• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Korra: Book 4 |OT2| ALL HAIL THE GREAT UNITER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lethe82

Banned
tumblr_nk1zfrf8wl1r30un1o1_500.jpg

tumblr_nk1zfrf8wl1r30un1o2_500.jpg

tumblr_nk1zfrf8wl1r30un1o3_500.jpg

tumblr_nk1zfrf8wl1r30un1o4_500.jpg

tumblr_nk1zfrf8wl1r30un1o5_500.jpg

tumblr_nk1zfrf8wl1r30un1o6_500.jpg

http://toma2.tumblr.com/post/111534686784/korrasami-comic

I just think they focused too much on Su and her family in the last two seasons.

We've got a whole world to explore. Why not visit the Fire Nation or something?

Toa TAK

Banned
Yeah, airbenders would need temperature regulation as much as waterbenders. It's fucking cold on elevated levels. I wonder if earth benders have some kind of temperature resistance too...
Earthbenders are probably more durable or some shit. I mean, you'd think if you can control an element, you'd probably collect a few natural resistances. It only makes sense to me.
Veelk, I thought you only had passionate arguments about nothing important with me.

What'd I do wrong?
It's not you it's him. He's just going through a rough time. Needs to experiment, y'know?
I wonder if the super negative reception of Su is a thing through the whole fandom, or is this just a gaf thing?
I genuinely like Su as a character, so I dunno. I've had arguments with Jaded about this before. I don't get the immense hate towards her.

Veelk

Banned
I genuinely like Su as a character, so I dunno. I've had arguments with Jaded about this before. I don't get the immense hate towards her.

I don't hate her, but I still find her life absurd. Shit parent to Kuvira, but Kuvira herself is too underdeveloped for me to really care that much over it.

Lethe82

Banned

We should get into a multi page argument over it. ;)

I just think they focused too much on Su and her family in the last two seasons.

We've got a whole world to explore. Why not visit the Fire Nation or something?

Gotta save something for the comics!

0.jpg

Though to be serious we did see a relatively small part of the Fire Nation (not nearly enough I know).

Misty Palms Oasis

nYtmDe3.png

EDIT: Oh wait I'm stupid, wasn't it a part of the Earth Kingdom in TLA? It's probably a part of Republic territory now. My Avatar geography is all rusty.

I guess we never saw any of the Fire Nation, did we?

I don't hate her, but I still find her life absurd. Shit parent to Kuvira, but Kuvira herself is too underdeveloped for me to really care that much over it.
She fails to see how her actions effect other people. Even in her more advanced age she hasn't grasped that shit yet. Kuvira ended up being a more mentally mature person than Su. She realized that people would've died if the whole place was left in anarchy, Su didn't give a shit as long as the anarchy didn't effect her.

Daemul

She fails to see how her actions effect other people. Even in her more advanced age she hasn't grasped that shit yet. Kuvira ended up being a more mentally mature person than Su. She realized that people would've died if the whole place was left in anarchy, Su didn't give a shit as long as the anarchy didn't effect her.

Yep. Su is at fault for all the shit that went on in book 4, her refusal to step in and help the Earth Kingdom was the reason for Kuvira's rise to power, and even after many stupid stunts, like her attempted assassination of Kuvira, she still got to walk away without anyone calling her out on her bullshit or putting her blame rightfully at her feet.

Seriously, fuck Su.

Hmm, I kinda feel sorry for the people of the former Earth Kingdom or whatever lands it held. They lost a central hub for trade that's situated nearest to the Water Tribes and Fire Nation after the hundred years war. Then they lost Kuvira, who advocates modernization and unity. It's very easy to make Kuvira as the better between her and Su. When Kuvira left Zaofu with most of the guard and educated.

They weren't tamed by her wild charms [at first~], they followed her because they believed what they were doing was right. To bring peace, order, and aid to their fellow countrymen. Also some might have felt they were caged birds/decorations in Zaofu, which were one of the few things Bataar and Kuvira had in common. Nothing like hate that can bring people together.

Jacob

It's almost like people want to see the main characters having fun. Weird.

I'm pretty sure that fan comics are responsible for a lot of the Korrasami fandom. Moreso before the finale. Same thing with Kuvira's largely imagined bacstory. The fan versions of these characters are far more compelling than the show versions (especially Godessami).

EDIT: Oh wait I'm stupid, wasn't it a part of the Earth Kingdom in TLA? It's probably a part of Republic territory now. My Avatar geography is all rusty.

I guess we never saw any of the Fire Nation, did we?

I don't think we saw any of the Fire Nation, no. Misty Palms Oasis should still be in Earth Kingdom territory though. The United Republic of Nations was mainly coastal, while the Si Wong Desert (where the oasis is) is inland. (I've spent far too much time looking at maps of the Avatar world.)

Toa TAK

Banned
I'm pretty sure that fan comics are responsible for a lot of the Korrasami fandom. Moreso before the finale. Same thing with Kuvira's largely imagined bacstory. The fan versions of these characters are far more compelling than the show versions (especially Godessami).

Stuff like this is why GOOD fanfiction is important.

Veelk

Banned

Yeah, I don't really disagree with that. Suyin tries to exist in her own bubble, and other people's problems are just theirs to deal with. And while that is a cold mindset to use, it's not entirely without merit. Honestly, we don't really get a big reason for why Suyin didn't want to take control. Maybe she thought it'd corrupt her, or maybe she honestly didn't think she'd be able to do much, or something. I guess I just don't mind her taking that path because even at the most basic level, she isn't wrong. She has no obligation to step in. If that's all the reasoning she has, then it's extremely callous and cold but it's not incorrect. And since she never out and out said why, I always assumed there was more to it.

But I admit I am probably giving the writing more credit than it deserves here.

Jacob

Stuff like this is why GOOD fanfiction is important.

I like fan fiction, but most of the time even the really good stuff is just window dressing on the fan experience for me. With Korra it altered the way I thought about the characters. Though if Korra had been any other show rather than the sequel to Avatar my impatience for the characters would have led me to stop watching during Book 2.

Trey

There are very few things about LoK that couldn't better. I can think about pretty much any character and come up with at least a few ways they could be improved. Every plot point either outstays its welcome or manages to undermine its own theme.

The animation and soundtrack are clearly top flight and manage to impress me still, despite how familiar I am with them. But the rest...it's frustrating because there are so many avenues where I can see this show truly shining. Despite having no shortage of potential, there's only about two stretches throughout the entire run where I felt things were mostly firing on all cylinders. Compare that with AtLA, which rounded into form around halfway through Water, and was a mad dash the rest of the way before tripping over the finish line.

Still love it, though. just vexes me a bit that I got a good show instead of a masterpiece.

Yeah, I don't really disagree with that. Suyin tries to exist in her own bubble, and other people's problems are just theirs to deal with. And while that is a cold mindset to use, it's not entirely without merit. Honestly, we don't really get a big reason for why Suyin didn't want to take control. Maybe she thought it'd corrupt her, or maybe she honestly didn't think she'd be able to do much, or something. I guess I just don't mind her taking that path because even at the most basic level, she isn't wrong. She has no obligation to step in. If that's all the reasoning she has, then it's extremely callous and cold but it's not incorrect. And since she never out and out said why, I always assumed there was more to it.

But I admit I am probably giving the writing more credit than it deserves here.
Her stepping in out of the goodness of her heart would've been out of character for her. Su doesn't really do anything unless it benefits Su or her family in some regard. That's pretty much what I get from her character. She helped Korra in season 3 because she wanted to get Aiwei back, didn't really care how it would effect her relationship with Lin. Helped with the final battle because Opal was captured, nothing in her mind was at risk in book 4 so she did nothing. "I got mine, so fuck you people," is pretty much Su summed up in a catch phrase. That's my interpretation of her.

Can anyone truly blame Kuvira for her actions after being saddled with Su her whole life?

Su is weird

Edit: Oh seems there's a big discussion about her going on. I only read your comment and just skimmed some of the rest because it's a lot to catch up on.... I like Su a lot but she was definitely written to be a flawed character.

Veelk

Banned
Her stepping in out of the goodness of her heart would've been out of character for her. Su doesn't really do anything unless it benefits Su or her family in some regard. That's pretty much what I get from her character. She helped Korra in season 3 because she wanted to get Aiwei back, didn't really care how it would effect her relationship with Su. Helped with the final battle because Opal was captured, nothing in her mind was at risk in book 4 so she did nothing. "I got mine, so fuck you people," is pretty much Su summed up in a catch phrase. That's my interpretation of her.

Yeah, again, I don't disagree...I guess I just don't get as offended by it for whatever reason. Asking her to run a country for a few years is not like asking someone to dogsit your pet. It's a big commitment, so her pulling the 'not my problem' card is cold and callous and selfish, but it is within her right to refuse this.

Yeah, again, I don't disagree...I guess I just don't get as offended by it for whatever reason. Asking her to run a country for a few years is not like asking someone to dogsit your pet. It's a big commitment, so her pulling the 'not my problem' card is cold and callous and selfish, but it is within her right to refuse this.
This kind of sums up how Seinfeld and his crew landed in jail. Granted they get caught up on a bullshit law, but they landed a prison stretch by doing nothing.

This is true. However, her eagerness to criticize the person who did step in to fill that role is what makes it annoying.

The moment that Su perceived Kuvira's interest in the position is the moment her self-serving side should've kicked into gear. It would have made sense for Su to take on the task of restoring stability to prevent her power-hungry protege from doing exactly what she suspected she'd do.

As for Kuvira and Baatar, I'm sure that she did genuinely love him at first, but Kuvira's mentality was that of a dictator. How many historical monarchs and despots have been known for maintaining healthy, long-term relationships?

There's an innumerable amount of people who genuinely love their spouses in this world. Many of those same people would kill their loved ones in cold blood if you promised them ownership of all of Asia.

This is true. However, her eagerness to criticize the person who did step in to fill that role is what makes it annoying.

The moment that Su perceived Kuvira's interest in the position is the moment her self-serving side should've kicked into gear. It would have made sense for Su to take on the task of restoring stability to prevent her power-hungry protege from doing exactly what she suspected she'd do.

As for Kuvira and Baatar, I'm sure that she did genuinely love him at first, but Kuvira's mentality was that of a dictator. How many historical monarchs and despots have been known for maintaining healthy, long-term relationships?

There's an innumerable amount of people who genuinely love their spouses in this world. Many of those same people would kill their loved ones in cold blood if you promised them ownership of all of Asia.
Bataar Jr is Eva Braun, but luckier and Kuvira was way less whacked out than Chairman Mao and Hitler.

Lethe82

Banned

I find her conduct to be offensive if only because it's so selfish and even on her own terms and the culture of freedom that she espouses, she is a massive hypocrite. See her employing Aiwei (Earth Kingdom fugitive and more importantly a powerful truth seer) to prevent anyone from ever lying to her within Zoafu, to keep tabs on everyone. Very iron curtain for such a progressive, unless it's partly all a show to placate her own ego.

Aiwei_warns_Suyin.png

The argument can be made that for all the airs Su puts on about freedom and allowing individuals to make their own choices the only difference between Zaofu and a cage is that you can see the bars in one of them. She was content to carefully (subconsciously?) manipulate people around her into being slotted into roles to fulfill her sense of self importance. Remember how she acted when Opal was going to go away, or how Opal was automatically worried about how Su would react? This is because Opals purpose had already been planned for her by the Matriach of Zaofu from almost the moment she had been born.

suyin.jpg

At least with Kuvira you knew if you were in chains.

I find her conduct to be offensive if only because it's so selfish and even on her own terms and the culture of freedom that she espouses, she is a massive hypocrite. See her employing Aiwei (Earth Kingdom fugitive and more importantly a powerful truth seer) to prevent anyone from ever lying to her within Zoafu, to keep tabs on everyone. Very iron curtain for such a progressive, unless it's partly all a show to placate her own ego.

Aiwei_warns_Suyin.png

The argument can be made that for all the airs Su puts on about freedom and allowing individuals to make their own choices, the only difference between Zaofu and a cage is that you can see the bars in one of them. She was content to carefully (subconsciously?) manipulate people around her into being slotted into roles to fulfill her sense of self importance. Remember how she acted when Opal was going to go away, or how Opal was worried that Su would be angry and not let her go? This is because Opals purpose had already been planned for her by the Matriach of Zaofu from almost the moment she had been born.

Kuvira kept it simple. Don't fuck with her. With Su just trying to be your own person equaled fucking with her. She just tried to plan out your life for you. Some people were fine with it and I think the others just left with Kuvira.

Daemul

Aiwei_warns_Suyin.png

The argument can be made that for all the airs Su puts on about freedom and allowing individuals to make their own choices the only difference between Zaofu and a cage is that you can see the bars in one of them. She was content to carefully (subconsciously?) manipulate people around her into being slotted into roles to fulfill her sense of self importance. Remember how she acted when Opal was going to go away, or how Opal was automatically worried about how Su would react? This is because Opals purpose had already been planned for her by the Matriach of Zaofu from almost the moment she had been born.

suyin.jpg

slow-clap-gif.gif

I love how Su acts like she's that much different from Kuvira. A lot of what kuvira does she probably learned from Su during one of her rants against the earth queen. Su just doesn't want to admit that she had a hand in creating Kuvira. Kuvira's not even a monster, just a byproduct of shit ass parenting. Just like you guessed it, Suyin fucking Beifong.

I love how Su acts like she's that much different from Kuvira. A lot of what kuvira does she probably learned from Su during one of her rants against the earth queen. Su just doesn't want to admit that she had a hand in creating Kuvira. Kuvira's not even a monster, just a byproduct of shit ass parenting. Just like you guessed it, Suyin fucking Beifong.

Being a shit parent must be a genetic trait in the Beifong pedigree/lineage or somethin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom