• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Korra: Book 4 |OT2| ALL HAIL THE GREAT UNITER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veelk

Banned
You'll be back earlier than you think, but good luck on the school work.

I won't be able to, since I'll be banned for that time, so with no way to contact the mods...

But as I said, it doesn't necessarily mean you have to see the last of me. I just need fewer distractions in my life right now.

I won't be able to, since I'll be banned for that time, so with no way to contact the mods...

But as I said, it doesn't necessarily mean you have to see the last of me. I just need fewer distractions in my life right now.
Oh good luck then. I'll miss your Godzilla rampage like debates.

Daemul

Okay guys. I need a break.

tumblr_nk2zlkAqUo1qiuiebo1_540.jpg

Because you see that shit right there? That's my life. And I need to stop it.

It's utterly amazing to me how I can go on for days doing absolutely nothing, knowing full well what I have coming ahead, and do nothing else. And now that I have a test approaching, my mind is just full of interesting topics to discuss. "What is the best game design philosophy" "How can you adapt a non-combative setting into a videogame?" And I never have more of an influx of ideas for story to write than I do when I have something else I should be doing. And I never discover more hobbies I'd like to try.

Neogaf is one of the biggest distractions I have. If I'm not writing a Veelk, I'm writing a normal response. If I'm not doing that, I'm responding to PM's. If I'm not doing that, I'm refreshing every few minutes to see if something interesting has been posted.

So I need a break and am self imposing a ban on myself for....lets say 3 weeks. Ultimately, it's for the best. That said, I'm still open to small chatting. That usually doesn't distract me too much. So I'll ask a mod to ban me in like 9 hours or so. If anyone still wants to keep me in contact and has skype, feel free to PM me about it. I might even be able to participate in the rewatch through that.

OK, see you tomorrow!!!

:p

Nah, I'm joking, good luck with your test man.

Toph couldn't parent to save her life. She's saved by Unalaq and Ozai or she, a good guy from the first show would be the worst parent. Worse than Zuko...Zuko. Dude seemed like a good parent.

I actually really like this about Toph, the writers deserve some credit for not going the fairy tale route with her.

In addition to being a half-assed parent, she also seems to have been a half-assed lover, judging from the fact that neither of her baby-daddies stuck around. For all we know, she screwed Sokka, got bored with him, screwed Kantou, had Lin, cheated on Kantou with Su's dad, Kantou and Su's dad both end up leaving and she's stuck with two angsty kids.

Seeing a female character who sucks in the traditional roles of mother and wife is badass in a twisted kind of way. It's a very ballsy move from a writing standpoint.

Toa TAK

Banned

It's utterly amazing to me how I can go on for days doing absolutely nothing, knowing full well what I have coming ahead, and do nothing else. And now that I have a test approaching, my mind is just full of interesting topics to discuss. "What is the best game design philosophy" "How can you adapt a non-combative setting into a videogame?" And I never have more of an influx of ideas for story to write than I do when I have something else I should be doing. And I never discover more hobbies I'd like to try.

Neogaf is one of the biggest distractions I have. If I'm not writing a Veelk, I'm writing a normal response. If I'm not doing that, I'm responding to PM's. If I'm not doing that, I'm refreshing every few minutes to see if something interesting has been posted.

So I need a break and am self imposing a ban on myself for....lets say 3 weeks. Ultimately, it's for the best. That said, I'm still open to small chatting. That usually doesn't distract me too much. So I'll ask a mod to ban me in like 9 hours or so. If anyone still wants to keep me in contact and has skype, feel free to PM me about it. I might even be able to participate in the rewatch through that.
Nooooooooo

Good luck with the test. May Kuvira be with you.

I actually really like this about Toph, the writers deserve some credit for not going the fairy tale route with her.

In addition to being a half-assed parent, she also seems to have been a half-assed lover, judging from the fact that neither of her baby-daddies stuck around. For all we know, she screwed Sokka, got bored with him, screwed Kantou, had Lin, cheated on Kantou with Su's dad, Kantou and Su's dad both end up leaving and she's stuck with two angsty kids.

Seeing a female character who sucks in the traditional roles of mother and wife is badass in a twisted kind of way. It's a very ballsy move from a writing standpoint.
Ballsy yes but she still fucked up her damn kids, I'm not applauding that. I like Toph in ATLA favorite character...along with Zuko, but I'm a bit salty on her in Korra though. She never really tried to understand any of them...well she made peace with Su, but Lin's always been a much different person compared to her sister. She never really tried to understand how Lin felt about anything till Lin threatened to cut her out of her life, so she wasn't even that aware of how her own kids felt. Her approach to parenting seemed to just be, "Yeah? well deal with it" and it didn't work. She created two very successful, but very maladjusted kids in their own right. You also assume that Toph got bored with whomever she was dating...shacking up with or whatever, but there's also the possibility that they couldn't deal with her abrasive as fuck personality and opted to not be with her for too long. Only person that could deal with her is Sokka and I'll admit that's true. Whether that happened nobody knows, if it did, Suki killed his ass for it.

Aren't these the same thing? :p

Seriously though good luck on your endevours and remember ATLA/KorraGAF will be here when you return

Veelk

Banned
Of all the TLA crew, I suppose Toph would be the most likely to not be a good parent. She'd be someone to have good drink with, a fun time, and that's definitely part of parenting, but her sink or swim methods of teaching could cause problems in development.

You know, as much shit as we give LoK over the portrayal of TLA characters, it's a tough line to walk. You can't expect the characterizations of when they were 13 years old to hold up. I know girls who've ruined their lives by getting pregnant too early that were straight A and responsible students in their early years. I was a complete fuck up before I got my shit together. The people who we were 5 years ago would be complete strangers to many of us right now, let alone seeing decades in between.

But it doesn't work like that in a story. If we see a character, then he goes away for a long time, then we see him again, we expect him to remain largely the same unless we later learn of some event that shifted it. In reality, people don't grow up that way. There are reasons, sure, but they can be thousand of tiny things or nothing at all, so we can rarely point and say "Yes, THAT was the exact moment I became who I am today." It's an ever evolving process.

So I don't know if I buy Toph's lifestyle. She started off solitary, but I think she had learned the value of family in her travels with the Gaang. It was a theme of many of her episodes. I'd have thought that she'd...you know, grow up and have a more nuanced view of parenting. Or maybe not, the opposite is a possibility. But it's like deciding you should go on facebook and look up your old best friend from elementary school, only to find he's a cocaine addict (actually happened to me). Yeah, it's possible, no reason it wouldn't be, but it's disappointing.

Of all the TLA crew, I suppose Toph would be the most likely to not be a good parent. She'd be someone to have good drink with, a fun time, and that's definitely part of parenting, but her sink or swim methods of teaching could cause problems in development.

You know, as much shit as we give LoK over the portrayal of TLA characters, it's a tough line to walk. You can't expect the characterizations of when they were 13 years old to hold up. I know girls who've ruined their lives by getting pregnant too early that were straight A and responsible students in their early years. I was a complete fuck up before I got my shit together. The people who we were 5 years ago would be complete strangers to many of us right now, let alone seeing decades in between.

But it doesn't work like that in a story. If we see a character, then he goes away for a long time, then we see him again, we expect him to remain largely the same unless we later learn of some event that shifted it. In reality, people don't grow up that way. There are reasons, sure, but they can be thousand of tiny things or nothing at all, so we can rarely point and say "Yes, THAT was the exact moment I became who I am today." It's an ever evolving process.

So I don't know if I buy Toph's lifestyle. She started off solitary, but I think she had learned the value of family in her travels with the Gaang. It was a theme of many of her episodes. I'd have thought that she'd...you know, grow up and have a more nuanced view of parenting. Or maybe not, the opposite is a possibility. But it's like deciding you should go on facebook and look up your old best friend from elementary school, only to find he's a cocaine addict (actually happened to me). Yeah, it's possible, no reason it wouldn't be, but it's disappointing.
She decided to be a hermit in the swamp instead of trying to have an actual role in her kids and fucking grand kids lives. She missed out on the entire development years of Opal's life for example. I have a grand dad like that...we treat him like he doesn't exist. You don't reward or tolerate that kind of behavior from a blood relative of that close proximity. She pops up like, "It's gramma Toph" and she was all friendly with her. Actual response should've been, "The fuck you been?" Maybe it's too personal of an opinion on my side, but the acceptance of Toph's reluctance to have a role in the lives of her family irks me a bit. They exist because of her, but she doesn't seem to care much to try. Yeah sure she watches them through the vines, but that's not parenting, that's the fucking Truman Show.

Veelk

Banned
She decided to be a hermit in the swamp instead of trying to have an actual role in her kids and fucking grand kids lives. She missed out on the entire development years of Opal's life for example. I have a grand dad like that...we treat him like he doesn't exist. You don't reward or tolerate that kind of behavior from a blood relative of that close proximity. She pops up like, "It's gramma Toph" and she was all friendly with her. Actual response should've been, "The fuck you been?"

You want to know what I find weird? Japanese Shonen parenting. This is a recurring trope I see.

Goku is barely there as a father for Gohan, but rarely is this commented on by the cast. Sasuke spent the ENTIRE FUCKING SERIES bitching about how he had no parents. What does he do when he has a kid with Sakura? Goes on a journey to discover himself or soemthing. I don't remember how much Ichigo's dad was involved, but even though he is a soul reaper and knows Ichigo is a soul reaper, he doesn't think to check in on his son routinely fighting monsters that can kill him at any moment.

And Gon and his dad from Hunter X Hunter are interesting examples. Because his dad actually DID get called out by Leorio for not being their for his son, but Gon doesn't really care, and his dad seemed to know "yeah, he's my son, he'll understand my adventures are more important than me raising him. He'll be fine."

Their deliberate lack of involvement is just sort of an accepted thing. Even admirable in certain cases. I don't get it.

You want to know what I find weird? Japanese Shonen parenting. This is a recurring trope I see.

Goku is barely there as a father for Gohan, but rarely is this commented on by the cast. Sasuke spent the ENTIRE FUCKING SERIES bitching about how he had no parents. What does he do when he has a kid with Sakura? Goes on a journey to discover himself or soemthing. I don't remember how much Ichigo's dad was involved, but even though he is a soul reaper and knows Ichigo is a soul reaper, he doesn't think to check in on his son routinely fighting monsters that can kill him at any moment.

And Gon and his dad from Hunter X Hunter are interesting examples. Because his dad actually DID get called out by Leorio for not being their for his son, but Gon doesn't really care, and his dad seemed to know "yeah, he's my son, he'll understand my adventures are more important than me raising him. He'll be fine."

Their deliberate lack of involvement is just sort of an accepted thing. Even admirable in certain cases. I don't get it.
At least Toph is a better mom than Yusuke's Mom...

Veelk

Banned
At least Toph is a better mom than Yusuke's Mom...

Yeah, but atleast they acknowledged that was part of the reason for Yusuke's severe maladjustment. I don't mind deadbeat parents as narrative characters, I'm just baffled when they're unironically played as positive examples of parenting.

You also assume that Toph got bored with whomever she was dating...shacking up with or whatever, but there's also the possibility that they couldn't deal with her abrasive as fuck personality and opted to not be with her for too long.

Maybe it's too personal of an opinion on my side, but the acceptance of Toph's reluctance to have a role in the lives of her family irks me a bit.

I think these two points actually fit quite well together. We assume that Toph isolated herself because that's how she tells the story, but she's had (at least) two lovers leave her and two daughters that had serious beef with her.

A really depressing, but very believable perspective is to see her isolation as self-imposed penitence. We never see it ourselves, but maybe some self-loathing started to creep in after the rejections began to pile up, especially after seeing how well her friends ended up in terms of family-building. Even when she tried to put her family first, such as when she bailed Su out after Lin arrested her, the end result only pushed both of her daughters further away. I can see why she'd bail on everything and everyone after that.

Toph might have figured that it was better to leave civilization altogether than risk the possibility of being rejected by her (hypothetical, at the time) grandchildren, something that her past experiences would tell her was inevitable.

Isshin cares for Ichigo, and even trained him and fought along side him during the Aizen saga. He's probably the best shonen dad I can think of, since I always took him not routinely checking up on Ichigo to basically trusting in Ichigo's strength and capabilities.

Also, fuck Ging. Worst father ever.

Still can't deny Suyin had some pretty impressive metalbending feats shown on screeen.
V19LzLY.gif

tumblr_ng4o8xUpYE1scb8moo1_500.gif

This is what I meant.

I like Lin too and I felt like she was served an injustice in not only the plot but also her place in the narrative, which was sidelined in favor of Su and her family.

But damn I cannot deny those moves. Her prowess.

Veelk

Banned
Isshin cares for Ichigo, and even trained him and fought along side him during the Aizen saga. He's probably the best shonen dad I can think of, since I always took him not routinely checking up on Ichigo to basically trusting in Ichigo's strength and capabilities.

Also, fuck Ging. Worst father ever.

I feel like parenting is only good or bad as it pretains to the kid in question. There is no one set law, and children can be very unique. Ging turned out to be right: Gon honestly doesn't care that Ging ditched him for all of his childhood. But how the fuck would Ging have known that?

I think these two points actually fit quite well together. We assume that Toph isolated herself because that's how she tells the story, but she's had (at least) two lovers leave her and two daughters that had serious beef with her.

A really depressing, but very believable perspective is to see her isolation as self-imposed penitence. We never see it ourselves, but maybe some self-loathing started to creep in after the rejections began to pile up, especially after seeing how well her friends ended up in terms of family-building. Even when she tried to put her family first, such as when she bailed Su out after Lin arrested her, the end result only pushed both of her daughters further away. I can see why she'd bail on everything and everyone after that.

Toph might have figured that it was better to leave civilization altogether than risk the possibility of being rejected by her (hypothetical, at the time) grandchildren, something that her past experiences would tell her was inevitable.
I would've preferred if somebody say asked her how old Opal even was. Her grandkids are completely different from the last time they saw her and nobody Brings it up.

I feel like parenting is only good or bad as it pretains to the kid in question. There is no one set law, and children can be very unique. Ging turned out to be right: Gon honestly doesn't care that Ging ditched him for all of his childhood. But how the fuck would Ging have known that?

Because he's apparently very good at reading people (if him trolling Pariston is any indication) and a part of him is in Gon so he more likely went with that side (same reason why he didn't check up on him because he believed Gon wouldn't die).

it sucks that he massively downplayed that Leorio punch though since that was a nice moment.

Because he's apparently very good at reading people (if him trolling Pariston is any indication) and a part of him is in Gon so he more likely went with that side (same reason why he didn't check up on him because he believed Gon wouldn't die).

it sucks that he massively downplayed that Leorio punch though since that was a nice moment.
He believed Gon would turn out like his old man. Gon did.

360pages

Goku is hilariously inept at his parenting. The only time this is brought up is during the Cell Saga. But at least it's brought up...

Goku is hilariously inept at his parenting. The only time this is brought up is during the Cell Saga. But at least it's brought up...
Yeah Goku is a horrible father, yet he's adored and loved in Japan. Probably says a lot about the parenting skills of Japanese dads. Granted at least Gendo Ikari is universally hated.

360pages

Well, that's the thing with both Toph and Goku. They are fine people, but it was obvious that neither were built to have any sort of life time responsibility

So I decided to upload that "google Kuvira" thing to tumblr, and my phone keeps going off due to people liking it and retweeting... I would cut notifications off but I like the attention it's getting lmao!

Veelk

Banned
Yeah Goku is a horrible father, yet he's adored and loved in Japan. Probably says a lot about the parenting skills of Japanese dads. Granted at least Gendo Ikari is universally hated.

I'd be careful to make that generalization. Stories always reflect something true to the person writing and the culture reading, but it's rarely a 1:1 match. Just because this kind of action is popular doesn't necessarily mean it's approved, anymore than just because americans like violent films means they're a bunch of sociopaths. But it is worth asking why this kind of parenting is made and viewed the way it is.

And while we're at it, wtf is up with them and lolis.

To be fair, there are just as many stories where the parents are assumed to be present, but aren't shown or discussed at all. How many dozens of comics, cartoons and manga can you think of that star a cast of eternally unsupervised 10-16-year-olds?

It comes from the idea that parent-child relationships are only interesting if they're somewhat adversarial (even if that feeling is one-sided). Otherwise, parents would just get in the way of the conflicts and drama that the kids themselves are supposed to solve.

Daemul

He's such a nice guy but he's a terrible father. Chi chi may have a reputation of being hard to deal with, moody and easily driven to anger, but damn, after having to literally raise her sons by herself due to Goku never being around, I don't blame her for being the way she is.

I'd be careful to make that generalization. Stories always reflect something true to the person writing and the culture reading, but it's rarely a 1:1 match. Just because this kind of action is popular doesn't necessarily mean it's approved, anymore than just because americans like violent films means they're a bunch of sociopaths. But it is worth asking why this kind of parenting is made and viewed the way it is.

And while we're at it, wtf is up with them and lolis.
Yeah I know it's a bit of a fucked up generalization but the culture seems to be revolving around your dad, both parents actually now working 15-18 hours a day so sometimes you do wonder how much time the kids spend with their parents. And when it comes to the ones living here I've heard a good amount of stories that make it seem like Asian parents in general just push their kids too hard. I know it's not a rule and I'm not even trying to say Asian parents are abject shit or anything but it just seems like the authors use their stories to vent about certain aspects of their upbringing.
To be fair, there are just as many stories where the parents are assumed to be present, but aren't shown or discussed at all. How many dozens of comics, cartoons and manga can you think of that star a cast of eternally unsupervised 10-16-year-olds?

It comes from the idea that parent-child relationships are only interesting if they're somewhat adversarial (even if that feeling is one-sided). Otherwise, parents would just get in the way of the conflicts and drama that the kids themselves are supposed to solve.
Dude go watch some Gundam shows. If your parents aren't dead they're usually shot heels.

So.... Jaded you were right, I do like Ukyo. Even though she is bent on being with Ranma like Kodachi and Shampoo... she is relatively sane, and she can cook.

Kinvara

Never got the impression that Aang was a bad father. He just felt obligated to teach Tenzin all there was about Air Nomad culture because he was literally the Last Airbender.

Of course, Bumi and Kya were jealous of the attention Tenzin got and that was obviously a source of sibling rivalry but that doesn't mean Aang hated them or that he was a bad parent.

Everyone is into this Ranma it seems.
Ranma's IQ is every bit as low as Korra's. If you watch it you can sort of draw parallels to the Korra characters.
Never got the impression that Aang was a bad father. He just felt obligated to teach Tenzin all there was about Air Nomad culture because he was literally the Last Airbender.

Of course, Bumi and Kya were jealous of the attention Tenzin got and that was obviously a source of sibling rivalry but that doesn't mean Aang hated them or that he was a bad parent.
Aang was a better parent than Toph. His excuse for not watching his kids grow up is the fact that he's dead. Toph was just being Toph.

Moveset

side punch
up punch
down punch

charged side punch
charged up punch
charged down punch

air up punch
air down punch
air side punch

smash
P U N C H

CDiggity

Please....Avatarverse ain't vidya, they can't be in the vidya franchise.

Now, a similar game with an Avatar motif I could get behind. And I shall laugh when development balancing somehow makes Meelo the best character in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom