• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Korra: Book 4 |OT2| ALL HAIL THE GREAT UNITER

Status
Not open for further replies.
That part is so fucked up and hilarious at the same time. I'm surprised he didn't ask John to shine his shoes.

JLU: Shadow of the Hawk:

HOLY FUCKING SHIT SHAYERA IS HOT IN THAT DRESS!!!! "Judas Priest!!" John is like:
gary-patterson-sweat-wipe.gif

Chaos at the Earth's Core:

Lol they have Gamera attacking a city. Lol you don't throw shade at Supergirl in Japan. I do prefer Kara's new costume over the old one. I swear half this episode looks like an 80's heavy metal album cover.
Bringing in that Hawk plotline was such a strange decision. Especially considering the focus she had in the previous few seasons. I would have vastly preferred a story arc focusing on someone else. It's a weird storyline altogether, and I don't quite care for it. To be quite frank, it makes little sense in the grand scheme of things as well. See, in the comics the Hawks have alternated between two origins: Mythical Egyptian reincarnation, or Thanagarians.

The show brings them in via Thanagar, and then brings in the reincarnation plot. The reincarnation doesn't make much sense, though. It feels like it clashes. Shayera is supposed to be the reincarnation of the queen, but she's also the only one of the three that isn't from Earth. John and Carter are both from Earth. It just feels so out of place.

Veelk

Banned
Kids, do not take a 2 hour nap at 12 am. Time gnomes come out and warp 2 hours into 6 hours without actually lengthening the time you sleep.

Bringing in that Hawk plotline was such a strange decision. Especially considering the focus she had in the previous few seasons. I would have vastly preferred a story arc focusing on someone else. It's a weird storyline altogether, and I don't quite care for it. To be quite frank, it makes little sense in the grand scheme of things as well. See, in the comics the Hawks have alternated between two origins: Mythical Egyptian reincarnation, or Thanagarians.

The show brings them in via Thanagar, and then brings in the reincarnation plot. The reincarnation doesn't make much sense, though. It feels like it clashes. Shayera is supposed to be the reincarnation of the queen, but she's also the only one of the three that isn't from Earth. John and Carter are both from Earth. It just feels so out of place.
Carter is a very uninteresting stalker, that's all I can add to that conversation. He's not unique, he doesn't really need to be there and he's there just so Shayera can make another guy on the show wipe his brow. Because they very rarely comment on how attractive she actually is on the show. Diana gets it all the time though when Shayera is actually more unique looking.

Carter is a very uninteresting stalker, that's all I can add to that conversation. He's not unique, he doesn't really need to be there and he's there just so Shayera can make another guy on the show wipe his brow. Because they very rarely comment on how attractive she actually is on the show. Diana gets it all the time though when Shayera is actually more unique looking.

Carter is very uninteresting, that's true. He really is. It's just...for the final season, it's really out of place, it feels like.

Wasn't a fan of that whole thing, hell wasn't even a fan of the whole mole shit/ invasion arc either.

Always felt like a cheap way to bring drama to their relationship and cause some tension in a group that didn't have much in the first place (Diana being all salty about it afterwards, etc)

"We are destined to be with each other, some day you will realize this." I think the whole theme between John and Shayera just seems to be destiny.
They really push it, and it's frustrating because if they're supposed to be together, then why doesn't John break it off with Vixen. Hell, even Vixen knows it won't last and everyone is pretty clear on the fact that they know John is just in denial for...reasons? I guess?
Wasn't a fan of that whole thing, hell wasn't even a fan of the whole mole shit/ invasion arc either.

Always felt like a cheap way to bring drama to their relationship and cause some tension in a group that didn't have much in the first place (Diana being all salty about it afterwards, etc)
Dude Starcrossed is amazing. I thought that arc was fantastic. Plus, Diana being salty was perfect. Her and Shayera bonded together as warrior sisters, since the whole "warrior" thing is very prominent in both their cultures. And the sisterhood thing is very prominent in Amazonian culture, so Diana being hurt and betrayed by it made so much sense. I really liked it.
Yeah, the new bruce tim one.
I have not, though by the gods I will watch that movie.

They really push it, and it's frustrating because if they're supposed to be together, then why doesn't John break it off with Vixen. Hell, even Vixen knows it won't last and everyone is pretty clear on the fact that they know John is just in denial for...reasons? I guess?
John is so in denial over it, even Bruce teases him over it. If Shayera popped into an elevator like that with me in it she'd have to mace me in the face to get me off of her.

Dude Starcrossed is amazing. I thought that arc was fantastic. Plus, Diana being salty was perfect. Her and Shayera bonded together as warrior sisters, since the whole "warrior" thing is very prominent in both their cultures. And the sisterhood thing is very prominent in Amazonian culture, so Diana being hurt and betrayed by it made so much sense. I really liked it.

Eh still thought it was a waste of everyone's time.

John is so in denial over it, even Bruce teases him over it. If Shayera popped into an elevator like that with me in it she'd have to mace me in the face to get me off of her.

He saw his own fucking son 30 years in the future and was still like "i dont know". IIRC I remember laughing when John asked who his mother was

Well this took a turn...
Eh still thought it was a waste of everyone's time.

He saw his own fucking son 30 years in the future and was still like "i dont know". IIRC I remember laughing when John asked who his mother was

A waste of everyone's time how? An actual good character arc that also gives space to develop other characters, considering the expanded cast we ended up getting? Like, that needed to happen.

He doesn't want to be controlled by destiny, yet he's running around constantly thirsty for his one true bae.

And that's the problem with it. The love triangle is a perfectly good story arc, but the entire base for it is stupid since John has no legitimate reason for why he isn't with her.

Well this took a turn...
The woman he's probably been Jonesing for for probably a year walked into an elevator like this to go out on a date with another man, if that doesn't get every ounce of your blood pumping then I don't know what to say to you.
And that's the problem with it. The love triangle is a perfectly good story arc, but the entire base for it is stupid since John has no legitimate reason for why he isn't with her.
John is being a fucking idiot and I'm pretty sure somewhere in that Marine head of his even he knows it.

Well this took a turn...

A waste of everyone's time how? An actual good character arc that also gives space to develop other characters, considering the expanded cast we ended up getting? Like, that needed to happen.

And broke a bunch of stuff (resulting in all the John horseshit afterwards lol) that honestly didn't need to be broken imo.

If they wanted to get an expanded cast there were other ways to do that plus i thought the snafu with Flash in the other universe or the short lived Batman snafu were more interesting ways of "shaking up everything" and i would have had a bit more investment rather than random invasion/betrayal.

Just was not a fan of what was sacrificed *shrug*

And broke a bunch of stuff (resulting in all the John horseshit afterwards lol) that honestly didn't need to be broken imo.

If they wanted to get an expanded cast there were other ways to do that plus i thought the snafu with Flash in the other universe or the short lived Batman snafu were more interesting ways of "shaking up everything" and i would have had a bit more investment rather than random invasion/betrayal.

*shrug*

It really didn't break anything, though. Like, the John stuff happens, and her and Diana are salty for a bit, but it goes back to normal pretty quick. You mention breaking things that didn't need to be broken, but you don't bring up the episode with Grodd's Injustice Gang and how the team was at each other's throats? It made the entire team uneasy towards each other, so the Shayera thing wasn't all that out of nowhere. Plus, it wasn't a betrayal. Shayera didn't really betray anyone, she went against it and she was painted as a traitor. This caused her to leave the team until she could figure her shit out.

Having multiple shakeups isn't a bad thing, especially when you're trying to keep everything from getting stale.

It really didn't break anything, though. Like, the John stuff happens, and her and Diana are salty for a bit, but it goes back to normal pretty quick. You mention breaking things that didn't need to be broken, but you don't bring up the episode with Grodd's Injustice Gang and how the team was at each other's throats? It made the entire team uneasy towards each other, so the Shayera thing wasn't all that out of nowhere. Plus, it wasn't a betrayal. Shayera didn't really betray anyone, she went against it and she was painted as a traitor. This caused her to leave the team until she could figure her shit out.

Having multiple shakeups isn't a bad thing, especially when you're trying to keep everything from getting stale.

It actually did with the John stuff although it started to get humorous due to how out of touch he started to be. Plus i didn't remember about that grood stuff but i feel that was a better way (along with the flash stuff and batman issue) of shaking up the team as a whole, instead of one taking the brunt of the fall (only to be patched up eventually because off course it will).

Also it was a betrayal since she had an active role in the invasion and knew from the beginning (plus that supposed relationship with that commander dude whose name i fail to remember) and going all in with the invaders but decided to instead go against it (iirc especially when she learnt the planet would be destroyed instead) and betrayed the invaders.Regardless of her eventual intention in the end that initial betrayal was seen as such and still stung everyone (especially Diana to the point where she voted for her expulsion :p).

I just think that was too much to place on someone's plate just to shake things up and especially a character who grew on you that much.

Its kinda like the Aang stuff from ATLA to Korra where this good kid who loved the concept of family and watched him grow apparently turned a POS to his own family (based on his kids worth but hey) and your'e like "wut, why?"

Finally, no i'm not saying the arc was shit or whatever, just saying i wasn't much of a fan of what was sacrificed for it when i feel they could have done something better.

And with that i'm out
6Ma24sk.gif

It actually did with the John stuff although it started to get humorous due to how out of touch he started to be. Plus i didn't remember about that grood stuff but i feel that was a better way (along with the flash stuff and batman issue) of shaking up the team as a whole, instead of one taking the brunt of the fall (only to be patched up eventually because off course it will).

Also it was a betrayal since she had an active role in the invasion and knew from the beginning (plus that supposed relationship with that commander dude whose name i fail to remember) and going all in with the invaders but decided to instead go against it (iirc especially when she learnt the planet would be destroyed instead) and betrayed the invaders.Regardless of her eventual intention in the end that initial betrayal was seen as such and still stung everyone (especially Diana to the point where she voted for her expulsion :p).

I just think that was too much to place on someone's plate just to shake things up and especially a character who grew on you that much.

Its kinda like the Aang stuff from ATLA to Korra where this good kid who loved the concept of family and watched him grow apparently turned a POS to his own family (based on his kids worth but hey) and your'e like "wut, why?"

Finally, no i'm not saying the arc was shit or whatever, just saying i wasn't much of a fan of what was sacrificed for it when i feel they could have done something better.

And with that i'm out
6Ma24sk.gif
But Aang isn't the POS parent, Toph is. Aang's kids had some adequacy problems, but they are nowhere near the level of fucked up as Toph's kids are. Zuko has the better kids though.

But Aang isn't the POS parent, Toph is. Aang's kids had some adequacy problems, but they are nowhere near the level of fucked up as Toph's kids are. Zuko has the better kids though.

The thing with Toph is that it wasn't surprising (at least to me) though *shrug*.

Most of the surprise would be attributed to the fact she didn't change as much during those years (even though she became chief of Police and that showed some amount of responsibility).

Ray Down

Banned

Yeah Aang was not a bad parent, just because your dad doesn't spend much time with their kids doesn't mean there a bad parent. There a reason Aang spent more time with Tenzin and it makes sense.

Besides for Aang, Tenzin was the only other Airbender I mean who else was going to teach him to airbend, teach him about their cultures, there ways, beliefs, etc. And its not like Aang didn't spend time with Bumi or Kya. Plus you got to think being the avatar and such you are busy with work so you can't be with your kids always.

This is some disney dad stuff.

I saw that Bumi and Kya were more mad that they weren't seen as Aang kids too and that Tenzin was acting like he carrying the world on his shoulders.

Yeah Aang was not a bad parent, just because your dad doesn't spend much time with their kids doesn't mean there a bad parent. There a reason Aang spent more time with Tenzin and it makes sense.

Besides for Aang, Tenzin was the only other Airbender I mean who else was going to teach him to airbend, teach him about their cultures, there ways, beliefs, etc. And its not like Aang didn't spend time with Bumi or Kya. Plus you got to think being the avatar and such you are busy with work so you can't be with your kids always.

This is some disney dad stuff.

I saw that Bumi and Kya were more mad that they weren't seen as Aang kids too and that Tenzin was acting like he carrying the world on his shoulders.
Tenzins main problem was that he was trying to be a carbon copy of Aang, he isn't. Kya and Bumi were just salty that they didn't go on some of the same field trips that Tenzin did, but they're normal and socially adjusted kids and didn't hold the intense grudge that Lin, Su and Toph did.
The thing with Toph is that it wasn't surprising (at least to me) though *shrug*.

Most of the surprise would be attributed to the fact she didn't change as much during those years (even though she became chief of Police and that showed some amount of responsibility).
Whether it was expected or not I'm still going to beat Toph over the head with that shit. How Toph can be as "wise" as she is and not be somewhat introspective and learn from her mistakes and not realize that she's fucking up her own kids and that it's in her families own best interest for her to grow up and adjust her thought process a bit is beyond me. She didn't even think she was doing anything wrong until one of her kids threatened to cut her out of her life.

Ray Down

Banned
Tenzins main problem was that he was trying to be a carbon copy of Aang, he isn't. Kya and Bumi were just salty that they didn't go on some of the same field trips that Tenzin did, but they're normal and socially adjusted kids and didn't hold the intense grudge that Lin, Su and Toph did.

Yeah that's right Tenzing was trying to live up to his dad by being like him. I remember Kya calling him out on that.

As I said there a cycle of bad parents in the Beifong family

Veelk

Banned
Asami looks pretty much the same, except her bun moves or she lets her hair down like it was in Books 1-3. You can't improve on perfection, I guess.

* looks at saint seiya, Sailor Moon, and dragon ball*

Of course. ... Why did you think otherwise?

This whole part 3 business is the best thing to happen to the franchise in a while

I don't know exactly how long it's going to last, but this is a chance to kind of start fresh and leave all of the other BS far back in the past. Naruto already ended at a terrible note (I actually like the ending itself, just not the buildup to it) so this part 3 stuff has a good chance at being better.

I never really complained about much about the manga in it's straight garbage stages though, just because I stopped expecting genuine quality from Naruto a long time ago, and was just kind of in it for the ride. So I still had fun following along with it.

Not that i'm super hopeful or anything, it's more of a matter of, Naruto has been bad for a long time, this is kinda like a fresh start to take the story in a new, interesting direction... I mean, I don't expect part 3 to go on that long. Even though it's been stated as a mini series, there is a lot of belief that it may end up expanding past that. I hope it happens, but I can't say i'm expecting it. I guess you could say I wouldn't be surprised either way. Even if this does ending up being bad, I still have the "in it for the ride" mentality activated, so as long as the characters are still fun to follow, then I'll probably still enjoy it.

TL:DR - can this really end up being worse than the war arc

He was perfectly fine in season 1, then weird shit happened. I don't hate season 2, but to be honest he should've just ended up with that cute police chief. Them making it all about that albino girl didn't help anything.

I always got the vibe that S2 was a case of "We have a fully realized story, but we only have the budget for half of the episodes that we need, so we'll just abridge it. Sorry that it doesn't make sense as much."

I will remain vigilant for S3.

I always got the vibe that S2 was a case of "We have a fully realized story, but we only have the budget for half of the episodes that we need, so we'll just abridge it. Sorry that it doesn't make sense as much."

I will remain vigilant for S3.
It did seem pretty half realized. It's an interesting world, but the execution on sesaon 2 is poor. I did find enjoyment from watching it at least.

Ray Down

Banned
* looks at saint seiya, Sailor Moon, and dragon ball*

Of course. ... Why did you think otherwise?

1. A new Sailor Moon anime makes sense. The original one was very different from the manga in many ways and the new anime is alot closer to the source. Its like FMA Brotherhood: An anime of a popular series that is more closer to the original source material.

2. Saint Seiya is still continuing, the manga restarted in 2006. Omega (like the only anime since the original) is a non canon spin-off of the original series basically GT.

3. Dragon Ball is only back to make money, since kids at the time when it came out are older and thus have more disposable income for nostalgia.

I was fine with Part 3 being a mini series, but having a movie before it even comes out.

Village

1. A new Sailor Moon anime makes sense. The original one was very different from the manga in many ways and the new anime is alot closer to the source. Its like FMA Brotherhood: An anime of a popular series that is more closer to the original source material.

2. Saint Seiya is still continuing, the manga restarted in 2006. Omega (like the only anime since the original) is a non canon spin-off of the original series basically GT.

3. Dragon Ball is only back to make money, since kids at the time when it came out are older and thus have more disposable income for nostalgia.

I was fine with Part 3 being a mini series, but having a movie before it even comes out.

You are trying to devise reasoning as to why its ok for A and not ok for B or N rather. But at the end of the day, they are extending their franchise for those who want it, and make a lot of money on every account I listed. And that is what naruto is doing, and you are nuts. NUTS if you thought that wasn't going to happen.

There is the joke Daniel tosh makes about Brett Favre thats relevant right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom