• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Korra: Book 4 |OT2| ALL HAIL THE GREAT UNITER

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finished the Big O...it made a lot more sense to me this time. Wish they had made another season, but I think the ending works at the same time.

The ending is most certainly a definitive ending. Like, it'd be really hard to write out of that without completely destroying the series. It's one of those series that you can't really get on your first watch through. It takes multiple. Which reminds me, I need to watch it again.

Toa TAK

Banned
tumblr_nln925VPmh1qcsd3co1_500.gif

The ending is most certainly a definitive ending. Like, it'd be really hard to write out of that without completely destroying the series. It's one of those series that you can't really get on your first watch through. It takes multiple. Which reminds me, I need to watch it again.

Someone uploaded them all to Youtube in HD...maybe from the blu ray. Apparently no one gives a fuck about Big O because they've been there for months lol.

I remember thinking that the ending was disappointing all those years ago. But now I think it was fine. If not great. I like that it's not overly explicit and leaves a lot to interpretation. The whole show is kind of like that. So many people have their theories of what happened at the end and they're all great. What an awesome show.

Spoiler
Was Angel Lucifer or something? Big Venus, aka the morning star, or a fallen angel. And the control room on floor B666. Plus all these allusions to Biblical concepts like the Beast, Leviathan, etc. Heavens day. Even the crosses all over the place.

Man, the show is good. Makes you think a lot. And I love the mystery.

Was Angel Lucifer or something? Big Venus, aka the morning star, or a fallen angel. And the control room on floor B666. Plus all these allusions to Biblical concepts like the Beast, Leviathan, etc. Heavens day. Even the crosses all over the place.

You could interpret it that way. There's a lot of religious imagery over all. The term "Megadeus" is basically "Giant God" or something on that level. Too lazy to look it up. Honestly though, I can't even recall how I interpreted that ending the first time. In one way, it could be interpreted that it's Angel's own personal reality that she inserts herself into, and when shit gets too close to breaking the wall, she reboots it using Big Venus. Part of the reason the religious iconography was used, from my perspective, is because these characters are ultimately living in a world that they have no control over. These giant monsters run amok, to and fro, and humans can do nothing to stop them.

I mean, look at how useless the fucking police are. Seriously, the police captain is literally a garbage tier Jim Gordon (which is saying a lot because Jim Gordon is a goddamned manimal).

There's also the philosophy of how memories affect us, in the sense that no matter how many times your memories get erased and rearranged, that there is still a part of you in there. That was my final takeaway from that storyline.

It's all quite interesting. Though, I think the biggest bummer was that the dialogue got way to repetitive (take a shot every time the word "Memories" is used). It makes trying to interpret the message really rough.

Hamlet

Tumblr's going to have a field day with that one. Don't they already ship those two random air bending women from the third season? Lol nobody gives two fucks for Booster Gold.

Yeah some people were shipping a couple of background airbenders back in Book 3. Then again there's pretty much a ship for everything.

Still mad that Korra never talked to Wan...

Well technically she did in Beginnings Part 1 otherwise she wouldn't know his name ha, but yeah no real long discussion sadly. Dammit Unalaq :(

I'm only waiting for when we find out the former Earth Kingdom states descended into chaos and twitter is going to be flooded with #KuviraWasRight hashtags
But she really was for the most part.
Much better Hamlet.

I was telling all of you from the very beginning she was in the right. She was the Ultimate Mother Figure, guiding her nation to power and RESPECT.
Kuvira was perfectly fine till they gave her a god damn Nazi cannon, she didn't need that shit.
Bryke: "We have the perfect opportunity to do a character that's not the hero, but still in the right. But she's missing something, I don't know what? Let's give her a Nazi rail cannon and have her lock up non earth benders just cause. Brilliant idea!"

Dora was cool, though.
Nazi rail canon does nobody any favors. I had posted that I wouldn't be shocked about Kuvira getting that thing the week before they unveiled it. Thank God Operation Beifong was one of the best in the season. Once she was fighting Su I was rooting for Kuvira.

You could interpret it that way. There's a lot of religious imagery over all. The term "Megadeus" is basically "Giant God" or something on that level. Too lazy to look it up. Honestly though, I can't even recall how I interpreted that ending the first time. In one way, it could be interpreted that it's Angel's own personal reality that she inserts herself into, and when shit gets too close to breaking the wall, she reboots it using Big Venus. Part of the reason the religious iconography was used, from my perspective, is because these characters are ultimately living in a world that they have no control over. These giant monsters run amok, to and fro, and humans can do nothing to stop them.

I mean, look at how useless the fucking police are. Seriously, the police captain is literally a garbage tier Jim Gordon (which is saying a lot because Jim Gordon is a goddamned manimal).

There's also the philosophy of how memories affect us, in the sense that no matter how many times your memories get erased and rearranged, that there is still a part of you in there. That was my final takeaway from that storyline.

It's all quite interesting. Though, I think the biggest bummer was that the dialogue got way to repetitive (take a shot every time the word "Memories" is used). It makes trying to interpret the message really rough.

That's how I see it too. Angel put herself into the virtual reality but erased her own memory as well. That's why everything resets as she remembers who she is. I think there was a lot they left unexplained, possibly for a future season, such as the Union, the visions of the Megadeuce wars, android Roger Smiths, the whole thing with Roger not aging, etc. But it's fine as is.

Man, what a great show. Was definitely so much better on the rewatch.

Ray Down

Banned
Man, just reading that recent Avengers thread in the off-topic I now understand Daemul feelings on comic-book related threads here.

Tumblr's going to have a field day with that one. Don't they already ship those two random air bending women from the third season? Lol nobody gives two fucks for Booster Gold.
"I care sir." "Shut up, Skeets."
Are the Wonder Twins really trying to drown Aquaman?
King of the sea, remember?
The thing about Waller's experiments is, they're all really stupid.
Yeah lol, at least he got that cute scientist.
A damsel in distress is his favorite kind of damsel.
That's how I see it too. Angel put herself into the virtual reality but erased her own memory as well. That's why everything resets as she remembers who she is. I think there was a lot they left unexplained, possibly for a future season, such as the Union, the visions of the Megadeuce wars, android Roger Smiths, the whole thing with Roger not aging, etc. But it's fine as is.

Man, what a great show. Was definitely so much better on the rewatch.
Let's see if I recall:

The Union was basically a group of people who were essentially remembering, although we never find out about this "War" that everyone keeps referring to aside from the fact that the Megadeuces were involved. The Roger Smiths were either a dream, or the implication is that there were multiple Roger Smiths created to pilot the Bigs (O, Fau, Duo) and this story is just following one of those. The whole bit about tomatoes has something to do with basically breeding new pilots for the Bigs. Roger not aging probably has to do with the memory reset.

Man, just reading that recent Avengers thread in the off-topic I now understand Daemul feelings on comic-book related threads here.

You don't even know, dude. You don't even know.

360pages

I wonder if Avatar will ever get movies like DBZ been getting lately. Or did the Live Action one legit kill any interest in making said movie.

Because the Frieza Movie is getting a theater release over here too. This summer

Good point on that one. I just kept calling Galatea "Power Girl" cause of her god damn boob window.
Well she is the DCAU's version of Power Girl. In the current New 52 run, Power Girl is just Earth 2's Supergirl.
Man, I guess comic-books is serious business.

Are the shows (Arrow, Flash, Shield) OTs just as bad?
Eh, every once in awhile someone brings up another show and then there's a dick waving contest about which show is better. For the most part, not really though. The Flash and Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. OTs are fairly positive. The Arrow one is a bit more cynical, but that's understandable considering how this season has been going.

Basically, the reason why comic threads end up like that is because people who know nothing about comics swoop in and shit talk comic stuff. Then, the people who are actually invested in comics as a hobby (such as myself) get upset because people are shit talking the thing that we invest a great deal of time (and money) into. The part that makes it really bad, though, is that the people talking smack act as if they are some sort of authority on the matter, which they aren't and they never were.

It's not that comics are serious business, it's that because comic book stuff (shows, games, movies, etc) is so popular right now that these comic-related topics bring out everyone. So you've got your typical assholes mixing with people who are genuinely excited and then you get a thread that's exactly like any other thread on a popular topic.
I wonder if Avatar will ever get movies like DBZ been getting lately. Or did the Live Action one legit kill any interest in making said movie.

Because the Frieza Movie is getting a theater release over here too. This summer
I hope there aren't any. Bryan and Mike said they are done with the Avatarverse in terms of animation. My problem with DB is that it hasn't fucking stopped. Ever. ATLA/TLoK can have their ending and leave it there.

360pages

Well she is the DCAU's version of Power Girl. In the current New 52 run, Power Girl is just Earth 2's Supergirl.

Eh, every once in awhile someone brings up another show and then there's a dick waving contest about which show is better. For the most part, not really though. The Flash and Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. OTs are fairly positive. The Arrow one is a bit more cynical, but that's understandable considering how this season has been going.

Basically, the reason why comic threads end up like that is because people who know nothing about comics swoop in and shit talk comic stuff. Then, the people who are actually invested in comics as a hobby (such as myself) get upset because people are shit talking the thing that we invest a great deal of time (and money) into. The part that makes it really bad, though, is that the people talking smack act as if they are some sort of authority on the matter, which they aren't and they never were.

It's not that comics are serious business, it's that because comic book stuff (shows, games, movies, etc) is so popular right now that these comic-related topics bring out everyone. So you've got your typical assholes mixing with people who are genuinely excited and then you get a thread that's exactly like any other thread on a popular topic.

I hope there aren't any. Bryan and Mike said they are done with the Avatarverse in terms of animation. My problem with DB is that it hasn't fucking stopped. Ever. ATLA/TLoK can have their ending and leave it there.

No...GT doesn't count ignore it.

I actually don't mind series going on forever as long as they're still fun to watch and enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom