left with Kuvira as "benefactors," which seems to imply that they provided money to Su and she basically put it towards various aspects of the city where needed. Plus, I think people just defer to Su since she and Bataar built and founded it together, and since Bataar is busy constantly designing the city's architecturem I'm sure Su was really the only left to take up the responsibility of managing the rest of the city. It sounds like the police were left entirely up to Kuvira.

Though I could be entirely wrong about all of this and am just bullshitting.

Yeah.

Probably that.

Hamlet

tumblr_nk67q26iDa1qb4zk7o1_1280.jpg

WOW! Happy 10th Anniversary to AVATAR: THE LAST AIRBENDER!!
(I’m a day late, it was actually yesterday)
Just found this scan of a PENCIL sketch I did waaayyyyyyyy back on season 3, hence the fire nation outfits (2007?) I can’t believe its been 10 years already! I have so many great memories from my time working on this show! :)
Angela Mueller - ATLA Character Designer

I see weak writing has struck again.

*sigh*

They should have sucked it up and done 20 ep stretches for the seasons or cut it down accordingly.

Unless it was actually Nick being assholes behind the scenes and the creators peddling PR so as to not throw them under the fucking bus (also that snafu which resulted in a bog standard recap episode could be seen as that).

Welp, I've just noticed that I've passed Toa in post count and am now 2nd top poster behind Jaded. FML.

FG39BTa.gif
Here's your second place prize.
Microsoft%20Smartphone%204.jpg

Well sumbitch. Though, I doubt they kept her in the same volcano as that village. Assuming there was still a village there, it sounds like an awful place to keep a prison for a deadly criminal. On the other hand, if they were isolated and if an incident were to happen, no one would know. The latter is probably a far worse situation.

It's been a bit and a piece since I watched it, but I recall her specifically saying that queens are outdated or some such. I think she was referring to more than just that specific Queen, but she also did talk some shit about the Queen herself.

I honestly don't know how Zaofu's economy worked, but it didn't sound like they ran on a tax system of any kind. Then again, I'm pretty much just going off of what I feel like at that point, since I have no base for it. I believe she referred to the wealthy members that left with Kuvira as "benefactors," which seems to imply that they provided money to Su and she basically put it towards various aspects of the city where needed. Plus, I think people just defer to Su since she and Bataar built and founded it together, and since Bataar is busy constantly designing the city's architecturem I'm sure Su was really the only left to take up the responsibility of managing the rest of the city. It sounds like the police were left entirely up to Kuvira.

Though I could be entirely wrong about all of this and am just bullshitting.

Yeah.

Probably that.
Nobody asks Bataar Sr. for anything.
10517688_642565272516518_7402882413651966392_n.jpg

In celebration here have some Makorra. It's your favourite ship after all heh.

tumblr_mt3id5h8jy1qe3kfyo1_250.gif
tumblr_mt3id5h8jy1qe3kfyo2_250.gif

I estimate it would have taken... about 20 more scenes like this to redeem this relationship.

It's also yet another testament to how dour this series is that, the moment I saw Korra making a cutesy face, I thought "Did this actually happen? No way, it has to just be good fanart" before doing a quick Google search to confirm.

I estimate it would have taken... about 20 more scenes like this to redeem this relationship.

It's also yet another testament to how dour this series is that, the moment I saw Korra making a cutesy face, I thought "Did this actually happen? No way, it has to just be good fanart" before doing a quick Google search to confirm.

I disagree. No amount of drawn-on-smiles on a shit pile can make it not a shit pile. They were far better off for the break-up of that train wreck. Mako gets an actual purpose that's not love interest and hangs out with Lin. Korra learns that Pema gives shit advice.

Also, wasn't the cutesy face made during the early parts of Season 2 where Parrot Studios or whatever were doing the animations/art in stead of Mir? Pretty sure they were doing Boondocks until the first half of Season 2 was done.

Daemul

Nope, that relationship was doomed to failure at that point, Korra and Mako just do not mix very well.

Yup, that and "just like Korra" and "an avatar" are the others.

She's better than Korra and doesn't need to be an Avatar for that to happen.
Kuvira definitely has a higher IQ than Korra. That "PRNDL" comic posted earlier hit the nail right on the head. Does make you wonder what Korra's and Bolin's kids would be like. They'd be jacked to high hell, but probably not much working upstairs.

Hamlet

I'll disagree with you yet again as Korra is very expressive throughout the series run. You keep on acting as if she's always moody, yet a good portion of Book 3 has her having fun. With Book 4 it's understandable why she's a bit more down after what happened in the Book 3 finale. Yeah showing some more stuff like this would have helped a tad. Still Makorra was pretty toxic for the characters and it helped them a lot especially for Mako in ending it.

k0XwOFt.gif

tumblr_nd20r4Xq0r1rm97k3o1_500.gif

I disagree. No amount of drawn-on-smiles on a shit pile can make it not a shit pile. They were far better off for the break-up of that train wreck. Mako gets an actual purpose that's not love interest and hangs out with Lin. Korra learns that Pema gives shit advice.

Also, wasn't the cutesy face made during the early parts of Season 2 where Parrot Studios or whatever were doing the animations/art in stead of Mir? Pretty sure they were doing Boondocks until the first half of Season 2 was done.

Yep it's from the first episode of Book 2 a Studio Pierrot episode.
For Book 2 Studio Pierrot did episodes 1 - 6 and 9.
Studio Mir did episodes 7, 8, and 10 through 14.

Not just any Makorra. Badly drawn Studio Pierrot Makorra. Ew.

Also, I know everyone's hatin on Su but she's the best metal bender just FYI. Those moves weren't matched by anyone.
Even her mom said that she didn't fully grasp metal bending. Granted that comment was directed at Lin too, but she doesn't strike me as a person that would commit herself 100% to a discipline.

Ha well she did do it to stop P'Li from killing Lin though.
The only good thing Su has ever done it seems like. She saved her superior sister...at least from a narrative standpoint. I still want Lin to kick her ass. If she ever gloats to Lin about beating her then Lin really should just do that choke move Kuvira did.

Main man Tenzin
EWmof.gif

Jadza

Someone needs to do a fan art of Tenzin at the podium in Republic City rubbing his win in Bumi and Kya's faces.

Add a F-U to Korra for giving him a hard time during the earlier seasons.
An extra F-U to Jinora thinks she's all special being able to communicate with spirits while he couldn't.
Then the biggest F-U going to Lin, he never forgave her for destroying his house.

Jadza

Someone needs to do a fan art of Tenzin at the podium in Republic City rubbing his win in Bumi and Kya's faces.

Add a F-U to Korra for giving him a hard time during the earlier seasons.
An extra F-U to Jinora thinks she's all special being able to communicate with spirits while he couldn't.
Then the biggest F-U going to Lin, he never forgave her for destroying his house.
Somebody needs to do a Tenzin doing the JJ laugh from Spiderman at Jinora. Tenzin deserved getting his house fucked up.

Veelk

Banned
Okay guys. I need a break.

tumblr_nk2zlkAqUo1qiuiebo1_540.jpg

Because you see that shit right there? That's my life. And I need to stop it.

It's utterly amazing to me how I can go on for days doing absolutely nothing, knowing full well what I have coming ahead, and do nothing else. And now that I have a test approaching, my mind is just full of interesting topics to discuss. "What is the best game design philosophy" "How can you adapt a non-combative setting into a videogame?" And I never have more of an influx of ideas for story to write than I do when I have something else I should be doing. And I never discover more hobbies I'd like to try.

Neogaf is one of the biggest distractions I have. If I'm not writing a Veelk, I'm writing a normal response. If I'm not doing that, I'm responding to PM's. If I'm not doing that, I'm refreshing every few minutes to see if something interesting has been posted.

So I need a break and am self imposing a ban on myself for....lets say 3 weeks. Ultimately, it's for the best. That said, I'm still open to small chatting. That usually doesn't distract me too much. So I'll ask a mod to ban me in like 9 hours or so. If anyone still wants to keep me in contact and has skype, feel free to PM me about it. I might even be able to participate in the rewatch through that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom